closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car tyre life ?

Craftsman

Car tyre life ?

Anyone have an idea of the " average " life of a car tyre ?
    30,000 miles / 3 years ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a bit like asking how old will somebody live to?

There is a lot of variables. Do you have a particular context?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Anyone have an idea of the " average " life of a car tyre ?
    30,000 miles / 3 years ?
    It all depends on the tyre and type of driving I guess.

My daughter has a corsa...........she always seems to be buying tyres.....(well I say "she"....but its the bank of dad that pays!).

I have a diesel 3 series B.M.W......I buy mid range tyres, they last about 20K

Master
    Different cars, different tyres, different drivers etc.
    The wife's old ford cougar would in fronts in around 8k, I used to work in a tyre related industry and we often saw vectras dragging rears to 90k miles plus.

Master
    I believe it's generally measured in the trade proportionally using the 'length of a piece of string' scale - just half it

Craftsman
    Dragging rears to 90k plus ?
    Wow

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I believe it's generally measured in the trade proportionally using the 'length of a piece of string' scale - just half it
    Brilliant answer and about right, so many variables.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Totally dependent on driving style and usage I'm afraid. Although there are ratings on tyre for relative treadwear. None of the manufacturers guarantee mileage but only against faulty manufacture/materials.
    It will say something like -Treadwear 180 Traction A Temperature B .
    Explanation here but it's a relative grading.
    https://takemebeyondthehorizon.wordp...eadwear-grade/

Met a 75yr-old at Quickfit who was getting the original tyres renewed on his 15yr-old Toyota...........

I think the new set would probably see him out.

Craftsman
    When I took my 125 to get the rears replaced after 11000 miles. I was moaning to the guy behind the desk, his reply....

" yea they eat rear tyres those", they never mentioned that in the brochure..

I’ve managed to scrub my front tyres within 5000 miles so as said above it all depends on the Tyre, the car, the driver and the type of driving.

90,000 miles off a set of Goodrich All Terrain on my 1996 Defender. Only changed them because of sidewall crazing, not lack of tread 🚙

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    When I took my 125 to get the rears replaced after 11000 miles. I was moaning to the guy behind the desk, his reply....

" yea they eat rear tyres those", they never mentioned that in the brochure..
    If it is the 125d, it is a torquey engine which is the tyre killer but mine is at over 10k miles with very little wear on the S001s, 1-2mm gone I would estimate. My E90 320d ate a set of Michelin rears in 14k miles

Master
    One of my cars had the original tyres on at 35K and had to be replaced due to cracking, not wear! OAP driving!

Journeyman
    A lot of factors affect the life of tyres. Car setup up, driving style, weather conditions, road conditions, tyre brand, tyre compound, tyre pressure.... The list goes on. The key factors that the driver can directly influence are the driving style and the tyre pressure.

I've had from 20k up to 40k miles. The front set on my wife's car recently only lasted 5k due to wheel alignment issues.

When I had a company car I used to get 10-15k from a set, Inget about 20k now I have my own car and have to pay for them myself !
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    we often saw vectras dragging rears to 90k miles plus.
    Did the rears ever touch the ground?

Other than one puncture in April last year I've never bought tyres.

Does that mean I drive like an old man?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Other than one puncture in April last year I've never bought tyres.

Does that mean I drive like an old man?
    Could mean you change cars too often. I have a friend who rarely services his cars, he changes every 6 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by billlo View Post
    Could mean you change cars too often. I have a friend who rarely services his cars, he changes every 6 months or so.
    Brand new one every three years with 30-36k on the clock.

Master
    3 years from date of manufacture.

Or until they are visibly at the limit.

Whichever comes first.

Rob.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I think I wrote on here last year about the fronts on my old F30 320d - they lasted 83k if I remember correctly. Even the rears lasted over 40k.

