closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 78 of 354 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,900 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I’m guessing you are making many assessments... here is one from before, obviously we broke it up a little, but still covered it all. Looping between France and Spain a few times a day. Have done the Pyrenees and Alps countless times. Still go back! Great roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Super route/s

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Where do you currently store your bike when not in use Tony?

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    In a Ridehide, Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can anyone tell me the best way to anchor it to the patio slabs (i.e. what type of fixings I'd need to use)?
    It might be worth considering the depth and construction of your base; depending on what it is the slabs might not be much of a challenge.

Master
    I believe that Lynns Raven Cafe has closed down. Anyone else heard anything, Enoch ??
    Stuart
    Yep, definitely closed down Stuart....
    Will have to go to the Old Stores in Pontybodkin instead..👍

Yep, sad to see the Raven go.
    Fantastic place to meet up, and loads of biker history too.
    Will be missed.

In the meantime, here's a few stops 5 mins from the Raven which are far nicer venues, with far better coffee.
    Food's not as good value though.

Grindley Brook Locks Whitchurch
    Alderford Lake Whitchurch

Both are a lovely place to sit outside on a nice day.

Anyone planning any roadtrips this year? After a dismal biking year for me in 2019, have decided to do a little more of what I love and get out on the bike more often. 3 of us are planning a trip to raid the ‘Eastern Bloc’ to the Black Sea and to Istanbul this year. Route is roughly this and will take 2 weeks.

I've done a European tour every year since 2004 when I bought my ST3. Anything between 10 and 14 days. This year we've gone for France Germany, Belgium and Holland in mid May. Hotels and ferry crossings already booked, just planning on the routes between each hotel and our daily rides.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

More bike related stuff

I’m guessing you are making many assessments... here is one from before, obviously we broke it up a little, but still covered it all. Looping between France and Spain a few times a day. Have done the Pyrenees and Alps countless times. Still go back! Great roads.

That’s a great route, I’ve ridden a lot of that and there are some incredible roads. I love the Pyrenees and Massiv Central areas as a bit quieter than the alps.

Would’ve been great to go for a ride tomorrow but unfortunately have a long list of chores that I need to get done!
    Last edited by Matt8500; 11th January 2020 at 20:20.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    In a Ridehide, Stuart.
    Are you not able to have a garage built at your gaff? You could get yours and your lads rides and a lot more in there. I have never seen those Amazon things, but I personally dont think I’d put my bike in what I see as a different shaped tent, (thinking security in particular here). I get the covering may be tougher than a standard tent, but any thief with a blade will be in it in a second. I dont know how you could secure it down either, unless the bottom of the steel tubing has any sort of foot bracket to screw/bolt it down.

There are metal bike sheds about, but again I’ve not seen or used one so cant comment on them really. However being metal they are surely a bit more secure and may not need securing down due to their weight perhaps? Just my thoughts.

Stuart

Enoch Tifa Downer

Cheers for the confirmation guys. Sad really as even with the large Police presence around the are it was a good night out on a Thursday. I think it has closed and re opened in the past, maybe it will open again, hope so as it was a good place to go.

Stuart

Are you not able to have a garage built at your gaff? You could get yours and your lads rides and a lot more in there. I have never seen those Amazon things, but I personally dont think I’d put my bike in what I see as a different shaped tent, (thinking security in particular here). I get the covering may be tougher than a standard tent, but any thief with a blade will be in it in a second. I dont know how you could secure it down either, unless the bottom of the steel tubing has any sort of foot bracket to screw/bolt it down.

There are metal bike sheds about, but again I’ve not seen or used one so cant comment on them really. However being metal they are surely a bit more secure and may not need securing down due to their weight perhaps? Just my thoughts.

Stuart

I’ve been thinking about that for a while, Stuart. However. If I were to replace the two sheds I have for something suitable it would involve some major work to the garden, as they’re at the far end and the lawn is at an elevated level. There’s no easy answer, sadly, although the bikes are at least at the back of the house and the other side of a locked gate.

if you are going to put a slab base down i'd just go for a large wooden shed rather than a flimsy tent (if possible ) - i did something similar using a 8x6 shed which is fine for 1 bike (just get a larger shed if you want to put 2 in )

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve been thinking about that for a while, Stuart. However. If I were to replace the two sheds I have for something suitable it would involve some major work to the garden, as they’re at the far end and the lawn is at an elevated level. There’s no easy answer, sadly, although the bikes are at least at the back of the house and the other side of a locked gate.
    I had a purpose built shed with fully insulated walls/roof,concrete floor with ground anchor built along with a wider gate to get in and out with ease.

