closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musings: SMITHS EVEREST PRS-25 - 36MM

Journeyman

Musings: SMITHS EVEREST PRS-25 - 36MM

I have had my Everest for about 10 days now. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Overall very happy with purchase, glad I was able to get it ordered. Being in the US wasn't sure I had chance, I was up since 5:30am and got my order in and about 4 minutes past the hour store was showing sold out! Glad Eddie and his business is thriving even in these difficult COVID times.

Fit and finish are good for price point, under loupe the hands could be just a little more refined but like I said, overall very happy with it. The crown is a bit stiff when screwing in. Not sure if that will get better with time or worse. Accuracy seems good. I have timed it at +5 seconds per day. Not too bad in my book.

The OEM bracelet looks great! But I ended up changing it or trying on a few different ones. See pictures below. I was surprised by the quality of the OEM, but just a bit too thick and heavy for the look I was going for. I wanted it slightly thinner to have a more vintage look. Right now I am wearing on the last few pictures you see below, it is a very old folded Seiko bracelet. Ends links fit pretty well. Nice and tight and no rattle. Well very little, all these old folded ones make some noise but to me thats part of the appeal.
    Watch head/case is spot on in terms of the look. Just a bit heavier that I think should be but thats not a deal breaker. Weights in at 51.6 grams. But like I said, only about a gram or two more than ideal.

Ultimately it has the look I want and now on the vintage bracelet gives me that vintage vibe I was aiming for with this piece. Has a nice spot in my humble collection. Here it is to compare size wise to some of my other watches.

Journeyman
    Pics

Fantastic collection and excellent photos. The Everest fits right in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lloks good on that old seiko strap!

Journeyman
    Thanks. And so comfortable since so thin and light and much better articulation.

Craftsman
    The Everest looks great...but that SM300...Wow.

Is that the Watchco version?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    The Everest looks great...but that SM300...Wow.

Is that the Watchco version?
    Yes new OEM parts but movement is from original 300. Movement was serviced. Runs perfect.

[mention]mario24601 [/mention] How does the Smiths compare to the Zeno?

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Also curious on your thoughts on this. Have heard the Zeno with the AS5206 (as opposed to the miyota) is a rather chunky watch. Which version do you own?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    The text of dial balance looks better on Zeno. I like thinness if Smiths better. Movements are both good but Zeno is Swiss so in kind that takes a win. Zeno is a little lighter which I like. Probably due to acrylic, which I like but you have to be more careful. Overall both are great. I will probably end up selling one but don’t know which yet.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    Also curious on your thoughts on this. Have heard the Zeno with the AS5206 (as opposed to the miyota) is a rather chunky watch. Which version do you own?
    Yes mine AS version. It’s 14mm

Journeyman

Couple pics from today, still in honeymoon phase.

Amazing collection! I'm impressed - the BoR bracelet looks cool too

Quote Originally Posted by mario24601 View Post
    Yes mine AS version. It’s 14mm
    How do you find the performance to be? Does it have a ghost date position on the stem?

Craftsman
    Great collection - I think a Watchco would be bit of a grail for me.

On the Everest, I'm always struck by how much its horizontal symmetry would be improved if the word 'Everest' were to be printed the same colour as the brand text.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post

On the Everest, I'm always struck by how much its horizontal symmetry would be improved if the word 'Everest' were to be printed the same colour as the brand text.
    Would have to see it to decide but I do like the Everest text as is. Saying that, the commando symmetry with the white text as the logo really does look 👌

Craftsman
    Would have to see it to decide but I do like the Everest text as is. Saying that, the commando symmetry with the white text as the logo really does look 
    Yup, and I was struck by the same improvement on the gilt Everest

Apprentice

yeah definitely, the "Everest" text in white would make it the perfect watch in my eyes

Since getting my Everest a few weeks back I haven't adjusted the time once. It gains a couple of seconds a day but I'm able to regulate this my leaving it crown up at night. Amazing.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Here we go again 😅

Personally, I would love a slightly smaller and more spaced EVEREST text, similar to how DE LUX looks like.

e.g. EVEREST

But I think it is an improvement anyway 👌

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Since getting my Everest a few weeks back I haven't adjusted the time once. It gains a couple of seconds a day but I'm able to regulate this my leaving it crown up at night. Amazing.
    What are the differences with this new revision? Besides the Everest text being white of course.

Quote Originally Posted by madsdrastrup View Post
    What are the differences with this new revision? Besides the Everest text being white of course.
    I think we are supposed to get the boobies crown logo on the crown, rather than the "S"

I am also hoping that the end-link design has changed their, so that there isn't a "plate" on each side.
    Hard to tell from the picture above.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    YES PLEASE

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    I think we are supposed to get the boobies crown logo on the crown, rather than the "S"

I am also hoping that the end-link design has changed their, so that there isn't a "plate" on each side.
    Hard to tell from the picture above.
    I agree, the endlinks would look better without those "plates" as you called them

Quote Originally Posted by cap_riccio View Post
    I agree, the endlinks would look better without those "plates" as you called them

If the measures on the image are at real scale, there are no faux plates on the end links anymore and the centre link is now bigger and hopefully has the same width as a classic oyster bracelet. We can dream...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    If the measures on the image are at real scale, there are no faux plates on the end links anymore and the centre link is now bigger and hopefully has the same width as a classic oyster bracelet. We can dream...
    I have an old image of the "project" of the gilt dial, and the endlinks on the image are the same as the image Eddie just posted, but in reality the endlinks have those faux plates

Journeyman

Agree. Should have printed it regular.

Journeyman

Eddie
    Eddie just saw this. Looks great! What about moving Everest to top and making Smiths non curve to pay tribute to 1016? Just a thought. 3 lines up top and one or two at bottom would be perfect.

Journeyman
    Yes has ghost date but not a huge deal. Accuracy is good, I would say about +4 secs per day. Ive been looking at both for some time now, honestly I cant say which one I like better. Each has pros and cons. I may up end selling both to fund an original explorer. I still have that itch.

How do you find the performance to be? Does it have a ghost date position on the stem?

Journeyman
    If this is the future of the Everest dial, I'm happy I bought a previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbio2 View Post
    If this is the future of the Everest dial, I'm happy I bought a previous version.
    I couldn’t agree more! I’m glad I’m not the only one that prefers the Everest as is without these new changes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by NickN024 View Post
    I couldn’t agree more! I’m glad I’m not the only one that prefers the Everest as is without these new changes.

what do you mean "these new changes"? The only thing different in the dial would be the white "EVEREST" text

I wish I were a youtuber and I could get one of these:

Journeyman
    Been back on this one. Going to post my Everest :( . Really unused, didn’t really wear it, only around the house. Making move to new Explorer.

Been back on this one. Going to post my Everest :( . Really unused, didn’t really wear it, only around the house. Making move to new Explorer.
    Would you be kind enough to give us your thoughts and reasons for why you decided the Zeno over the Everest?

Journeyman
    I prefer this bracelet over Everest.
    Can you just get the bracelet it self?

Craftsman

Eddie
    Only just spotted this.

'Finished'! 😊

Is this an announcement that the next batch will have this balanced text?

Craftsman
    I still prefer the first 36mm Everest ... all that ever needed was some tweaks on the hand length and a normal clasp (and the associated links that join to it) on the "Oyster" bracelet to replace the bulky ratcheting one.

Not too fussed on all the subsequent dial changes, fonts/logo etc, and the faux rivet stuff.

I'd order a set of the updated hands (lollipop more to centre on second hand, longer hour hand) in a heart beat if it was available to buy separately ...

Journeyman
    Would you be kind enough to give us your thoughts and reasons for why you decided the Zeno over the Everest?
    Both are great. Zeno feels more vintage. Probably due to AC movement and crystal. I keep going back on forth on my thoughts. Comes down to having too many watches. I think would be best to downsize and let someone enjoy the Smiths.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by billa84 View Post
    I prefer this bracelet over Everest.
    Can you just get the bracelet it self?
    Yeah this old Seiko bracelet is perfect. Very vintage look and feel.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I still prefer the first 36mm Everest ... all that ever needed was some tweaks on the hand length and a normal clasp (and the associated links that join to it) on the "Oyster" bracelet to replace the bulky ratcheting one.

Not too fussed on all the subsequent dial changes, fonts/logo etc, and the faux rivet stuff.

I'd order a set of the updated hands (lollipop more to centre on second hand, longer hour hand) in a heart beat if it was available to buy separately ...
    Im actually good with hands, think they look great!

Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    I wish I were a youtuber and I could get one of these:

Wow! Just saw this render and this is perfection! The font for the numerals is absolutely perfect! I love everything about mine, but I’d pick this one up immediately if it’s ever made.

Journeyman
    Hi all, so it is confirmed that everest printing will now be white going forward?

BTW, I haven't worn mine at all :( I was going to sell but can't get myself to post it...thinking I might regret selling it. Th zeno is great but also having something newer and with a sapphire crystal is more resilient day to day. What do you guys think, keep or sell?

Apprentice
    Hi all, so it is confirmed that everest printing will now be white going forward?
    I hope it is, I think it looks incredible!

... What do you guys think, keep or sell?
    If you don't know what to do, always sell... and you will soon find out. Anyway, if you regret it you can always get another one.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Craftsman

Eddie
    Now it's perfect, as I've hinted previously, having the text EVEREST in white now bring symmetry & balance to the dial making the overall look.

If this is going to end up a production model, then I will definitely be looking to add this to my existing PRS-25 that I picked up last year.

BTW, I haven't worn mine at all :( I was going to sell but can't get myself to post it...thinking I might regret selling it. Th zeno is great but also having something newer and with a sapphire crystal is more resilient day to day. What do you guys think, keep or sell?
    That's what's been hinted previously in this thread. It seems like they keep improving the everest with each iteration, so maybe flip it now and wait until we get one with a decent looking crystal

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Suits you sir

T.G.