closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Fi Gear

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I have a lovely Arcam setup but need to find a streamer that can handle all typical files including FLAC and ideally work with Alexa. Any suggestions?
    i run an arcam irdac which just plugs into the amp , music is kept in flac (and other formats) on a netbook which runs jriver/foobar (the netbook can be put in another room completely away from the hifi , all you need to do is switch it on ).
    i keep an ipad in the same room as the hifi which has jremote and monkeymote on it - from these remotes i can access all my music on the netbook.

a bit different from a dedicated streamer but most ppl have a netbook /laptop and ipad / samsung tablet lying about these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    SME Model 30; SME Series V; Ortofon A90
    Whest MC Ref V dual mono phone stage
    Naim CDS II
    Heavily-modified Naim NAC 52
    ATC SCM150ASLT
    A guy I know sells SME gear (amongst other stuff) awesome kit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i run an arcam irdac which just plugs into the amp , music is kept in flac (and other formats) on a netbook which runs jriver/foobar (the netbook can be put in another room completely away from the hifi , all you need to do is switch it on ).
    i keep an ipad in the same room as the hifi which has jremote and monkeymote on it - from these remotes i can access all my music on the netbook.

a bit different from a dedicated streamer but most ppl have a netbook /laptop and ipad / samsung tablet lying about these days.
    That would work for me - although looks to be discontinued. Thanks for the suggestion. I have a NAS that can serve content.

Mine is far from high end, but it does me well.

For TV/Movies/Games

Mission 796 and 79c with some small Mordaunt-Short Premier for the rear.

Sony dn1050 AV Receiver

BK Electronics Gemini II sub

QED cables all round

For music;

I switch the 796 over to a Marantz KI Pearl Lite amp.

Music is supplied via a Blue Sound Node II which is ace.

Music is either from a NAS or streamed from Qobuz.

In the dining room I have 2 Blue Sound Pulse Flex 2i paired in sterio. The Blue Sound are an excellent, great sounding alternative to Sonos. To me they sound significantly better.

THREAD HIGHJACK......

I'm currently signed up to the 90 day trial of Amazon Music Unlimited HD. Annoyingly Amazon has chosen badge HD and UHD rather than Hi-Res. I love what Qobuz has to offer, but at £25 a month, Amazon is very tempting at £13! If it sounds as good I could very well switch permanently.

Has anyone given the service a decent run/test yet? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post

For TV/Movies/Games

Sony dn1050 AV Receiver

QED cables all round

For music;

In the dining room I have 2 Blue Sound Pulse Flex 2i paired in sterio. The Blue Sound are an excellent, great sounding alternative to Sonos. To me they sound significantly better.

THREAD HIGHJACK......

I'm currently signed up to the 90 day trial of Amazon Music Unlimited HD. Annoyingly Amazon has chosen badge HD and UHD rather than Hi-Res. I love what Qobuz has to offer, but at £25 a month, Amazon is very tempting at £13! If it sounds as good I could very well switch permanently.

I was recently thinking about the blue sound node. How are they compared to the sonos play 5

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Was into it big time for several years but haven’t bought anything for ages after finally realising the law of diminishing returns is a very slippery and expensive slope to go down. Plus, there is a lot of snake oil pedalled in the industry. My final system consists of 30 year old Rega Planar 3 (modded) Naim CDS3 with 555PS olive NAP 135s upgraded by Avondale olive 52 NAC & supercap. All pumping into Shahinian Obelisks. Sounds great to me even though now well outdated wrt to sources.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Feeling the OCD starting to come back.....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I use Audirvana to play hi-res files through a Schiit Modi DAC to a Schiit Magni headphone amp, and listen on Oppo PM3s. A very satisfying, detailed setup.

