closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new PRS-10

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    Eddie, is it locked in stone yet that your planned PRS-10 remake will only be available with the modern dress/sport watch type domed sapphire?

Or, is it all possible that the previous version's classic British military purpose-built domed and "armoured" steel tension-ring secured acrylic crystal (with its case crystal seat machined specifically for it) could still be offered in addition?
    Not going to happen.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Owl1
    Quartz would be nice .

Any thoughts on the movement? A quartz second hand that hit the markers would be good!

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Any thoughts on the movement? A quartz second hand that hit the markers would be good!
    Most quartz movements will drift in and out of alignment, some days they will hit the markers and some days they won't.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned
    Don't like it at all.

Keep it similar to the previous version but offer it in a 40mm size too. Better, much better lume also.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The original PRS-10 is going ahead
    Just rejoice at that news!

I like it as per image. Auto with screw down crown
    Would be my choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    As you know, I plan to bring back the PRS-10 but I've been thinking about a new look.

38.5mm across the bezel
    Flat sapphire crystal (I don't think this style needs domed)
    Not sure about auto or quartz
    Tritium tubes

Thoughts?

Eddie
    I changed my mind.

Eddie it's not too bad, it's just that the PRS10 is such a classic obviously.

Why not make a new one as well? Especially if you can make it 40mm for those thay find the PRS10 a bit too small. PRS100

Apprentice
    I prefer the classic g10, only add sapphire

As you know, I plan to bring back the PRS-10 but I've been thinking about a new look.

38.5mm across the bezel
    Tritium tubes

Thoughts?

Eddie

Master

38.5mm across the bezel
    Tritium tubes

Thoughts?

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    I changed my mind.

Eddie it's not too bad, it's just that the PRS10 is such a classic obviously.

Why not make a new one as well? Especially if you can make it 40mm for those thay find the PRS10 a bit too small. PRS100

This one would look great to me, too, if it was formatted into a front-loading monobloc case field watch similar to the Citizen "Ray Mears" models, but with a heavy-duty steel notched and threaded retaining-ring securing its flanged crystal instead of the RM's pry-off type friction-fit crystal retaining-ring. Going to such a format for a new General Services Watch is no more radical a move than returning to the format of the GS issue watch immediately preceding the famous G10 ---- the cushion style “cabinet” (front-loading/one-piece) case W10 from Hamilton, CWC, and Precista.

I think I would personally prefer it with the SuperLuminova, which I believe TF has an excellent reputation for doing right, instead of the tritium gas vials, though. The latter are expensive, have a limited useable lifespan, and ultimately will need to be replaced if you keep the watch long enough and still want to keep the lume functioning to its purpose. The SL works very well within its own parameters of use, and I believe it has an unlimited life-span if it stays safely under hermetic seal inside the watch's casing. SL is also going to be affordable compared to the full compliment of tritium vials shown in the opening post.

I also think that the Ronda 715Li quartz mov't with 10 year battery life Eddie has used before is an excellent, and perhaps very best choice for a tough, affordable watch meant for a hard life.

For the 7 years previous to now I used my Citizen BN0000-04H Eco-Drive 300m Diver (with the same front-loading/one-piece monobloc type case as the heavy-duty Ray Mears field watches referred to above but with a nicely working 60-click rotating timing bezel added and the WR upped 50%) as my grab&go/beater watch and it was great, especially at the 125 or so GBP equivalent I paid for it over here. Double, triple(?), quadruple(??) the price with "upgrades" of often very questionable practical and/or cost-effective value and its no longer what you started out thinking you were going to get with a G10 inspired watch, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    This one would look great to me, too, if it was formatted into a front-loading monobloc case field watch similar to the Citizen "Ray Mears" models, but with a heavy-duty steel notched and threaded retaining-ring securing its flanged crystal instead of the RM's pry-off type friction-fit crystal retaining-ring. Going to such a format for a new General Services Watch is no more radical a move than returning to the format of the GS issue watch immediately preceding the famous G10 ---- the cushion style “cabinet” (front-loading/one-piece) case W10 from Hamilton, CWC, and Precista.

I think I would personally prefer it with the SuperLuminova, which I believe TF has an excellent reputation for doing right, instead of the tritium gas vials, though. The latter are expensive, have a limited useable lifespan, and ultimately will need to be replaced if you keep the watch long enough and still want to keep the lume functioning to its purpose. The SL works very well within its own parameters of use, and I believe it has an unlimited life-span if it stays safely under hermetic seal inside the watch's casing. SL is also going to be affordable compared to the full compliment of tritium vials shown in the opening post.

