closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Yaris GR

Toyota Yaris GR

I had a test drive in one of these today. Great fun, I think I enjoyed it even more than my old JCW. 261 bhp 4 wheel drive.
    Almost a 12 month wait though and £33500 for the circuit pack model.

Any one else tried one?

No but I was tempted to get one when they were released. Now there's a wait list??

Last I heard they were talking about it being a short lived model. Looks fantastic fun.

Looks pretty good value compared to a new Goof R at around £50k specc’d up
    It's just a matter of time...

I saw one in Helmsley a couple of weeks ago.
    Brand new black one, looked very cool, but at that money I would be looking at a Type R.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Really??

If I could get it in 5 door, I'd already have bought it.

Pretty sure forum member Gavbaz has a track pack GR.

I've seen two now on the roads, they're mean looking pocket rockets alright!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    .... but at that money I would be looking at a Type R.
    A bona fide, homologated 4WD rally car vs a FWD hot hatch.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Any one else tried one?
    Skyman was boasting about getting one. But I’m not sure if he’s around here anymore.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was besotted with it and ordered one blind before I got a test drive in December. Loved the looks and the engine, but honestly not much else and cancelled the order.

The feeling inside was very Toyota, it didn’t feel special when sat in it, and as a new car there were lots of rattles.

Worse bits for me was the high seating position which anyone who has been in a mk1 Focus RS will understand what I mean, and the steering was meh.

Although the Yaris has a very special rally bred chassis and it will be mega against the stopwatch or off road, I don’t have any gravel stages on the way to work and for sheer fun at legal speeds I loved the Fiesta ST a lot more.

As a daily driver for family duties etc I’d rather a Golf GTI to both though...

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I was besotted with it and ordered one blind before I got a test drive in December. Loved the looks and the engine, but honestly not much else and cancelled the order.

The feeling inside was very Toyota, it didn’t feel special when sat in it, and as a new car there were lots of rattles.

Worse bits for me was the high seating position which anyone who has been in a mk1 Focus RS will understand what I mean, and the steering was meh.

Although the Yaris has a very special rally bred chassis and it will be mega against the stopwatch or off road, I don’t have any gravel stages on the way to work and for sheer fun at legal speeds I loved the Fiesta ST a lot more.

As a daily driver for family duties etc I’d rather a Golf GTI to both though...
    Thanks. I agree about seating position but the seats were very comfortable and it didn’t bother me that much. The car I went out in had no rattles at all in contrast to the Type R. I test drove 5 CTR and they all had dash rattles.

I have a test drive next Monday for a couple of hours and one of my friends has already driven and ordered one.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I saw one in Helmsley a couple of weeks ago.
    Brand new black one, looked very cool, but at that money I would be looking at a Type R.
    They are completely different cars, one is a front drive hot hatch while the other is a four wheel drive homologation special rally car, why compare them.

I have driven one it is a very fast and pointy car, it doesn't rattle the fillings out of your teeth but it isn't a soft road car, incredibly stable and predictable on the limit considering the powertrain and unique monocoque it is incredibly good value for money

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    They are completely different cars, one is a front drive hot hatch while the other is a four wheel drive homologation special rally car, why compare them.
    I wasn't comparing them at all. I said if I was spending £30 odd k I'd buy the Type R. I've no doubt the Toyota is a good car, my better half has a Yaris and it's excellent. My choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Really??

I've factory ordered one new to my spec and paid 25% less than that.

I've ordered a competition pack which should be delivered in December just before Christmas :-). I've not driven one yet (bad back at the moment), but I've had 3 Abarths so not very bothered by interior.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

I have driven one it is a very fast and pointy car, it doesn't rattle the fillings out of your teeth but it isn't a soft road car, incredibly stable and predictable on the limit considering the powertrain and unique monocoque it is incredibly good value for money
    A good summary. It made me realise my mistake in getting an auto JCW. The manual gearbox was good and it was so much more fun than the Mini. I can understand why it might not be a daily compared to the CTR but it did feel a better car and more exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    I've factory ordered one new to my spec and paid 25% less than that.
    I’m sure you got a good discount, as they are available.

My point being that if you spec up a car on the VW config, it’s pretty easy to get well over 50k and 55k if you fully load one!
    It's just a matter of time...

Nice car if you can have it just for fun. Wouldn’t be great as an only car, kids etc.

I’m sure there is already a solution to get the seat lower.