My portable pair are an A&K Jr and a B&O H6, also playing hi-res files usually. Also sounds pretty good!
    Have you seen the Campfire Audio Andromeda iem's I was looking to get a pair for when I'm mobile. When I am around the house I use my ibasso dx220 paired with some Focal Elegia over ear headphones.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Journeyman

For TV/Movies/Games

Sony dn1050 AV Receiver

QED cables all round

For music;

THREAD HIGHJACK......

I use Tidal masters for MQA and Flac. In my car I use Deezer as its built into my M3. I also have local flac's running from my synology via Plex server.

I haven't tried Amazon unlimited, do they have any 24bit 192khz tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by paul.woolrich View Post
    Have you seen the Campfire Audio Andromeda iem's I was looking to get a pair for when I'm mobile.
    I don't get on with IEMs. When out and about I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentums and a Shanling M0. Fantastic headphones. I remember demoing the Sennheisers alongside the Sony and Bose equivalents, and the Sennheisers actually put a smile on my face. :) Left the others for dust, so to speak.

I have just paid about a fiver for a pair of Venture Electronics VE Monk Plus Earbuds. Ridiculously good sounding for the money, and about as 'in-ear' as I can put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I was recently thinking about the blue sound node. How are they compared to the sonos play 5

Much better as far as I'm concerned. Of all of the Blue Sound products compared to their Sonos counterparts the Blue Sound sound so much better.

Their app may not be as good as Sonos, but it works, works well, and easily integrates with Qobuz and Tidal. I've not tried other subscription services as they don't offer Hi-Res. Of course that now includes Amazon, but I've only just starting using that.

Craftsman

For TV/Movies/Games

Sony dn1050 AV Receiver

QED cables all round

For music;

THREAD HIGHJACK......

Get a 30 day trial on TIDAL. I guarantee you won’t go back.

I use Tidal masters for MQA and Flac. In my car I use Deezer as its built into my M3. I also have local flac's running from my synology via Plex server.

I haven't tried Amazon unlimited, do they have any 24bit 192khz tracks?

They do, albeit the only album in 192khz I've found so far is from Norah Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Get a 30 day trial on TIDAL. I guarantee you won’t go back.
    I have tried Tidal. To me the sound quality was ever so slightly better, but not material. The issue I had with Tidal was the constant pushing of Rap and Hip-hop. I guess being owned by Jay-Z that's what you're going to get.

I like rap, but I also like dance, rock and classical music. Qobuz I find caters to a more varied taste in music and fairly/equally promotes good music from across all genres.

Journeyman
    My gear has been relegated to the cupboard under the stairs and my BK 12" sub is for sale on EBay at the mo, due to new baby. I have

Cyrus CD7q
    Sugden A21a
    Sugden A21p
    PMC FB1s
    Isotek cleanline mains conditioner
    Atacama rack
    Can't remember what cables/leads but decent for the set up

One day I'll have it all set up again!

Craftsman
    I have tried Tidal. To me the sound quality was ever so slightly better, but not material. The issue I had with Tidal was the constant pushing of Rap and Hip-hop. I guess being owned by Jay-Z that's what you're going to get.

I like rap, but I also like dance, rock and classical music. Qobuz I find caters to a more varied taste in music and fairly/equally promotes good music from across all genres.
    This was the same for me, I joined when it first came out and couldn’t find about 80% of my Spotify artist list.

I returned last year and since then haven’t not found an album I needed so have stuck with it and sacked off Spotify. The UI has also improved massively.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    This was the same for me, I joined when it first came out and couldn’t find about 80% of my Spotify artist list.

I returned last year and since then haven’t not found an album I needed so have stuck with it and sacked off Spotify. The UI has also improved massively.
    Also you need to use it a bit for the AI to kick in and recognise what type of music you like. Then the recommendations you don't want start to go away.

Much better as far as I'm concerned. Of all of the Blue Sound products compared to their Sonos counterparts the Blue Sound sound so much better.