It was the best thing I ever had done,its easier to get to and maintain my bike and its very secure.

in the end you may end up doing the same, I would find a reliable builder for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I had a purpose built shed with fully insulated walls/roof,concrete floor with ground anchor built along with a wider gate to get in and out with ease.

It was the best thing I ever had done,its easier to get to and maintain my bike and its very secure.

in the end you may end up doing the same, I would find a reliable builder for ideas.
    Yes, I’ve been considering this too. The issue is the location of any new shed/garage and the issues that would arise in terms of access across the garden. I have very limited room on the patio, unfortunately, and my son’s unexpected return home has caused some difficulties.

I’ll give it all some more thought.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I’ve been considering this too. The issue is the location of any new shed/garage and the issues that would arise in terms of access across the garden. I have very limited room on the patio, unfortunately, and my son’s unexpected return home has caused some difficulties.

I’ll give it all some more thought.
    I had an old shed at the far end of my garden I left that for Gardening stuff and storage.

The new shed is directly behind my fence thats parallel to my house and leads into the garden from the side.

I then dont have to go across the lawn and have more hard standing to turn the bike.

It took some planning with my friend who built it,we had to take into consideration my neighbors tree and other objects in my garden.

I told him what I wanted, then listened to his advice.

One Idea I had that worked was putting my shed gates to one end rather than the centre of the shed,this meant I could come though my garden gate in a nice easy sweep into the shed.

I hope you can find a solution it will increase your riding pleasure.

Master
    Blog Entries

Hex EZCAN

Anyone using one of these and if so, what’s the thoughts

Looking two get 2 units

Jim

I’ll Google that as well!
    Only skimmed your post before.

lift the slabs that coincide with the feet, and dig out the ground in the centre to 10” diameter / 10-12” deep. Fill with postcrete, and re-lay the slabs.

then drill through both and use long bolts to either fix with rawlbolts into the postcrete or chemical anchors. It will add better weight in case of winds, which have a big sail to act on there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Anyone using one of these and if so, what’s the thoughts

Looking two get 2 units

Jim
    Hey Jim, PM’d you. They work as intended and were great in powering some additional aux lights I had on my last GS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That’s a great route, I’ve ridden a lot of that and there are some incredible roads. I love the Pyrenees and Massiv Central areas as a bit quieter than the alps.

Would’ve been great to go for a ride tomorrow but unfortunately have a long list of chores that I need to get done!
    Hi Matt! If you have a change of mind, there are 2 of us leaving W.London in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tell me about it. Mine £1.3k and it's been on the drive untouched for 3 months. Infuriating.
    Good grief! My GSA was £184 last year, parked on the road, it's actually garaged for 6 months of the year. Admittedly it's 10 years old and I am older than God.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hey Jim, PM’d you. They work as intended and were great in powering some additional aux lights I had on my last GS.
    Thank you A. Replied too with a cheeky request

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Good grief! My GSA was £184 last year, parked on the road, it's actually garaged for 6 months of the year. Admittedly it's 10 years old and I am older than God.
    I have 6 points but the insurance said 90% of the cost is driveway in London combined with the cost of the bike. Once a bike is over £15k they throw away the lube.

...and I thought that I had been b*tt r4p3d when Carole Nash charged me £400 for a Hayabusa after a while off a bike about 7-8 years ago. It went down to £200 the next year. Only £3k worth of bike though. I have never had points though. I never go over 30 and absolutely never hang off on the bends, laughing like a lunatic into my lid.

I will send you some lube. It sounds like you need the strong stuff!

Master
    Anyone got experience of getting a group of bikes transported?
    We're planning a trip to Scotland and need about 8-10 bikes transported there so we can ride a tour and then ride back South via Peak district.

Bike transporter I've contacted so far don't offer a service for a group of bikes.

Considering hiring a 7.5 ton lorry with a tail lift - but this didn't have all tie downs we would need.

Open to suggestions.

Give Curries a call. https://www.curriesolutions.com/

I know they regularly transport bikes on their liner service to Italy (or did) and were very competitive.

Might just be the one you need.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    We're planning a trip to Scotland and need about 8-10 bikes transported there so we can ride a tour and then ride back South via Peak district.

Bike transporter I've contacted so far don't offer a service for a group of bikes.

Considering hiring a 7.5 ton lorry with a tail lift - but this didn't have all tie downs we would need.