In contrast I used to run sticky Yokohamas on a modified golf - was lucky with 5k miles out of those. The contrast is really remarkable given the driver was the same - maybe I grew up a little between the two...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Brand new one every three years with 30-36k on the clock.
    That explains it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    I think I wrote on here last year about the fronts on my old F30 320d - they lasted 83k if I remember correctly. Even the rears lasted over 40k.
    Impressive figures there. Did the tyres outlast the brake pads?

My Volvo XC60 seems to eat them. First set lasted 15,000 miles. Second set have done 13,000 and fronts are borderline already. Heavy car I guess and we live rural so the roads are rough and potholed. Tyres on our other car, a Mini Cooper S, seem to last ages, I’d say 25-30,000 miles.

Craftsman
    I get 15,000 - 20,000 miles with Barums on an A4 Avant of mixed driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    3 years from date of manufacture.

Or until they are visibly at the limit.

Whichever comes first.

Rob.
    This is what I was thinking. Don't all tyres now have to include a date stamp so you can work it out?

I wouldn't be happy running the same tyres for more than 3 years, even if the tread was good. It's not worth the risk IMO. You wouldn't skip an oil change for 3 years because you only did 5,000 miles a year, would you?

I've done a set or rears on the Noble in an afternoon, whearas the tyres on my current BMW should just make 20k, so somewhere between them

Definitely depends on driving style etc. If you're worried, you prolly need to buy some. And don't go cheap: these things do your steering and braking when all's said and done :)

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    This is what I was thinking. Don't all tyres now have to include a date stamp so you can work it out?

I wouldn't be happy running the same tyres for more than 3 years, even if the tread was good. It's not worth the risk IMO. You wouldn't skip an oil change for 3 years because you only did 5,000 miles a year, would you?
    I don't understand either of these, if the tyre is in good condition why would you change it, my rears are £500+each and only do about 1-2000 miles a year, they do have Kevlar side walls.

Surely with modern synthetic oils the annual change is unnecessary, the only fluids to degrade with time are coolant and brake/clutch fluid

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I don't understand either of these, if the tyre is in good condition why would you change it, my rears are £500+each and only do about 1-2000 miles a year, they do have Kevlar side walls.

Surely with modern synthetic oils the annual change is unnecessary, the only fluids to degrade with time are coolant and brake/clutch fluid
    Sadly, if you were involved in an accident and the tyres were 'out of date' hen the liability may shift in your direction.

Rubber ages and hardens over time.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

What brand/size?

If you have had them for a few years then they will be cheaper now due to the usage/market for larger diameter performance tyres.

Some manufactures have 2 year intervals but a lot still recommend yearly oil changes which is imo a good thing. My car was 2 years old when it got its first oil change, if it were mine it would have been done at a year however seeing as its leased I'm sticking to the recommendations from the makers. If we're talking modern Diesel engines with dpf then it's even more important to change the oil regularly synthetic or not

A family member just got a Porsche with 21” wheels, I shudder to think how much they will cost to replace and I bet they don’t last long either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sadly, if you were involved in an accident and the tyres were 'out of date' hen the liability may shift in your direction.

Rubber ages and hardens over time.
    Not sure there are any hard and fast rules on this TBH. Unless the tyres are obviously degraded - i.e. cracked, split etc. it would be difficult to find them "out of date".

Some cars, especially some 4x4s can have tyres last for ages. My Landcruiser has a set that is 6 years old, with 60k miles and they are barely 1/2 worn (they did start with 12mm of tread though!) The rubber is nice and supple too with no cracking etc.

sent from TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by vagabond; 30th September 2017 at 22:23.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by billlo View Post
    Impressive figures there. Did the tyres outlast the brake pads?
    Yes, and the clutch!

What brand/size?

If you have had them for a few years then they will be cheaper now due to the usage/market for larger diameter performance tyres.
    95 is the oldest tyres ive seen on a car, that was on an early golf owned by an elderly woman. Apart from some odd cracks they were still visibly ok. If it went for an MOT it would most likely pass, it's what you can't see would worry me.

