closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Seadweller has stopped working

My Seadweller has stopped working

This afternoon. No movement of any of the hands.

So back to RSJ or Genesis? Also how do you ensure it for the travel?

1990 version.

Bugger

Mike

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Genesis don’t do Seadwellers so back to Rolex.

Just drop it off at your local ad and let them take if the shipping.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    When was it last serviced?

I have my Submariner serviced by RSC, need to take it to nearest AD who will send it on for you. Cost of service, November last year was £580 and took about 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    When was it last serviced?

I have my Submariner serviced by RSC, need to take it to nearest AD who will send it on for you. Cost of service, November last year was £580 and took about 5 weeks.

No idea :-)

Traded it with Kelly (100th Monkey) circa 5 years ago and its not had one since. Incidentally the trade was for a GMT (both boxed with papers) at the trade value 3kish how times have changed :-)

Cheers
    Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Genesis don’t do Seadwellers so back to Rolex.

Just drop it off at your local ad and let them take if the shipping.
    Might be worth speaking to Genesis, the movement parts are common to subs of the era and he may be able to help. You will only get submariner levels of waterproofing in terms of warranty but suspect thats sufficient.

Journeyman
    Bummer. Was there a sudden impact/drop, or did it just seize up?

Grand Master
    Like a horse collapsing in the shackles......if you don’t get it serviced don’t be surprised when it stops.
    Truth is, It’ll have been running shit for a good while. Zero sympathy for anyone who cheapskates on maintaining expensive watches, I take old watches apart that have extensive wear through neglect and it’s never a pretty sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Bummer. Was there a sudden impact/drop, or did it just seize up?
    nope just stopped. Bugger. Can Rolex tell you if they have ever serviced a watch? It would be interesting to know

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    nope just stopped. Bugger. Can Rolex tell you if they have ever serviced a watch? It would be interesting to know
    only if you get them to do the work, I imagine they will be ok with letting you know previous RSC work.

Independents can decipher inside case back marks and could say when it’s been to rsc, but you wouldn’t know if for service or repair

Grand Master
    In the absence of any reliable info, assume a watch hasn’t been serviced.

If the caseback is removed, inspection of the jewels with a strong magnifier will show whether they’re moist with oil or dried up and gummy, this can indicate that the watch hasn’t been serviced for several years. On some automatics the hand- winding can feel ‘gritty’ when the watch hasn’t been serviced in a long while. The trusty timegrapher will show how the watch is running, but sometimes a watch will run fairly well even though the balance pivots are bone dry.

If you’re going to own a watch worth a few grand it makes sense to keep it maintained, if in doubt get the watch serviced and then you know it’ll be right for 7-8 years.

Time for a battery change:-)

Master
    A 1990 watch
    Presuming all original parts
    Don't send it to Rolex or else you will end up with a load of new parts and your nice Tritium SD will be no more.
    Think indy and forget the 4000ft guarantee-unless you need it of course

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    A 1990 watch
    Presuming all original parts
    Don't send it to Rolex or else you will end up with a load of new parts and your nice Tritium SD will be no more.
    Think indy and forget the 4000ft guarantee-unless you need it of course
    Nonsense.

The movement needing a service does not mean his dial and hands will be automatically replaced.

If it were mine I would have it sent to RSC and have it waterproofed to spec.

Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    I popped into St James and asked them very nicely if they could check for me, the nice lady looked the serial number up and confirmed it hadn’t been back to them, she updated me as the new owner I think ( 16600 made in 1994 )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I popped into St James and asked them very nicely if they could check for me, the nice lady looked the serial number up and confirmed it hadn’t been back to them, she updated me as the new owner I think ( 16600 made in 1994 )
    Does that mean you can send it to Rolex for a service if you want to? or will they refuse as its not been serviced by them over the years?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    Does that mean you can send it to Rolex for a service if you want to? or will they refuse as its not been serviced by them over the years?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Of course it can be sent to Rolex for service even if they have never serviced it before. The issue may be that parts will be seriously worn and need replacement bumping up the cost.

