TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Richard Mille

Master

Richard Mille

There is cliche, there is pretentious and then there's this - Richard Mille

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XQHNHTnTpA

Is Mille style over substance as well ?

B

Great track, great cars and great footage. Made we want to drive fast and go on holiday but didn't make me want to buy a watch.

Yes. There is some substance there, some reasonably innovative use of new materials in watchmaking but, and to me it’s a big but, those materials don’t improve on the function of the watches at all and they don’t in any way justify the price. They target a section of the market where price is the main selling point, if it’s not ridiculously expensive, and obvious to everyone that sees it that it’s ridiculously expensive, they don’t want it. Fools and their money, but it is their money, or in the examples I’ve seen it’s their daddy’s money, so I guess they can spend it how they like.

Two things spring to mind there

JK drove his own Lamborghini in the video for Cosmic Girl

If the speedtail is no faster than a standard McLaren then what’s the point?

Oh, and then there were a few shots of a watch!

I like the cars, I like the watches, I will never be able to afford either, but that makes me only mildly envious and not-at-all resentful - I'm glad they exist, they are beautiful and inspiring, after their fashion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t dislike them to look at but the do nothing for me either. I think the skeleton duals and case shapes don’t help being a bit marmite.

I understand they are technical innovations but never in a truly useful or groundbreaking way, more like use of fancy materials etc.

I am happy for those who own or wear one via sponsorship, but I have no desire to have one at all.

Master
    The watches did nothing for me but recently I’ve started warming to them.

Excellent holiday watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Two things spring to mind there

JK drove his own Lamborghini in the video for Cosmic Girl

If the speedtail is no faster than a standard McLaren then what’s the point?

Oh, and then there were a few shots of a watch!
    The 'standard' McLaren is a P1

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    The 'standard' McLaren is a P1
    I wasn’t actually being serious, it’s a promotional photo shoot and wouldn’t work if one car just drove off into the distance.

A bit like the James Bond car chases where Bond in his Aston can’t outrun the villain in a basic saloon car!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Theyre knocked to hell and back on forums and the styling isnt for everyone, but you cant knock the finishing or some of the materials.
    I like them a lot and would have the 35-01 Nadal Ultimate White or the RM055 Yas Marina in a heartbeat.
    Not too keen on the shape of the new Speedtail.

Master
    I would love a Richard Mille watch, just need to find someone to buy me one. RM50-03 please😁

Craftsman
    Most of them just appear massive to me. Also, I know the same could be said for a lot of Rolex etc but the premiums scare the life out of me. I don't buy to "invest" or anything but like to know that if I hit hard times I've got a good chance of getting most of my money back

I think wearing a Richard Mille must be just about the most effective way of screaming "I seem to be considerably richer than you" without opening your mouth.
    Ludicrous creations

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think wearing a Richard Mille must be just about the most effective way of screaming "I seem to be considerably richer than you" without opening your mouth.
    Ludicrous creations
    If that's true then where's Skyman's? Never saw it on the Friday thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If that's true then where's Skyman's? Never saw it on the Friday thread.
    Ahh, he may have been rich, but not that rich......

Ludicrous creations
    There's no question they're a high-gain "look-at-me" watch, but your average easily-impressed mug punter would have no idea what one was - probably assume it's a G-Shock, if they give it any thought at-all, whereas for sheer shiny-shiny smell-my-wedge mass-market brand-recognition nothing can ever begin to approach R*l*x...!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Theyre knocked to hell and back on forums and the styling isnt for everyone, but you cant knock the finishing or some of the materials.
    I like them a lot and would have the 35-01 Nadal Ultimate White or the RM055 Yas Marina in a heartbeat.
    Not too keen on the shape of the new Speedtail.
    The new speedtail does nothing for me either. Good job as its hundreds of thousands of pounds out of my budget! Most of them just appear massive to me. I'm 6'6 and when I tried a friends RM 011 I still feel it was too big for me

Ludicrous creations
    Totally off base. A regular person would never be able to guess how much an RM costs. There are far easier and obvious ways of flashing wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Totally off base. A regular person would never be able to guess how much an RM costs. There are far easier and obvious ways of flashing wealth.
    Sorry, you're in the wrong there.
    An RM is not intended to show off to regular people.
    Regular people are so far beneath the average RM owner they wouldn't acknowledge they exist except to warn them not to scratch the luggage.
    This is the type of watch that is intended to be visible to lesser people who wear mere Pateks and Rolexes, people who know all about RM and know what they cost, multiples more than their own "success bauble"

Different league altogether.

Sorry, you're in the wrong there.
    An RM is not intended to show off to regular people.
    Regular people are so far beneath the average RM owner they wouldn't acknowledge they exist except to warn them not to scratch the luggage.
    This is the type of watch that is intended to be visible to lesser people who wear mere Pateks and Rolexes, people who know all about RM and know what they cost, multiples more than their own "success bauble"

Different league altogether.
    Haha
    Not all RMs are in six figures:-)

Craftsman
    I remember when the RM Skull watch came out , it really hit the spot for me , I made an enquiry about the price and availability, I can remember it was a very short phone call.

I genuinely had no idea of the price of them at the time.

Ludicrous creations
    I think that really is half the appeal if any of us ever 'reach that level'

There are a few actually nice RMs, their chronograph being one of them - https://quillandpad.com/2020/12/03/r...rs-with-video/

Don't know if any of you remember this occurrence of an RM 50 theft in Ibiza in June 2019 ?

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...ibiza-2856679/

but it has a happy ending ....transpires the wearer at the time of theft was not the owner but a friend and was just borrowing it...eek..

anyway the owner managed to recover it using a "private recovery company"....

https://theibizan.com/owner-of-stole...l-at-recovery/
    Last edited by TKH; 10th June 2021 at 10:25.