closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The " Show us your damaged Rolex" thread

Master

The " Show us your damaged Rolex" thread

Lets have another Rolex thread. This time for pictures of all those nasty accidents, scapes, bangs, cracks, crushings and dents.

Master
    Blog Entries

Oooppps!

What happens when your sapphire crystal hits a ceramic floor.

iso keyboard mac

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 18th April 2020 at 13:19.

Master
    Did you get away with just the crystal?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope full Rolex service required.
    M

An oldie but goldie.....

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting that photobucket stripe thing please??
    Last edited by spuds; 19th April 2020 at 11:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting that photobucket stripe thing please??
    Probably photobucket trying to convince you to give them money.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Probably photobucket trying to convince you to give them money.
    I've just started a thread seeking advice mate and I've done just that (paid an annual subscription) and it's only just started happening....??

Journeyman
    Full explanations and rectification costs would be appreciated

I smashed my bracelet with a club hammer when I was banging stakes in at work, and it's in the 'fixed' part of the bracelet (rather than a removable link) which is white gold and I haven't asked how much to get it repaired 'cos the ding doesn't bother me really....

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post

iso keyboard mac

M
    Yikes! What sort of internal damage was done, and from what height did it fall?

I saw that damaged link and thought that's not a big issue. New link and problem resolved. This is before I realised it is not steel is possibly platinum or white gold. I did not consider about this being a fixed link. So from that perspective, would you have to replace all the fixed linked in the affected side if I assume they are supplied as a set.

Was this LV replaced with non cyclops crystal? (I maybe confusing you with someone else).

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I saw that damaged link and thought that's not a big issue. New link and problem resolved. This is before I realised it is not steel is possibly platinum or white gold. I did not consider about this being a fixed link. So from that perspective, would you have to replace all the fixed linked in the affected side if I assume they are supplied as a set.
    Yep it’s white gold mate and one of the three or four nearest the watch head so I’d have to replace the ‘set’....
    Like I said though it doesn’t bother me and it doesn’t affect the timekeeping so I’ve not even had it priced to be honest...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was this LV replaced with non cyclops crystal? (I maybe confusing you with someone else).
    Yes it was.

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 20th April 2020 at 09:57.

Craftsman
    Yes it was.

M
    Is that a Rolex official repair

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Is that a Rolex official repair

Look closely at the date of service on the card behind the watch.

Not mine saw this on FB..
    allegedly after a Motorcycle accident if true probably saved from further Gravel rash..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Not mine saw this on FB..
    allegedly after a Motorcycle accident if true probably saved from further Gravel rash..

Imagine if it was Patrick Philippe 😄

iso keyboard mac

M
    Do you always wear your LV on on older 93150 bracelet with non SEL end links?

Not quite in the league of the others but this Precision was scraped down a wall when the thrusting executive owner owner fell over after a skin full.

I did manage to buy it from him at an advantageous price though.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not quite in the league of the others but this Precision was scraped down a wall when the thrusting executive owner owner fell over after a skin full.

I did manage to buy it from him at an advantageous price though.

That looks as if it had a pretty hard life even before the crystal/wall interface incident, Neil

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    That looks as if it had a pretty hard life even before the crystal/wall interface incident, Neil

Simon
    It looks a bit better now Simon.

It was a '60's model in fairness.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

I am reminded of Gary's post about case lapping in the CLassic post section.
    We never saw how this was repaired

(Note, on a real Rolex, the dial indices are not glued on, so despite the dial being bent, not one index moved - compare to the above)

But we did get to see this

Get repaired to this

Worth a look, that post.

Dave

^^^^

Wow!

That's fantastic Dave.

Never thought a repair like that would be possible.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Imagine if it was Patrick Philippe 
    Then it would be a massive improvement.
    "A man of little significance"

Yes it was.

M
    Improvement!

iso keyboard mac

M
    This is why l always smile when people use terms like "robust", or even "bulletproof" to describe a rolex.
    My seadweller is pretty...but far from the above!
    I still refuse to baby it though. If you can't afford to damage a thing, you can't afford to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    If you can't afford to damage a thing, you can't afford to own it.
    What if one is OCD and attempts to keep a purchase ‘as new’ as possible.

My Golf is nearly 13 years old and I have owned it for nearly 10 years - paid in cash. I don’t wish to damage it and treat it with care and it still looks good (with exception of hazed headlights). I’m not sure if I can afford it now. Will get it posted on SC.

Journeyman
    Fell 2 feet off a bedside cabinet, on to a tiled floor... needed new crystal, hands, dial and a full service... £970 in total..

And on its return from Rolex..

I’m not comparing them - very different watches in every way - but even a cheap G shock dw5600e can be thrown repeatedly onto a tiled floor and survive completely unscathed. For a mechanical watch Rolex are very durable and wear their years well, but a relatively short fall onto a hard surface can be catastrophic. Bullet proof they are not!

