closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone own, had or driven Audi A8?

Anyone own, had or driven Audi A8?

Just picking some brains if I could.

Does anyone already own an Audi A8 or has in the past ?

I’m ready for a change in vehicle and it’s a model I’ve looked at from afar in the past.

I’ve my eye on a 2014 Audi A8 3.0 Tdi Quattro and seriously tempted.

Just wanted to gather any extra info. Pros and cons from any of you fine people ...

Cheers

F

Had a 4.2 quattro many moons ago, thought it was well ahead of the competition at the time, no issues spring to mind.
    For disclosure I've worked for Audi, Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes, and run pretty much all the big stuff, out of the German offerings the A8 would be my choice.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Audi Coventry loaned me a silver A8 with 2,000 miles on the clock(Yes, I was surprised too!)over a weekend last year whilst my A4Q was being serviced. Very comfortable and well fitted out with all the toys you could want. Very smooth to drive, just glides everywhere and although it does not feel that big when you are behind the wheel, parking it in the miserably narrow bays we have in this country was a pain in the arse! Great car for bargain money but will be expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    parking it in the miserably narrow bays we have in this country was a pain in the arse! Great car for bargain money but will be expensive to maintain.
    Those were a couple of things which crossed my mind.

It’s actually a few mm less in width than my current Volvo estate , which surprised me. The A8 is a few mm longer than the Volvo estate. Which also surprised me!

You’re right about potential maintenances.. whilst they can be picked up for £20-£30k it’s still a £70k car with associated parts I suppose.

I think a bonus for me is that I only do about 10,000 per year and the A8 I’m looking at only has 30,000 miles on the clock. So I’m hoping a few years of trouble free motoring.

My Volvo has just over 100,000 and I would have been looking at a CamBelt replacement soon.

Craftsman
    I drove a 3.0TDI version for 5 years. Picked it up at 35K miles and added approx 70K in those 5 years.

If you like big saloons as I do then this is a mega car. No major issues in those 5 years apart from niggly electrical issues with the door locks (common problem) and in the end I replaced them all at about £300/door and another issue with one of the rear electronic parking brakes. Again for a good indy who stripped the calibre down, cleaned and greased. One but of advice do go near Audi to fix these type of issues unless you have a cast-iron warranty.

Overall I found the car a great drive leaning more to a sporty feel than my current car, an S-class. On a run averaged just over 40mpg. You quickly get used to its size and parking not really much more difficult than any saloon.

Definitely would get another one.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Definitely would get another one.

Jake
    Good post Jake with some great insight. Thanks for the tips mate

There was a lovely white a8 for sale in here a while ago
    Beauty

I'm currently on my fourth A8 (a 2016 S8) and have previously owned the 3.0TDI.

They are great cars, and excellent value for money used. There's lots of space, plenty of toys and they just waft away the miles in all weathers. Very comfortable and easy to drive and you get out after any journey feeling good. I've covered about 300k miles in them and haven't had any major mechanical problems. You can extend the warranty which may prove worthwhile but I think it needs to stay with dealer servicing for that. I also like the fact that it's very discreet (even the S8 which is probably the most "flash" doesn't draw attention at all in the way that, say, the RS6 does) and for me that's a very good thing.

There are a few cons - servicing and parts are expensive, the bodywork is aluminium so dings can be costly to fix and the size of them can make them a little tricky to park and manoeuvre in the UK. Sometimes the ride can be a little firm on our knackered roads although most have air suspension which has different settings. I've had more squeaks and rattles from trim than I would have expected in this type of car and Audi dealers are in my experience uniformly appalling.

In between the A8s I've had a few Mercs, BMWs, Jag, etc. but I keep coming back to the A8 as overall it's the best proposition for me. Really terrific cars and if you get a good one you'll love it.

We have a 2011 4.2TDi, bought it in late 2015 coming out of an M5 as a family car. Its been a good reliable car for us, obviously a different car entirely to an M5 but satisfying in a wafty kind of way. I had always intended having the car mapped to 400hp/1000Nm but just never got around to it.

We are selling ours now as we just don't need a big car any longer. One word of advice when buying, hold out for a well-optioned car. Ours was 97k OTR and is a vastly different machine to a standard A8 with few options. You will have a more luxurious car and an easier resell when you are done with it too.

Cheers Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    I'm currently on my fourth A8 (a 2016 S8) and have previously owned the 3.0TDI.

Really terrific cars and if you get a good one you'll love it.
    Thanks mate for the post and advice

You’re welcome, good luck!

I’ve had two, both an A8 and an S8, however they were both petrol and mid-2000’s build so I can’t add much other than to say they were both highly impressive in their build quality, ride and reliability.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Drove a brand new A8 for a few days recently, car was ok but the touch screens were a nightmare
    Last edited by adrianw; 28th April 2018 at 12:34.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Russian Mafia been known to use Audi A8s/S8s so must be GOOD!

I had a 2011 3.0 tfsi A8 for just under a year. Absolutely loved it.

Try and go for the comfort seats if you can or the comfort sport with the diamond quilted leather. Both seats are head and shoulders above the standard ones for comfort. Specwise go for SE Exec or above as this includes keyless entry and rear view camera amongst other things.

With the introduction of the D5, prices of D4s should have softened by now?

- - - Updated - - -

Tidybeard! Did I sell you my tyres?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I had a 2011 3.0 tfsi A8 for just under a year. Absolutely loved it.

Try and go for the comfort seats if you can or the comfort sport with the diamond quilted leather. Both seats are head and shoulders above the standard ones for comfort. Specwise go for SE Exec or above as this includes keyless entry and rear view camera amongst other things.

With the introduction of the D5, prices of D4s should have softened by now?

- - - Updated - - -

Tidybeard! Did I sell you my tyres?
    Yep :-)