closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newmark 71 Launch

Newmark 71 Launch

Good evening all

While Eddie is having his tea I thought I'd post this (actually, I have his permission)!

Our Kickstarter Campaign is launching tonight at 19:30 BST, so a little over an hour's time.

Here's a link that will work once we have gone live:

...and here's a pic:

Cheers

Ewan

Best of luck Ewan
    They look great.

Good luck Ewan.

Looks stunning. I hope that it is every bit as successful as the 6BB.

I set the alarm on my phone for 19.30 and have now pledged. I fancy a steel dial version

Looks great.
    I am really pleased to see that all dial options are in the mix, so my preferred option (the blue non-date version) is a choice, rather than a stretch goal.
    As a result, I have pledged too.
    Dave

Craftsman
    Yes looks great. I have also pledged. A black non date with the 60 minute dial for me. Neatly 50% funded in less than 3 hours is looking very positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I set the alarm on my phone for 19.30 and have now pledged. I fancy a steel dial version
    I did exactly the same thing... I'll most probably go with either the blue or black no-date with 60min bezel option.

I love the black version and have pledged in a moment of weakness. If my wife finds out I am in deep trouble. Ewan, you are a bad man!

Great work!
    Pledged - can't decide between blue date/no date 60min/12 hour though!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Another thought – can it have a red on white date wheel like the original? That would be cool

Very nice design, best of luck

Master
    Nice, any chance of stretching to appropriately coloured date wheels on the blue and black?

I have been trying to resist this, but having watched the video review on the Kickstarter page I have weakened considerably!

I now think a blue-dialed, date version with a 12 hour bezel would be just the thing.......

Love the attention to detail on this.

I've pledged.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I found out this morning that the watch will be shipped to backers from the Far East, meaning we all pay an extra 20% tax on arrival.

It's still an attractive price and proposition, just slightly less so now we can add an extra £60+ to the pledge price.

To be honest, if there is another £60 to pay, that has tainted the idea of committing, not because the watch may not be worth the increased landed price but because I thought I'd be paying the price as per my pledge.

May I ask how you came about hearing this?

Ewan - perhaps you could clear this up?

Hi all

This is indeed the case and perfectly understandable that it taints things for some people. Details are on the campaign under the Shipping section toward the end.

There are various reasons for things being done this way including our logistics and costs involved with the project, it's not the way we really wanted to do things but had we not then I don't think we could have gone ahead. It is unlikely that we will be using couriers to deliver which might have a bearing on things.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

All best

Ewan

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    To be honest, if there is another £60 to pay, that has tainted the idea of committing, not because the watch may not be worth the increased landed price but because I thought I'd be paying the price as per my pledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ewan.w View Post
    Hi all

This is indeed the case and perfectly understandable that it taints things for some people. Details are on the campaign under the Shipping section toward the end.

There are various reasons for things being done this way including our logistics and costs involved with the project, it's not the way we really wanted to do things but had we not then I don't think we could have gone ahead. It is unlikely that we will be using couriers to deliver which might have a bearing on things.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

All best

Ewan

I don't think using couriers or not will make a difference, we're still legally obliged to pay 20% import tax. From what you're saying it sounds like you're hoping that some will slip through the Customs net.

Like I said before, it's still a sound deal but I feel it should have been flagged up at the beginning. I bet loads of people missed it and will be expecting the same delivery method as the 6BB.

I don't think using couriers or not will make a difference, we're still legally obliged to pay 20% import tax. From what you're saying it sounds like you're hoping that some will slip through the Customs net.

Like I said before, it's still a sound deal but I feel it should have been flagged up at the beginning. I bet loads of people missed it and will be expecting the same delivery method as the 6BB.
    Certainly understand your point of view :-) Reference to couriers was just based on my own experience of buying many watches over the years as opposed to hoping things would slip through. It was a relatively late decision to do things this way thus I thought the best place to do so was in the campaign itself; not ideal for some I know, hence the bold type for that section of the campaign.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Caught me out as well, l naively presumed that the final QC would be done in the UK and then shipped out to customers, would have preferred the import tax implications to have been mentioned on the Kickstarter pledge page to avoid this kind of confusion.

[QUOTE=inthered;5129032]Caught me out as well, l naively presumed that the final QC would be done in the UK and then shipped out to customers, would have preferred the import tax implications to have been mentioned on the Kickstarter pledge page to avoid this kind of confusion.[/QUOTE]

Ewan and I discussed his campaign before it started and he told me of his plans. He mentioned about shipping from the Far East and that he would mention it in the campaign text. It was there right from the start, in bold text.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

You're quite right Eddie, all the information was right there from the start as it is in all other Kickstarter projects.

My comment wasn't meant in malice and wasn't in any way a dig at Ewan, it just never occurred to me to read everything top to bottom and I just presumed it was the same delivery arrangements as per the 6BB - that was my mistake, not anyone else's. There may be a few others that have fallen into the same (unintended!) trap as well so the fact that it's being discussed is a good thing.

I'm not going to withdraw my pledge, though I've still got the headache that is deciding which dial/bezel option to go for...

Master
    [QUOTE=swanbourne;5129071]
    Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    Caught me out as well, l naively presumed that the final QC would be done in the UK and then shipped out to customers, would have preferred the import tax implications to have been mentioned on the Kickstarter pledge page to avoid this kind of confusion.[/QUOTE]

Ewan and I discussed his campaign before it started and he told me of his plans. He mentioned about shipping from the Far East and that he would mention it in the campaign text. It was there right from the start, in bold text.

Eddie
    You're quite right Eddie, the shipping arrangements and tax responsibility were all there, it was my presumption and haste to secure the initial offer and my failure to read through the terms fully.

Journeyman
    Pledged, for a black 60 min bezel. If some more funds show up in the next couple weeks will be in for a blue (or silver) 12 hour bezel, both no-date. Really like the look of this one, and already have their 6BB chrono, so I'm pretty enthusiastic. (And I am getting my blue or silver diver fix now so I can go for the yellow Caribbean later this year.)

I'm in the US so we pretty much run the risk of getting hit with an import tax on any watch coming in from oversees; sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. It's not 20% though, that is awfully high. Seems to me it was on the KS page, but I am presuming people thought British company, British assembled watch, and no import duty. And y'all have the VAT on top of that, so if that applies to a watch coming in from outside the EU, in addition to the import duty, you are getting hit twice.

It's a nice deal at this price for those of us in the US (don't know about the rest of the EU, or Asia) so I'm still hopeful it will fund.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Regards the import fees....seems they don't use a courier service for shipping so this improves (if you like) the chances of slipping through the import fees net. For instance,ive recently taken delivery of three similarly priced items from Australia which were all sent Australia Post. Two arrived without fuss,one attracted an import fee.

I am going to do an unashamed bump on this, to keep it in people's minds.
    The funding is picking up in speed again after a brief slowdown, and (as a backer) I am very keen to get this deserved project over the line, funded, and into production.
    The world needs independents like Ewan (and like Eddie, our host) to succeed, especially if they are British. Time to vote with your wallets.

As a classic, modest-sized diver with several options available (5 dials with date and no-date in 3 colours, and 3 bezels), including a sapphire lumed bezel, and supplied on a multi-link bracelet with a rubber strap too, this represents great value. As 6BB owners will attest, Ewan knows how to do this, so there is every reason to subscribe, imho.

Dave

I've pledged - my 6BB gets regular wear and it's a really handsome thing IMO. The whole shipping "thing" strikes me as a storm in a teacup, as others have said, all the information was there, and the early bird deals are still good value given the likely quality of the end product.

PS - blue dial, no date for me. I'm a sucker for sunburst...

I'm not in the market for the 71 but I would like to congratulate Ewan on putting this impressive watch together, especially in regards to the dial, date and bezel options - which will give you precisely the watch you want. Much success!