Their app may not be as good as Sonos, but it works, works well, and easily integrates with Qobuz and Tidal. I've not tried other subscription services as they don't offer Hi-Res. Of course that now includes Amazon, but I've only just starting using that.
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Master
    I have a lovely Arcam setup but need to find a streamer that can handle all typical files including FLAC and ideally work with Alexa. Any suggestions?
    I'm looking at changing my Cambridge Audio NP30 streamer to the later CA CXN V2 does everything you list apart from the alexa stuff directly although it does support spotify connect so if you use that service you may be able to control spotify via alexa with the ouptut set as the CA device.

The other option is one of amazons own devices echo link in conjunction with the Cambridge audio may do everything you want.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I'm looking at changing my Cambridge Audio NP30 streamer to the later CA CXN V2 does everything you list apart from the alexa stuff directly although it does support spotify connect so if you use that service you may be able to control spotify via alexa with the ouptut set as the CA device.

The other option is one of amazons own devices echo link in conjunction with the Cambridge audio may do everything you want.
    Thanks. I've looked at the CXN V2 and it is very well reviewed. It feels to me rather expensive for what it does - I guess that's the world of Hifi!

Master
    Thanks. I've looked at the CXN V2 and it is very well reviewed. It feels to me rather expensive for what it does - I guess that's the world of Hifi!
    There are cheaper streamers available on amazon, I received one as an xmas present last year but after 15 minutes of playback it would introduce random clicks and pops into the music and had to go back. The other option might be a cheap pc / tablet / Rasberry Pi and a usb dac or digital output converter but then you are wholly responsible for support and life is too short (for me anyway).

Master
    Mine is fairly old now, but still sounds OK to my aging ears

Revolver deck with Linn arm
    NAD 3020 ( using preamp stage only )
    2 Cyrus smartpower amps
    Quad 23L speakers

All sourced 2nd hand for not a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

Anyway mentioned by me above, the Blue Sound Node II is worth a look. It's £500, not cheap, but cheaper than the Cambridge Audio. It does look with almost all streaming services and had Alexa functionality, albeit I'm not sure exactly how much you can control it with Alexa.

Journeyman
    Anyway mentioned by me above, the Blue Sound Node II is worth a look. It's £500, not cheap, but cheaper than the Cambridge Audio. It does look with almost all streaming services and had Alexa functionality, albeit I'm not sure exactly how much you can control it with Alexa.
    I have the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and have to say I've been super impressed with it. I would say the only down side is the mobile app. You can however just use chromecast. It would be nice if they offered MQA support also.

Overall the build quality is really good and it sounds fantastic.

I have the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and have to say I've been super impressed with it. I would say the only down side is the mobile app. You can however just use chromecast. It would be nice if they offered MQA support also.

Overall the build quality is really good and it sounds fantastic.

I'm sure it does, and it was second on my short list. Herein lies the issue with modern hi-fi and modern sources of music. It's no longer just down to sound (and build) quality; consideration is also given to app and music format support. The best sounding can be rendered useless if the app won't work!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure it does, and it was second on my short list. Herein lies the issue with modern hi-fi and modern sources of music. It's no longer just down to sound (and build) quality; consideration is also given to app and music format support. The best sounding can be rendered useless if the app won't work!
    Which is why analogue will always prevail. I love music. My interest in digital derived sound and app compatibility is less than zero.

Journeyman
    I use my CXN & ibasso dx220 dap to discover new music via Tidal. Once I find an album I like I always then go and get it on 180gram vinyl. You can't beat that analogue sound, for me the only format the beats vinyl is SACD but that never took off.

Master
    I let my wife see some of the pictures........... she’s destroyed my credit card, just in case upgradeitus takes hold. Bitch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I let my wife see some of the pictures........... she’s destroyed my credit card, just in case upgradeitus takes hold. Bitch.
    Lol - my wife gave up years ago she knows I'm a lost cause. I convinced her that my watch collecting hobby is one of the less crazy hobbies I have.

Craftsman
    I have the CXN (v1) and it’s probably the only bit of kit I wouldn’t replace.

