closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    Sorry. That may of been me a little earlier on :)
    I'll forgive you because I can't blame you. :)

I seem to have become addicted to wallets. This is still a cheaper hobby than watches :)

Anyway, my latest favourite I found on Walletopia, which is a very dangerous web site and YouTube Channel. One of the host's favourites and highest scoring minimalist, leather wallets is the Craft and Lore Port Wallet. After checking several reviews, I thought I would treat myself to a Port Wallet in Horween Chromexcel. The design is really clever, in that it's one piece of leather cut, folded and stitched into a spiral, thereby providing you with several card and cash slots. Even new, before break in, my wonky arthritic fingers can access all my cards and cash really easily. As for the smell - well you know it's heavenly.

The overall cost including shipping for a handmade, unique wallet is still less than many of the mass produced "branded" wallets on the likes of Amazon.

Master
    With the advent of the new plastic £20 notes I've moved back to a 'Secret Felicity' wallet £18 from amazon. It's a folding wallet with a money clip in the center, window pocket on one outside face for drivers license, quick access 'pushup' single card pocket on the other for your most used bank cards. Inside it has room for 4-8 cards depending on whether you want to double up in a slot.
    My last one was going strong but the old 'big' 20's were doing my head in, So I swapped it for a bigger one that I never really bonded with. Someone finally bought me one for my recent birthday so I'm a happy man again. Well recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Lea...s%2C161&sr=8-2

Master
    I've stuck with a fat wallet as I can't my my driving licence in one of these new funky ones and I don't want RFID protection as seems to be compulsory with all new wallets on the market.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Well mine arrived today and it looks just the ticket!

Thanks OP!
    5 years on I’m still using mine every day, and although the leather is distressing nicely, there’s no sign of it breaking or weakening.

It’s this one (and I will update this post with a pic of mine later)

https://www.slimwalletjunkie.com/pro...MaAi1fEALw_wcB

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I've stuck with a fat wallet as I can't my my driving licence in one of these new funky ones and I don't want RFID protection as seems to be compulsory with all new wallets on the market.
    My drivers licence fits in mine? And why wouldn’t you want RFID? I can’t think of any reason not to have it?

This thread put me onto skinny wallets, and I've become a believer. I've been using the fabric/elastic Crabby Gear wallet for several years now.

Craftsman
    Not sure if anyone else uses one, or has shown it already in the thread but I use a Fjallraven card holder.

https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/...=1224518661851

I’ve got a matching key ring too lol

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I seem to have become addicted to wallets. This is still a cheaper hobby than watches :)

Anyway, my latest favourite I found on Walletopia, which is a very dangerous web site and YouTube Channel. One of the host's favourites and highest scoring minimalist, leather wallets is the Craft and Lore Port Wallet. After checking several reviews, I thought I would treat myself to a Port Wallet in Horween Chromexcel. The design is really clever, in that it's one piece of leather cut, folded and stitched into a spiral, thereby providing you with several card and cash slots. Even new, before break in, my wonky arthritic fingers can access all my cards and cash really easily. As for the smell - well you know it's heavenly.

The overall cost including shipping for a handmade, unique wallet is still less than many of the mass produced "branded" wallets on the likes of Amazon.

Just ordered a Port in natural finish having seen your post.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Just ordered a Port in natural finish having seen your post.
    Apologies for the tardy reply. I hope you have received and are enjoying your Port Wallet.

Since last posting in this thread, I decided I'd like another of their wallets and bought the Insider which is a little more traditional and larger. Again, I ordered in Horween natural Chromexcel. The key feature was the quick access slot on the exterior for tap and pay. With strategic placement of my cards, I should be able to use that and protect my credit cards with my RFID card. I know that RFID crime is not really a thing, but it makes me feel more comfortable when out and about. Delivery is due this week, in the meantime here's a stock shot.

There's a new video on YouTube where the owners and makers of Craft & Lore set out why they set up the business.

I've also bought a Trove Cash Wrap, which is handy for a smaller number of cards, plenty of cash and even some coins in the "hidden" pocket in the back. The pull tab is useful for quick access too. As you can see it's tiny. :)

Sometimes any wallet is wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Sometimes any wallet is wrong...

You need some rubber bands, a brief case and an armed guard. :)
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    Old school bi-fold from Leatherology for me. Must be the only person here who's wallet is kept slim enough by this goddamn hobby.

Just got one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brilliant if you can keep to 3 cards & just a couple of folded notes.

Of course, makes the consequence of losing your phone even worse.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Just got one of these

Given me the idea to store emergency note between phone and my case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Just got one of these

I like the idea but I’m put off by the fact that my wallet lasts much longer than my phone.