Blog Entries
    Of course it can be sent to Rolex for service even if they have never serviced it before. The issue may be that parts will be seriously worn and need replacement bumping up the cost.
    What parts do Rolex replace included in the service price? Interested as they have my sub at the moment.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I would have thought that parts that are subject to wear are included in the service price, it doesn't matter if its a small amount of wear or serious wear, wear is wear and would be replaced anyway. Its only things like dials, hands, crown and case parts that are extra. ( only going by what others have posted about their service experiences)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master

My Seadweller has stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Nonsense.

The movement needing a service does not mean his dial and hands will be automatically replaced.

Not automatically you are correct there.
    Sent a 1016 Explorer in recently and they wouldn’t service it without replacing the hands
    Told them to put it back together and send it back to me which they did.

Blog Entries
    I would have thought that parts that are subject to wear are included in the service price, it doesn't matter if its a small amount of wear or serious wear, wear is wear and would be replaced anyway. Its only things like dials, hands, crown and case parts that are extra. ( only going by what others have posted about their service experiences)
    As an example RSC charge £35 for a replacement crown, on top of the standard service charge.

The thing to remember is that even RSC approved independents are not allowed to service Sea Dwellers. Anything with an HRV soes to the mothership.
    Well, this used to be the case a couple of years ago, and Rolex do not have a habit of making things less restrictive.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    As an example RSC charge £35 for a replacement crown, on top of the standard service charge.

Would you remember what a 16600 crystal might be on top of the service please?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Time for a battery change:-)
    Bugger, I was going to suggest that!

Nonsense.

Pretty much the Tritium will be dead as it is on my 1996 14060, with no notes of intent they will replace, dial, hands and possibly bezel plus give it a polish, this will hurt the value now and even more so in the future as the watch becomes more valuable.

Send it to them if they can guarantee original parts remaining after service, if not I would look elsewhere unless of course you want new service Luminova and shiny case sides.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 11th January 2020 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not automatically you are correct there.
    Sent a 1016 Explorer in recently and they wouldn’t service it without replacing the hands
    Told them to put it back together and send it back to me which they did.
    What are you saying? I'm correct? That is why I wrote what I did.

In response to the very broad, definitive statement:
    "Don't send it to Rolex or else you will end up with a load of new parts and your nice Tritium SD will be no more.

I said: "The movement needing a service does not mean his dial and hands will be automatically replaced."

If the functional integrity of your hands has been compromised then that is a specific situation that applies an individual watch.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Bugger, I was going to suggest that!

Pretty much the Tritium will be dead as it is on my 1996 14060, with no notes of intent they will replace, dial, hands and possibly bezel plus give it a polish, this will hurt the value now and even more so in the future as the watch becomes more valuable.

Send it to them if they can guarantee original parts remaining after service, if not I would look elsewhere unless of course you want new service Luminova and shiny case sides.
    Again, not accurate.

They will polish during a service, unless you specify otherwise.

They will not replace tritium hands by rote, only where necessary (hands are damaged).

All anyone needs to do is sent the watch, with specific instructions, to find this out for themselves.

Again, not accurate.

They will polish during a service, unless you specify otherwise.

They will not replace tritium hands by rote, only where necessary (hands are damaged).

All anyone needs to do is sent the watch, with specific instructions, to find this out for themselves.
    As I said Note of intent - ie; written letter saying please dont replace original parts other than movement.

You also mention "functional integrity of your hands has been compromised" surely this is classed as dead lume, if it doesn't glow then its functionally compromised hence needing replacing??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The thing to remember is that even RSC approved independents are not allowed to service Sea Dwellers. Anything with an HRV soes to the mothership.
    Well, this used to be the case a couple of years ago, and Rolex do not have a habit of making things less restrictive.
    D
    Indeed, but movement parts are common to subs though so you might find a sympathetic independent may be able to help with a running issue/ movement service. Over the years none of my sea dwellers have ever been back to RSC but I have managed to have the movements serviced. (I never get case work done and Requirement for HEV work is very rare)
    Last edited by Bluetinfloor; 11th January 2020 at 13:21.

