closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explorer 2 Value Increasing

Explorer 2 Value Increasing

Hi everyone,

I’ve just been looking on Chrono24 at the price of Rolex explorer 2s,although I know the prices on there are high and not very realistic compared to somewhere like our own sales corner it does seem that prices on the whole have increased a lot recently. I have a 2004 SEL Black dial one myself,box but no papers. I just wanted to know what could I realistically sell it for now? Prices on Chrono24 start at around £5000 no box and papers so i would be interested to know what people think.

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93669]TZ-UK mobile app[/ur

Master
    these have followed the same percentage in rises to other stainless steel sports imo going by prices online. As said, all depends where you intend to sell.

I asked a dealer near me in Winchester for a PX price for my 2009 white face Exp 2 full set and he said 4k .... they have a full set older version for sale at 6.9k!

so yours loose, on the forum 3.8 to 4.2k Surely
    Last edited by southerner101; 2nd November 2020 at 15:26.

I was surprised at how much the older 16570 went for on SC. I’m guessing because it was unworn?

I sold mine on here, loose, for 2.5k a couple of years back. From what I recall it went to a very good home, so hopefully it's still being appreciated.

It was a forum watch, at a forum price.

I do miss it! I would really struggle to pay double that for a similar piece though; it hasn't doubled in value to me since it left.

To me, the 216570 is the only modern sports Rolex better than the previous version. They up-sized it but didn’t turn the maxi-case into a horrendous slab sided monster. I much prefer the thicker, more legible, hands too. The 16570 hands look a bit weedy and less balanced.

About 3 years ago I came across a used version was in a jewellers in the city for £2700, I bought a new Seamaster instead...

Doh!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd November 2020 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    To me, the 216570 is the only modern sports Rolex better than the previous version. They up-sized it but didn’t turn the maxi-case into a horrendous slab sided monster. I much prefer the thicker, more legible, hands too. The 16570 hands look a bit weedy and less balanced.
    Each to their own, I still think the hands on the 216570 look cartoonishly large.

Even with a considerable increase, I would say the explorer 2 (16550s and 16750s) represents good value in comparison to the market prices for the near identical GMT models. There is no way a 16710 is worth almost twice a 16570.

Master
    I am in the market for the later model now and have come to terms with the fact that I will have to pay over RRP (if anyone is prepared to part with one), despite these having been 4-5k watches on SC over the last few years. I also remember the time of the sub 3k explorer 2, but the crazy Rolex world has impacted the perceived less desirable models now too

I remember visiting a dealer must be 15 years ago and he opened a drawer containing - at a conservative guess - at least 30 polar explorers. The most expensive was £1500! At the time - in fact as long as I can remember - they were always easily available at a Rolex AD. If they had a sports model in the window, it would be an ExpII. I’m amazed at the price now, they were never all that popular in the past (in comparison with other models) - I had a couple of the black dialled version and I always liked them. I haven’t tried the new larger version but with my large wrists maybe I should

Rolex *insert any model* has increased in value. Surely not? That said, I don't think now is an easy market, especially for this model (I have the current model bought in Jan, much prefer it) - but others will disagree. You won't know the value until you sell it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Rolex *insert any model* has increased in value. Surely not? That said, I don't think now is an easy market, especially for this model (I have the current model bought in Jan, much prefer it) - but others will disagree. You won't know the value until you sell it.
    There was a black newer model that went yesterday for £6300 on eBay (I know), and that was pretty well worn - may give an indication. I suspect a minter will top £7k privately (216570 not the earlier version)
    Last edited by mtagrant; 2nd November 2020 at 17:01.

Master
    I had tried to sell my 2013 polar on the forum a couple of years ago when I was in full Paneristi mode. Freshly serviced and a new crystal, at I think around 5k if memory serves, and struggled to get much interest.
    Every year also seems to bring speculation of a new ceramic bezel, which I think would be a beezer.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I had tried to sell my 2013 polar on the forum a couple of years ago when I was in full Paneristi mode. Freshly serviced and a new crystal, at I think around 5k if memory serves, and struggled to get much interest.
    Every year also seems to bring speculation of a new ceramic bezel, which I think would be a beezer.