After some criminal pos scumsuckers decided they liked my amazingly fast and gorgeous RS Megane more than I did, I decided to replace it with a lovely white low mile SLK CDi.
    I thought about it long and hard but decided there is no longer any point having anything fast and desirable. Even if it doesn't get nicked, every miserable bugger and his dog are trying to dob you in for speeding or overtaking, potholes, speed cameras etc, fast cars just not worth it anymore.

Saw one of these last week, looked mean in red. Gave these some thought but decided I wanted something a bit more mental

Yarry by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    After some criminal pos scumsuckers decided they liked my amazingly fast and gorgeous RS Megane more than I did, I decided to replace it with a lovely white low mile SLK CDi.
    I thought about it long and hard but decided there is no longer any point having anything fast and desirable. Even if it doesn't get nicked, every miserable bugger and his dog are trying to dob you in for speeding or overtaking, potholes, speed cameras etc, fast cars just not worth it anymore.
    Who has been telling on you?

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Who has been telling on you?
    I'm working my way through the list.

Toyota bypassed Canada and the US and sold 300 in Mexico.

Sold out in 24 hours. I'm sure some will cross the border

Think it has to do with the emission controls which doesn't pass our countries settings.

I loved my 2004 Echo Hatchback RS. Drove it for 16 years

DON

Craftsman

Toyota Yaris GR

I’ve just picked the GR Circuit up in red. Sold out until 2023.
    It’s a fun second car:
    Seating position is high but it’s a homologated rally car so it’s designed that way rather than a track car where you sit low. I’m 5’10” and I have loads of head room;
    The manual shift is great, really snickety and mechanical,
    Brakes are very effective with good feel;
    Damping is superb, it’s firm but no crash in the ride on British B roads compared to a JCW;
    Stereo is rubbish but fade speakers to front and eliminate the atrocious rears and its passable;
    Steering is pointy with no dead zone;
    Sound is better than expected with loads of dump valve and whoosh but alas no pops;
    Power is immense for a 3 pot with pull from 3k revs all the way to 7k;
    Seats are epically comfortable;
    Cabin finish is average but again better than would be expected for a Yaris;
    Rear leg room and roof line is rubbish, it’s a 2+2 at best;
    Better boot space than the JCW but nothing special;
    Apple car play is effective but wired only which is a pain, you can purchase an after market plug and play solution to avoid though;
    Blind spots with the mirror and media screen and thick a pillars though;
    Reversing camera is acceptable though you cannot see the edges of bumper so have to use door mirrors in conjunction;
    Pearlescent paint is exemplary quality;
    Cheap to tax at £155 and protected NCD with legal insurance was £179 with Admiral - bargain;
    Requires six monthly service.
    Overall it’s a great drivers car but you do sacrifice on tech, convenience and cabin quality. You buy the car to drive rather than a motorway mile cruncher, quite a bit of road noise at speed. Worth the compromise tbh.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Good review thanks. I’m still undecided if I’m going to cancel mine or give it a go. Not due until May 2022
    Last edited by awright101; 3rd October 2021 at 17:12.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Good review thanks. I’m still undecided if I’m going to cancel mine or give it a go. Not due until. At 2022
    Hold the order and sell it for £2k profit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    It’s a fun second car:
    Seating position is high but it’s a homologated rally car so it’s designed that way rather than a track car where you sit low. I’m 5’10” and I have loads of head room;
    Damping is superb, it’s firm but no crash in the ride on British B roads compared to a JCW;
    Stereo is rubbish but fade speakers to front and eliminate the atrocious rears and its passable;
    Sound is better than expected with loads of dump valve and whoosh but alas no pops;
    Apple car play is effective but wired only which is a pain, you can purchase an after market plug and play solution to avoid though;
    Reversing camera is acceptable though you cannot see the edges of bumper so have to use door mirrors in conjunction;
    Cheap to tax at £155 and protected NCD with legal insurance was £179 with Admiral - bargain;
    Overall it’s a great drivers car but you do sacrifice on tech, convenience and cabin quality. You buy the car to drive rather than a motorway mile cruncher, quite a bit of road noise at speed. Worth the compromise tbh.

Mine on order and they are getting quite a few cancellations so some orders are coming through sooner than stated.

The Toyota Yaris GR forum is full of information to cover most of the points you have raised.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My mate bought one while I cancelled my order because it’s too small for my needs.

His car is great, it really shifts and always turns heads.

I don’t regret cancelling mine because I needed more space and bought a last of the line 7.5 GTI performance and find my car nicer inside, but on a country lane I’m in no doubt the Yaris is noticeably faster and then I am jealous :)

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    It’s a fun second car:

If you want pops, bangs and a little more oomph talk to Syvecs

I'm kind of tempted to order one, partly as a way of limiting the amount of stuff that Mrs Gyp insists we take everywhere.

