closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on selling etiquette

Craftsman

Advice on selling etiquette

Hey folks,

Just wanted a bit of advice on selling from my experienced Tzers.

I just sold my SBGK005 GS. I am not a gouger so I put up the posting hoping someone would enjoy the watch as much as I had and put it on for a forum friendly price rather than the maximum I could possibly get. I hoped the watch would sell quickly.

I didn't realise what would happen beforehand, but my inbox exploded as had so many PMs.

So my question is - I had a few low balls which I replied to saying you have offered x but how about x + 100.

Does this mean if someone then offers asking up from that I'm tied into the first discussion? I hadn't really thought about it till now, and my view was the first offer of asking gets the watch.... interested to hear your thoughts on etiquette here as I didn't mean to upset anyone. I try my best to avoid doing so.

Cheers

Greg

You sell to who you want to. And there is nothing wrong for accepting the asking price even if you started to negotiate earlier with someone else.

My own view would be slightly different if someone had offered more than your asking but even then, only if the offer came after you accepted at the asking.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

No you sell to whoever you want and if you had a low ball offer on that then the offerer needs to take a long hard look at themselves as IMHO you underpriced that by around £1.7k and someone could flip that on ebay for a tidy profit easily. So do your due diligence and sell to who you want is what I'd say and I speak from recent bitter experience

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    No you sell to whoever you want and if you had a low ball offer on that then the offerer needs to take a long hard look at themselves as IMHO you underpriced that by around £1.7k and someone could flip that on ebay for a tidy profit easily. So do your due diligence and sell to who you want is what I'd say and I speak from recent bitter experience
    Thank you buddy. You know I'm a good guy and try to do the right thing by the forum. Just wanted to get a bit of feedback as everyone sees things different. Thank you Ryan!

Not quite sure what you mean but if I had offered a price I would see myself as committed to selling at that price (For example, watch is selling for £300 and buyer asks if I will accept £200, I decline and say £250 is ok. I see myself as bound to that price if the buyer comes back and agrees even if someone later wants at full price)

That being said, in the same example someone negotiates then disappears for days (Usually hoping you will break and take his low ball offer). I don’t feel myself to be under any obligation to him, basically he’s just playing a game so it’s his loss.

I didn’t know the background of the watch in question when I posted my reply. If that is indeed the case someone is taking the you know what.....

Imagine offering something like that for such a low price and people somehow having the balls to low ball you.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean but if I had offered a price I would see myself as committed to selling at that price (For example, watch is selling for £300 and buyer asks if I will accept £200, I decline and say £250 is ok. I see myself as bound to that price if the buyer comes back and agrees even if someone later wants at full price)
    I don't agree. If you were buying anything below asking price and while negotiating someone else comes in and offers full price tough luck. First to offer the asking price gets it unless a deal has already been agreed in which case we should all honour our word.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would say asking price gets it.

Still can't believe someone offered you less!

As Ryan said, was already a great price.

It is not respectful to low ball. I would totally ignore low ballers and refuse to deal with them ever again.

Master
    I’ve had a few experiences like this.

Low-balling I will always reply to, remaining polite but saying no thanks.

Near-offers I will entertain, and if I accepted an offer, would put the watch on-hold (marking the sales post accordingly) and give the buyer a reasonable time to pay.

If I had a better offer before being paid, I would only entertain taking it if the original buyer was unreasonably slow or backed-out. It would seem against the spirit of the place to back-out of an agreement I’d previously made in good faith.

The important part is “buy the buyer”. Having lost a watch (and several hundred £’s) to an unscrupulous account, I will be much more careful in future unless it’s a sale to a well known member.

Once bitten etc.

I'd say if you said "how about x+100" you should be committed to that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don't agree. If you were buying anything below asking price and while negotiating someone else comes in and offers full price tough luck. First to offer the asking price gets it unless a deal has already been agreed in which case we should all honour our word.
    That is just another way of stating what you've quoted. Buyer accepting the offer being the key point in both posts.

Grand Master
    I don’t sell frequently, but my rule is simple; first guy who offers asking price or very close gets it. If someone offers too low, then another guys offers better, the second guy gets it and the first one should’ve offered more initially. I believe in pricing watches at the price I want, some try to ask an unrealistic figure and start coming down when it doesn’t sell, I don’t do that.

As for lowballers, I don’t reply to them, I ignore them. If someone wants the watch they’ll pay fair money, but lowballers only want to buy if they can get something cheap. If an offer is reasonable I’ll communicate and try to reach agreement but if someone comes in with a much better offer I would take it.

If I offer significantly below asking price on an old watch I’ll generally explain why I think the watch is worth less.

General standards of SC etiquette have nosedived on here over the last couple of years, far too many negative comments on sales threads plus the customary bitching by the Bear Pit Bozos.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 18th February 2020 at 14:09.

Sell it to who ever you want. If the watch was already keenly priced then I’d personally have ignored the low ballers as no doubt they are hoping for ignorance in your part and greed on theirs?