I use it with TIDAL but the only issue is you need to use the CA Connect app which could be better. I also stream to a Google Chromecast audio (direct from TIDAL) but obviously don’t get album artwork.

I have it running to a an Arcam AVR390 in stereo to a pair of B&W CM6S2’s. Sounds fantastic at low and high volumes.

I have 2 Cyrus 8 powers, Cyrus pre amp and Cyrus CD player with all the stupidly expensive cables .

I did have Spendor SA1 but sold off a couple of years back.

Use Dali Lektor 1 now, I love Dali speakers - they are epic for dance music

Journeyman
    I have Dali speakers and couldn't agree more.

I have Dali speakers and couldn't agree more.

The Lektor 1 are a really good size for small rooms / bedrooms.

I had bigger speakers in the past but you need space or they don't work well in my experience

Craftsman
    I've been into hifi for decades but stopped for about 15 years when the kids came. Got more time now so back to it.

My system consists of:
    Rega Apollo CD player
    Sonos Connect
    Musical Fidelity X10-D valve line level preamp (occasional use only)
    Linn Kolektor Pre-amp
    2x Cyrus Smartpower Power amps in monobloc configuration
    Linn Majik 109 Speakers
    Cambridge Audio Aero 9 Subwoofer
    VDH/Chord interconnects and speaker cables

The most significant and surprising upgrade was the addition of a subwoofer. Never tried it in a standard stereo set-up but so glad I did. The Linn Majik 109s have stunning mids and highs but not enough on the low-end mainly due to its size. After a few weeks of slowly tweaking the crossover and volume on the sub it is now in perfect harmony with the speakers. You wouldn't know it was working but the sound is now fuller, deeper and just richer. Highly recommended if you're thinking of getting one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andytyc View Post
    I've been into hifi for decades but stopped for about 15 years when the kids came. Got more time now so back to it.

My system consists of:
    Rega Apollo CD player
    Sonos Connect
    Musical Fidelity X10-D valve line level preamp (occasional use only)
    Linn Kolektor Pre-amp
    2x Cyrus Smartpower Power amps in monobloc configuration
    Linn Majik 109 Speakers
    Cambridge Audio Aero 9 Subwoofer
    VDH/Chord interconnects and speaker cables

The most significant and surprising upgrade was the addition of a subwoofer. Never tried it in a standard stereo set-up but so glad I did. The Linn Majik 109s have stunning mids and highs but not enough on the low-end mainly due to its size. After a few weeks of slowly tweaking the crossover and volume on the sub it is now in perfect harmony with the speakers. You wouldn't know it was working but the sound is now fuller, deeper and just richer. Highly recommended if you're thinking of getting one.
    I completely agree adding a sub to a hi fi system can really make a big difference.

now my kitchen/painting/flooring is finished it was time to sort my hi-fi out. looks like my Rega P3 needs a new bearing or a least a re-lube of the housing (if you are buying a pot of oil you might as well get a fancy ruby or ceramic ball while you are at it.

after playing a a few sides it started to slow right down which i thought was a belt slipping but belt is brand new so google tells me the bearing is dry. however i feel i want to upgrade my amplification from a naim NAC92/NAP90/3 to something with streaming/DAB. i have a Musical fidelity Vdac but end up putting the laptop next to it to listen to digital which isn’t ideal.
    thinking of a S/h naim Uniti? anyone have one?
    anyone interested in my pre-power set-up? it has MC ‘k’ phono board fitted.

Amp - NAD
    TTable - Rega P2
    Streamer - Yamaha
    CD - Pioneer (rarely used now)
    Speakers - Monitor Audio floorstanders

Recently purchased a set of bookshelf Cambridge Audio speakers and I love them. Floorstanders were getting in everyones way.

Master
    ProAc have just released a new version of my speakers with a ribbon tweeter, and I got notice of a nice income tax rebate, going to demo the new style soon, if it's a goer I'm not telling SWMBO, I don't think she'll notice.