Was thinking convenience pack rather than circuit pack, but it looks like almost all that people have bought have been the circuit.

I suspect it will be too small for our needs in practice though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you don’t have kids and run it like a van with the seats folded it’s pretty practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    No but I was tempted to get one when they were released. Now there's a wait list??

Last I heard they were talking about it being a short lived model. Looks fantastic fun.
    3 models

Early - 150HP

Second GRMN which everyone was talking about previously and limited- 206hp

Now this one at 268hp and much higher priced.

Yaris was discontinued to the US and Canada. Could have sold better if they upped the HP to match the competition

DON

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    A bona fide, homologated 4WD rally car vs a FWD hot hatch.

Really?
    Yes really

Master
    Yes really
    I would too, the R type does everything whereas the GR would have to be a 2nd or 3rd car.

My GR ordered in January with expected delivery in December arrived a few weeks ago. Initial feelings picking it up from a dealer and driving through the town centre home were pretty underwhelming. After the Abarths I have owned it seemed very lacking in character, it was just quiet and efficient. However after having been diverted by Waze off a motorway trip and down some narrow pot-holed country lanes in the wet my feelings for the car have been transformed. It is amazingly sure footed and an absolute hoot in the right circumstances. Since then I've been able to try it on a few more of the country roads I'm familiar with around my home and it really is deceptively fast and a sensible size which makes driving the roads around where I live a lot more enjoyable. For anyone living in a city and usually driving dual carriage ways etc I think there would be more 'fun' cars.

Local dealer has confirmed that the GR I'm waiting for won't be delivered before "sometime in 2023".

I think I'll have to look elsewhere for petrol's last hurrah

Buy an Up Gti for 75% of the fun at 33% of the price to tide you over until 2023.

995kg and 140hp in mine.

Its no Grrrrrr Yaris, but it's nearly there and so much fun

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Buy an Up Gti for 75% of the fun at 33% of the price to tide you over until 2023.

995kg and 140hp in mine.

Its no Grrrrrr Yaris, but it's nearly there and so much fun
    Or buy an Evo 5/6 :D, great 'investment' too.

Master
    If anyone hears of a friend cancelling or thinking of cancelling give me a pm, hoping to pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I would too, the R type does everything whereas the GR would have to be a 2nd or 3rd car.

But the Civic Type-R looks utterly hideous.

Every interation of it has got progressively more absurd looking - like someone has been to Halfords and bought every stick-on body mod in the shop, and then just thrown them at the car.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    But the Civic Type-R looks utterly hideous.

Every interation of it has got progressively more absurd looking - like someone has been to Halfords and bought every stick-on body mod in the shop, and then just thrown them at the car.
    Yeah - I was a big Honda fan back in the day (CRX, Civic coupes, Accord Type R), but I wouldn’t go near one of the Civic Type Rs, and I’m not sure next year’s replacement will be any better looking.

I might be more interested in the GR86 than the Yaris...

3 of my mates have Grrrrrrrrrrrrsssss. All three love them. All three have had various lotuses / loti over the years and are absolute car nuts. Driving position is initially feels a bit high but it's more than workable. It's a bit quiet as standard but 2 of the 3 have put on a loud zaust. 1 credits the wee car with falling in love with driving again and is going out for fun blasts for no reason for the first time in a decade.

Only downsides i can see is the space question, def more of a 2+2 as others have said, but way better than something like a gt86.

Craftsman
    Having had a GR since October I was surprised at how soft the paint is and how prone it is to chipping. I bit the bullet and PPF’d the whole car with some additional sacrificial layers on the front grill and rear arches. I think it would make sense to add some mud guards as well. Other than that, it is an epic little beast of a car and really fun. I’ve not upgraded the exhaust as the internal speaker supplement works quite well and fits the car character and there is some noise cancelling at work to suppress drone due to the lack of noise insulation materials to save weight.

Master
    Interesting to see what's under the roof wrap!

https://youtu.be/bQ2lDPYe_Mc

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sleep inducing zzzzzz
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

More importantly:

https://mobile.twitter.com/zero2turb...77254012313601

GRrrrr is ‘ard as nails. 😂

Test drive booked.

Of course, if I do trade my huge comfy family barge for one I'll never hear the end of it

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Especially if you’ll need to squeeze your family into the GR.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Especially if you’ll need to squeeze your family into the GR.
    I don't, but Mrs Gyp doesn't travel light

I did look at one with a pair of child seats in the back.

The owner also had a BMW 550 touring for family duties though

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk