closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV Advice

TV Advice

Well my 48" Panasonic TV is on the blink and only just over 2 years old, the colour has gone to pot and on a dark screen there are about a dozen large white 40mm spots.

I'd like a similar screen size as my poor old eye sight is failing.
    I have a limited budget of around £500 so looking for recommendations from those that know please.

TIA,

Brian.... aka BRGRSP.

That's terrible for it to go in 2 years!

Richer sounds offer a 5/6 year warranty on all their TV sales.

I have the 43" version of this TV and it's been great.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...50pus8555.html

I've got a Sony in the main room but the prices of Sony look very high at the moment.

My choice is Samsung excellent picture and the sound isn't bad, but I would invest in a soundbar if sound matters.

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post
    Well my 48" Panasonic TV is on the blink and only just over 2 years old, the colour has gone to pot and on a dark screen there are about a dozen large white 40mm spots.

I'd like a similar screen size as my poor old eye sight is failing.
    I have a limited budget of around £500 so looking for recommendations from those that know please.

TIA,

Brian.... aka BRGRSP.
    Wouldn’t you have some sort of protection in consumer law that would see you get a repair or replacement?

Unlucky really.

Electronics are like that. Chance of warranty claim is slim, I think.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    that Phillips seems a sweet deal. if it died the day after the warranty expired its still <£100 per annum. i dont like smart TVs tho.

I'd be going the warranty route personally. This is why we only buy TVs from Costco.

LG 4K with IPS screen.

i bought a 55 inch one for about £550 on sale in currys about 3 years ago and its the best picture i have had myself ( although i have not had fancy £2000 ones to compare like half of you guys have had no doubt )

We usually buy a last year model Sony which will be virtually the same as the next year model but much cheaper, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd be going the warranty route personally. This is why we only buy TVs from Costco.

Unless he has extended warranty - he is outside the 2yrs (just)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Unless he has extended warranty - he is outside the 2yrs (just)
    Good consumer law guide here. On Apple's website but not limited to them.

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use Samsung via John Lewis. No complaints with either.

Good consumer law guide here. On Apple's website but not limited to them.

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/
    Thought it was 2. So, JL & COSTCO offer no more than statutory?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Thought it was 2. So, JL & COSTCO offer no more than statutory?

Don't think they do.

The difference with Costco is their warranty is dealt with at the till where they just give you a refund there and then, no messing around. Quite a lot of process with JL.

Master
    I would reach out to Panasonic. A number of companies still deal with matters just outside of warranty as a goodwill gesture. Send them a polite note setting out the facts, that you recognise it is just beyond the two years but given it was an expensive purchase and 2 years is a modest period to have such a problem in, you are hoping that a company of the stature of Panasonic will still help you. Worst thing that can happen is they say no, but fair chance they will help in some way.

Thanks for the warranty input chaps, I've been in touch and basically they are not interested.

As much as I appreciate your help I'm done with trying.

My local TV guy will take a look at it for around £100 + parts with no real guarantee he can sort it, he seems to think the panel is the cause and has said it's not viable to replace it.

So going back to my original question, what should I be looking at, there are a couple of votes for Samsung in terms of VFM is that where I should be looking ?

Not being a techy on these things the terms OLED QLED 4K all fly way above my head tbh.

Given my age and vulnerability I don't have the inclination to get out to take a look anywhere and I'm pretty sure the advice on here will be a lot more trustworthy.

Brian.

Master
    Firstly failure with 2 years is not good - as has been suggested try contacting Panasonic to see if they will repair it under warranty. Try contacting wherever you purchased it from as well & see if they will sort it out.

Secondly, only buy from Richer Sounds or Costco. You can easily get 6 years warranty from RS, sometimes just by signing up for emails. Here's a filtered list of 48-50" screens under £500:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...ze_breaks=1365

One key feature is the user interface & some are better than others. LG are well liked & I don't particularly rate the Android TV OS on my Sony. Book an appointment at your nearest RS & they will let you try each one out to see which you like best.

Master
    LG range is excellent.
    Oled is stunning on the UHD films & sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    One key feature is the user interface & some are better than others. LG are well liked & I don't particularly rate the Android TV OS on my Sony. Book an appointment at your nearest RS & they will let you try each one out to see which you like best.
    I'd agree that trying to get out to a Richer Sounds is your best option. Customer service and satisfaction really is a priority of theirs.

As for the operating system, I really like the Android (well Google) TV system. It's one of the more basic systems and just works. I can't stand the operating system on Samsung TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I'd agree that trying to get out to a Richer Sounds is your best option. Customer service and satisfaction really is a priority of theirs.

As for the operating system, I really like the Android (well Google) TV system. It's one of the more basic systems and just works. I can't stand the operating system on Samsung TVs.
    Completely agree. The latest update to Google TV I think is excellent and it should get continued support.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    LG range is excellent.
    Oled is stunning on the UHD films & sports.
    £500 budget will mean no OLED.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Wouldn’t you have some sort of protection in consumer law that would see you get a repair or replacement?
    Definitely. Not fit for purpose. Getting recompense is another matter, sadly.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...xchange/#goods

If bought on a credit card, you could try and make a claim from them if the retailer doesn’t play ball.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...purchases/#how
    Last edited by David_D; 29th June 2021 at 13:39.

Craftsman
    Are there any brands to go for if you want to avoid adware in the OSD? Or is that pretty much unavoidable these days?

Craftsman
    In Australia the manufacturer can say what they want as Consumer Law takes precedent. Let's say I buy a budget tv for <$1000, then it should last 5 years. If it lasts less I'm due some compensation, even if the manufacturer said it came with a 2-year warranty.

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/c...ppliances-last

Nothing like this in UK?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wadebridge59 View Post
    Yes and no (see my post yesterday). The problem is that the law doesn’t specify a particular period of time an item is expected to last just that it should be “reasonable” (or similar wording). Retailers and manufacturers then lie about or misrepresent their obligations and just blank anyone complaining. And that’s before you get into arguments about whether the problem was with the product or how it was used/misused. Result is that 99.9% of people don’t get the recourse they are probably entitled
    to.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Yes and no (see my post yesterday). The problem is that the law doesn’t specify a particular period of time an item is expected to last just that it should be “reasonable” (or similar wording). Retailers and manufacturers then lie about or misrepresent their obligations and just blank anyone complaining. And that’s before you get into arguments about whether the problem was with the product or how it was used/misused. Result is that 99.9% of people don’t get the recourse they are probably entitled
    to.
    Exactly why I only buy from Costco.

Master
    Exactly why I only buy from Costco.
    All the TVs in the Richer Sounds link I posted have a six year warranty. They are a brilliant company to deal with & will deliver to your door. Costco are good but not everyone can be a member.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    All the TVs in the Richer Sounds link I posted have a six year warranty. They are a brilliant company to deal with & will deliver to your door. Costco are good but not everyone can be a member.
    Product knowledge is better in Richer Sounds as well, although Costco returns are great. JL used to be good as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The problem is that the law doesn’t specify a particular period of time an item is expected to last just that it should be “reasonable” (or similar wording).
    to.
    That's the problem, you guys need to get your MP's to be specific. Here we say, "Are you aware of Australian Consumer Law?" Complete change in attitude.

If they don't play ball, get the baseball bat, https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...umer-complaint, https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...mplaint-letter.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You should get what you want from Richer Sounds I only buy my TVs from them.