I’ve got one of these. Blocks signals, holds all the cards I will ever need, including a SwissCard. Takes bank notes etc.
    9:99 £ can’t fault it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I may have mentioned, I've got a bit of a wallet problem... I have far too many.

The one I'm trialling at the moment was one which I was hesitant to try, given its possible perception as a "purse." I give you the Bellroy Card Pocket in Caramel.

You can check all the dimensions and features on the link but I've been very impressed with its capacity, if you want to carry a good number of cards, some cash and a few notes also - all in a very small form factor, made from some nice leather.

On one side is a high pocket for coins. I bung in a pound coin for the shopping trolly. On the other side is a pocket for notes which I fold into thirds, but you could fold in half. There's a small slot for a SIM card if you needed that and the middle section is for your credit cards. I carry a debit card, two credit cards, two loyalty cards, and RFID card and a Tile Slim tracker card.

I really didn't think I'd like it but there's enough space for all of the above and it's very easy to get everything in and out, even with wonky fingers. The leather is robust as well, although I did have to lubricate the zip to break it in. It's fine now.

I'm very pleased with it and still a little surprised that I am. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I’ve got one of these. Blocks signals, holds all the cards I will ever need, including a SwissCard. Takes bank notes etc.
    9:99 £ can’t fault it.

Do you have a link to that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Try here. It is we’re I got my 2 secrids. I have tried numerous slim wallets including bellboy but I wouldn’t use anything else nowadays.

https://www.slimwalletjunkie.com/collections/secrid

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Here’s my purchase link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RFID-....m46890.l49286

There’s also single versions available and I had one for 5 years before swopping for a double.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been using this Paul Smith wallet for years, very slim

Carries 4 cards, but has 6 slots. Some notes and a Swiss Army knife. Also some other slots where the knife goes.

Pretty minimal.

Edit. Still available. https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/men-s-b...it-card-wallet
    Last edited by Montello; 13th June 2021 at 16:34.

Journeyman
    Still rocking my three wallets

I-Clip
    Trove Swift
    Loft of Cambie WOLYT

I tried a Secrid but as I use my back trouser pocket for my wallet, I couldn’t get used to sitting on a hump of Aluminium. Maybe il grab one of the copies to test again,

Blog Entries
    Still rocking my three wallets

I-Clip
    Trove Swift
    Loft of Cambie WOLYT

I tried a Secrid but as I use my back trouser pocket for my wallet, I couldn’t get used to sitting on a hump of Aluminium. Maybe il grab one of the copies to test again,
    Now you’ve had the I-Clip for a while how are you doing with it?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I have been using this Paul Smith wallet for years, very slim

Carries 4 cards, but has 6 slots. Some notes and a Swiss Army knife. Also some other slots where the knife goes.

Pretty minimal.

Edit. Still available. https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/men-s-b...it-card-wallet
    Think I have a similar one, my wife bought it on the sly when we were in the Mayfair outlet store, the only problem was she was 1 year early for the leather anniversary gift and I'm still not allowed to use it until then as it would be bad luck apparently!?

I also picked this up reduced to £25 from £125 in John Lewis after it reopened post lockdown 1 last year. Lovely quality, fits a few cards comfortably and you don't even know its in your pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Now you’ve had the I-Clip for a while how are you doing with it?
    Sorry for the late reply.

The iclip has been a soldier. No cracks yet, leather is still holding fine. Holds decent amount of notes when I need it to.

The only thing I’ve noticed is. I hold about 5 cards in it inc a rfid blocker card. If I carry less cards for example the plastic spring thing inside is a little loose and doesn’t hold the cards tight as if there were 5 cards in. But still Is fine and the cards don’t fall out.

I picked up another Secrid wallet, going to give this another go

Journeyman
    As I may have mentioned, I've got a bit of a wallet problem... I have far too many.

The one I'm trialling at the moment was one which I was hesitant to try, given its possible perception as a "purse." I give you the Bellroy Card Pocket in Caramel.

You can check all the dimensions and features on the link but I've been very impressed with its capacity, if you want to carry a good number of cards, some cash and a few notes also - all in a very small form factor, made from some nice leather.

On one side is a high pocket for coins. I bung in a pound coin for the shopping trolly. On the other side is a pocket for notes which I fold into thirds, but you could fold in half. There's a small slot for a SIM card if you needed that and the middle section is for your credit cards. I carry a debit card, two credit cards, two loyalty cards, and RFID card and a Tile Slim tracker card.

I really didn't think I'd like it but there's enough space for all of the above and it's very easy to get everything in and out, even with wonky fingers. The leather is robust as well, although I did have to lubricate the zip to break it in. It's fine now.

This has caught my attention now. How you getting along with it ? Can you use it in say a jeans back pocket? And if so, is it comfortable when sitting down? Does the loose change inside the coin pocket cause an indent in the outside leather?

This has caught my attention now. How you getting along with it ? Can you use it in say a jeans back pocket? And if so, is it comfortable when sitting down? Does the loose change inside the coin pocket cause an indent in the outside leather?
    Hi,

Thanks for the questions.

I personally don't put wallets in my back trouser pocket but it would definitely fit as it's just larger than a credit card. The leather is soft, so I imagine it would be comfortable.

I usually keep just a single £1 coin in there, for the shopping trolley at the supermarket, and so far there's no indentations shown. You can see the diagonal lip of the internal pockets appear on the leather, and having looked at YouTube reviews that does seem to be usual for this leather, which is soft but developing a nice shine, compared to when it was brand new.

I still really like this and bought another one for my brother for his holidays. It's small but has a great deal of capacity, and the zip of course means it's very secure but quick to open. The zip has worn in and is now very smooth.

Here are a couple of shots, with a month and a half of use.

And a final shot of the capacity. Going left to right, you can see the top of the deep coin pocket, the middle section with 5 cards and the tile tracker which counts as 2 cards, then the cash pocket with 2x£10s and a fiver folded in thirds. You could easily add another five cards, or more notes or coins. You may also be able to make out a final feature on the right lip, a space for a SIM card. Not something I've needed.

Last edited by dkpw; 10th July 2021 at 15:50.

Journeyman
    Hi,

Thanks for the questions.

I personally don't put wallets in my back trouser pocket but it would definitely fit as it's just larger than a credit card. The leather is soft, so I imagine it would be comfortable.

I usually keep just a single £1 coin in there, for the shopping trolley at the supermarket, and so far there's no indentations shown. You can see the diagonal lip of the internal pockets appear on the leather, and having looked at YouTube reviews that does seem to be usual for this leather, which is soft but developing a nice shine, compared to when it was brand new.

I still really like this and bought another one for my brother for his holidays. It's small but has a great deal of capacity, and the zip of course means it's very secure but quick to open. The zip has worn in and is now very smooth.

Here are a couple of shots, with a month and a half of use.

And a final shot of the capacity. Going left to right, you can see the top of the deep coin pocket, the middle section with 5 cards and the tile tracker which counts as 2 cards, then the cash pocket with 2x£10s and a fiver folded in thirds. You could easily add another five cards, or more notes or coins. You may also be able to make out a final feature on the right lip, a space for a SIM card. Not something I've needed.

Fantastic many thanks for the info. I think I may try it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by welshmatt View Post
    Think I have a similar one, my wife bought it on the sly when we were in the Mayfair outlet store, the only problem was she was 1 year early for the leather anniversary gift and I'm still not allowed to use it until then as it would be bad luck apparently!?

I also picked this up reduced to £25 from £125 in John Lewis after it reopened post lockdown 1 last year. Lovely quality, fits a few cards comfortably and you don't even know its in your pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Happy Anniversary.

Looks the same wallet but in a different design, I’ve been using the Paul Smith ones for years and the quality is excellent. I used to have one of those card holders but the notes always poked out a bit but now it’s the new £20 maybe it’s a better fit.

I always carry the wallet but because I now always pay using my mobile I am wondering if I could go smaller but I like having the pen knife in the wallet. I only really carry cash and cards incase the mobile does not work. It’s almost redundant now.

That Bellroy purse style above looks interesting.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the late reply.

The iclip has been a soldier. No cracks yet, leather is still holding fine. Holds decent amount of notes when I need it to.

The only thing I’ve noticed is. I hold about 5 cards in it inc a rfid blocker card. If I carry less cards for example the plastic spring thing inside is a little loose and doesn’t hold the cards tight as if there were 5 cards in. But still Is fine and the cards don’t fall out.

I picked up another Secrid wallet, going to give this another go

Thanks for that. Still using mine, I usually have 7 cards in it, credit/debit cards driving license and between £5-200 in cash depending when it was topped up last. Always on the lookout for something else but nothing I've found is is quite as minimalist or small in the pocket. Can't say I've ever bothered with the RFID card, is that still a thing?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks for that. Still using mine, I usually have 7 cards in it, credit/debit cards driving license and between £5-200 in cash depending when it was topped up last. Always on the lookout for something else but nothing I've found is is quite as minimalist or small in the pocket. Can't say I've ever bothered with the RFID card, is that still a thing?

Nice! Has your plastic clip loosened ? So if you hold less cards, do they sit a bit loose?

Tbh the rfid blocker card I have is just there to protect the cad under it from damage. Not for actual rfid protection. Does the job, although I could just use an old debit card I guess.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

The deep coin pocket on the left, is that deep enough to put credit cards ?

Blog Entries
    Nice! Has your plastic clip loosened ? So if you hold less cards, do they sit a bit loose?

