closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your claim to fame?

Had lunch with Bobby Moore (literally just me and him). I had been asked to meet & greet him and take him for lunch and my boss was later mortified to learn that I'd taken him to the staff canteen - I wasn't really aware of who he was and he was such a nice bloke - spent more time chatting about me than him
    He died just a few months later and I realised he would have known he was terminally ill when we had met. The Bobby Moore Fund has been my go-to charity every since.

Both Vivian Westwood and Bob Geldof have called me a c**t

My mum’s sister divorced her then husband and married Big Daddy the famous wrestler from the 70s. On the day of my Grandad’s funeral in 1980 he turned up and left early to go to London to film Jim’ll Fix It.

This allows me to say: there is nothing as queer as folk, says my Uncle Shirley. (Real name Shirley Crabtree for those who don’t know).

He still owes me £1. I used to deal in records and he wanted a copy of The Seekers ‘We shall not be Moved’ - his entrance tune when he wrestled. I got him a copy and passed it on, but never got my money back.

I see John Parrot mentioned above, he lived in the next street to me as a kid. He's about 3 years older than me but we shared the same junior school and were in the same play of which he played the lead role of Aladdin.
    I think I was just a street urchin IIRC.

From my own perspective - I once featured on Top Gear casually walking up the pit lane smoking a fag (back in the day). Had no idea Clarkson and the crew were there on the day but clocked it after recording a Top Gear show when VHS vids were the norm.

Also attended a book presentation from Johnny Herbert who after the Q & A, came and sat with us and chatted for about 15 mins about life and times. For a not so lofty guy, I remember thinking his hands were goalkeeper massive haha
    Last edited by reggie747; 30th July 2022 at 14:55.

Craftsman
    I played in Oxon Youth Orchestra under Muir Matheson. Until he died and I read his obituary I had no idea who he was.

Got thrown out of The Levellers dressing room for peeing in the shower. Not my finest hour ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

McCulloch was always miserable but Will Sergeant was funny.
    Bumped into McCulloch in Steve's chippy in Ashfield Rd, L17 not too long ago........and he still is !!!

I've been on TV three times.

Did an intro for BBC's Timewatch at the RAH and two antique/collectable programmes.

Many years ago when I was in the racket I had my picture on the front page of the Independent.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Had lunch with Bobby Moore (literally just me and him). I had been asked to meet & greet him and take him for lunch and my boss was later mortified to learn that I'd taken him to the staff canteen - I wasn't really aware of who he was and he was such a nice bloke - spent more time chatting about me than him
    He died just a few months later and I realised he would have known he was terminally ill when we had met. The Bobby Moore Fund has been my go-to charity every since.
    Best claim to fame here.

I would have loved to have met Sir Bobby. A truly dignified man, even in terrible adversity.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    So... did they rinse you or did you hold your own? Must have been a few years ago given you mention the Devilfish.

I struggle to put dates on poker tourneys, I played for about 3 years pretty much none stop - big wins, big losses, anti-social hours, the lot but I'd say that one was 2008/09-ish, I've hardly played live at all since having kids (2011 onwards!). This will have been a Ladbrokes event, it was almost all UK players on there and they had a ton of celeb players (Vinnie Jones, Robbie Fowler etc) who had bounties on them in the tournaments and often used to attend the live events. I wanted a bigger site though so I left there when I got a rake-back deal with Full Tilt but that was a complete disaster, all the live games you could satellite into were in the US so useless to me and I was pretty shocking online against the Americans and Canadians, never really got any sort of momentum going, cost me a fortune trying to relearn the game to beat the Yanks.

Vicky Coren spent approx 98% of the tournament outside having a crafty cig and Devilfish spent 94% of his time signing autographs and taking photo's, so they weren't much trouble if I'm honest but the whole table held their breath when Devilfish got properly involved in a hand. This was a side event, either £70 or £55 to buy in so not really a big-league game. You should have seen the list to get on a cash table afterwards though! It felt like every time the tourney broke up a table it was taken with cash game, everyone desperate to get sat with one of the pro's. There were two of us went down - with the cash tables being our main reason for going really - but in the end we just went into town and spewed a load of cash in the fruit machines instead. No problems like that these days, last time I went in Grosvenor after midnight there were half a dozen old fellas pushing the same £1/£1 blinds back and forth between them.
    Roland De Wolfe was in the same game when I played with Devilfish but on a different table. Roberto Romanello as well, I seem to recall. Those two were my absolute heroes in the game, never hear from them these days but I still have Sam Razavi on facebook, he's always good for a laugh.
    Last edited by kevkojak; 30th July 2022 at 15:16.

Journeyman
    Was on local and national news to help promote the importance of carbon monoxide detectors in the home after ours literally saved our lives.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Master
    I got a speeding ticket once......

...in a crane.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    A mate recently found a video on YouTube from a illegal rave in Cambridge in 1992, Im on it a few times dancing away completely off my tits, hope my kids never see it!

This sounds like a "YouTube link or it never happened" moment Jase.
    You don't have to tell us which one is you...