As I said Note of intent - ie; written letter saying please dont replace original parts other than movement.

You also mention "functional integrity of your hands has been compromised" surely this is classed as dead lume, if it doesn't glow then its functionally compromised hence needing replacing??
    Even without a "note of intent" they will NOT automatically change the dial and hands as you claim. You'd get an estimate stating their recommendations before giving them the go-ahead.

Regarding the hands... just because the lume does not glow does not mean the hands have to be changed. Otherwise we'd be talking automatic tritium dial replacements also.

I don't wish to imply you're being a pedant so I will say you are making too literal an interpretation. Like saying all faded bezels MUST be changed.

I'm taking about lume that is cracked, partially missing, moisture damaged and spreading debris about the dial. Rusty or corroded hands etc. You know, stuff that really should be changed if people weren't insistent upon originality regardless of poor condition.
    Last edited by Dent99; 11th January 2020 at 13:33.

Even without a "note of intent" they will NOT automatically change the dial and hands as you claim. You'd get an estimate stating their recommendations before giving them the go-ahead.

Regarding the hands... just because the lume does not glow does not mean the hands have to be changed. Otherwise we'd be talking automatic tritium dial replacements also.

I don't wish to imply you're being a pedant so I will say you are making too literal an interpretation. Like saying all faded bezels MUST be changed.

I'm taking about lume that is cracked, partially missing, moisture damaged and spreading debris about the dial. Rusty or corroded hands etc. You know, stuff that really should be changed if people weren't insistent upon originality regardless of poor condition.
    Fair enough, just that there is a lot of stories of watches having service parts without owners consent, hence why a letter included or wrote down at time of booking it in stating what you want, I would be nervous if I sent my 14060 in..

Blog Entries
    This is exactly correct.

Fair enough, just that there is a lot of stories of watches having service parts without owners consent, hence why a letter included or wrote down at time of booking it in stating what you want, I would be nervous if I sent my 14060 in..
    I have heard the stories too. Many of which stem from a time, many years ago, when a hand set or dial replacement (authorised by the customer) meant newer luminova hands would go on an older dial. But this was also a time when most customers really didn't care and the manufacturer is offering an upgraded component.

It's a different marketplace now where everyone is obsessed with originality even if it looks like the watch has been in a blender. But even so, I'd wager a lot of 'normal' wearers would be glad to have a bright set of glowing hands they can see.

With respect, people should be more careful about spreading bad information that is not accurate and sends collectors/wearers into a panic.
    Last edited by Dent99; 11th January 2020 at 14:27.

Craftsman
    Would you remember what a 16600 crystal might be on top of the service please?
    It was £97 in June last year, don't know if it's gone up since. That was at RSC, in addition to the movement service.

Thanks Gary.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    What are you saying? I'm correct? That is why I wrote what I did.

In response to the very broad, definitive statement:
    "Don't send it to Rolex or else you will end up with a load of new parts and your nice Tritium SD will be no more.

I said: "The movement needing a service does not mean his dial and hands will be automatically replaced."

If the functional integrity of your hands has been compromised then that is a specific situation that applies an individual watch.
    Yes I am saying you are correct and that they wouldn't change things without consultation-my original post was an incorrect generalisation.
    However they may also refuse to complete the service if you don't agree to certain changes.
    Why would I agree to have new white"bright set of glowing hands" put next to an aged vintage dial.
    If the customer is willing to take any risk on board with whatever they want to leave as original then the choice should be theirs.
    IMO obviously.

Grand Master
    What some people fail to recognise is the deterioration of the lume that can occur, particularly old tritium lume that may become very brittle. The lume can start to flake when the hands are removed, as soon as they’re disturbed there’s a risk. An independent repairer will use judgement and may be able to relume the hands to match the aged lume on the dial, but the likes of Rolex or Omega service centres will fit new hands.

