closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Importing a watch from US

Master

Importing a watch from US

I’m mulling over a C24 purchase from a dealer in the US.
    Am I correct that there’s 20 percent vat payable on this transaction?
    Will there be any additional charges?

Thanks for any advice.

Adam

Grand Master
    Last time I got stung for import charges it was 20% + around £12 handling fee.

With the poor exchange rate, plus the import costs, buying from the USA isn’t attractive unless the watch in question is something special that’s can’t easily be sourced elsewhere.

Craftsman
    I agree with Walkerwek.

It is 20% plus Import duty. Back when the exchange rate was $2 to a £1, it was well worth it. But now, unless you are travelling there anyways and can pick up in person, I would avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Last time I got stung for import charges it was 20% + around £12 handling fee.

With the poor exchange rate, plus the import costs, buying from the USA isn’t attractive unless the watch in question is something special that’s can’t easily be sourced elsewhere.
    Thanks Paul,

Ive been struggling to find a decent example of the watch in question in Europe, so might have to bite the bullet.
    Cheers

I will often have watches I buy in the States sent to friends over there who will ship to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    I agree with Walkerwek.

It is 20% plus Import duty. Back when the exchange rate was $2 to a £1, it was well worth it. But now, unless you are travelling there anyways and can pick up in person, I would avoid.

If it is over about 300 even carried through in person it is still liable to be declared for VAT on entry to the UK otherwise it is smuggling.

Craftsman

Importing a watch from US

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If it is over about 300 even carried through in person it is still liable to be declared for VAT on entry to the UK otherwise it is smuggling.
    Yes, you do run that risk if you are not declaring it. But I am sure there are plenty of people who will go over to the States not wearing a watch, buy the new piece and then just wear it back.

Last edited by Ctam; 17th September 2020 at 10:55.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Yes, you do run that risk if you are not declaring it. But I am sure there are plenty of people who will go over to the States not wearing a watch, buy the new piece and then just wear it back.

I have caused a bit of grief with my comments about this topic. My apologies if anyone was offended.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    This might sound like a daft question, but if I went to the US on holiday (as I was supposed to a few weeks ago😩 ) and bought a Rolex while I was there, sized it up and started wearing it, wore it on the journey home - would I be expected to declare that purchase and pay 20% VAT on it when I got home?

Blog Entries
    All told - factor in about 30% on top of purchase price. Soon to be on EU imports too!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    This might sound like a daft question, but if I went to the US on holiday (as I was supposed to a few weeks ago ) and bought a Rolex while I was there, sized it up and started wearing it, wore it on the journey home - would I be expected to declare that purchase and pay 20% VAT on it when I got home?
    Of course you would.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    This might sound like a daft question, but if I went to the US on holiday (as I was supposed to a few weeks ago ) and bought a Rolex while I was there, sized it up and started wearing it, wore it on the journey home - would I be expected to declare that purchase and pay 20% VAT on it when I got home?
    Yes of course

You would be expected to go through the ‘red’ channel - anything over £350 odd pounds (check HMRC site) - so that new iPad for example would apply also.

(Careful what you put on this public side of the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Yes of course

You would be expected to go through the ‘red’ channel - anything over £350 odd pounds (check HMRC site) - so that new iPad for example would apply also.

(Careful what you put on this public side of the forum)
    It’s not something I’ve ever really considered as I’ve never bought expensive items, watches or otherwise, while abroad. Of course now you’ve said it it makes perfect sense.

Master
    Thanks for your response all.
    I was thinking I’d wait until I found one in Europe on C24 to avoid paying the vat, but Martyn’s just reminded me that A Brexit no-deal is probably going to scupper that plan.

As Blackadder would say - Bugger!!

At the risk of sounding like Victor Meldrew, why does no-one bother to use the search facility any more?

Simon