I also think that the Ronda 715Li quartz mov't with 10 year battery life Eddie has used before is an excellent, and perhaps very best choice for a tough, affordable watch meant for a hard life.

For the 7 years previous to now I used my Citizen BN0000-04H Eco-Drive 300m Diver (with the same front-loading/one-piece monobloc type case as the heavy-duty Ray Mears field watches referred to above but with a nicely working 60-click rotating timing bezel added and the WR upped 50%) as my grab&go/beater watch and it was great, especially at the 125 or so GBP equivalent I paid for it over here. Double, triple(?), quadruple(??) the price with "upgrades" of often very questionable practical and/or cost-effective value and its no longer what you started out thinking you were going to get with a G10 inspired watch, I think
    I like the little shiny tubes. They make me smile.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I like the little shiny tubes. They make me smile.

Hi Seikopath. Saving money on beater/grab&go watches like these makes me smile ---- not to mention it gives me more cash for dental work and such as needed

Probably my most cost-effective/feel good such watch, so far, though to a far lower grade than the above would be, was a FreeStyle Shark Classic Surfer Watch ---- it cost about 15 GBP equivalent at a chain sporting goods store over here and you could literally beat it with a hammer fairly hard and it would still work great. I remember it fondly

Banned
    What's reason for the monocoque case? Isn't a crewback case good enough? Seems a PITA to change battery or whatever else with a monocoque case.

I think you’re definitely on the right track here boss!
    A more modern upgrade to a classic. Quartz, tritium, sapphire, low profile, 100m WR, go anywhere do anything with a little TZ-UK flair...
    I like it.

Eddie

^^if that doesn't keep the punters happy, then they need a slap in the face with a wet kipper.

I think you've nailed it Eddie. 👍😃👍

By Jove, I think he's got it!
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Now you're talking.

Master
    There's no school like old school

Craftsman
    Return of a classic 👍

I'm guessing that there won't be an option without a date window?

Oh dash it all, I'm such a fussy so-and-so.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post

The last ones for sale were available with black, and white date wheels.

I did have one with the black date wheel.
    Regreted selling it as soon as it was gone.
    Now i'm being tempted with another if this sells again.

Cracking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post

Cracking watch.

A real beauty

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Oh wow, that is the one!
    Thanks Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post

You can always pop the crystal off and add a bit of gaffer tape

What a splendid idea! Top chap :o)

I wonder why I didn't think of that? I suppose that my mind must be too highly trained ;o)

Master
    Don't forget to write "3" on the tape with a crayon before replacing the crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Don't forget to write "3" on the tape with a crayon before replacing the crystal.

I was thinking more along the lines of correction pen

There is a 2012 example coming up for auction Here
    Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post

Cracking watch.

That exact one is what I thought at the time it was last available would be the perfect beater/grab&go for me (still think that) and I intended to place an imminent order for the black date wheel version like the one you show. Then I found I had just missed it, as it had gone out-of-stock and then was discontinued, and I've always regretted taking for granted it would always be there and letting that slow me down from getting my order in.

Seeing this picture of yours makes it worse (!!) because it reminds me just how neat looking these were and especially just how perfectly these were specificationed by my own personal lights, and all at just 90 GBP a shot.

When they were gone, and still needing a new beater, I went with my second choice, and something that had been for a time in recent years an MOD limited trial issue to Royal Navy divers, the Citizen BN0000-04H 300m Professional Eco-Drive Diver in the nicely compact circa 38mm front-loading monobloc case which cost around 125 GBP equivalent here in the U.S.

That Citizen diver was a great watch for me in the years since, but I still would have much preferred that I'd have been using that first version of the Precista PRS-10 all this time and still, and I'm saddened it won't be back spec'ed as it was before.

So now I, ironically, find myself hoping Eddie will bring out the "New G10" under consideration for the future as a monobloc that will still work for me, but, as in racing a circled track, I still wish I'd be buying that older Precista 10 brought back just as it was especially when I look at that damn picture you put up, there Andy!!!! (nah, just kidding ---- thanks for showing, those were neat watches and seeing one reminds me not to be so damn slow next time.............................................. ..........

The current CWC G10 is Ł199 with acrylic or Ł298 with flat sapphire.

Eddie

The current CWC G10 is Ł199 with acrylic or Ł298 with flat sapphire.

