closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Black Bay GMT opinions

Tudor Black Bay GMT opinions

I’ve got a hankering for a Pepsi GMT and I’ve got my eye on the Tudor. Obviously I’ll go and try one on but just wanted to get views of any owners. How does it wear for 41mm I’ve got a Seamaster 2264 which is 41mm so think that’s fine, comparisons welcome.

Any others that I should look at? Budget up to £2.5k ish; happy with used rather than new.

Whilst not tried one on, but based upon some reviews, the Tudor wears slightly slab sided (fault with many of the larger cased BBs).

Nice review here from James Stacey on Hodinkee.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tu...bay-gmt-review

Based upon the pepsi colour way you are after, Tag offer an Aquaracer - https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/timep...1F.BA0927.html whilst a few mm larger, wears slimmer than the Tudor, also not a caller GMT if that's what you after. Deals probably can be had though as the older design Aquaracer.

It's very thick and the flat, polished sides don't help.

Master
    Found it too heavy personally. The whole watch just wears very big, the slab sided design of the case, the 22mm lug width, the 50mm lug to lug measurement, the height. If you like big watches then crack on but be under no illusion about its size and weight.

Well, that’s burst my balloon. Very helpfully, I might add. No, I don’t really do well with big watches so probably not for me. I’ll try it on anyway, but any others or is the 16710 the best (I’m not a fan of the later iterations), budget notwithstanding?

EJ have it on strap at 20% off if that helps

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/tudor-...gaAtbjEALw_wcB

Journeyman
    I have the Tudor and previously had the tag aquaracer gmt .Sold the tag as not a patch in quality to the Tudor. The Tudor is big , slab sides ,long lug to lug ,heavy case and a chunky bracelet.

I recently got a 3rd party extension link , similar to the easylink and it’s made the bracelet a lot more comfortable.That said I prefer it on a good quality leather strap .It was a bit of a hype watch when it came out originally and if released now the overall size would stop me from buying it.

Apprentice
    As a counter opinion: I have a 7-inch wrist and always found it comfortable and not too big/thick or heavy at all. For comparison I have owned and been happy with 37mm Nomos, 38mm Murph, 40mm Grand Seiko, 37mm Rado, 38mm Farer, 38mm Serica, G-Shock metal square. Yes it has presence, but it's not ungainly IMHO.

Craftsman
    I've got one of these and I agree that it has presence but it's not crazy over the top in size like a Panerai. I've tried it on a leather strap and a Crafter Blue rubber strap, but gravitated back to the original bracelet. This seems to work best for me - probably the size of the bracelet balances out the size of the watch head and it stops the whole thing feeling "top heavy".

Craftsman
    I think it’s a cracking watch with a splendid dial and bezel. Sadly however I found it way too big for my wrist. The slab sides and the large lug-width just didn’t work out for me. It felt very top heavy. I tried it with straps but they looked rubbish because of the long lugs. I sold it, missed it, bought another, sold it again. When they do a BB 58 Pepsi GMT it will be a happy day for many.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve happily worn large watches like the 44mm Panerai Luminor, but the full fat Blackbay cases just look top heavy and ill-proportioned on my wrist, there’s just something I don’t like about the way they wear. In contrast I’m wearing a Blackbay 58 which has barely left my wrist in over a year.

Master
    As others have said it’s a big chunk of metal, slab sides and big lug to lug dimensions. I didn’t wear mine much and subsequently moved it on. Quality for the money was great but I just found it too big.

If it was available in similar proportions to BB58 I’d have one in a heartbeat.

39 mm Longines Spirit GMT? Not a Pepsi but a lot of watch for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    If you want an alternative- can I suggest the Black Bay Pro - it doesn’t have a rotating bezel - similar to the Explorer II. But much better proportion at 39mm

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

If you want a decent GMT and in my opinion only, these are one of the best value and nicest looking watches I have seen in the flesh and for around £250'ish you cant go wrong:

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/news/20220608

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If you want an alternative- can I suggest the Black Bay Pro - it doesn’t have a rotating bezel - similar to the Explorer II. But much better proportion at 39mm

Would agree with this. I’ve owned both. The Pepsi is gone due to all the reasons already stated, and whilst the Pro is still a tall watch, it wears so much nicer. My favourite Tudor so far.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Again, I will try when I get the chance but based on my experience of bigger/heavier watches, it probably won’t be for me.

I have other steel bezel GMTs, but it’s specifically the blue/red colour that I’m after. Maybe holding out for the BB58 GMT is the answer…

Master
    I still like mine, under certain light and angles it has a very Rolex 5 digit look. But yes it is a tad heavy and slab sided, works better on a nato or leather strap imo than the bracelet

Grand Master
    Side by side to some watches it aint big.
    On my 7.25" wrist I dont consider it BIG at all.Yes bigger than my 14060 for eg,but smaller than my biggest G-Shock.

Try it......only you will know,everything here is just opinion.

Craftsman
    I don’t own one but have tried one on my 6 3/4” flat wrist and found it fitted ok lug to lug which I didn’t expect as I prefer 36-39mm dia watches), though the height made it stand up more than I liked.
    I bought a BB54 instead which fits well and has a much lower profile. I’d have liked a 12 hour bezel on it so it could be used as a simple GMT, as I find the 60 minute bezel functionally pointless.

Tried the Opaline dial on today at the local Boutique, looked surprisingly good on so I have ordered one on the fabric as I can never get the bracelet to fit and it will be worn on various straps.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Completely agree with Martyn here.

For me its the best Tudor release for years and is such a complete, elegant watch. Some will say it's too thick but once you have it on your wrist (especially on the steel bracelet) for any time you will love it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Would agree with this. I’ve owned both. The Pepsi is gone due to all the reasons already stated, and whilst the Pro is still a tall watch, it wears so much nicer. My favourite Tudor so far.

Agree with this too. I have a BB Pro and it’s become my daily. Yes the sides are a bit square and it wears slightly tall but makes up for that and more in other areas. And they’re becoming more of a stock item in shops (I’ve seen a few in the window recently) so you should be able to try one on.

Journeyman
    And being a true GMT makes it handy to use the functionality when travelling

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Completely agree with Martyn here.

For me its the best Tudor release for years and is such a complete, elegant watch. Some will say it's too thick but once you have it on your wrist (especially on the steel bracelet) for any time you will love it.
    Another in agreement here. I wear mine an awful lot; I find it incredibly comfy.