Having said the above, I have been know to make offers but no to low ball, I hope

Consider replying to low ballers: "No … but thank you for your interest." Keep it polite even though they're chancers. Never ever suggest an actual higher price than their low ball offer … await a better offer. Beware of 'no offer' replies where 'tyre kickers' try to wear you down without making a firm offer … if you've priced it fairly you'll receive reasonable and firm offers.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 18th February 2020 at 15:03.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It is not respectful to low ball. I would totally ignore low ballers and refuse to deal with them ever again.
    I have absolutely no problem with low ballers. I will always consider their offer and respond politely to them. Even if I refuse that offer, I would have no issue whatsoever in dealing with them in the future.

Any item is worth what both the seller and buyer agree. To have a hissy fit just because somebody has a different view to yours strikes me as somewhat bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    ???

Thats pretty much what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    ???

Thats pretty much what I said.
    Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick. Clearly can't multitask.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with low ballers. I will always consider their offer and respond politely to them. Even if I refuse that offer, I would have no issue whatsoever in dealing with them in the future.

Any item is worth what both the seller and buyer agree. To have a hissy fit just because somebody has a different view to yours strikes me as somewhat bizarre.
    ^^^ My thoughts exactly, I may have a wry smile at a low ball offer but I'll always respond politely.

I've never been offered more than the asking price.

I generally go for first unqualified "I'll take it". The only exception would be if that person had poor H&V feedback, or I had had previous poor experience with them before including low ball offers having been made.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Maybe to some people it's all about getting the money, but others will have principles about who they sell to. Forum hoovers, liars and those who take advantage of members down on their luck wouldn't be entertained by me, even if they were the first to reply agreeing to pay the asking price.

Hi

I think you can choose to sell to who you wish. You may rather deal with someone you know, rather than fastest to offer.

To be honest it’s a lovely watch, that I thought was severely under-priced.

It is rare that a watch is offered far to cheaply, and I don’t wish you to throw away money, which is why I’m about to offer the following unsolicited advice.

If it was me I would pull the watch and return any money sent, then re-list at a more realistic price.

Your sale was full of noble intent, but I would not let such a watch go so much below it’s value

BW

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Maybe to some people it's all about getting the money, but others will have principles about who they sell to. Forum hoovers, liars and those who take advantage of members down on their luck wouldn't be entertained by me, even if they were the first to reply agreeing to pay the asking price.
    This.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I agree and I hope the OP doesn’t mind me saying that his generosity in this instance comes across as a tad naive. I think it would’ve sold just as fast at £4-4.5k.

This

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Hi

I think you can choose to sell to who you wish. You may rather deal with someone you know, rather than fastest to offer.

To be honest it’s a lovely watch, that I thought was severely under-priced.

It is rare that a watch is offered far to cheaply, and I don’t wish you to throw away money, which is why I’m about to offer the following unsolicited advice.

If it was me I would pull the watch and return any money sent, then re-list at a more realistic price.

Your sale was full of noble intent, but I would not let such a watch go so much below it’s value

BW

Dave

and this

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I agree and I hope the OP doesn’t mind me saying that his generosity in this instance comes across as a tad naive. I think it would’ve sold just as fast at £4-4.5k.

OP did any of the immediate replies or pms tell you it was way too cheap or were they all just rushing to profit from your mis-pricing?

I recently sold a £475 watch.

Four offers came in immediately.

The first one was for £425.

Second was a no quibble ‘I’ll take it’.

Third was for £450.

Fourth was a ‘Could I hold it until pay day and would I accept £450’?

Which one do you think I sold to?

I still did a quick H&V check first though.

Master
    Gents,

I'll keep it brief. I'm the buyer of Greg's GS as is pretty obvious from the sales post, and I can assure you I did not buy it for dishonourable reasons. Yes it was an absolute bargain and to be honest having only spotted it half an hour after it was listed I'd assumed I'd already missed out, but the fact is, I already had an appointment with a dealer to view an as-new one of these at a dealers this Friday (very heavily discounted off RRP, incidentally), and also very coincidentally, I'd PM'd another member here who I know owns this model less than an hour before Greg's post, looking to pick his brains as I'm mad keen on this watch.

So it's not a case of it being hoovered. I have, however, PM'd Greg this morning to check he's happy with our deal still in light of some of the comments here, as it would take the shine off ownership somewhat if not.

Very decent thing to do. Think we can see it isn't being hoovered but to offer to cancel the deal as it's being sold too low is a very decent thing to do. Hopefully you and the seller can come to an arrangement at a price which makes it equitable for both.

Master
    You can’t stop people low balling, just smile and wave, o wouldn’t have blamed you for pricing higher to get offers where you wanted them. But if you price strongly the forum police may rip you limb from limb, you just can’t win

So do what you are comfortable with, I always take the asking price if it comes in, I’m never rude with the low ballers just say no thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I recently sold a £475 watch.

Four offers came in immediately.

The first one was for £425.

Second was a no quibble ‘I’ll take it’.

Third was for £450.

Fourth was a ‘Could I hold it until pay day and would I accept £450’?

Which one do you think I sold to?

I still did a quick H&V check first though.
    Depends how much you liked the pay day bloke, but I’m going with no quibbles lol

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You can’t stop people low balling, just smile and wave, o wouldn’t have blamed you for pricing higher to get offers where you wanted them. But if you price strongly the forum police may rip you limb from limb, you just can’t win

So do what you are comfortable with, I always take the asking price if it comes in, I’m never rude with the low ballers just say no thanks

The victim role doesn't suit you, you were given a hard time simply because you blatantly lied in your sales post, nothing more and nothing less.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.