Eddie
    ...and it has an ugly big "QUARTZ" where the pheon should be. Shudder.

The current CWC G10 is Ł199 with acrylic...
    ...which is taking the proverbial.

Looks superb

Journeyman

When?

I've been wanting one of these for years. Please keep the date option. When can I order? (Am I allowed to ask that?)

Apprentice

When released

Exactly what Matt O. says, I'm very curious when the new PRS-10 (in any configuration but preferably as close to the original as possible) will be released.

To close the gap I have an old CWC but while it is quite accurate I don't trust it to be waterproof at all because it started fogging while cycling in the rain.

Meanwhile having a COSC PRS-18Q is very satisfying (for soothing some precision OCD) but I miss a date-window while I hear the mechanism under the dial click. Are there any options of getting better than average quartz-movements installed? Imho the average Ronda-accuracy and (lack of) drift of the seconds-hand is only so so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Galf View Post
    Exactly what Matt O. says, I'm very curious when the new PRS-10 (in any configuration but preferably as close to the original as possible) will be released.

To close the gap I have an old CWC but while it is quite accurate I don't trust it to be waterproof at all because it started fogging while cycling in the rain.

Meanwhile having a COSC PRS-18Q is very satisfying (for soothing some precision OCD) but I miss a date-window while I hear the mechanism under the dial click. Are there any options of getting better than average quartz-movements installed? Imho the average Ronda-accuracy and (lack of) drift of the seconds-hand is only so so ...
    There are higher specification quartz but still no guarantee that the seconds hand will hit the markers all the time and I'm not aware of another with a ten year battery life.

Eddie

Apprentice
    There are higher specification quartz but still no guarantee that the seconds hand will hit the markers all the time and I'm not aware of another with a ten year battery life.

Eddie
    The drift of the seconds hand of the ETA F06.411 (PreciDrive) as used in the PRS-18 is far less than with a lot of of other movements and seems to behave very consistently and smoothly. Are these also available without COSC-certificates? (But then I also have a very cheap Asian dive-watch with virtually no drift at all, always spot on).

I think a battery exchange interval of 4 or 5 years is preferable over 10 years because the gaskets of the watch starting to deteriorate and I wouldn't trust it to survive a swim after that time anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Galf View Post
    The drift of the seconds hand of the ETA F06.411 (PreciDrive) as used in the PRS-18 is far less than with a lot of of other movements and seems to behave very consistently and smoothly. Are these also available without COSC-certificates? (But then I also have a very cheap Asian dive-watch with virtually no drift at all, always spot on).

I think a battery exchange interval of 4 or 5 years is preferable over 10 years because the gaskets of the watch starting to deteriorate and I wouldn't trust it to survive a swim after that time anyway...
    That's why I specify Viton gaskets.

Eddie

Journeyman
    And...another watch I'll have to buy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    +1

Any chance of X1C3 on this one?, I hear its the dogs diamonds....

Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post

Gadget
    And so it is but it's not cheap.

The new Swiss Super-LumiNovaŽ Grade X1 shows a performance increase of up to 60% after two hours compared to the standard grade. By using Swiss Super-LumiNovaŽ Grade X1, the legibility according to the ISO 3157 standard will be extended by at least a factor of 1.6 on the long term.

Swiss Super-LumiNovaŽ Grade X1 defines a new quality standard of night visibility on your watch, which has never been seen before.
    Eddie

Eddie
    Dark nights are here and I need all the help I can get nowadays

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post

Gadget

The new Swiss Super-LumiNovaŽ Grade X1 shows a performance increase of up to 60% after two hours compared to the standard grade. By using Swiss Super-LumiNovaŽ Grade X1, the legibility according to the ISO 3157 standard will be extended by at least a factor of 1.6 on the long term.

Swiss Super-LumiNovaŽ Grade X1 defines a new quality standard of night visibility on your watch, which has never been seen before.

Eddie

I believe I'd heard of a new "Superized" SuperLumiNova at some point years ago, but had not to my memory heard anything of it since until now.

It sounds good, though, great when I consider how much I like the regular SuperLumiNova already, but would it be more expensive than even the tritium gas tubes are?

Banned
    What lume was used on the PRS18Q COSC? I didn't find it compared well to the previous model. Hoping future Time Factors watched don't use the same lume as the COSC.

Or was it the way it was applied? Thinner layer?

The PRS-15 is the Lady Speedbird, which is still on the cards.

Eddie
    That is good to hear.

Master
    A PRS-10 with a sapphire crystal. Ace!

Dave