Happy to pay you £5k for it now Rob 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Even with a considerable increase, I would say the explorer 2 (16550s and 16750s) represents good value in comparison to the market prices for the near identical GMT models. There is no way a 16710 is worth almost twice a 16570.
    A friend recently said about my 16550 "Oh that Exp II of yours must be worth something now!". I said just what you said, if it was the 'same' GMT it would be £10,000.

Master
    Prices have shot up. I’d say comfortable high £4ks on the forum for box no papers now. If it has a Rolex service paper, etc, then more. Not much on chrono24 under £6k from a U.K. dealer.
    Last edited by Berty234; 2nd November 2020 at 21:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I sold mine on here, loose, for 2.5k a couple of years back. From what I recall it went to a very good home, so hopefully it's still being appreciated.

It was a forum watch, at a forum price.

I do miss it! I would really struggle to pay double that for a similar piece though; it hasn't doubled in value to me since it left.
    I swapped mine for a Panerai, guess which one is more valuable now. ;)

Master
    As an aside I recall lusting after a 40mm explorer 2 when I was at university. I was amazed that anyone would pay 1800 pounds for a watch, if I remember the retail price properly.
    That being said I vastly prefer the 42mm to the original model.

My jewel of the crown to have in the future is the explorer II white. But the prices as all of you mention has raise a lot in the last year. I follow one forum in Spanish and the prices are high, above 5k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see how much further the Explorer 2 rises if a new model is announced in April.

Prices seem to have already shot up since this post was started in November.

I knew they had gone up but £6k for a naked watch? Jeez

Grand Master
    I keep being tempted to let mine go but then again I think I’d regret it.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    The new one has good proportions and looks good in photos, but would be far too large for me. Horses for courses obviously, but for many the 40mm older version is in demand for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I remember visiting a dealer must be 15 years ago and he opened a drawer containing - at a conservative guess - at least 30 polar explorers. The most expensive was £1500! At the time - in fact as long as I can remember - they were always easily available at a Rolex AD. If they had a sports model in the window, it would be an ExpII. I’m amazed at the price now, they were never all that popular in the past (in comparison with other models) - I had a couple of the black dialled version and I always liked them. I haven’t tried the new larger version but with my large wrists maybe I should
    It seemed clear at the time that they were a good looking watch and a bit of a bargain, and that it couldn’t last. Sure, there were plenty on the market but as a discontinued model it’s not an inexhaustible supply. Glad to say, for once I put my money where my mouth is and still enjoy it.

I picked up a new Explorer 2 in 2012 and paid full RRP at £4550. It was not a popular watch but still no discount as it was last of the available watches due to the newer model being launched.

I think the popularity is only due to the lack of availability of everything else. Soon the Air King 40mm will be popular!

The prices are surprising however.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I picked up a new Explorer 2 in 2012 and paid full RRP at £4550. It was not a popular watch but still no discount as it was last of the available watches due to the newer model being launched.

I think the popularity is only due to the lack of availability of everything else. Soon the Air King 40mm will be popular!

I’m pretty sure the last list price of the 16570 was £4750..

I tried a black one on alongside the then new 42mm model at £5530 IIRC and was offered it (the older one) for £4k and interest free credit!

I turned it down as it didn’t do it for me but gave since bought a 1999 polar explorer.

Ha! Agreed that the prices of some models pulls up others. Value is always subjective but the Explorer2 was going for almost the same rate as an Explorer- crazy when you consider it's extra functionality. Never fair when prices rise for collectors/ enthusiasts but an adjustment on this model was due.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The new one has good proportions and looks good in photos, but would be far too large for me. Horses for courses obviously, but for many the 40mm older version is in demand for this very reason.

It seemed clear at the time that they were a good looking watch and a bit of a bargain, and that it couldn’t last. Sure, there were plenty on the market but as a discontinued model it’s not an inexhaustible supply. Glad to say, for once I put my money where my mouth is and still enjoy it.
    This. It’s gone from somewhat underrated to somewhat overpriced - though not on its own in that category.

Explorer 2 Value Increasing

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    This. It’s gone from somewhat underrated to somewhat overpriced - though not on its own in that category.
    When you consider that the Explorer is now fetching around £6k and the GMT from £8k, £6k for an Explorer II with the same GMT movement still looks like a bit of a bargain.

Here’s mine

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    When you consider that the Explorer is now fetching around £6k and the GMT from £8k, £6k for an Explorer II with the same GMT movement still looks like a bit of a bargain.
    Completely agree and would only imagine the Explorer 2 prices will increase further if a new model is announced in April.