What brand/size?

Pirelli Trofeo R 295 30 18, only available from motorsport dealers

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Some manufactures have 2 year intervals but a lot still recommend yearly oil changes which is imo a good thing. My car was 2 years old when it got its first oil change, if it were mine it would have been done at a year however seeing as its leased I'm sticking to the recommendations from the makers. If we're talking modern Diesel engines with dpf then it's even more important to change the oil regularly synthetic or not
    FFF! A genuine question - whats the link between modern DPF's and a regular oil change ??
    I'm thinking the DPF is emission based so way after the oil based element. If you're DPF is gonna f*** up due to less frequent oil changes, there's surely a badly damaged engine at play ?
    Can you explain ? Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    FFF! A genuine question - whats the link between modern DPF's and a regular oil change ??
    I'm thinking the DPF is emission based so way after the oil based element. If you're DPF is gonna f*** up due to less frequent oil changes, there's surely a badly damaged engine at play ?
    Can you explain ? Ta.
    Dpf's regenerate by injecting fuel in to them, a couple of ways either directly in to the dpf or by overfueling the engine. When the engine overfuels the oil can become diluted and loses it ability to lubricate efficiently.

Pirelli Trofeo R 295 30 18, only available from motorsport dealers
    Just over £330 with VAT from Demon Tweeks so should be available cheaper elsewhere.

Any decent tyre outlet will be able to order them.

Just over £330 with VAT from Demon Tweeks so should be available cheaper elsewhere.

Any decent tyre outlet will be able to order them.
    Trouble is the only people who ever have them in stock is Silverline and they charge a premium

Just checked Tweeks don't have them in stock
    Last edited by adrianw; 30th September 2017 at 22:49.

Trouble is the only people who ever have them in stock is Silverline and they charge a premium
    Order them up front - my local tyre guy assures me he can get most stuff in a couple of days and has accounts with all of the manufacturers?.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Dpf's regenerate by injecting fuel in to them, a couple of ways either directly in to the dpf or by overfueling the engine. When the engine overfuels the oil can become diluted and loses it ability to lubricate efficiently.
    Thanks, I appreciate the answer. Education is a wonderful thing.

Master
    On the outside of the tyre is a "sentence" starting with the letters DOT. At the end is a rectangular box shaped moulding containing space for four numbers. The first two numbers are the week of the year and the second two numbers are the year. this tells you when the tyre was manufactured.

for example 0315. 03 is the third week of the year and 15 is the year 2015.

I think I read that six years might be the recommended life of a tyre

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    On the outside of the tyre is a "sentence" starting with the letters DOT. At the end is a rectangular box shaped moulding containing space for four numbers. The first two numbers are the week of the year and the second two numbers are the year. this tells you when the tyre was manufactured.

for example 0315. 03 is the third week of the year and 15 is the year 2015.

I think I read that six years might be the recommended life of a tyre
    I too think that the guidance usually stated is 6 years, but IME a tyre can last a lot longer if not exposed to UV, not allowed to flat spot or run at very low pressures leading to cracking of the side walls etc, etc.

If anyone has something to support the 3 years life mentioned a couple of times above, I would be very interested to see it as that sounds ridiculously short IMO.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I too think that the guidance usually stated is 6 years, but IME a tyre can last a lot longer if not exposed to UV, not allowed to flat spot or run at very low pressures leading to cracking of the side walls etc, etc.

If anyone has something to support the 3 years life mentioned a couple of times above, I would be very interested to see it as that sounds ridiculously short IMO.
    The British Tyre Council recommend changing tyres at between five to seven years old as far as I'm aware.

Master
    Got a BMW e46 318ci, with 330i MV Spokes, tyres last approx 2 years

Master
    I was only getting 6000 miles out of a set of fronts on my Range Rover, which I thought was pretty bad.
    Mind you, I only get 60 miles (on a good day) out of a set of fronts on my rally car.....