closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths Prs-29a

Smiths Prs-29a

Hi,
    Is it likely that Smiths PRS-29a will return for a third time or is that it? Anyone know?
    Cheers!
    Og

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I would be very surprised it didn’t. Who knows there may be a demand for the plexi crystal version? I think Eddie is considering a plexi on the commando if I remember correctly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the movements (Sellita) for more of the PRS-29A and PRS-29 AM back in May but I still don't have a delivery date.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I ordered the movements (Sellita) for more of the PRS-29A and PRS-29 AM back in May but I still don't have a delivery date.
    The incredible lead times for watch manufacturing never cease to amaze me.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 22nd October 2021 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    I would be very surprised it didn’t. Who knows there may be a demand for the plexi crystal version? I think Eddie is considering a plexi on the commando if I remember correctly ?

Plexi and fixed bars as per the MK1

We live in hope

Craftsman
    Still have my plexi 29a from a few years back. Had it serviced last year. Sounds like back to the future. I actually prefer this to the original
    W10.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Plexi and fixed bars as per the MK1

We live in hope
    +1. With the original dial, not the “wonky 6” version!

+1 for proper dial, pointy hands and plexi

I guess the sales of the plexi Commando will give Eddie a flavour of the appetite for plexi in the market. Personally, it would be my choice for all of the Smiths watches.

I did think about posting a WTB for a plexi Mk1 the other week - but with the current WTB record sitting at 16 months and no offers there seems little point.

So its a case of hoping that there will be another production run.

I wont hold my breath.

Master
    Prefer 29B as a modern watch. 29A too small to be practical these days except for nostalgia buffs.

Unfortunately sold my double-domed saphire original.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Prefer 29B as a modern watch. 29A too small to be practical these days except for nostalgia buffs.
    What utter twaddle, only spouted by those with gorilla wrists or small members, in my opinion of course...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    What utter twaddle, only spouted by those with gorilla wrists or small members, in my opinion of course...

You sound like the touchy one there matey.

Craftsman
    You sound like the touchy one there matey.
    You suprise me that my reply registered, that gives me hope, as it would appear I actually got through.

Did you give any consideration to how your post in a thread about a 36mm watch, that you have no interest in and your only reason for posting was to tell people that your larger watch is better and that anyone who doesn't agree is a nostalgia buff, might be received?

for you to do so in a forum provided at no cost to you, by a guy who's current offerings include a significant number of such 'nostalgia buff watches' may be interpreted as you being very rude.

I look forward to your considered reply.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    You suprise me that my reply registered, that gives me hope, as it would appear I actually got through.

Did you give any consideration to how your post in a thread about a 36mm watch, that you have no interest in and your only reason for posting was to tell people that your larger watch is better and that anyone who doesn't agree is a nostalgia buff, might be received?

for you to do so in a forum provided at no cost to you, by a guy who's current offerings include a significant number of such 'nostalgia buff watches' may be interpreted as you being very rude.

I look forward to your considered reply.
    Eddie clearly has found a niche among fans of small watches, and has done pretty well fulfilling that need in the last couple of years.

There do seem to be limits to that though - the Carribbean in particular being really very much on the too small side for a lot of people (for a dive watch) and I'm sure would have had a rather bigger following at a few mm larger - let's hope there's a full-size version to follow.

Before that though his offerings were more rounded and covered more bases. The 29B was a lovely watch and I really regret selling mine, funnily enough I sold it at the time because I felt it it just a tad too small (40mm would have suited me better) ... back then though I was routinely wearing watches of well over 44mm, so I suspect I would feel ok about its 39mm today.

Certainly the majors have cottoned on to the fact that there are a lot of smaller wrists out there (as seen by smaller iterations of mainstream designs, 36mm-ish, from the likes of IWC, Omega and of course Rolex who re-instated the small Explorer), and perhaps also that there is a definite move away more generally from the very large watches of 45mm+ plus which were everywhere only a few years ago. Actully I buy into this myself, 44m being a practical maximum for me these days even though I have the wrist - 21cm - to carry off a very large watch.

Still though, mainstream watches are generally 40mm-42mm or thereabouts - that's near-universal for anything other than dress watches. It's no surprise perhaps that Eddie looks mainly outside this mainstream as a boutique provider, but some of us with larger wrists find that a matter for regret. I bought a Navigator and sold it next day - really really lovely thing but just soooo tiny! A modern-sized, 40mm version of that would undoubtedly have been a keeper.

I bought an original Smiths 6B early in my days into watches (20+ years ago, when you could still get a good one for £200) and found it too small, and years later bought a s/h 29A years just to check - yup, still too small. The 39mm 29B is really a much more modern proposition and it's a real shame (I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking) that it's no longer available, or that a plexi version at 39mm was never available, only sapphire.