Quote Originally Posted by andytyc View Post
    I use the diminutive REL T Zero sub (100w Class D) with my KEF LS50's. Once set up correctly it also enhances the mid range a little. It's a very tuneful bass which will improve any quality speaker.

For my many sins, I used to run a modest dealership (succumbed to a mix of my utter incompetence and our nation's current convulsion of Europe-related insanity), still have a houseful of assorted bits and bobs (chiefly obscure vacuum tube based stuff), including a pretty enjoyable main system -

Changed slightly since, not least 'cos it's been buried under dust sheets for weeks while we build a huge new built-in vinyl rack...

What’s the TT?

very nice system, looks like you are using a puresound a30 amp ?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    What’s the TT?
    Pro-ject Xtension 10 with the original carbon arm (very underrated), and Hana SL. I'd like an ML, as the SL only went on to give the Cadenza Black a rest. People think Pro-ject only make toytown decks, but the Xtension replaced a Palmer (defunct) costing 3 times as much...

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    very nice system, looks like you are using a puresound a30 amp ?
    Thanks. I love it. That is an A30, which I tweaked somewhat with metal film resistors, some decent caps, and a decent grounding schematic to drop the noise floor since it's no longer a demonstrator. That's out at the mo and I'm using a Puresound L10 pre with Pro-ject Amp-box Mono hybrid switchmode/valve monoblocs - yet another underrated product from Pro-ject.

The business might have failed but it's left me with some nice toys at least.

Master
    Quite a simple little system nowadays, I was a Naim and Quad ESL pervert years ago.

The Yamaha amp is an incredible performer for £300ish.

Trying not to get the upgrade bug with the SL12, keeping it simple and cost effective.

Last edited by pembers; 10th November 2019 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Pro-ject Xtension 10 with the original carbon arm (very underrated), and Hana SL. I'd like an ML, as the SL only went on to give the Cadenza Black a rest. People think Pro-ject only make toytown decks, but the Xtension replaced a Palmer (defunct) costing 3 times as much...
    It’s years since I went into a hifi shop but yesterday paid a visit to ask about upgrading and they had some pro-ject decks on display, didn’t listen but they certainly looked the part. I remember the ‘debut’ from years back and they have obviously moved on since then!

Hana is a new name in carts (to me) I’ll have to investigate when my deck gets serviced and the sumiko blue point special gets retired.

Master
    Hey Pembers, nice clock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Hey Pembers, nice clock.
    Haha - I wondered if anyone would see it!

Master
    Pic of my computer system,

Sonus Faber 'Toy' Speakers
    Quad Vena amp which has a digital input to link to the iMac.

Mega little system I use for close monitoring when I do the odd bit of recording.

Master
    My main system comprises of:

Arcam FMJ A28
    FMJ P38
    FMJ CD37
    B&W CM9s
    Black rhodium mains/atlas cabling, mains conditioner.

Keep thinking about tweaking it a little since we've move house - fancy a set of B&W 805d or maybe 804d and upgrading the A28.

Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    The Yamaha amp is an incredible performer for £300ish.
    Yamaha kit is perpetually underrated, their industrial design alone beats stuff at 10x the price. Nice Electras, too. Sweet spot in Focal's ranges a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    It’s years since I went into a hifi shop but yesterday paid a visit to ask about upgrading and they had some pro-ject decks on display, didn’t listen but they certainly looked the part. I remember the ‘debut’ from years back and they have obviously moved on since then!

Hana is a new name in carts (to me) I’ll have to investigate when my deck gets serviced and the sumiko blue point special gets retired.
    Pro-ject outperform their pricetags, but lack snob cachet / brag factor.

Hana are the house-brand of a Japanese company that manufactures the premium end of certain cartridge ranges for a number of big names. Small but very cost-effective range.

If you have any issues sourcing, give me a shout.