closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 113 of 358 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,650 of 17882

Thread: More bike related stuff

One thing that annoys me slightly is the insistence by the EU that all new motorcycles must have daytime running lights and most manufacturers deal with this by not having an off switch. Apart from the battery drain issue which is a pain when working on the thing, the other annoyance is that when back-lit, say when the sun is low in the sky, which happens a lot on northern latitudes, headlights act as camouflage rather than an aid to visibility, as seen in the picture quoted above.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Seen this many times where a rider will actively accelerate so that they then have to brake, to justify having a rant at another road user.

Where as just lifting off, would have resulted in absolutely nothing happening... Bonkers way to ride a bike.
    My lad watches Royal Jordanian and he's absolutely classic at it; accelerating to justify braking, seeking out confused tourists struggling to navigate London and scaring them with the race can on his Husky, looking for pretty girls to wave them across the road, riding up the inside of busses to catch out pedestrians...

It gets a following and a decent income from YouTube i suspect, but i'd love if occasionally one of the people he hassled walked over, took out his ignition keys and walked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    One thing that annoys me slightly is the insistence by the EU that all new motorcycles must have daytime running lights and most manufacturers deal with this by not having an off switch. Apart from the battery drain issue which is a pain when working on the thing, the other annoyance is that when back-lit, say when the sun is low in the sky, which happens a lot on northern latitudes, headlights act as camouflage rather than an aid to visibility, as seen in the picture quoted above.
    Having DRL does limit ones ability to sneak up on people but that's probably the reason.
    To save your battery while working on the bike you could remove the fuse.

Master
    ^^^^It’s riding with the sole purpose of getting a reaction.

I prefer to watch captain rambunctios, and the missinden flyer.....But the one that makes me laugh the most is the Aussie Millionaire Bogan.

Takes his Harley off road and gets into a proper mess... crazy guy.

Ignoring the safety aspect, I'm not sure that's entirely fair to blame the EU. I can't find evidence that DRLs are a legal requirement for bikes in the UK (cars and lorries since 2011, yes, bikes no)

it's many years ago that some countries started requiring the use of at least a dipped beam at all times, and it appears that the manufacturers made this the "standard" as that meant they didn't have to produce different switch gear/ignition barrels and different wiring looms for different markets.

More recently manufacturers have started introducing running lights on bikes, but it's common to see LED in use which uses an order of magnitude less power than a filament bulb

Blog Entries
    I think people should ride (or drive) like every other road user is an idiot who isn’t paying attention. It is surprisingly often the case.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

In the old days (from mid to late seventies onwards) it was customary in France to ride with your driving lights on. As cars never did, it gave car drivers a better chance to spot you, and indeed improved safety markedly when it was introduced.
    Then Nordic countries, for valid (meteorological) reasons started to manufacture their cars with driving lights on by default. When France suggested to do the same (without the meteorological reasons) there were massive demonstrations by the motorcyclists. They had previously organised in a group against the French road tax equivalent (that was a "temporary" measure introduced by French government in the late 50s allegedly to finance pensions although they never saw a penny); the FFMC was born (French Federation of Angry Motorcyclists). It was really a breath of fresh air as they could muster a highly capable team to discuss any motorcycle-related issue with the authorities. However they were powerless to fight the daytime driving lights legislations for cars, despite the fact it removed the singularity it gave motorcyclists, and the awareness that ensued.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This was proven to be photoshopped to make the motorcyclist harder to see and they admitted it in the end.
    That isn’t a problem really.

I drive a white 60ft long wagon that’s 15ft 10in high, 8ft 6in wide and and Drivers don’t see me.

Seeing and understanding what you see are two different things.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Ignoring the safety aspect, I'm not sure that's entirely fair to blame the EU. I can't find evidence that DRLs are a legal requirement for bikes in the UK
    It was originally a voluntary agreement between motorcycle manufacturers in 2001 but it became EU law in 2016.

Craftsman
    Pull the headlight fuse. Simple.

Added bonus on the Tiger if you forget to reinsert the fuse the bike won't start as part of the ignition circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Pull the headlight fuse. Simple.

Added bonus on the Tiger if you forget to reinsert the fuse the bike won't start as part of the ignition circuit.
    Which is exactly why it isn’t that simple.

Compounded by the fact that Triumphs won’t start if the battery voltage drops below a certain level. So your headlights drain the battery, the starter kicks in and drops the voltage below the threshold, the ecu cuts out the starter motor so the voltage goes up, the Ecu then kicks starter back in which drops the voltage, the ecu cuts the starter, the voltage goes up and the ecu cuts the starter back in... repeat ad nauseum.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 22nd June 2020 at 11:39.

Compounded by the fact that Triumphs won’t start if the battery voltage drops below a certain level. So your headlights drain the battery, the starter kicks in and drops the voltage below the threshold, the ecu cuts out the starter motor so the voltage goes up, the Ecu then kicks starter back in which drops the voltage, the ecu cuts the starter, the voltage goes up and the ecu cuts the starter back in... repeat ad nauseum.
    Time to bring back the kickstart methinks!

Master
    When I bought my new shark helmet, it came with some reflective stickers, and some instructions on where to fit put them on the helmet.

For France only. The instructions said “to be fitted if riding in France”

It was originally a voluntary agreement between motorcycle manufacturers in 2001 but it became EU law in 2016.
    Can you point me to a reference as i struggled (and failed) to find one earlier

My lad watches Royal Jordanian and he's absolutely classic at it; accelerating to justify braking, seeking out confused tourists struggling to navigate London and scaring them with the race can on his Husky, looking for pretty girls to wave them across the road, riding up the inside of busses to catch out pedestrians...

It gets a following and a decent income from YouTube i suspect, but i'd love if occasionally one of the people he hassled walked over, took out his ignition keys and walked off.
    I watch a lot of his videos and generally really like them but am not a fan (at all) of his pedestrian clips or the looking at girls, not my cup of tea and smells of creepy/attention seeking.

No doubt the guy is unbelievably wealthy and doesn't need the YouTube money, just does it for fun. He has about 8 bikes and no expense spared on any of them. He even had custom titanium headers made for the Husqvarna and two different full systems for the S1000RR. I think I've only ever seen one clip of him shouting at another road user in the years I've been watching. He isn't into shouting or hostility.

TMF is ok but I just couldn't handle the "HAY KIDZ" intro so had to unsubscribe.

Craftsman

I really don't see the problem. It's basic RTFM.

Any modern FI bike won't start if the battery is below a certain voltage. That's electronics for you. The magic pixies won't get out of bed for less than 12 ish V

Also the newer Tigers don't turn on the lights until the engine starts, but I'm basic with my 2011.

I really don't see the problem. It's basic RTFM.
    If I’m trying to figure out why my bike won’t start, and the ecu will call game over if the battery drops too low, and the headlights drain the battery, and I can’t switch the headlights off, and I can’t pull a fuse because then the ecu shuts the starter down, can you not see how that might make life difficult to diagnose the fault? Now imagine that at 2am on the M6 services in the pissing rain.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 22nd June 2020 at 13:25.

Also the newer Tigers don't turn on the lights until the engine starts, but I'm basic with my 2011.
    Without going to check, I'm 99% sure that the R9T is the same (that is, no headlight until the engine is running) - just a small parking light, which i imagine draws very little in the way of power.

Craftsman
    If I’m trying to figure out why my bike won’t start, and the ecu will call game over if the battery drops too low, and the headlights drain the battery, and I can’t switch the headlights off, and I can’t pull a fuse because then the ecu shuts the starter down, can you not see how that might make life difficult to diagnose the fault? Now imagine that at 2am on the M6 services in the pissing rain.
    Ok see that. And in that scenario after checking fuses are good and still not starting I'm reaching for my phone and dialling my recovery option, having a pretty good idea what I'll be doing once I'm home and rested.