I wonder, is that bracelet is the kind of thing that lots of people admire, but rather fewer people want to pay for and live with? (Or am I merely expressing my own taste in bracelets?)

If I was them, I would have called the 39.5mm case "40mm", as there's a fat slice of the market that only buys watches whose diameters start with a "4".

I hope they get over the line, it's a good-looking watch.

I really like this

Good luck Ewan!

I must say I'm a bit surprised that this isn't nearer the required funding or,indeed,overfunded.
    £59k of the £75k needed with just 12 days to go.
    I wonder if the shipping and possible customs charges have put a spanner in the works?
    Anyway,fingers crossed as I would really like to see this happen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I must say I'm a bit surprised that this isn't nearer the required funding or,indeed,overfunded.
    £59k of the £75k needed with just 12 days to go.
    I wonder if the shipping and possible customs charges have put a spanner in the works?
    Anyway,fingers crossed as I would really like to see this happen.
    Indeed - but others are struggling to - must be the time of year!?

Link too Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t&term=newmark if anyone else fancies giving help to a fledgling British Brand and get a fantastic watch in return 🙂

Apprentice
    To follow-up, the final date for the kickstarter campaign is July 16 so you will need to back before then if you want one.

Master
    The Blue Dial looks stunning in this Video

Master
    Great to see that its now got funding of £63k and the number of backers has increased by 10 over the weekend. If that's sustained it will do it

A link to Kickstarter if anyone is interested ��

http://https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/569227021/newmark-71-a-classic-british-vintage-dive-watch-reissue/description
    Last edited by KAS118; 7th July 2019 at 15:11.

....and you heard it first here, silver no date version now available, not a stretch goal ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ewan.w View Post
    ....and you heard it first here, silver no date version now available, not a stretch goal ;-)

Excellent.......assuming the watch is fully funded I think I now know which option I will be choosing!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It was good to read that he'll be over at the manufacturers at shipping time, so that the QC will still be in-house, despite the watches not being shipped from the UK

A bit late....

Pledged!

I’ve been sat with the kickstarter page open on my iPad all week but finally got around to making a pledge. Hope there’s a flurry of similarly disorganised people about to do the same, as this really does look to be a fantastic watch, which deserves to be a success.

Plus, it’s pretty much the perfect watch for me. Something that I’ve been looking for over recent months but struggled to find. Crossing everything....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    The Blue Dial looks stunning in this Video

That's the one that got my card out!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

^^ yeah that's the one that hooked me too.
    Really hope this gets funded.

This also looks like good news too:

Potential to not have to pay import duty for EU & UK.
    Hopefully this will swing it for a few on the fence

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    This also looks like good news too:

Hopefully this will swing it for a few on the fence

It'll be Special Delivery for the UK rabble Chris ;-)

Blog Entries
    Should keep some happy with UK shipping. Fingers crossed.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I am pedantic...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    It would be VAT, not Duty; they are different things. Customs Duty is not general payable on single watch imports in practice but VAT is payable.

As an aside, why were people upset about having watches shipped from the far east? In my experience, anything coming from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, or Indonesia always comes through without being charged VAT. This largely seems to be due to the populations of those countries seemingly being committed to writing largely fictional prose on C11 forms.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes, I am pedantic...

It would be VAT, not Duty; they are different things. Customs Duty is not general payable on single watch imports in practice but VAT is payable.

As an aside, why were people upset about having watches shipped from the far east? In my experience, anything coming from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, or Indonesia always comes through without being charged VAT. This largely seems to be due to the populations of those countries seemingly being committed to writing largely fictional prose on C11 forms.
    SSSSsssssshhhhhhhhh.........

Craftsman
    Tempted now with UK shipping I'm off to watch some YouTube

I've been dithering about this for weeks, but finally, it was the shipping from Asia bit that decided for me. It had to be 'no'. Now that has gone, I am happy to pledge and I have asked my son if he wants one for Christmas (so I'll buy another pledge) and asked a friend if he fancies getting one as well... though I'm not buying him one!

Ooh - within £10k! Here’s hoping...