Maybe this is just payback for all those of small wrist being annoyed for years that all the cool watches were too big for them - but you guys have had much of vintage as a playground in way that it was never realistically one for people with a big wrist. I think it's reasonable though to be irritated at the absence of full-size pieces I'd otherwise like to own.
    Last edited by kk; 30th October 2021 at 19:04.

Blog Entries
    I really don't want to get involved in an acrimonious debate but a 39mm (or even 40mm) PRS-29B re-issue with acrylic would be a desirable watch, I think.

Of course, it's not my money at risk. ;-)

Journeyman
    There was a post on the selling rate of 40mm watches in the last year or so. It was much lower than for the 36mm versions. Given the number of 40mm watches Eddie would have to order at a minimum and the time it would take to sell them all, I imagine Eddie would rather spend his money on making popular 36mm watches than having it tied up in slow-selling 40mm stock.

I'm quite enjoying my 36mm Smiths.

Eddie clearly has found a niche among fans of small watches, and has done pretty well fulfilling that need in the last couple of years.

There do seem to be limits to that though - the Carribbean in particular being really very much on the too small side for a lot of people (for a dive watch) and I'm sure would have had a rather bigger following at a few mm larger - let's hope there's a full-size version to follow.

Before that though his offerings were more rounded and covered more bases. The 29B was a lovely watch and I really regret selling mine, funnily enough I sold it at the time because I felt it it just a tad too small (40mm would have suited me better) ... back then though I was routinely wearing watches of well over 44mm, so I suspect I would feel ok about its 39mm today.

Certainly the majors have cottoned on to the fact that there are a lot of smaller wrists out there (as seen by smaller iterations of mainstream designs, 36mm-ish, from the likes of IWC, Omega and of course Rolex who re-instated the small Explorer), and perhaps also that there is a definite move away more generally from the very large watches of 45mm+ plus which were everywhere only a few years ago. Actully I buy into this myself, 44m being a practical maximum for me these days even though I have the wrist - 21cm - to carry off a very large watch.

Still though, mainstream watches are generally 40mm-42mm or thereabouts - that's near-universal for anything other than dress watches. It's no surprise perhaps that Eddie looks mainly outside this mainstream as a boutique provider, but some of us with larger wrists find that a matter for regret. I bought a Navigator and sold it next day - really really lovely thing but just soooo tiny! A modern-sized, 40mm version of that would undoubtedly have been a keeper.

I bought an original Smiths 6B early in my days into watches (20+ years ago, when you could still get a good one for £200) and found it too small, and years later bought a s/h 29A years just to check - yup, still too small. The 39mm 29B is really a much more modern proposition and it's a real shame (I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking) that it's no longer available, or that a plexi version at 39mm was never available, only sapphire.

Maybe this is just payback for all those of small wrist being annoyed for years that all the cool watches were too big for them - but you guys have had much of vintage as a playground in way that it was never realistically one for people with a big wrist. I think it's reasonable though to be irritated at the absence of full-size pieces I'd otherwise like to own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbio2 View Post
    There was a post on the selling rate of 40mm watches in the last year or so. It was much lower than for the 36mm versions. Given the number of 40mm watches Eddie would have to order at a minimum and the time it would take to sell them all, I imagine Eddie would rather spend his money on making popular 36mm watches than having it tied up in slow-selling 40mm stock.

I'm quite enjoying my 36mm Smiths.
    Perhaps worth counting how many newly released (always the biggest seller) 40mm watches were available for sale in the last year or so vs 36mm.

It's fairly obvious from that alone what the relative distribution would look like.

Blog Entries
    There was a post on the selling rate of 40mm watches in the last year or so. It was much lower than for the 36mm versions.
    It was here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5764989

It was in reply to kk.

Journeyman
    ,,,and he's still complaining about it. You'd think a statistic like that would suggest to him that he's tilting at windmills.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It was here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5764989

It was in reply to kk.

Master
    ,,,and he's still complaining about it. You'd think a statistic like that would suggest to him that he's tilting at windmills.
    The statistics as given are meaningless for precisely the reason I outlined above. If 40mm+ models aren't being released, and <40mm models are, then it doesn't take Einstein to work out that the small watches will make up the bulk of sales.

Journeyman
    Yet the regular black Everest and the Explore sell out in one or two Sundays while the 40mm version lingered, unloved by most, for ages. It doesn't take more than a couple of functional neurons to figure out why Eddie didn't make more.

I'm done with this topic; you can have the last word.

The statistics as given are meaningless for precisely the reason I outlined above. If 40mm+ models aren't being released, and <40mm models are, then it doesn't take Einstein to work out that the small watches will make up the bulk of sales.

Master

Here we go again…

Blog Entries
    Being ‘large’ is sooo last century.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Do you have a “gorilla wrist” or a….

Asking for scientific purposes.

Certainly the majors have cottoned on to the fact that there are a lot of smaller wrists out there..
    I think that wrist diameters, along with body sizes in general, have increased over the years. What does fluctuate is fashion.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.