Tbh the rfid blocker card I have is just there to protect the cad under it from damage. Not for actual rfid protection. Does the job, although I could just use an old debit card I guess.
    Just tried it with 3 and although not as tight they were still secure. I think it works best with 5-7 cards and some cash though.

If I was just carrying 2-3 cards and a couple notes I would probably try something like this.

https://www.walletking.co.uk/viscont...rd-holder.html

Master
    Trove users: if you’re at the petrol pumps and the slay-on-clip is broken off the pump handle, you can insert your Trove if it has about 5+ cards, to jam the handle open

Makes filling up much easier :-)

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Trove users: if you’re at the petrol pumps and the slay-on-clip is broken off the pump handle, you can insert your Trove if it has about 5+ cards, to jam the handle open

Makes filling up much easier :-)
    I'm going to try that
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

The deep coin pocket on the left, is that deep enough to put credit cards ?
    Yes, they fit but tricky to extract. You can definitely add cards to the cash slot on the right.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, they fit but tricky to extract. You can definitely add cards to the cash slot on the right.
    Ta. I may get one.

Craftsman

Just purchased one of these Wellbounds has these on offer for £36.95.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    Do you have a link? I can’t find it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    Link please

Edit

Found it. Only blue in stock

https://wildbounds.com/products/card-pocket-navy

Use code for 5% off: WELCOME5
    Last edited by bigup; 12th July 2021 at 19:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Link please

Edit

Found it. Only blue in stock

https://wildbounds.com/products/card-pocket-navy

Use code for 5% off: WELCOME5
    Ah … Wildbounds not Wellbounds.

Ta.

Journeyman
    Card Pocket arrived today, got he Navy one, seems really nice, thr zip is a little tough to undo but hoping this it will loosen up

Very nice indeed! I hope you like it.

I initially gave my zip a tiny, tiny dab of nano-oil to help it along. But it did wear in quickly. After a week or so, I didn't notice any resistance.

Earlier versions of this wallet had YKK zips but now feature OOKs, which are from Hong Kong and highly rated. YKK are Japanese and do everything in-house, so are the Seiko of zips. :)

You'll find the leather patinas really nicely as well, developing a sheen.

And the madness continues. :) A new wallet day, is always a good day.

I've finally got my hands on the Lost Dutchman's "The Finnigan" wallet, which is handmade by a 21 year old leatherworker called Nate, over in Arizona. He designs, stitches and finishes all of his wallets by hand and they're very good quality. The leather is Wickett & Craig's russet which is a glazed harness leather. It should last an age and of course get better with age.

For such a small card holder / wallet, you can see it next to a £1 coin, it has superb capacity. I've got 6 cards, a Tile card tracker and four notes folded in thirds and it's still easy to open, close the flap and there's room for more.

I'm delighted with it. Check out his site and other great leather goods.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Card Pocket arrived today, got he Navy one, seems really nice, thr zip is a little tough to undo but hoping this it will loosen up

I bought a Card Pocket and have been using it for a couple of weeks; displaced a Paul Smith one I have had years ... I think its a better solution and defiantly smaller which is the main benefit. It is also capable of swallowing up quite a lot of additional items if needed ... I think it's a keeper.

Journeyman
    I bought a Card Pocket and have been using it for a couple of weeks; displaced a Paul Smith one I have had years ... I think its a better solution and defiantly smaller which is the main benefit. It is also capable of swallowing up quite a lot of additional items if needed ... I think it's a keeper.
    I like the Card Pocket, certainly a wallet i will take with me when im travelling as it can hold alot, but for day to day use, i like a quick draw pull tab or a quick access slot for my main card. The iclip or the Loft of Cambie WOLYT are perfect for this.

Paging oldoakknives! Paging oldoakknives!

I was browsing the wallet by-ways of the net, and saw that iClips, your favourite, had suddenly increased astronomically in price. My mistake, these are in fact new models with the frame made of stainless steel and not plastic. To my mind that's a subtle admission that the previous plastic frame was vulnerable to drops and fracture, albeit possibly after some time has passed.

However the addition of a steel frame, does make it more attractive to me, as possibly one to try. Although the £85 price on Amazon, means that will have to happen after pay day.

Last edited by dkpw; 6th November 2022 at 15:58.

Paging oldoakknives! Paging oldoakknives!

I was browsing the wallet bywaters of the net, and saw that iClips, your favourite, had suddenly increased astronomically in price. My mistake, these are in fact new models with the frame made of stainless steel and not plastic. To my mind that's a subtle admission that the previous plastic frame was vulnerable to drops and fracture, albeit possibly after some time has passed.

However the addition of a steel frame, does make it more attractive to me, as possibly one to try. Although the £85 price on Amazon, means that will have to happen after pay day.

Interesting. I ordered this I-CLIP a few days ago - - should arrive later this week.