closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anti (new) Rolex thread

Master

The Anti (new) Rolex thread

is anyone becoming sick and tired of all this Rolex mystique - the more I read and find out - the more I'm put of Rolex

an article from 2016

"The Rolex Daytona is the Hottest Watch That Money Can’t Buy"

To some dealers, even two years seems optimistic. Mr. Albers said the wait could reach five years.

“Managing expectations is a challenge,” said Mr. Albers, who is considering engraving the purchaser’s names on the back of each watch to discourage buyers only looking to resell for a profit. He is also considering setting aside a couple of Daytonas for loyal customers to borrow for a week, so they can at least “enjoy the newness.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/f...ona-watch.html

are the words "watch lovers" and Rolex becoming gradually more incompatible as each day goes by?
    Last edited by BillN; 26th January 2019 at 14:03.

I've had a few, I'm down to one, this is a watch forum so I suppose,, however there is a Rolex forum so personally I'd be nice if that's where the drivel gravitated to, but as I said this is a watch forum so I guess we have to take the rough with the smooth.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Not tired at all, but I get where you are coming from. I don't hate any brand as I always feel you should buy what you like. People get passionate about all sorts of things, I enjoy seeing people being happy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I've had a few, I'm down to one, this is a watch forum so I suppose,, however there is a Rolex forum so personally I'd be nice if that's where the drivel gravitated to, but as I said this is a watch forum so I guess we have to take the rough with the smooth.
    I think that this is also symptom of what I am talking about - the attitude towards anyone who wants to discuss Rolex in anything but a positive way - almost arrogant Rolex-esk, (if that's the correct spelling/word)

why would I want to frequent a Rolex Forum - I have only three Rolex, surely that's not enough to qualify... but I'm thinking of buying another

are AD's still withholding registration cards etc., for a year

I felt my posting is part of what "Watch Talk" is all about - discussing the negatives and positives of what has been posted
    Last edited by BillN; 26th January 2019 at 14:26.

Master
    If you don't like something, don't read about it. simple as that.

Grand Master
    I like some Rolex models but not others, but I do think there’s too much focus on the hard to get models that everyone sems to fawn over. Frankly, I think the GMT, Subs, Seadwellers and Daytona are awful, the older ones were OK but I see nothing appealing in the current line-up. One you look beyond these there are still some nice models in the range that I’d happily own, but thesedays I’m troubled by the high prices and the negative associations with Rolex, I don’t identify with having over £5k tied to much wrist for all to see. Some folks see Rolex ownership as aspirational, thesedays I’m well past that point.

As for the cult surrounding the vintage Subs etc..........I find it more amusing than admirable. An old Sub with a plexi glass, nice hands and dial, with a case in good condition is OK, but no more than ‘OK’ in my eyes and certainly not worthpaying daft money for.

These are the aspects of Rolex-itis that I tire of, the rest is OK. As for the Rolex forum, I don’t think I’d last long, I’m not a fan of one-brand forums even though they can be a useful source of knowlege.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you don't like something, don't read about it. simple as that.
    Always an option!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 26th January 2019 at 14:45.

Doesn't really bother me as I don't find any of their watches particularly appealing.

Yes, the Sub and Daytona are iconic watches, but neither appeals particularly to me and some of their other watches are, to my eye, truly awful.

The one I do quite like is the Milgaus, but not enough to consider paying the kind of money Rolex want for one, but if I had to have a Rolex, it would probably be one of those.

All the 'my AD' talk and frothing excitement about seeing a stainless steel watch in a far flung dealers window is either quite amusing or rather tiresome depending on how much I've read in the last few days and my general mood.

The answer, for me, is to generally ignore any post with Rolex or a series of numbers in the title.

On the other hand, if people think Rolexes are the greatest things around, fine, we can't all like the same thing and it would ne very dull if we did!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    My thread started with the words (new) Rolex and alluded to all that surrounds buying and owning one these days - all the hoops that you seem to now have to go through to get one - there are many? - (even if the AD has the watch "in stock" you cannot buy it on-line is a simple instance), as well as the usual.

I bought my first Rolex to wear in 2008 - a 16610, which up to a few months ago was my everyday watch - worn it all the time but was always careful - I bought the watch as I wanted a really good quality Sports watch on a Bracelet - and the 16610 fitted the bill and I could afford it and the price was "right" - I think my only regret with the watch is that I would have preferred the no-date - I'm retired and I only use the watch for telling the time .......... I have never had the watch serviced, in keeps good time, and there is hardly a mark on it.

I do find the situation confusing these days ...... the more I read the more I found buying a new SS model a strange and complicated process that I would not want to involve myself in ....... but obviously this is only my opinion.