Knowing when to call for assistance / give up is important. I'm part of a group of highly trained medical engineers - full manufacturer training and we call the manufacturer in rather than spend hours on something because it's too easy to make assumptions leading you down the wrong path Especially with modern electronics including CANBUS.

2am on a wet night on the M6 you aren't fixing it.

Craftsman
    For the side of the road stuff I find this helpful

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/LED-MOTORCYC...72.m2749.l2649

Have mine ziptied across clutch cable for an easy fix to the Tiger. Helps to rule out the charging side of things if nothing else.

I should be writing a board paper but seeing as I attended a seminar this morning about the importance of maintaining good mental health, I got the RS out of the garage for a bit of a splash in the sunshine.

And back on the ramp ready for some tlc

Master
    ^^^^nice tidy garage there mate😈😈

Blog Entries
    Well, finally replaced my bike boots after moaning about the old ones for ages. They were Spada Icon boots that I bought at the BMF in Peterborough quite a few years back and to be honest I never liked them much, but just put up with them. Looked around for something a bit more casual looking and ended up deciding on the Falco Aviator boots as they have a few
    good reviews. Also the twin zip fastening appealed for easy on and off.
    Not everyones cup of tea I'm sure, but they arrived today and so far I'm pleased with them. Casual looking and with the Roadskin jeans and Helite Mesh jacket just right for summer.

Here's good ole Stu (!) doing a review of them...

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    ^^^^nice tidy garage there mate
    + it's huge, was designed and built to house 2 cars, a caravan and a (small) tractor
    + it has an inspection pit which makes it possible to work underneath an MX5
    + it's where my bike lift is

- it's in a right mess and is probably 50% cobwebs and dead insects
    - it has a huge crack in it all down one wall and through the floor because of an adjacent huge tree
    - all my tools are 30 miles away in a different garage

Master
    Just thought I’d share this picture from another forum...

Something to combine the interests of bikes and watches, and crafted by the guy from old watch parts.

I think it’s brilliant but sadly he’s not up for taking commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think people should ride (or drive) like every other road user is an idiot who isn’t paying attention. It is surprisingly often the case.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Well, I’ve been spending a bit of time moving these...

To make room for this...

Here we go again!

I can resist everything except temptation....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

To make room for this...

Here we go again!

Good man

Nice one Greg! Please keep and ride this one

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Nice one Greg! Please keep and ride this one
    I’ll try

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

To make room for this...

Here we go again!

If I hadn't just bought a Speed twin I would have been tempted I have to admit...good work!

Talking of Speed Twin, apparently due at the dealer at the end of this week

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    If I hadn't just bought a Speed twin I would have been tempted I have to admit...good work!

Talking of Speed Twin, apparently due at the dealer at the end of this week
    I’m taking one out for a couple of hours tomorrow morning. I’m hoping I don’t fall in love with it.

Grand Master

This is for sale to make a space for me if of any interest!!

1982 BMW R100. A total nut and bolt zero miles build with just 700 miles on her !! Ill sort a sales advert later
    RIAC

Don’t do it Kerry!

If you do though, what’s next?

Well, as mentioned on the WhatsApp group earlier today, I spent this morning test riding this lovely thing - the 1200cc Triumph Speed Twin.

What a bike! Possibly the easiest (and loveliest) to ride that I've been on to date, in that the ergonomics are perfect for me and the power is so smooth and linear from the moment you pull away. I had it in sport mode and even then it could be ridden like a sensible commuter or city runaround, or - with a twist of the throttle - like a bit of a hooligan bike; kind of like the Street Twin on steroids. It delivers 112 NM of torque at 4950rpm so the power is very accessible, and I found it very comfortable indeed. In fact, the only negative I could find was that the side stand is a bugger to locate with your heel. There really doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with it.