Forgot to mention I did some BBC broadcasts about hifi and home cinema and phone in's from the public. That was nerve-wracking!

Babette Cole illustrated my first published story

My claim to fame is, nobody knows me.

Craftsman
    Had a beer with Bjorn Borg in Changi airport about 25 years ago.
    Also had a beer with Paul Young in a bar in St Peters Port in the mid 80”s, in that same bar I seen Oliver Reed having a quiet drink one afternoon, he’s wasn’t as big as you think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Had a beer with Bjorn Borg in Changi airport about 25 years ago.
    Also had a beer with Paul Young in a bar in St Peters Port in the mid 80”s, in that same bar I seen Oliver Reed having a quiet drink one afternoon, he’s wasn’t as big as you think he is.
    When we were camping on Guernsey a few years ago, there was a long but enjoyable walk from the campsite to the Houmet Tavern. It took us past some small bungalows. The occupier of one pounced on us as we passed to invite us in to his house to see the hole in the wall that Oliver Reed had punched one night when taken by drink one evening. He used to own the property apparently.
    It doesn't really narrow down which evening it was!

I blew all the windows out of Blackpool police station when I was a kid. That made papers for a day or two.

Also met Billy Beaumont just after he captained England against New Zealand in my local rugby club. Not being a particular follower of the game asked him if he played much rugby. Big faux par.

- - - Updated - - -

I blew all the windows out of Blackpool police station when I was a kid. That made papers for a day or two.

Also met Billy Beaumont just after he captained England against New Zealand in my local rugby club. Not being a particular follower of the game asked him if he played much rugby. Big faux par.

Master
    I played a game of table tennis with Patrick Moore (the astronomer)… he was pretty good for an old guy😎

Flew first class with James Brown and his henchman, I was photographing the new first class cabin for Continental Airlines at the time. We were on our way to Manaus to photograph the brochure for a new fishng outfitter who did trips on his new houseboat for Peacock bass. A great couple of weeks.

I was using the urinal in rockcity in Nottingham next to the drummer from manic Street Preachers in the '90s. Perhaps

Master
    Blog Entries
    I cycled Lands End to John o groats with Dermot Murnaghan, I had no idea who he was until the last day. Decent bloke who always took his turn on the front.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I cycled Lands End to John o groats with Dermot Murnaghan, I had no idea who he was until the last day. Decent bloke who always took his turn on the front.

Also played football with Mark Lawrinson.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Bumped into McCulloch in Steve's chippy in Ashfield Rd, L17 not too long ago........and he still is !!!
    I know Steve’s well. It’s been there bloody years. I lived just up the Aigburth Road near St Michaels.

Good to know Ian’s still a misery. What did he order? I always imagined him as a chips and curry sauce kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    This sounds like a "YouTube link or it never happened" moment Jase.
    You don't have to tell us which one is you...
    I’ll PM you the link and the times Kev 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Me again.

I was the Senior Butler and Valet for David Cameron and his family.

Master
    I was taught how to play backgammon by Supermac.

He was lounge lizarding at the time in a hotel bar I used to frequent in kangaroo valley (Earl's Court). If my memory serves me right he'd just left his wife and was knocking off the hotel owners daughter (Nicky ?).

The memory of which has just prompted me to see what he's been up to in the 40 years since that happened - life has not been kind to him, and I'm still a crap backgammon player .

Master
    I was interviewed by Kate Adie on the SS Uganda as I was on it for a school cruise when it was requisitioned for the Falklands and then was a prominent extra in the reach of Goodbye Mr Chips TV series with Roy Marsden as it was filmed at my school to follow the film which was also.

Also, and not particularly edifying, my appearance on Page 3 of The Sun in April 1998 just before I quit drinking.

There were three tits on the page that day!

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon View Post
    Also, and not particularly edifying, my appearance on Page 3 of The Sun in April 1998 just before I quit drinking.
    Just because they banned you from the pub didn't mean you had to stop drinking altogether

More seriously, well done.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Wait until Steptoe ( Neil) steps up to the challenge!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Hardly claims to fame but were for me in a small way...

David Coverdale (Whitesnake) was in my class at school and best mate, We used to train together in athletics, he being a good discus thrower and I was at javelin. Took his 2 Alsation dogs on Saltburn beach a few times. Lost touch when he joined Deep Purple but he came to see me once when he was in Deep Purple.
    Went to see him recently at Newcastle Arena but security was too tight and missed him. If he could have met anyone that night in the audience I would have been the chosen one LOL.

My Dad was friendly with Geoff Boycott and he stayed at our house a couple of times in the late 50's.

Police career...

Waded in to some Skinheads once and pulled a lad out damaging railway property.... turned out to be the UK's most wanted football hooligan. I was commended and rewarded by the British Transport Police and a commendation from my own Chief Constable.

Went on the World's longest overland expedition (Comex) as a winner of best Police Cadet for 3 years running.

Later career in audio.....

Some notable clients ... Sacha Distel, Peter Sallis, Dirty Den off East Enders, Ellery Hanley (Rugby), Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece. Steve Gibson (Director Middlesbrough FC).