(I read a thread on another (non-watch) forum and many said that they do not wear their new SS Rolex as they are just too valuable -being a non-watch forum I was surprised as I thought most would have bought them to wear)
    Last edited by BillN; 26th January 2019 at 15:05.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s the constant same thread about the same question that gets irksome.

When people keep going on about them non stop I can’t help remembering that naval divers took off the milsub and bought a Seiko diver from The NAAFI instead.
    I’ve always been about the item quality not the name.

Rolex and mystique are not two words I would readily associate together.

The most recognisable brand in the world - probably.

The most talked about - certainly.

There was a time when a Rolex on the wrist was a sign of quality, sometimes taste, undoubtedly a certain wealth.

Now? Well let's just say a Rolex on the wrist is certainly a quality pounds sign... albeit the price of entry to the club has increased as a proportion of income.

As for taste? Your dream may be another's nightmare.

I blame the Internet. Rolex probably thanks it.
    Last edited by gray; 26th January 2019 at 15:16.
    Gray

Master
    5 digit used models all the way over the new stuff. Much easier all round, and much better dimensions imo

Personally, I find the haters as tiresome as the fanboys. I’ve bought Rolex new, but much prefer to discuss less common watches.

Journeyman
    I think the commercial status for Rolex is very interesting. If they had the usual shareholder pressure for growth than it would be a very different situation. I bought my 1st recently and am on a "list" for a sub date and at no point has the retail experience been anything other then transactional at best.

In theory I should be purchasing something else but the reality is I really want a new sub....sorry I just do.

Things will change however god knows when and to what extent. Their commercial model isn't public along with any financial report so there is your mystique right there.

When Rolex Professional models were affordable & obtainable from ADs, I didn't want one.

Now they're unaffordable (to me) & unobtainable from ADs, I still don't want one.

I read most of the threads, although my reading is often accompanied by head-shaking at the banality/repetition of the content.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    When Rolex Professional models were affordable & obtainable from ADs, I didn't want one.

Now they're unaffordable (to me) & unobtainable from ADs, I still don't want one.

I read most of the threads, although my reading is often accompanied by head-shaking at the banality/repetition of the content.
    This.

I've noticed that almost half of the thread content is always people complaining about the thread content. THAT is tiresome, not bringing up the same watch subjects again.

Good thread.

I have 5-digit Rolexes and love them. I don't care for the 6-digits so the supply problem doesn't concern me in any shape or form. I wouldn't wear them for free.

Only got one now ,and yes I’d like a couple of others but I’m not willing to pay silly money as in 50% more for one. If they aren’t obtainable I’ll move on and buy something else,I really don’t get all the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So rare they won’t get one for years but got enough stock to “set a couple aside so regular customers can borrow them for a couple of weeks” lmao. Couldn’t make it up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

As for the cult surrounding the vintage Subs etc..........I find it more amusing than admirable. An old Sub with a plexi glass, nice hands and dial, with a case in good condition is OK, but no more than ‘OK’ in my eyes and certainly not worthpaying daft money for.

Always an option!
    Well what do you actually like then. Out of interest what is your favourite watch because its easy to knock.

I’d love to be able to buy the new Pepsi GMT, as it reminds me of both my old man’s first Rolex, a 16750 Pepsi on Jubilee, and my own now long gone 16750.

I love the dial of the new white ceramic Daytona, and I’d have always liked to try the BLNR GMT, as I was at Basel when it was launched and thought a) it looked great, and b) a blue for day and black for night GMT bezel made a lot of sense. I would also have added a black dial Sky-Dweller, and due to a cancellled business trip I had to let the one put aside for me go :(

No longer having a local Rolex AD has meant I’ve spent a lot of money in the last 2-3 years on other brands, when I would have preferred to buy a few of the above named Rolex models in the mix - but I’m damn sure my custom isn’t affecting the AD’s or Rolex, as they seem to be supplying enough numbers of those models (albeit indirectly for the most part) to the grey market than is needed.

I cant even get my name on a list, and as a collector I could care about the wait, as long as I know I’m going to be able to have the model in my collection at some stage - Rolex and AD’s should look to change their model a little to cater for their true enthusiasts. In the scene of things there can’t be a huge percentage of a Rolex buyers that have a large number of individual Rolex watch models, but they/we help to promote the brand much more than owners of a single model.

So... I’m slightly bitter that I can’t acquire some models that I’d like to
    It's just a matter of time...

What are we aiming for here? I predict 13 pages before this is moved to the Pit, several temporary bans for swearing, perhaps a permanent ban for the OP as his guard drops. We'll have accusations of racism before page 3. I see we've played the Seiko card already, we need Grand Seiko and Steinhart for full points.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    What are we aiming for here? I predict 13 pages before this is moved to the Pit, several temporary bans for swearing, perhaps a permanent ban for the OP as his guard drops. We'll have accusations of racism before page 3. I see we've played the Seiko card already, we need Grand Seiko and Steinhart for full points.
    what no mention of Brexit!!
    Last edited by BillN; 26th January 2019 at 17:28.

Aside from the phenomenal manufacturing excellence of Rolex watches (a quality shared by a few hundred other watch brands), I think Rolex has two attributes going for them in particular: brand recognition and cachet, and buyers for whom certain models command a strong desire.

As boys/men, our cravings can run deep, strong, and long-lasting. A downside to that can be some playground snobbery and competitiveness. What gives me a bad taste in my mouth is the apparently willingness of Rolex to milk this, and those two attributes I mentioned, for all they’re worth. The increasingly higher prices for essentially the same watches, and the apparent difficulty to buy them in some markets, seems very calculated and self-aggrandizing. That perception drives me away from the brand as it currently exists, while I still love the older, classic models.

Rather like Volkswagen. They could make the most amazing sports car for sale in the US, at a terrific bargain, but that catastrophically stupid decision to install software that “tricked” the turbo-diesels to pass pollution tests has destroyed the brand identity for me. You couldn’t pay me to drive one now.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Well what do you actually like then. Out of interest what is your favourite watch because its easy to knock.
    I own lots of vintage Omegas ( the tasteful stuff ) , a few modern ones (mid-90s to early noughties), a couple of Rolex Datejusts , a Zenith El Primero. A variety of steel, gold and bimetal, nothing over 40mm, can’t stand big chunky watches. Tasteful dress watches are more up my street than so-called tool watches, but I own a couple of divers and 3 chronographs......it’s called variety.

My favourite varies from week to week, some of my watches don’t come out often.

At one point I owned 5 Rolex, tgat’s now down to 2 but might be rising to 3 in the near future.

Has that satisfied you? Now it’s your turn, tell us what YOU own and like.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 26th January 2019 at 17:42.

I owned a few back in the late 90's early 2000's & liked them well enough. I still think they're ok but I wouldn't buy one now. I tend to like sports type Sub/GMT models & the larger cases/ceramic bezels just don't work for me. However If others like them fair enough. The older ones are nice but I personally don't like them enough to spend the money.

What would mainly put me off is all the Bull***t with AD's & having to act like they're doing you a favour to get one by putting you on some special list. You're paying serious coin for a watch, you should hand money over & get the damned thing & they should be nice about it, end of story. I'm now at an age where you treat me right or you can shove it, so even if they brought out one I really wanted, I'd never get a new one !

I do find it confusing that Rolex uses sports models in advertising and then when you walk into an AD to buy one they tell you to bugger off (or that you have to wait on a list for years or not at all). I might go and list a new sports Rolex on SC at list and then tell anyone who PMs about it that I don't actually have one but if they'd like to go on a waiting list I might be able to sell them one in five or six years time.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Regularly it’s the same old people popping up on these threads telling us how awful Rolex watches are nowadays or how Rolex are running their business badly etc etc. If I don’t like a brand I just don’t spend my time on it, yet people seem to want to overly express their negativity about Rolex. That’s fine, each to their own, but what a waste of time and energy.

Personally I think Rolex makes great watches and their business model is incredible. It’s one of the very few things in life you can buy, wear and enjoy and years down the road get your money back. Even make a profit on it. What else like that is out there? I can’t see any evidence that they’ve cut production, what’s actually happened is demand has soared five or ten fold and they for whatever reason either only want to make x amount or only can make x amount. It’s quite ironic really knocking their success, but then that’s life.

At least they haven’t got David Beckham modelling them yet. It’s actually put me off Tudor a bit.

Master

The Anti (new) Rolex thread

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I own lots of vintage Omegas ( the tasteful stuff ) , a few modern ones (mid-90s to early noughties), a couple of Rolex Datejusts , a Zenith El Primero. A variety of steel, gold and bimetal, nothing over 40mm, can’t stand big chunky watches. Tasteful dress watches are more up my street than so-called tool watches, but I own a couple of divers and 3 chronographs......it’s called variety.

My favourite varies from week to week, some of my watches don’t come out often.

At one point I owned 5 Rolex, tgat’s now down to 2 but might be rising to 3 in the near future.

Has that satisfied you? Now it’s your turn, tell us what YOU own and like.
    A nice selection, I’ve got a preference for vintage but I agree a variety is key. I don’t have any interest in most modern Rolex but I respect those do.

I also agree the price of some vintage is farcical, I wouldn’t be able to buy quite a few of my watches now. But, that isn’t a reason not to appreciate certain watches.

A couple I’m sure we both might be able to appreciate:)

Last edited by Rodder; 26th January 2019 at 18:05.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’d love to be able to buy the new Pepsi GMT, as it reminds me of both my old man’s first Rolex, a 16750 Pepsi on Jubilee, and my own now long gone 16750.

I love the dial of the new white ceramic Daytona, and I’d have always liked to try the BLNR GMT, as I was at Basel when it was launched and thought a) it looked great, and b) a blue for day and black for night GMT bezel made a lot of sense. I would also have added a black dial Sky-Dweller, and due to a cancellled business trip I had to let the one put aside for me go :(

No longer having a local Rolex AD has meant I’ve spent a lot of money in the last 2-3 years on other brands, when I would have preferred to buy a few of the above named Rolex models in the mix - but I’m damn sure my custom isn’t affecting the AD’s or Rolex, as they seem to be supplying enough numbers of those models (albeit indirectly for the most part) to the grey market than is needed.

I cant even get my name on a list, and as a collector I could care about the wait, as long as I know I’m going to be able to have the model in my collection at some stage - Rolex and AD’s should look to change their model a little to cater for their true enthusiasts. In the scene of things there can’t be a huge percentage of a Rolex buyers that have a large number of individual Rolex watch models, but they/we help to promote the brand much more than owners of a single model.

Well put Scott.
    Just to pick you up on one point. The blue dial SkyD is far nicer then the black.;)

Imagine if Meghan Markle was spotted by the Sun or Daily Mail wearing 116500. The morons would be rioting in the streets and besieging every known Rolex AD.

😂
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    The watches themselves are of very high quality and the guarantees, after sales, repair/servicing worldwide network is superb and give a the buyer piece of mind.
    There is too much waffle and bullshit surrounding the brand, which understandably will put many off. However the core product is very good

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Piece (sic) of mind?

Are owners of other brands troubled?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Well put Scott.
    Just to pick you up on one point. The blue dial SkyD is far nicer then the black.;)
    Cheers

The blue... it does look good, but I just like the black a lot more personally in this model. I think it's because the steel black dial remedied the only bit of the WG model that I would have liked to change (not that I would not love and wear the original WG version and be happy)- but as I already had arabics on my white gold Daytona I thought it would make a nice difference to wear - I will buy one at some stage :)

Thinking about it, I do have quite a few blue dial watches, but I still have a huge preference for black overall. The blues do actually stand out a lot more though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Pretty much sums it up for me too, Scott. I’m lucky enough to have some nice 4 and 5 digit Rolex models, but I want the new GMT and Daytona because I genuinely love the watches. I’ve been let down in terms of waiting lists and am certainly not going to go around begging ADs now. However, I’m not going to pay over the odds either.

Im a bit annoyed that those who just want to turn the watches for a profit seem to get multiples of everything, but I guess that’s the way it is now. It’s not made me a “hater” but I’ve certainly lost respect for the brand pretty much completely.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Regularly it’s the same old people popping up on these threads telling us how awful Rolex watches are nowadays or how Rolex are running their business badly etc etc. If I don’t like a brand I just don’t spend my time on it, yet people seem to want to overly express their negativity about Rolex. That’s fine, each to their own, but what a waste of time and energy.

Personally I think Rolex makes great watches and their business model is incredible. It’s one of the very few things in life you can buy, wear and enjoy and years down the road get your money back. Even make a profit on it. What else like that is out there? I can’t see any evidence that they’ve cut production, what’s actually happened is demand has soared five or ten fold and they for whatever reason either only want to make x amount or only can make x amount. It’s quite ironic really knocking their success, but then that’s life.
    So true.
    Most of these posts/threads are a cry for attention or sour grapes or a combination of the two.
    The oft repeated assertions about not caring for Rolex at all or not caring for six digit models or 'used to like them but not anymore', 'wouldn't wear one if paid for it',playing the Seiko card, complaints about the business model, identification of brand with some imaginary personality trait etc are all more of the same. Nothing wrong with any of the above but repeated assertions of the same old cliches on every Rolex thread from the same old group of people is churlish and tiresome. If you are indifferent to the charms of Rolex why are you drawn to every Rolex thread singing the same tired tune for the hundredth time. Stay away. They are just watches, not to be confused with lifestyle.
    At the other end are people who have turned the act of acquiring a particular Rolex model into a milestone or a major life event. The act of buying a watch should be a pleasant and a fulfilling experience not an angst ridden one. No need to hype it up or overthink or over analyse.
    Just watches.....
    Last edited by Watchfun1; 26th January 2019 at 19:28.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cheers

The blue... it does look good, but I just like the black a lot more personally in this model. I think it's because the steel black dial remedied the only bit of the WG model that I would have liked to change (not that I would not love and wear the original WG version and be happy)- but as I already had arabics on my white gold Daytona I thought it would make a nice difference to wear - I will buy one at some stage :)

Thinking about it, I do have quite a few blue dial watches, but I still have a huge preference for black overall. The blues do actually stand out a lot more though.
    See, told you.;)

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Imagine if Meghan Markle was spotted by the Sun or Daily Mail wearing 116500. The morons would be rioting in the streets and besieging every known Rolex AD.

😂
    What are you on about?

Master

I think the worse thing is if you’ve had a long standing relationship and then lost it because they’ve lost their AD. Sadly I see that happening more and more as I wonder whether the independents will survive long term. The boutique option will probably grow more and more.

Journeyman
    I'm really not attracted to any of the modern pieces. I'd still love a 36mm explorer however and some of the vintage bubblebacks are beautiful.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Pretty much sums it up for me too, Scott. I’m lucky enough to have some nice 4 and 5 digit Rolex models, but I want the new GMT and Daytona because I genuinely love the watches. I’ve been let down in terms of waiting lists and am certainly not going to go around begging ADs now. However, I’m not going to pay over the odds either.

Im a bit annoyed that those who just want to turn the watches for a profit seem to get multiples of everything, but I guess that’s the way it is now. It’s not made me a “hater” but I’ve certainly lost respect for the brand pretty much completely.
    Likewise Tony TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Expect supply to increase in the UK this year. Where main agents previously may have expected two or three Pepsi GMTs per year, it will in fact be perhaps four times that.

Not written in haste.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Expect supply to increase in the UK this year. Where main agents previously may have expected two or three Pepsi GMTs per year, it will in fact be perhaps four times that.

Not written in haste.
    Interesting Haywood, does that apply to Daytona’s and other hard to get watches?

For me Rolex is to to watches what Coke is to cola.

It is better and is the one that everyone aspires too.

Rolex is just too good a brand, and as a company they have been consistent and reliable throughout their history. No-one has been short changed or felt let down by Rolex (apart from the current can't buy one hype). Surely the knock on effect from their marketing and advertising effort has a huge benefit to other lesser, and especially the independent watch manufactures. They must contribute something to keeping the mechanical watch industry alive. In this day and age you would expect younger viewers to all be wearing digital technology from Apple and others, and to be turning their backs on old fashioned mechanical timepieces.

I agree that the modern watches have less appeal. I'm not a fan of shiny ceramic bezels, but accept they are practical. I can't wear larger watches, so again am limited and tend towards the older models.

I own one, which to the detriment of my other watches, is worn most frequently. It is the most uncomplicated watch I own. It was bought used and at a sensible price, without any of the AD hysteria. I love it. To be honest, it's so simple, if it didn't say Rolex on it, I probably wouldn't wear it so much. There's an admission. Of brand snobbery?? No different to any other expensive trinket (cars, handbags, cases, postcode, etc etc).

I have no guilt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Interesting Haywood, does that apply to Daytona’s and other hard to get watches?
    To a number, I believe, but not sure about the Paytona.

Obviously expecting some slight tweaks and changes to movements / possible bezels on GMTs at Basel as well.

Master
    To a number, I believe, but not sure about the Paytona.

Obviously expecting some slight tweaks and changes to movements / possible bezels on GMTs at Basel as well.
    Thanks. I’ve seen a few coke gmt pictures on the jubilee Flying around the Internet, so I’d imagine that’s one change. Yes they could be fake, but in January 2016 the black and white Daytona pictures were about as well.

Craftsman

Not written in haste.
    What makes you say this Haywood? It would be nice to see more supply as it would take away some of the unpleasantness of obtaining a new Rolex referred to in this thread!

My main gripe is the extended waiting lists for enthusiasts who don’t want to flip but want to own and enjoy them... I’ve been waiting for a SD50 for approx 18 months now and have seriously been considering going vintage instead. I popped into the AD today and was ‘quietly assured’ that I should be lucky this year as things were expected to pick up... whatever that means?

Fingers crossed folks...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    What makes you say this Haywood? It would be nice to see more supply as it would take away some of the unpleasantness of obtaining a new Rolex referred to in this thread!
    Trusted contacts.

Craftsman
    Trusted contacts.
    Hmm, mysterious! Hope you are right. I might actually stand a chance of obtaining a new Pepsi.....