If you can't afford to damage a thing, you can't afford to own it.
    I'm mortgage free, I can absolutely afford my home. Car owned too. I can't afford to drive my car through the front window.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I'm mortgage free, I can absolutely afford my home. Car owned too. I can't afford to drive my car through the front window.
    I'm a little uncertain how we got to the extremes of driving cars through front windows but l bet you'd be able to get yourself a replacement car somehow if you really wanted to.
    And lm sure that you have the means to repair or replace parts as required to keep it road legal and looking tidy.
    You can afford your car.

What if one is OCD and attempts to keep a purchase ‘as new’ as possible.

My Golf is nearly 13 years old and I have owned it for nearly 10 years - paid in cash. I don’t wish to damage it and treat it with care and it still looks good (with exception of hazed headlights). I’m not sure if I can afford it now. Will get it posted on SC.
    That's a matter of personality and choice. I'm sure you can afford to carry out any necessary repairs as and when called for.
    I imagine its also insured.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Imagine if it was Patrick Philippe 
    Hard to see how any watch with a sapphire crystal and, say, a steel bezel* could do worse.

* may include Patricks

I'm a little uncertain how we got to the extremes of driving cars through front windows but l bet you'd be able to get yourself a replacement car somehow if you really wanted to.
    And lm sure that you have the means to repair or replace parts as required to keep it road legal and looking tidy.
    You can afford your car.
    I was possibly a little worse for wear and decided to go all reductio ad absurdum but I think the point stands, not being able to afford to damage something doesn't mean that someone can't afford it.

I was possibly a little worse for wear and decided to go all reductio ad absurdum but I think the point stands, not being able to afford to damage something doesn't mean that someone can't afford it.
    Apologies for my late reply... apparently lm a key worker...
    But l honestly think that to be able to afford a thing includes the ability to maintain it or replace it if necessary, not simply purchase it - because if you buy a thing and it becomes damaged beyond your financial ability to repair/replace it, you can't afford to repair/replace it.
    I mean, yeah, you can afford to own a broken thing... but it's no longer the thing you could afford to buy in the first place.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 28th April 2020 at 00:17.

But l honestly think that to be able to afford a thing includes the ability to maintain it or replace it if necessary, not simply purchase it - because if you buy a thing and it becomes damaged beyond your financial ability to repair/replace it, you can't afford to repair/replace it.
    I mean, yeah, you can afford to own a broken thing... but it's no longer the thing you could afford to buy in the first place.
    So now what you're saying is that if you can't afford to buy something twice, you can't afford it once? I don't wish to get argumentative about this but I think the assertion you made is just fundamentally wrong. Where are we drawing this imaginary line? With the third hypothetical broken Rolex? The fourth? Or how about we just say that if someone can buy something without putting themselves in the sort of financial difficulty that results in not being able to put food on the table, they can afford it just fine.

So now what you're saying is that if you can't afford to buy something twice, you can't afford it once? I don't wish to get argumentative about this but I think the assertion you made is just fundamentally wrong. Where are we drawing this imaginary line? With the third hypothetical broken Rolex? The fourth? Or how about we just say that if someone can buy something without putting themselves in the sort of financial difficulty that results in not being able to put food on the table, they can afford it just fine.
    You're not being argumentative at all - simply putting forward a view.
    I just see being able to find the money to buy a thing, but not maintain or replace it if you want to, rather like being able to scrape together the money to buy a labrador, but not having enough money left to feed it or take it to the vet.
    That said, in this world of credit most people find some pretend money from somewhere if they really need to.

Craftsman
    For most folks they mitigate the damage exposure to high value items through insurance.

Clearly there are different levels..... I own my house but I can't afford to replace it, so I have insurance. Similarly I own my GMT and I dont want to afford to replace, so I have insurance. But I can see the rationale for some folks to "self-insure" there watches.

But your logic works does for me in some situations ..... I can afford a Ferrari but sadly I cant afford to run/repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    For most folks they mitigate the damage exposure to high value items through insurance.

Clearly there are different levels..... I own my house but I can't afford to replace it, so I have insurance. Similarly I own my GMT and I dont want to afford to replace, so I have insurance. But I can see the rationale for some folks to "self-insure" there watches.

But your logic works does for me in some situations ..... I can afford a Ferrari but sadly I cant afford to run/repair it.
    Well, yeah, l factored insurance into my viewpoint in an earlier post this thread.
    Where watches are concerned lm always put in mind of a friend who got himself a seamaster a few years ago, as a birthday present from his partner. Several years on and out of warranty, the watch started losing time a little and the AD advised he needed to get it serviced.
    Given the service quote the reply was "How much???!!!", followed by a rather muted retreat from the shop... turns out he couldn't really afford to own the watch. He wouldn't sell it either, what with it being a gift... sadly it now sits unused in a sock drawer...
    I don't think lm alone in this viewpoint either... hence the phrase "if you can't afford the kit, you can't afford the hobby" and it's many variations.