closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's cooking Christmas dinner this year?

Master
    Blog Entries

Who's cooking Christmas dinner this year?

Any members taking the helm in the kitchen for Christmas Day?
    I'm cooking for 16. Can't wait!

Master
    Only 6 here, but I’m cooking. Apparently I am better at making sure everything comes together at the critical point. Must be the project manager background

The good aspect is that I can delegate boring stuff like peeling to the minions.

Pete

Master
    20 coming to ours, but wife and MIL are doing the lions share of the cooking. I’m doing the ham, and keeping glasses topped up

Master
    We’ve got 21 this year. We tend to rotate every year and make it simple. We do the starter, cook the meats, potatoes, stuffing and gravy etc. Two families bring the veg and one the desserts.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nope. A rest year for me, after 15 years on duty. Very, very much looking forward go it.

I'm catering for 14 on Boxing Day. Mainly cold buffet but with a roast chine of beef, sticky belly pork and jerk grilled prawns.

Christmas day is just me and the missus. No frills.

Sadly my wife's eyesight problems mean that I will be on bacteria-killing duties this year. We have two guests - I wonder if they know what they have let themselves in for.
    Sunday is mince pie day; I really enjoy making them, as the act of crumbing the fat and flour is wonderful for cleaning all the ingrained oil and dirt from my mechanic's hands.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Me. It's always me.
    The trade off is other people do the washing up.

Moi, as always.

Love doing it - few glasses of wine along the way.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Me this year, for 7. Can’t even imagine doing 16 or 20. That’s hard core.

Me! I do all the cooking all week anyway so I'm used to it, and enjoy it.

This is our year off from other family so just the four of us. Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs breakfast, walk in the forest for a couple of hours, get back home and let the festivities commence

Me. For 10. Love it !
    F.T.F.A.

Cooking for 5 here, having turkey for the first time in years.

Master
    I will be cooking for 8 this year - Beef Wellington for most and salmon for the veggies 😄

Son & daughter in Law cooking Xmas dinner for us up in Low Fell 🍻🎅

My sister and her husband this year whilst I entertain my niece (13) and nephew (12) which is always great fun.

Craftsman
    Yep, cook every Christmas, just like my Dad did.

However, I'm usually 10 sheets to the wind by 10am just to get through the hours with the in-laws

Master
    Going to a restaurant for Christmas Dinner this year, for the first time.

I’m at the helm again this year. Have been now for about the last 5 years, but I enjoy it and am happy to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    21 at ours
    Leave my wife to do it as I can't bring it together for that number-could maybe manage 8 tops.
    Soup course getting done by bil and a couple of sweets from others.
    Massive shopping list to get through over next few days though i got the alcohol last weekend.

I'm on my own for xmas this year as wife and son will be overseas so I'll probably get an Indian takeaway the night before and reheat it xmas day. I'm not a big fan of the main xmas meal anyway although I do like a buffet spread, hams etc so I may get some of that in

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The restaurant cook.

Only yesterday, my wife and I were contemplating our previous Christmas 'whereabouts' since we met. We had Christmas at home only twice: when the boys were very, very small (<4 and later <2 months old). All other Christmas-'events' we spent with my in-laws in Ft Myers (Florida). This year will be a little different. But still, we won't be dining at home.

Menno

I've always done all the cooking in our house but this year Christmas is cancelled, as a fortnight ago I had an accident with a Stanley knife that severed a tendon in my thumb which necessitated micro-surgery and the fitting of a plaster cast to my hand and arm which has left me somewhat incapacitated, to say the least !

My wife needs a recipe book to boil an egg, badly, and we have long ago given up trying to co-operate in the kitchen so this year Christmas will be .... minimal. It doesn't make life any easier that we live a good way from any shops too and obviously I'm unable to drive and my wife doesn't drive either as her driving is marginally worse than her cooking....

So, this Christmas will be an experience. I doubt a good one but an experience nonetheless

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I will be cooking duck this year, and a good haunch of fallow venison to pick at.

Seven of us on Christmas day. I will be on duty doing Turkey and ham, both with bread sauce of course. Then left overs on boxing day for five. Always prefer boxing day left overs with all the pickles and mustards you can throw at it :-)

Master
    Still to be decided. A small one this year. If it's me will be duck, if it's my wife turkey. We will have the other bird on New Year's Day.

I have a lovely recipe for duck, where you stuff the bird with mashed potatoes and then as it is resting make a potato pancake from the stuffing, cooking it in duck fat. Delicious.

Master
    If cooking is an activity that goes on in the kitchen then I’m banned - thankfully.

Master
    Hotel restaurant with the in-laws this year. This will be the first time eating out at Christmas, and expecting the worst to be honest.

Restaurant vegetarian option and no alcohol. Deep joy.

Cooking for 12, no turkey! Doing a honey mustard ham joint, beef joint and chicken. Then lots of trimmings. Looking forward to cooking it all on the day, apart from the Ham will do that the day before. For the ham I cook it in a oven bag with a full jar of honey, mustard and black pepper, slow cook on a low heat for 4 hours then a high for an hour. Let cool then cut up and pour the left over juices over the meat and let to further cool. Tastes amazing.

Craftsman
    Doing all the cooking for 8 from the 23rd to 26th, including 12 on 25th........ wouldn't have it any other way :)

Happy Christmas everyone :)

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Cooking for 12, no turkey! Doing a honey mustard ham joint, beef joint and chicken. Then lots of trimmings. Looking forward to cooking it all on the day, apart from the Ham will do that the day before. For the ham I cook it in a oven bag with a full jar of honey, mustard and black pepper, slow cook on a low heat for 4 hours then a high for an hour. Let cool then cut up and pour the left over juices over the meat and let to further cool. Tastes amazing.
    I think I'll try that.

I generally boil the ham with a handful of sugar first for around 40 minutes. This removes a lot of the saltiness, which the family don't like.

People have wives that do cooking? I thought women were limited to baking these days?

Craftsman
    Last five years we’ve had dinner on the beach but we’re at home this year as have a 10month old puppy to content with.

Cooking dinner for 2 so theoretically should be simple. Only going for a Turkey crown as a full bird will likely go to waste e.g. the dog !

Always fancied cooking a ham (to pick at over the days after) and may give the above recipe a try.

The chance of anyone else doing the cooking in this house would be a fine thing
    I can count the number of meals prepared by my better half for me in 2019 on one hand
    D

Craftsman
    I am always in the hot seat for Xmas dinner.
    Only 3 around the table. But by the time Mrs SiSetts stops buying food I could cook for alot more!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As with previous years it's Team effort cooking for around 10 folks. If the weather stays good I'll smoke the Rib of Beef and Turkey, which frees up the other ovens for veggies and other bits. I'll also prepare the gravy with the drippings.

In two minds how to do the beef this year. Might separate the bone and meat and roll it, keeping the bones for stock. Or just do the whole thing bone in for that presentation effect.

Master
    I will be doing the cooking once I arrive at my sisters, who always wants to host but never cooks, just as well as she could ruin cereal.

Will be leaving turkey behind this year & cooking a 5 rib of beef. Annoyingly i would rather be cooking it on my Egg at home for extra flavour. Going for a low & slow on the beef this time, great day to experiment!

Master
    It'll be me.... SWMBO can't cope with judging cooking times or how to juggle the oven. For example she likes to cook the turkey the day before (I like it on the day) and the veg gets cooked a either couple of hours before then reheated and/or boiled to death on the hob :-( She laughs at my scribbled notes with timing plans but it means it all comes out piping hot and at the same time.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My ideal Xmas day meal, done it a few times in the past and it cant be beaten.

A shame your family is away though Ryan, at a time when you should be together.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm on my own for xmas this year as wife and son will be overseas so I'll probably get an Indian takeaway the night before and reheat it xmas day. I'm not a big fan of the main xmas meal anyway although I do like a buffet spread, hams etc so I may get some of that in

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Normally round my brothers but due to evil sister in law the wife and me will be round my mum and dads. I'll share the cooking with mum. Plan is ill do some Cullen skink and maybe port and Stilton on toast. Cockrel for main which mum will cook a d I've got to think of a pudding. I'm going to take a 1977 port as well. Really looking forward to it.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

We're old school.

Wife does it all whilst I lounge around - as it should be.

I wouldn't have clue!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    I'll be doing a big fillet of beef on the Big Green Egg while Mrs B does the other bits.

In the past we have experimented with a reheated curry which was ok & a 5 Bird Roast from Aldi which went down the dogs throats as it was vile!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    I'll be doing a big fillet of beef on the Big Green Egg while Mrs B does the other bits.

In the past we have experimented with a reheated curry which was ok & a 5 Bird Roast from Aldi which went down the dogs throats as it was vile!
    Jealous yours is being done on the egg.

I’ve had the 5 bird roast before, but we don’t have dogs, so it went to waste. I agree with your review entirely.

Joint effort here. I do all the prep, including the stuffing and SWIMO does the actual cooking, I then do the craving, and we both do the tidying of the kitchen.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I’ve done the honours for as long as we’ve been together, turkey crown for 3 and a home made mushroom and chestnut wellington for us 3 vegetarians, all the trimmings obviously.
    Usually have a bottle of something nice on the go to help me with my Keith Floyd impression.

Me, I hope.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Me, as always. Otherwise it would all be pre-prepared supermarket junk. Going for goose for the first time this year and hoping for enough fat for perfect roasties throughout January.

Master
    After a break of 2 years, I'm cooking again this year. 6 this year, as usual.

Being a fussy git, I prefer it that way and no-one else seems to complain, at least to me!

In saying all of that, our 1st grand-daughter's arrival is imminent, so it could all be up in the air at any minute :-)

Master
    I'm cooking for 7, possibly 8 this year. Traditional turkey and trimmings all down to me. once everything is served up and I sit down, that's me done, from that point on it's gin and TV. The kitchen fallout is someone else's problem. lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    After a break of 2 years, I'm cooking again this year. 6 this year, as usual.

Being a fussy git, I prefer it that way and no-one else seems to complain, at least to me!

In saying all of that, our 1st grand-daughter's arrival is imminent, so it could all be up in the air at any minute :-)
    An excellent Christmas bonus with the potential timings! Congratulations in advance & screw the turkey with trimmings!