Master
    They have always been undervalued compared to the GMT Master. Prices have certainly increased in the last year or so and even the last few months. They may indeed go higher after April.

£6-7k for a gmt function Rolex is still pretty good compared to what all other sports Rolexes are going for now. There will come a point (soon I think) where you have to ask whether it’s worth it as a wearer rather than speculator though.

My 41mm Sub has ruined me for older Rolexes, to be honest. £6.45k at retail and another world of quality to me.

Master
    oakleighwatches has an interesting blog about what he thinks will occur to the value of the explorer 2 watches.

https://www.oakleighwatches.co.uk/th...orer-ii-16570/

I must say that I did not realise the newer version had an updated movement and did not realise this was more valuable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Ha! Agreed that the prices of some models pulls up others. Value is always subjective but the Explorer2 was going for almost the same rate as an Explorer- crazy when you consider it's extra functionality. Never fair when prices rise for collectors/ enthusiasts but an adjustment on this model was due.
    It is intriguing that 14270 Explorers are going for a similar price to 16570 Explorer IIs. Understandable as some prefer the size of the 36mm Explorer to the current model, so it’s the same situation as the Explorer II. I’ve been tempted by them myself, but when I consider whether I’d trade an Explorer II for an Explorer, the answer has to be no. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the market eventually come to reflect this.

Master
    I thought we had moved away from the endless talk about Rolex price rises. It’s pretty grim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I thought we had moved away from the endless talk about Rolex price rises. It’s pretty grim.
    It’s unrealistic to expect there to be no discussion about what’s happening in the pre-owned watch market on this forum. I appreciate that you may not find it interesting, but other threads are available, or can be started!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Completely agree and would only imagine the Explorer 2 prices will increase further if a new model is announced in April.
    Assume you're right. Happened with the 116040 / 116610 Subs last year as the new models were rolled out.

Craftsman
    Do 16550's go for a significant premium compared to a 16570?

I've seen one offered for £7.5k but unfortunately it has a service dial.

Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    Do 16550's go for a significant premium compared to a 16570?

I've seen one offered for £7.5k but unfortunately it has a service dial.
    Yes, complete ones can be seen at dealers for between £12-15k

Intersting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    Yes, complete ones can be seen at dealers for between £12-15k
    Seems like the one I've been offered is a good price even with the service dial.

Master

Got mine in around the same time (2011/12 I think) and got 13% discount just for asking. I had a GMT (bought with 15% discount the year before) as my first Rolex, but hated it so sold it here and bought the Exp II which I still wear every day. Love it! PS I didn’t particularly have any relationship with the AD, but that was a different time.

Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    Seems like the one I've been offered is a good price even with the service dial.
    Probably not, unfortunately. The majority of the extra value in a 16550 is in the dial (especially when they turn cream/ivory).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not to long ago these were an easy and relatively cheap way into rolex professional.

Looks like they are rocketing north like the seadweller

Master
    A minty 16570 Polar will be a £10,000 watch in a couple of years. Now people are chasing the Milgaus having missed the Explorer II boat.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 4th March 2021 at 13:40.

Craftsman
    The milgauss was impacted ages ago.

its a better watch then most of the rolex like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    oakleighwatches has an interesting blog about what he thinks will occur to the value of the explorer 2 watches.

https://www.oakleighwatches.co.uk/th...orer-ii-16570/

I must say that I did not realise the newer version had an updated movement and did not realise this was more valuable.
    Yes, the last versions of the 16570 had the engraved rehaut and the updated 3186 movement, but also - a bit less well-known, thinner markings around the hour marks, hence occasional dealer/seller references to the late 'thin-frame' model.

There's a pic of the later then the earlier side by side halfway down the page @

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=248803&page=2

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Probably not, unfortunately. The majority of the extra value in a 16550 is in the dial (especially when they turn cream/ivory).
    Agreed........ However, Watchfinder have a loose sevice dial one for 10.5k!!!! I known WF are expsinsive but it might be worth trying to find an an original dial for the one I've been offered.

Master
    https://ibb.co/dcFRd8N

Nice watches indeed :)

Master
    All this taking inspired me to wear this today

I can't wait to get home to mine after seeing all these posts a 1990 tritium polar.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    All this taking inspired me to wear this today
    Nice watch Marcel xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the one that sold on here for 6k was a big shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk