closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky tv renewal time

Sky tv renewal time

Lol
    This has been done to death but my parents pay £30 a month for their tv package
    They get the entertainment package that's all no frills

I pay £13 for mine that's all channels except movies - yes all sports etc too for £13

Rang up to talk about my folks and they offered a grand total of about £10 a month off

I was ressonable and advised as follows....

We both know that if I turn it off they will get a we miss you letter within 7 days offering 50 per cent off for 12 months
    She said she couldn't comment

I also asked if I could move my subscription to my parents house.... I can.....

Sky are crazy - their business model is all about acquisition and then screw you once you're in

So... With my dads permission I'm going to cancel it and let's see how long they have to wait for their letter and renewal

In the meantime they get all the freeview etc through their box

I'd cancel their landline too if they weren't so old

Master
    I am currently in a 12 month contract with Sky as I renewed for half price for six months. When it comes to an end I am going all the way through with the cancellation unless they offer at least 50% off for the full 12 months. I just cannot justify the full cost for Sky any more.

Even once you properly confirm your cancellation you will still get phone calls offering the 50% off.

I know because I cancelled a subscription when I moved last year. A few months after leaving I got a "last chance" email offering 60% off the package I had if I returned.

£13 is a cracking deal for Sky including all sports! Presumably that's a short term discount though? How do you negotiate a good deal when it runs out?

I'm paying £40 a month for the full entertainment package, HD and F1. I signed up to HD for £10 a month a few years ago when you could get the F1 channel free with it (HD is now £5 a month but no F1). Sky stopped that deal to new customers a while ago and if I change my package now I'll lose F1 and have to pay the full sports subscription to get it back so I'm reluctant to threaten to leave to get a better deal.

It's a lot of money but with Sky Box Sets. Sky Go, Sky Plus, HD, Kids channels for my daughter, plenty of Motoring shows and the F1 channel I can just about justify it. The selection of channels from other providers feels like a real come down.

75 per cent

I got mine for 75 per cent off just 10 months ago

They have recently increased fees by £3 month mid term as per their t&cs allows

This is for everybody - it sucks

I sell my sky go ID that I never use
    I get £10 a month for each so I make £7 a month for having Sky!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I'm paying £40 a month for the full entertainment package, HD and F1. I signed up to HD for £10 a month a few years ago when you could get the F1 channel free with it (HD is now £5 a month but no F1). Sky stopped that deal to new customers a while ago and if I change my package now I'll lose F1 and have to pay the full sports subscription to get it back so I'm reluctant to threaten to leave to get a better deal.
    I'm on the same deal with the Variety package so pay £38 per month. I also don't want to pay for Sports so am loathed to change my package too.

I have a telescope I use to watch via my neighbour's window.

Complete hit and miss IME.

Last year I rang up and got offered 25% to renew. Cancelled and I had no calls from them other than the standard "sorry you're leaving, not too late to change your mind etc". Anyway wen through with termination and four weeks later get a 50% off the full package and a new 2TB box thrown in.

A few weeks ago I noticed an email offer of 20% from Sky thanking me for my loyalty. Just need to sign in to take advantage. Never proceeded but then find my bill is going up from 1st June by £4.50. Snakes in the grass.................offer to get you tied in for twelve months before they tell you the subscription has increased wiping out part of the discount anyway.

Friend has just cancelled his and is three weeks without Sky with no calls or offers enticing him back. Suspect they will be on the phone soon and assume targets come in to play.

I need to get mine sorted for sure as it will have gone up to £75.00 now. Mental.

At £40 pm I thought it was a little expensive - but at £75 I'll be happily ditching it asap!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Not uncommon. I know of a few chaps who pay £120 a month on Sky. With HD, sports, movies, multiroom etc, it all adds up quickly.

Master
    There's a new android box which allows you to stream the full Sky package for about £50 a year.

I'm not sure if its the same idea as the card-share boxes (and therefore the legalities are not known to me), but I know a few friends who have it and rave about it. I think it streams from outside the UK, from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Complete hit and miss IME.

Last year I rang up and got offered 25% to renew. Cancelled and I had no calls from them other than the standard "sorry you're leaving, not too late to change your mind etc". Anyway wen through with termination and four weeks later get a 50% off the full package and a new 2TB box thrown in.

A few weeks ago I noticed an email offer of 20% from Sky thanking me for my loyalty. Just need to sign in to take advantage. Never proceeded but then find my bill is going up from 1st June by £4.50. Snakes in the grass.................offer to get you tied in for twelve months before they tell you the subscription has increased wiping out part of the discount anyway.

Friend has just cancelled his and is three weeks without Sky with no calls or offers enticing him back. Suspect they will be on the phone soon and assume targets come in to play.

I need to get mine sorted for sure as it will have gone up to £75.00 now. Mental.
    At 75 a month they really are taking the proverbial.
    Just ring them and tell them you need to cancel

You will deffo get something
    Tell themvirgin are offering cashback and cheaper etc

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    (and therefore the legalities are not known to me)............. I think it streams from outside the UK, from what I've heard.
    You may have answered your own question there :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    At 75 a month they really are taking the proverbial.
    Just ring them and tell them you need to cancel

You will deffo get something
    Tell themvirgin are offering cashback and cheaper etc
    Rang and cancelled after typing my reply in this thread. Told them too expensive and they didn't offer anything for me to stay (not even the 20% percent that the email currently in my inbox offers). 31 days and last bill will be £11.64.

Well we will see what they come back with. Other half isnt going to be happy when she gets home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Rang and cancelled after typing my reply in this thread. Told them too expensive and they didn't offer anything for me to stay (not even the 20% percent that the email currently in my inbox offers). 31 days and last bill will be £11.64.

Well we will see what they come back with. Other half isnt going to be happy when she gets home from work.
    They will come back to you.
    The bigger the bundle you have the better the deal
    T b h when I jacked it in I just had the freeview stuff and I player etc via my Chromecast and I was fine

I love horse racing but can watch any race to my phone if I place a bet

Don't take the first offer unless you are desperate

I'm in the same boat was going to cancel anyway as my contract is up at the end of May. Only want if to game of thrones and motoring shows. Was speaking to a mate of mine and he said to get the Now TV box as you can buy monthly entertainment packages for next to nothing. You don't have the large array of channels but has the main good entertainment ones and box sets. 6.99pm vs 36pm. Competing with themselves the fools

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have paid full price for the whole package since 2006 but in June they are putting it up to £80 a month, I am just going to cancel the lot then see what they offer, just fed up paying this much a month .

Craftsman
    We have the full TV package apart from sports, fibre Internet and full phone package.

A deal has just ended and it's gone from £75 to £95 a month.

Phoned to cancel the TV package and was told it's 31 days notice and will be 40 per month without sky + or £50 a month if we want to keep +!

Master
    We took a full Sky package just over a year ago on some sort of half price deal that the Wife found, worked out at a touch over £30 per month for everything including HD, sports, F1 etc.
    When the 12 months was up I rang them to cancel and spent over 30 mins haggling with the nice lady on the phone, she came out with all sorts of stuff hoping to make me stay, "won't your kids miss being able to watch the cartoon channels" and "I see you watch the F1 channel quite a bit, you will miss having that", I held my ground, even when they offered the full package for £38 per month I said no, still to expensive. At this point she told me there was no one in the company who could authorise any further discounts and that they would terminate the contract at the end of the month.
    Within 48 hours of this call I had a chap ring up from the customer retentions department, or something similar, asking what they need to do to make me stay, "full package for £30 per month?"
    "Ok then, done" said the Sky man.
    Defnately worth cancelling and holding your ground in my experience

Craftsman
    Before I moved to Virgin I had sky on a full package, for three years I got a new 1/2 price deal. I'd call up and cancel they get the wife to call up and take a new 1/2 deal out in her name. They'd said it was already at our address but she say it was in my name and we'd separated. 12 months later we repeat but in reverse.

Master
    I've always had mine half price or less but it's getting stupid now, they seem to be really difficult!

I rang up when my deal was due to expire to cancel. Got the usual "how can we get you to stay?" I told them half price again and I was happy... "No sir, you've had your deal, you won't get it again!" Cancelled. Literally 5 mins later I get an email offering me free HD and half price if I sign up again. Would be a lot easier if they just did it when I bloody asked!

We cancelled our package last month (all TV bar movies), had one call offering 35% off, but still nowhere near the price my parents pay for the same package.

The subscription has finished this morning, so we shall see what they offer in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
    "I see you watch the F1 channel quite a bit, you will miss having that",
    Contact centre agents can't see your viewing per channel so one of you is lying ;)

Master
    I cancelled Sky TV a few weeks ago and had to give a months notice. I already had the Virgin BB and phone so I took their TV package too. Checking out the online offers I asked for one of those but was told that they were only for new customers. Mmm, slightly irritating. Anyway, Sky got back in touch with some all-in offers and said that I wouldn't notice any difference between their 7-14 meg BB speed and the Virgin 152meg. Curious. The changeover arrives in about 10 days so I wonder if Sky will come back in with a last minute mega-deal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    Contact centre agents can't see your viewing per channel so one of you is lying ;)
    I think they can when you want to cancel because the nice lady told me..

"last week you watched X Y and Z on the movie channels you will miss them"

I said I hadn't but it turned out the wife had

Master
    I always cancel every June (so i don't miss any of the footy) and within four weeks always get a letter offering 50% off if i come back.

They don't even tie me in to a 12 month contract.

Done it for the last four years and the day they don't offer me the deal is the day i will be gone for good.

Master
    She knew exactly what channels I had been watching, I think you might be mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
    She knew exactly what channels I had been watching, I think you might be mis-informed.
    It's my team that pull all the viewing data from the set top boxes and then supply it to the CRM system.

So thanks, but not misinformed.

So out of interest - what do they see?

Master
    I've been with SKY for 4 years and wouldn't want to be without it now.
    We pay a shade under £50 a month for everything but movies and sports (all the entertainment and kids packages) plus unlimited broadband and landline with (I think) free evening and weekend calls.

They are very keen on keeping customers, especially now they have serious competition from BT, Virgin and others. Not too long ago they were the only game in town.
    I read once (on here, I think) that "disconnections" is actually known as their "Customer Retention" department!

A few weeks ago ours went up the wall. Did a master reset, no joy so I phoned up to get an engineer out.

SKY: Because your dish and box are out of warranty we'll have to charge you for the engineer call out
    Me: I'm paying £600 a year...if I don't get a free engineer you can come and collect the box, I'll have Virgin in by weekend - fitted free.
    SKY: Sorry, my mistake, you ARE eligible for a free callout, I'll pencil you in.
    Me: Excellent, book me in. I'll need a couple of days notice to make sure someone can wait in.
    SKY: Oh no problem, it's around a 3 week wait anyway.
    Me: Haaaahahahaha. Thanks but no thanks. Can we get this cancelled, I need to call Virgin.
    SKY: There has just been a cancellation, how does 10 days sound?
    Me. No TV for a week and a half. Sounds a bit rubbish
    SKY: And a £15 a month discount for the next 12 months?
    Me: See you in ten days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    So out of interest - what do they see?
    Can't go into details but it's all aggregated as some of the channels are quite sensitive and wouldn't be something we'd publish to contact centre agents. Unless people would be happy with their partner knowing they watch babestation every evening. So you'll never get data down to individual channel or programme level published to the centres.

Even then not every customer has a box that can return viewing data. Some people have opted out too.