Open to suggestions.
    One of my mates is doing something similar, there is a group of them doing the north coast 500. They are actually hiring 3 tranny vans which they say will hold 3 bikes and kit. Then driving up to wherever in Scotland and doing runs out from their base wherever that may be, load the bikes back in at the end and drive home. Just need a bike ramp and you’re good to go I suppose. I have never done owt like this personally so cant give pros and cons, but they reckon its the cheapest and most convenient method. Food for thought.....

Stuart

One of my mates is doing something similar, there is a group of them doing the north coast 500. They are actually hiring 3 tranny vans which they say will hold 3 bikes and kit. Then driving up to wherever in Scotland and doing runs out from their base wherever that may be, load the bikes back in at the end and drive home. Just need a bike ramp and you’re good to go I suppose. I have never done owt like this personally so cant give pros and cons, but they reckon its the cheapest and most convenient method. Food for thought.....

Stuart

Going up and down the ramp would fill
    me with dread!

Open to suggestions.
    You don't say where your starting point is, but I did Aberdeen to Torquay 2-up, overnighting in Telford on a GSA. This was done in my late fifties. Then back again, but we spent a week visitng places that we had not previously seen.

I have also done Aberdeen to Worthing on a Hayabusa then back again. Again overninghting in Telford. This was done in my early fifties.

If you are a younger bunch on modern bikes you should easily be able to crack that distance. It also depends on where you are going to in Scotland. It's a big place. The 500 route gets clogged with campervans. I have done it twice from the Sussex coast, once in a car and once on a Goldwing before it was fashionable. The scenery is absolutely stunning. On both occasions i overnighted in Jedburgh in a cottage before AirBnB was a thing.

If you are really determined to drivethe bikes up then I would recommend having a look at Shiply for quotes. You might not get all of the bikes shipped in one load, but you might get it done in two or three. Prices were really competitive, and I considered this getting a bike from Hereford to Aberdeen, as it was cheaper than me getting myself from Shetland to pick it up. You still have to get yourself to the place that the bikes will be dropped off and there are bound to be delays.

If you are determined to do the driving then a tail lift will make things much easier. I used to drive for a truck hire company and had to deliver trucks all around the country. Sometimes there was no truck to bring back for the return journey, so if it was a tail lift I use to take my CX500 in the back. Tie downs will be a problem, as might parking when you get there. I have a heavy goods licence so they could all be done in a oner imho, but not in a truck that you could drive on a car licence, and be able to guarantee no damage to the bikes.

I would be interested where the journey starts from, and what types of bikes you will be riding.

Master
    One of the suggestions is to do the Grand Tour 287...

We're riding a proper mixture.
    Some GS, Z1000SX, Multistrada, MT09 GT, Street Triple etc.

Plan is ship / drive bikes up to Inverness and go from there.
    We'll ride home to south east as part of the trip.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Going up and down the ramp would fill
    me with dread!
    Its sometimes better to push the bike up a ramp. When any of my bikes have had to be collected from my house they have always been pushed. Never seen any dropped yet, touch wood. I’m with you though, I wouldnt like to ride up one. If the ramp is longer it isnt so steep so may be easier, but still probably scary.

Stuart

Take midge repellant if you are going in the summer. If you plan to stop overnight there is a lovely hotel in Tain, whose name escapes me, but it is something to do with golf. It may be too close to the start/end depending on which way around you are going, and how long you are taking over it. There will be some fabulous scenery, and wonderful roads, (and campervans!)

I ought to admit that most of my experience has being going around the roads nearer to the coast and along the top (Durness to JoG), or cycling down from Aberdeen to as far as Lancaster, or cycling from Aberdeen around the Cairngorms on a number of occasions.

If you can extend it to a trip around the Cairngorms I would highly recommend it. A very popular place with bikers at the weekends (and campervans).
    Last edited by Templogin; 12th January 2020 at 18:48.

Take midge repellant if you are going in the summer.
    Avon Skin So Soft.

+1 on Skin so Soft. Smidge seems to get good reviews too, but I use the former.

Master
    Was great to get out today despite damp roads!

Master
    Blog Entries
    On Sun 12 Jan at 8.00pm on BBC2 there is a one off TV Programme called “The Speedshop.” where our very own SSgt John Nelson formerly of 24 Cdo RE Wksp REME, is called upon to join Steven ‘Titch’ Cormack and his team for his fantastic mechanical skill set. In the show having recently had his leg amputated, Chris, an ex-Para wants a specifically adapted motorcycle for off road use. The programme further showcases the ability and regard our tradesmen are held in.

On Sun 12 Jan at 8.00pm on BBC2 there is a one off TV Programme called “The Speedshop.” where our very own SSgt John Nelson formerly of 24 Cdo RE Wksp REME, is called upon to join Steven ‘Titch’ Cormack and his team for his fantastic mechanical skill set. In the show having recently had his leg amputated, Chris, an ex-Para wants a specifically adapted motorcycle for off road use. The programme further showcases the ability and regard our tradesmen are held in.
    Watching it now

Was great to get out today despite damp roads!

I was just thinking> “That’s a posh Deliveroo joint!”

+1 on Skin so Soft. Smidge seems to get good reviews too, but I use the former.
    I found Smidge worked well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I found Smidge worked well.
    Smidge do a really good website that lists severity of midges by area.

We used Avon skin so soft as the outdoor instructors where we stayed used it and they work there 50 plus days per year

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Smidge do a really good website that lists severity of midges by area.

We used Avon skin so soft as the outdoor instructors where we stayed used it and they work there 50 plus days per year

Steve
    Can recommend the Avon stuff, used extensively on the West Coast of Scotland.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

Open to suggestions.
    I've found a service that will transport 10 bikes in 2 vans London to Edinburgh for £240 per bike.
    www.movingmotorcycles.co.uk
    Last edited by I a n; 13th January 2020 at 14:20.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These are good, I sold a bike here in the south of England and they did a terrific job of delivering it to Scotland.

The buyer and myself where both very pleased with the service.

http://thebikebus.weebly.com/

Great show. Hope they get a full series.

Master
    These are good, I sold a bike here in the south of England and they did a terrific job of delivering it to Scotland.

The buyer and myself where both very pleased with the service.

http://thebikebus.weebly.com/
    Thanks - they've replied already to say they can do it for £200 per bike all inclusive.
    That's £40 cheaper than my other quote.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks - they've replied already to say they can do it for £200 per bike all inclusive.
    That's £40 cheaper than my other quote.

when they turned up at my house it was a properly kitted out van,my bike was very secure, they pride themselves on the service they provide.

though I still took photos before it was loaded just in case.

I paid £95 Hereford to Aberdeen for the GSA just FYI, three years ago now though. It arrived with a flat battery though. The heated grips had been left on, and they only come on with the ignition on. The van was organised by the garage. It was a courier they usually used. I don’t know the name though.

Some of you may recall that the catalyst for me getting back on a bike was my son taking his CBT back in June '18. At the time I bought him a scooter (for his 21st birthday present) - a Lexmoto for not much money as he wouldn't listen to me and go Japanese. Long story short, it's completely knackered, not helped by the fact that it was nicked and all but destroyed before he got it back.

It's been more and more unreliable of late with constant mechanical and electrical problems making his journeys to & from work a nightmare (and he works shifts, so can often be coming home in the early hours). I couldn't bear to see him in so much trouble, so a couple of days ago I bought him one of these - a Honda CB12F. It's a nice simple bike, and it was actually the Autotrader A1 bike of the year in 2016.

We searched long and hard for the right one, and bizarrely I found one on Gumtree a mile from our house as we were setting off for a long journey to Croydon to look at some pre-registered examples that were all more than I wanted to spend. The one I bought is three and half years old with 5,000 miles on the clock, and it's all but indistinguishable from a new bike. I'm collecting it on Saturday morning and then we'll be on some open ground around the corner so Sam can get used to the clutch and practice slow manoeuvres before we go out for some road riding.

I'm so happy for him - in fact I think I'm as excited as he is
    Last edited by learningtofly; 16th January 2020 at 12:57.

Master
    With total cumulative sales of 300 million motorcycles, Honda know a thing or two about manufacturing and reliability. That 125 engine powers all manner of things from bikes to generators. Good safe purchase, plus you are likely to wash your dace when it comes to selling.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    With total cumulative sales of 300 million motorcycles, Honda know a thing or two about manufacturing and reliability. That 125 engine powers all manner of things from bikes to generators. Good safe purchase, plus you are likely to wash your dace when it comes to selling.

Steve
    That's what I'm hoping, Steve. They're £2900 new, and I paid £1600 - there couldn't be a better example anywhere in terms of condition. Now he just needs to look after it.

Quite a large update from my side

After 18 enjoyable months on a BMW R Nine T Racer (on which I found the riding position to be fairly bearable) and with a grand total of 2,700 miles completed I am moving to something new

I have just put a deposit down on a 2010 KTM RC8R. Hopefully picking it up on Saturday (weather permitting)

I will keep you all posted

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

@LTF - My eldest son had & youngest son currently has a CBR125 - The more sporty version. Both bikes have been reliable so hopefully your lad will have no issues.

@oliverte - Love the looks & sound of the RC8R, but they are too tall for me. Are you planning to track it?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57