Asked to go to Abbey Rd Studio 2 to evaluate some speakers. John Williams (Classical guitar) was there and asked me to advise him on speakers for his own studio. Advised Steve Hackett (ex Genesis) too on home & studio speakers.

Invited to go to the 2012 Prog Rock Awards and met loads of giants of rock, too many to mention.
    Ellory Hanley is the GOAT of British Rugby League……

Master
    Andy de la Tour bummed a fag off me when I used to work for a small production company.

I had a one-night-stand with Marilyn Crossey of Cadburys Flake fame. And yes I did.

My business partner and I arranged finance for a pub venture involving Mel Galley, Whitesnake songwriter.

Strangely, Marilyn and Mel both died of cancer within months of each other.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I was interviewed by Kate Adie on the SS Uganda as I was on it for a school cruise when it was requisitioned for the Falklands and then was a prominent extra in the reach of Goodbye Mr Chips TV series with Roy Marsden as it was filmed at my school to follow the film which was also.

Congratulations on your lottery win!

I’m on the same forum as a bloke who is really good at drawing comics.

I was one of a few making a dash for it, the car came to a stop only a few feet from where my brother and a friend and I were standing. My brother was treated for shock in the medical centre and I won't forget the conversations I had with some of the medical crew attending. They were told via their radios that a race car had crashed into s spectator area and they were genuinely expecting fatalities. Thankfully no-one was hurt, even the driver got out unaided, though he was more than a little shaken. Close call with one of the marshalls!

https://youtu.be/646fqaIfWvI

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Just because they banned you from the pub didn't mean you had to stop drinking altogether

More seriously, well done.
    Cheers. It was a spoof. I mentioned it the night before and someone rang the news desk at 2am for a laugh, I was keeping the pub afloat. Ended up all over the media for short while, Chris Evans etc. It took a few months more before I realised I was unlikely to make 30.

I stopped for about 5 years and now stop as soon as I can feel it taking any effect.

Being a Buffoon, I saw a friend from that period 10 years later and they asked about it including remembering there was a German news channel that followed it up. I stated that of course yes, it featured a fat bloke and beer, all that was missing was sausages. He proceeded to introduce me to his German fiancé.

Master
    When working for Midland Bank/HSBC, financed the start up of Cobra Lager - see the book by Lord Karan Bilimoria "Bottled for Business", where I get a mention.

I humbled the (U.S.) S.E.C. back in the '80s when they arrogantly decided to charge me along with a handful of tech execs. After two weeks of trying to make their case in federal court, the judge issued a Summary Dismissal, saying not only did the S.E.C. fail to prove its case, they actually proved my innocence! The judge ordered the S.E.C. to pay my lawyer fees, which exceeded $300k. The business editor of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune dedicated a full column to the debacle.

I paid for Wilson Kipsang's shopping in Tesco on Tower Bridge rd the night before a London Marathon, ran alongside Michel Roux for a bit, beat Ewan Thomas and finished alongside Woody from Madness. As did several thousand others :)

Blog Entries
    From the age of 15 I worked in a local night club called the rock garden flipping burgers to rocker's on a Friday night and new wave, punk rockers on a Saturday night.
    At that time I was an avid listener to John peel and working in the club was a dream.
    I saw some things!
    I would turn up to watch the sound checks on many occasions and met lots of groups in their early days.
    One of many things stand out, sting of the police asking were to get some food, the local chippy called yk chow was always a winner.
    Gary numan of the then tubeway army buying drinks and generally not being serious!
    Wish I had a camera then.

Master
    I scored a hat trick against Ant or Dec once.

I had an argument with Chris Martin (Coldplay) - i won..

2 maybe 3

1st person to sell watchstraps (as a business) on the Internet when there were only two forums and one of the 1st to create and sell third party Panerai styled straps.

2nd - cousin was Frank Shuster of the Wayne and Shuster comedy team

Other cousin was Joe Shuster - co-creator of Superman

DON

I watched Sarah Ferguson doing cartwheels through the bar at Greenwich Naval College.......... in a dress (Her- not me )

With a good drink in her - I thought she was Olympic standard !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I humbled the (U.S.) S.E.C. back in the '80s when they arrogantly decided to charge me along with a handful of tech execs. After two weeks of trying to make their case in federal court, the judge issued a Summary Dismissal, saying not only did the S.E.C. fail to prove its case, they actually proved my innocence! The judge ordered the S.E.C. to pay my lawyer fees, which exceeded $300k. The business editor of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune dedicated a full column to the debacle.
    Cor, that's a good one. Well done. :-)

Timmy Mallet once told me to ‘xxxx off’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've told Derek Nimmo to f**k off and Chrissie Hynde has told me to f**k off. One was a mistake and the other wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Timmy Mallet once told me to ‘xxxx off’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My claim to fame is I once drank cherry brandy from Timmy Mallet's hip flask (not a euphemism).

That's a good one - my father was Captain of the Uganda for a time, there were three educational cruise ships in the B.I. fleet, Devonia, Nevasa and Uganda. The B.I. (British India) had the distinction of having the largest merchant company fleet in the world. I just know your life could not go on without those pearls of general ignorance!