closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: S.No. and Part No. for my SM Pro

Master

S.No. and Part No. for my SM Pro

Just about to send my SM Pro off for a service but before doing so the local centre wants to know things like the part number.

Can anyone help advise where these are on the case?

I have the original receipt/warranty docs at home but I was hoping to get it off today.

Thanks

Craftsman
    Unless i am missing something, surely they should not need to ask you for this information? They are the experts after all as they are goingto service your watch.

Do they mean the model number? Once more though is this not some-thing they, as the service centre should easily be able to ascertain?

Master
    Okay... tbh I've emailed them for details/pricing BUT I guessed they would come right back and ask for these details.... I was trying to get the details ready in anticipation. However if not needed then please ignore the post. On the other hand any excuse to post a piccy of my SMP.... my most favourite watch. :-)

Craftsman
    my SMPc of the same era model number is 2599.80.00 so I think the model number for yours will be 2220.80.00 if it is a 41 mm

yes nice watch, a timeless classic.
    Last edited by Carl.1; 10th January 2019 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    my SMPc of the same era model number is 2599.80.00 so I think the model number for yours will be 2220.80.00 if it is a 41 mm

yes nice watch, a timeless classic.
    Rather than a 2220.80.00 with a coax c2250 movement, I think the OP's watch may be a 2531.80.00 with the c1120. The hand shape and length may support my suggestion. In either case, the serial number should be on the back of the watch around or on one of its lugs.

The watch pictured looks like the smaller (36mm) variant to me, can the OP confirm?

The part number is not the same as the model number or the serial number, and there is no way to ascertain it from the outside of the watch.

If the OP can confirm the case size we might have a chance of identifying the part number (most likely requested by the repairer in case spares are needed).

Assuming this is the 36.25mm variant (which i believe it is - no lume plot at 3), then useful numbers to you are:

model reference: 2551.80.00
    Part (case) number: 168.1622 (inscribed on the inside of the case back)

As stated previously the serial number should be engraved on the rear of the 7 o'clock lug, although there's no reason why the repairer would need this in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Assuming this is the 36.25mm variant (which i believe it is - no lume plot at 3), then useful numbers to you are:

model reference: 2551.80.00
    Part (case) number: 168.1622 (inscribed on the inside of the case back)

As stated previously the serial number should be engraved on the rear of the 7 o'clock lug, although there's no reason why the repairer would need this in advance.
    Agreed - no lume by the date, and the look of the size from the pic, indicate 2551. Should be simple enough to service etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

The watch pictured looks like the smaller (36mm) variant to me, can the OP confirm?

The part number is not the same as the model number or the serial number, and there is no way to ascertain it from the outside of the watch.

If the OP can confirm the case size we might have a chance of identifying the part number (most likely requested by the repairer in case spares are needed).
    Oops (on my part)...you are quite right, seeing as there is no lume to the right of the date window. There was a blue dial 2551.80.00 (c1120) but that still doesn't look quite right as the OP's watch has truncated index markers to the right of the date window and what looks like a black dial.

Edit Another link: Omega 2551.80.00.
    Last edited by PickleB; 10th January 2019 at 16:40.

" but that still doesn't look quite right as the OP's watch has truncated index markers to the right of the date window and what looks like a black dial."

It's a reflection - and definitely a blue dial :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    " but that still doesn't look quite right as the OP's watch has truncated index markers to the right of the date window and what looks like a black dial."

It's a reflection - and definitely a blue dial :)
    You're right...thanks. When I enlarge the image can I see that the white points are indeed highlights on the dial's wave pattern and not indices. There are other highlights around the centre and elsewhere.

Grand Master
    Who are you sending it to? I’m surprised they’re requesting this info, if you say it’s a mid- size Seamaster pro tgat’s prior to the co-axial that should be enough. Movement will be an Omega 1120 (aka ETA 2892). i

Straightforward to service, but issues such as worn threads on the pendant tube can be a proble. On the full size it’s screwed in, on the mid-size it’s pressed and they don’t come out easily.

The cases, bezels and bracelets are more of a challenge than the movement on these!

Master
    Thanks for the help and knowledge. Yes there IS a S.No. on the back at 7 BUT it is so damn small I can't read it even with a magnifying light. We have a microscope in the building somewhere... I might try that later on. Still nothing back from the local Omega service centre (Hugh Rice in Hull). Is it possible to send your Omega direct to Omega for servicing?

Yes, you can send to the Omega Service Centre in Southampton. Or alternatively to Swiss Time Services.

Master
    Yes, you can send to the Omega Service Centre in Southampton. Or alternatively to Swiss Time Services.
    Sorry to pester but I can't find any mention of this option on their web site :-(

Contacted Swiss Time... they seem a little more clued up.

Yes it does look like the 2551.80.00.

I know the dealer that sold it to me said it was the one worn by Bond ;-)
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 11th January 2019 at 08:57.

That’s strange, but then I haven’t used the service in over a year I guess.

The contact I had with them was through southampton.customercare@uk.swatchgroup.com

I can only imagine it is still an option but worth checking. If requested they used to send out a helpful pack to make the job of getting your watch to them straight forward.

These details might be more up to date. Also there are plenty of threads on this forum from people that have used both Omega Service Centre Southampton and Swiss Time Services.

Master
    Thanks for all the pointers and assistance and sorry if there was a bit of 'raking over old ground'.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    and sorry if there was a bit of 'raking over old ground'.
    Was simply trying to direct you to some real life customer experiences

Master
    Reply back from Swiss Time within 45 mins and before 9am. Damn good service so far :-)

I'll send it off to them today.

Cheers

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Reply back from Swiss Time within 45 mins and before 9am. Damn good service so far :-)

I'll send it off to them today.

Cheers

Steve
    Update... serviced watch just arrived back! Looks good and it's now got hacking!! I didn't know it was supposed to have that... it wasn't there before so I assumed it wasn't on this particular model. So there must have been something broken/faulty before. As it happens I had a datejust with the exact same fault... quickly sorted by the repair man.

So, out of interest, what causes hacking to stop functioning?

Grand Master
    The hacking function is controlled by a small flat lever thet sits under the auto winding block, it engages on the sliding pinion and when the crown is set ino handsetting the lever pivots and contacts the balance rim, thus stopping the movement from running.

This part never breaks or fails, but its all too easy to forget to fit it. I’ve done it myself, the auto- winding block gets fitted as the final part of assembling the movement ( usually after casing the watch up and testing the movement) and the hacking lever is sat there in the parts tray looking at you.

ETA 2892 is a very straightforward movement but there are a couple of points to be aware of to ensure all goes well..........forgetting to fit this part is one of them.

Master
    Strange.... so the watch has only ever been serviced by Omega, admittedly the last service was a decade ago. So the evidence is this wasn't done at the last service? A strange one.

Grand Master
    The only way I can see that the hacking fails is if the lever is left out, and believe me its easy to do. When you check the hacking, it doesn’t hack, then you spot the little part that you’ve left out..........after the appropriate expletive the auto-winding comes off again, the mainspring gets powered down, the little lever is fitted in place and the auto- winding bridge is refitted!

Years ago, before I became skilled in the art myself, I had an Omega SMP serviced and it came back with the hacking not working.......same problem!

Sometimes this part gets misplaced when the auto winding block is taken off, after doing a few of these you learn to remember it’s there. It’s one of the odd things about the 2892.