You can debate the rights and wrongs of this, but that’s how it is. If parts were freely available to all and sundry there wouldn’t be a problem, and servicing costs woukd be significantly lower too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What parts do Rolex replace included in the service price? Interested as they have my sub at the moment.
    Anyone?

Master
    Movement parts and seals as necessary, anything else is extra and itemized on a quote post inspection. You then tell them what you want done from the list of recommendations.

Anyone?
    Rocco at Watchworks in Bristol gave me to understand that for Subs, it was completely standard to replace the crown, tube and rear seal as part of the normal service. Included in the price.
    I also think (but cannot specifically recall) that it included the crystal. Other posters here have indicated that this is not the normal modus operandi, but that is what he told me.
    D

Master
    Rocco at Watchworks in Bristol gave me to understand that for Subs, it was completely standard to replace the crown, tube and rear seal as part of the normal service. Included in the price.
    I also think (but cannot specifically recall) that it included the crystal. Other posters here have indicated that this is not the normal modus operandi, but that is what he told me.
    D
    Well - you will find out one way or the other.

I have old pre work condition reports from Rolex where both Items are listed as defective and replacement recommended in addition to service, but admittedly haven’t had anything back to RSC for 10 years or so!

I also declined most recommended extra non movement items on many occasions and it was never a problem, on a GMT they didn’t guarantee waterproofing once but that was about the only issue.

Master
    D
    I had a Sub crystal replaced by RSC at the same time as a service (admittedly a decade or so ago) and was definitely charged extra.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, just trying to get an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Movement parts and seals as necessary, anything else is extra and itemized on a quote post inspection. You then tell them what you want done from the list of recommendations.
    D
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I had a Sub crystal replaced by RSC at the same time as a service (admittedly a decade or so ago) and was definitely charged extra.

Master
    Thanks guys, just trying to get an idea.
    You (or the AD who submitted the watch on your behalf) should receive a condition report from Rolex advising of any extra work and cost before the work is carried out. This is when you say yes or no to the recommendations above standard service. If worried they are just going proceed then contact them or your AD to make sure this process is followed.

Master
    I believe the rotor runs (or used to run) on a plain bearing and can wear badly if the watch is insufficiently lubricated. Don’t think this is renewed as standard practice at service time but is an extra if necessary. I may be completely wrong of course!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    You (or the AD who submitted the watch on your behalf) should receive a condition report from Rolex advising of any extra work and cost before the work is carried out. This is when you say yes or no to the recommendations above standard service. If worried they are just going proceed then contact them or your AD to make sure this process is followed.
    I did get a phone call from the AD to say RSC had looked at it and didn't think any extra parts were needed. Just wondered which parts would be included in the basic service price thanks.

Master

16600 service last year

I had my tritium 16600 serviced at Rolex St. James in July last year.

Cost of service was £458 +VAT, which included all internal parts necessary to return it to original spec. (incl. new seals, WR testing, regulating etc)

The sapphire crystal was chipped and that cost £81 +VAT to replace.

Dial and hands were not replaced, nor did they suggest that they needed replacing, despite the fact they haven't glowed for years now.

Case was not polished at my request.

Replacement crown and bezel insert were optional extras at £52 +VAT and £37 +VAT respectively (I didn't elect to take either of these options).

All of myself instructions were followed to the letter, no action was taken without my explicit approval, service was exemplary, and the biggest surprise was that I got it back within 1 month of dropping it off.

Basically, they only insist on changing a component if to prevents them from warrantying the work (I had a 5513 refused service because the dial was flaking, for instance).

(I also had a 16710 GMT serviced just before that, which was also back within a month)

Blog Entries
    Well, collected the Submariner 16610 from the AD today after they rang yesterday to say it was back from Kings Hill Service Centre. Case refinishing looks great, as does the bracelet, and lugs look fine as well.

Full service was £458.33, plus £30.83 for a new crown. So including vat that is £587.00. Took the watch in on the 2nd of December so not a bad turnaround including the holidays.