I got back on my 9T and immediately realised what a brutal thing it is in comparison, but loved the ride home on it as much as ever. I've left Triumph North London with the task of beguiling me enough with their man-maths that I'll make the jump but, to be honest, I'm still not sure I want to let my BMW go just yet. It's such a beautiful thing, and I've put my heart into making it special.

Anyway, we'll see what happens on Friday, when I'm expecting a call

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Anyway, we'll see what happens on Friday, when I'm expecting a call
    Are you going to order silver, black or red?

That's a beautiful bike Tony and I'm talking just to look at! Trouble is, I've only ever seen your R9T in your amazing photos so in all fairness you could probably make my old CG125 look good.
    Of the Two I would probably choose the Triumph visually as I've ridden neither.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Are you going to order silver, black or red?
    Hah (probably black, if by any chance...)!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    That's a beautiful bike Tony and I'm talking just to look at! Trouble is, I've only ever seen your R9T in your amazing photos so in all fairness you could probably make my old CG125 look good.
    Of the Two I would probably choose the Triumph visually as I've ridden neither.
    They're both lovely looking bikes, Ray. I have to say that the 9t is a bit special in the looks department, though.

Call me old fashioned but 'Two bikes Tony' is a cool nickname?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Call me old fashioned but 'Two bikes Tony' is a cool nickname?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Best opt for TBT, so it still works when the third one turns up.

Master
    Tony in my humble opinion I would stick with the R9t why.........

Firstly the R9T is becoming a classic even though its relatively new. Its not subject to evolutions and facelifts. Second you have invested in extras ( read bling) for your bike that make it “ just right” for you. If you go for the Triumph you will inevitably start down the upgrade route.

I see the attraction of the smoothness and sophistication of a 2020 bike , but I feel its a bit like comparing a 5513 with a 114060, the later has a crystal , micro adjust strap better mechanism so it must be better right?

But the acid test is , would you enjoy just looking at the Triumph as much as the R9T ( with that drop dead colour scheme)?

Steve.

Or better still , get two bikes , like most of the crew on here?

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    <cough>4<cough>

Master
    <cough>4<cough>
    Ditto , but I feel smug as 18 months ago I had 7.

Tony in my humble opinion I would stick with the R9t why.........

Firstly the R9T is becoming a classic even though its relatively new. Its not subject to evolutions and facelifts. Second you have invested in extras ( read bling) for your bike that make it “ just right” for you. If you go for the Triumph you will inevitably start down the upgrade route.

I see the attraction of the smoothness and sophistication of a 2020 bike , but I feel its a bit like comparing a 5513 with a 114060, the later has a crystal , micro adjust strap better mechanism so it must be better right?

But the acid test is , would you enjoy just looking at the Triumph as much as the R9T ( with that drop dead colour scheme)?

Steve.

Yes, I do know what you mean, and in reality I have a special kind of affection for the R9T. This will have been an interesting exercise whatever the outcome, though, as the only two bikes that had the potential for effecting a change were the Monster and Speed Twin. Whilst I only tested the Minster 821 (I should probably have gone for the 1200 in hindsight) it just didn't do it for me for reasons I'm not entirely sure about. The Speed Twin, on the other hand, was a sublime ride. I'd go as far as to say that - had it been available when I bought the Street Twin - I'd have gone for it instead and would undoubtedly still have it now.

I like the analogy of the 5513 and 114060 and think it's quite apt. Both have their own kind of attraction, of course.

Master
    Nice Triumph ride out to Matlock Bath yesterday

And a mixed bag of bikes and riders, Shropshire ride out today....

Steve.

When you are riding you don't see very much of the bike and when it's not being ridden it's probably out of sight most of the time...buy the bike that you enjoy riding most (or get two)

Having ridden neither of them I'd probably stick with the R9T. Shaft drive and the looks are enough.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 24th June 2020 at 18:46.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Haven't ridden neither of them I'd probably stick with the R9T. Shaft drive and the looks are enough.
    To be fair, bikes don't get much cooler.