closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Feel for you ....would drive my OCD. into overdrive

If i were in your shoes I think I would drop it into AD and ask them to send to Rolex ...looking at it I think they will be able to rectify to a more than acceptable standard.....

Then shove in safe or wear a squash band over it 

Craftsman
    I’d be annoyed for at least a minute maybe two at most.

In a few days you’ll have forgotten all about it man.

Master
    I'd live with it after a day or so but sympathise all the same. It's stuff like this that makes wear my Damasko day to day as I suspect that would have survived unscathed.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 18th October 2020 at 18:37.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    That is painful. Rolex tend to use quite a soft stainless steel alloy, judging from how easy they are to refinish.
    *I have a colleague who does laser welding which may reduce the damage, it would cost around £100.00.
    A customer once brought a Favre Leuba into my shop, back in the 70s. The glass was smashed, the dial badly dented and the movement crushed. He had been serving in Northern Ireland and his watch had been hit by a stray bullet. I guess he was lucky.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 18th October 2020 at 09:05.

Ouch. The first cut is the deepest. At least you no longer have to worry about when you’ll fist scuff or damage it.
    I’d look at it like this, if you’re planning to keep the watch then do your best to shrug it off. If I got my hands on a 30 or 40 year old Rolex and it had similar damage (and more) I would say it gives the watch it’s character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I dropped a brand new Rolex CHNR (Rootbeer) on my tiled floor when adjusting the bracelet a couple of years ago
    Big ding on the side and creased the bottom of the side too
    Only guy that would touch it was Rocco who brought it back good as new with laser welding
    Rolex won’t laser weld unfortunately (as far as I am aware anyhow).
    I'd be contacting Rocco @ Watchworks as well if you ever want to get it repaired.

Don’t Rolex still chamfer the edges of the case at service? Would probably take most of that off imho

Journeyman
    Others have said it before, unless you’re looking to flip the thing quickly then don’t worry too much about it. There are fifty year old Subs with horrendous dings going for three times the price of yours! It’s made to be worn so enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Accidental damage in your house insurance will cover it if your items are covered
    Worth adding if not for the future

My B1 rebuilt on my insurance which went up a whole £36 the following year....

Master
    My daughter accidentally dropped her Rolex on kitchen floor and it broke the Crystal. It was covered on the house insurance as an in house accident.

Rolex said it must be serviced in addition to new glass so around. £1250. Maybe worth checking.

Now then... accidental damage on your insurance!! I never would have thought of that!

As said, I’m keeping and wearing it so do not expect this to be the last ding it gets - but that is a very interesting thing on the insurance front for perhaps a more serious duffing (Gods forbid it should ever happen)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Now then... accidental damage on your insurance!! I never would have thought of that!

As said, I’m keeping and wearing it so do not expect this to be the last ding it gets - but that is a very interesting thing on the insurance front for perhaps a more serious duffing (Gods forbid it should ever happen)

It's not worth the claim on your insurance
    Would be a couple of hundred to fix so by the time you pay an excess and the ramping up of your next insurance quote there is no benefit.

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    It's not worth the claim on your insurance
    Would be a couple of hundred to fix so by the time you pay an excess and the ramping up of your next insurance quote there is no benefit.
    Yeh, agreed - think my excess is a couple of hundred, and no intention to do anything with this, but for future ref, if I drop it on the bathroom tiles or whatever and I do real service-requiring damage

PS - would never have happened if someone had sold me a 116600 ;)

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 18th October 2020 at 18:37.

Isn't it 'wear and tear' anyway?

I will go against opinion here. That would would annoy me very much and would be looking to get it laser welded as soon as possible. It would be worth getting a couple of quotes. May not be as expensive as suggested. Good luck.

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

I guess I look at things differently now. I used to be very protective about any new watch purchase. Now, I accept that if you wear them in the way they are intended they will pick up dings and scratches, it’s inevitable. It’s part of the watch’’s story.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Blackhawk; 18th October 2020 at 22:27.

Ignore home insurance, this is why I asked if you paid on credit card. I'm covered up to £2.5k for the first 90 days for loss and damage. Standard Amex protection I think so best to call your card issuer if you paid on credit.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    relatable

S

Great article....at the end of the day it CAN be sorted if you ever wish ...

http://www.bobinchak.com/watchmaking...-laser-welding

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ignore home insurance, this is why I asked if you paid on credit card. I'm covered up to £2.5k for the first 90 days for loss and damage. Standard Amex protection I think so best to call your card issuer if you paid on credit.
    Oh really never heard of this! Is on gold/platinum ones or any of their cards? I should read the t&c!

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Oh really never heard of this! Is on gold/platinum ones or any of their cards? I should read the t&c!
    I have the cashback card and it's on that. I used to have the platinum charge card and that has extra protections but never used the perks so downgraded.

You could give Amex a quick call to double check what's available on your card. I haven't claimed before but got half way to claiming. I thought I scratched the sapphire on a new watch but it was something that came off with hot water in the end. You call Amex who tell you to call the company (I can't remember the name) who tell you to go on their website and register a claim.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/s...se-protection/

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Doorframe jumped out at me!!

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

Doorframe jumped out at me!!
    Oof!
    Don’t sweat it - all the cool kids wear dinged up Rolex!

It's a well known fact that every material on the planet that you knock against will be harder than Rolex steel.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

reminds me of this

Apprentice
    Years ago i knocked my deepsea with a similar dent, however I took it to Rokex in Mayfair and the watch maker was able to polish it out for me with minimal metal shaved off the casing. So close that you really couldn't see the difference unless you took a magnifying glass to it and measured it. But to the untrained eye it looked perfect, maybe just take it to Rolex if it bothers you that much as it did me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t think I would bother either it will just get another pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app