Unless people would be happy with their partner knowing they watch babestation every evening.
    Phew!

Jeepers! Up to £95 per month! My TV hasn't been on for 2 weeks now and it's bliss. Not missing a thing, especially the election hype.

Rod

Master
    Can't go into details but it's all aggregated as some of the channels are quite sensitive and wouldn't be something we'd publish to contact centre agents. Unless people would be happy with their partner knowing they watch babestation every evening. So you'll never get data down to individual channel or programme level published to the centres.

Even then not every customer has a box that can return viewing data. Some people have opted out too.
    So how did they know what myself and mjc1216 had been watching?

They didn't. They don't see that data.

They either guessed or they saw on your notes that you'd enquired about f1 before. Retention agents can make really good money if they're good at their job so they are very creative and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I think they can when you want to cancel because the nice lady told me..

"last week you watched X Y and Z on the movie channels you will miss them"

I said I hadn't but it turned out the wife had
    If you paid extra for a movie on box office or on demand it would appear on the system. That information would come from the billing system and not the viewing data. That's very different to analysing the viewing logs and pulling out which movie you watched on linear / live TV.

As I said earlier they can't do as it would be my team that would give them the data..... And we don't. We could, but we don't.
    Last edited by Lazydonkey; 3rd May 2015 at 08:04.

I quite fancy the look of these Maiz boxes but don't know anyone who's tried one. Does anyone here have one?

www.facebook.com/maizbox

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I quite fancy the look of these Maiz boxes but don't know anyone who's tried one. Does anyone here have one?

www.facebook.com/maizbox
    That's basically an Android Box with Kodi/XBMC installed on it, you can get the same thing much cheaper elsewhere.

They are ok but rely heavily on internet connection, don't be expecting sports to be smooth HD!

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    That's basically an Android Box with Kodi/XBMC installed on it, you can get the same thing much cheaper elsewhere.

They are ok but rely heavily on internet connection, don't be expecting sports to be smooth HD!
    Thanks gilford, not as good as I was expecting them to be. The android boxes do look to be a lot cheaper than what this company are selling them for.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Thanks gilford, not as good as I was expecting them to be. The android boxes do look to be a lot cheaper than what this company are selling them for.
    A mate of mine flogs these, he charges around £100, they are good for 3pm football, hooky movies etc if thats your thing but it isn't a patch on Sky.

Another alternative is a SpiderBox (I think thats what they are called). They are satellite based and you download the EPG via the internet, no subscription charges and you can access all the Sky content plus other services.

Journeyman
    Iv had sky for about 6 years and iv been on some form of discount or another after the first 12 months as soon as they say the price is going up I cancel or threaten too and hey presto I get another offer they just realised I was eligible for its a luxury not a necessity they need your custom at the end of the day

Craftsman
    I agree with James Mac - always threaten to leave!

Master
    Reviving this thread... :)

Just called sky to cancel out TV package as I have been paying about £125 per month for full TV, unlimited fibre broadband and phone with international calls. Agreed to remove sports and the international option to take down to £103, and then was offered a measly £16 further discount per month to £87. This was on the condition that I sign up for a further 12 months and the discount was only valid for 10 months!

Surprised by how little they offered there and then, and certainly wouldn't sign up for 12 more months without new equipment.

Anyway, went ahead with cancellation, and now awaiting a call from the retention a team.

I did stay with them for phone and broadband, and now wondering if I need to cancel those too in order to be offered a decent deal.

Master
    Look at the other Sky thread.
    I have everything for £52, BT wanted me to pay that for unlimited infinity & calls + BT sport!
    Got to say the Sky hd sport is awesome the F1 & footy is fantastic far better than the Beeb,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Look at the other Sky thread.
    I have everything for £52, BT wanted me to pay that for unlimited infinity & calls + BT sport!
    Got to say the Sky hd sport is awesome the F1 & footy is fantastic far better than the Beeb,
    Just found that thanks