closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 45 of 352 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,250 of 17581

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Bloody hell. How much is your insurance on the triple?
    Put it this way - it went up by £700 when I changed bikes!!!

I thought you were after a Diavel Tony?

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I thought you were after a Diavel Tony?

I was going down that route. The truth is, though, that I’m not riding the highways out in California. I’m based in London, and it just wouldn’t be the right bike for this environment... I’d never get out of second gear!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I was going down that route. The truth is, though, that I’m not riding the highways out in California. I’m based in London, and it just wouldn’t be the right bike for this environment... I’d never get out of second gear!
    ...the perfect opportunity to organise another TZ bikers ride out

Master
    Just got back from 170 miles around N Wales on the Diavel.....Sunshine, empty roads, lunch by the beach near Abersoch, over the Llanberis Pass to Betwys-y-Coed, cream tea, back to Bala and then home in time for tea.👍👍

There’s a big smile behind that visor....🤪🤪🤡

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    ...the perfect opportunity to organise another TZ bikers ride out

Maybe I will, or maybe someone else will step up

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Just got back from 170 miles around N Wales on the Diavel.....Sunshine, empty roads, lunch by the beach near Abersoch, over the Llanberis Pass to Betwys-y-Coed, cream tea, back to Bala and then home in time for tea.

There’s a big smile behind that visor....浪浪嵐

I just landed in Weymouth,last minute decision when the weather report said 3 days of sun.
    Booked an airbandb this morning threw some stuff in my givi panniers and set of on the back roads.
    A303 for a short bit past Stonehenge had heavy traffic,but mostly clear the A338 out of Wantage was sublime.
    I also had a lot of insects helmet and bike.
    Tomorrow I vist the Bovington tank museum.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Just got back from 170 miles around N Wales on the Diavel.....Sunshine, empty roads, lunch by the beach near Abersoch, over the Llanberis Pass to Betwys-y-Coed, cream tea, back to Bala and then home in time for tea.

There’s a big smile behind that visor....🤪🤪🤡

There was a few of us out week yesterday round that neck of the woods Enoch. Me on me ickle Striple, S1000RR, a new 1260s Diavel, XDiavel s and two on multistradas. We went from Warrington to Barmouth via Mold, Ruthin and Bala. Couple of stops for a stretch n coffee on the way, dinner at a pub near Shell Island. Back over the tops via Blaneau and into Betws Y Coed. Another stop for fuel and coffee then a quick blast home. Probably about 250 miles all in and some fantastic tarmac to be abused on that route.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    There was a few of us out week yesterday round that neck of the woods Enoch. Me on me ickle Striple, S1000RR, a new 1260s Diavel, XDiavel s and two on multistradas. We went from Warrington to Barmouth via Mold, Ruthin and Bala. Couple of stops for a stretch n coffee on the way, dinner at a pub near Shell Island. Back over the tops via Blaneau and into Betws Y Coed. Another stop for fuel and coffee then a quick blast home. Probably about 250 miles all in and some fantastic tarmac to be abused on that route.

Stuart

That sounds like a decent day out, Stuart. How did you find the bike after a few hours in the saddle?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Put it this way - it went up by £700 when I changed bikes!!!
    Tony, be sure to let your putative insurer know about the bike’s mods. In particular the repaint. Many insurers have a hissy fit, as the notional cost of a replacement tank painted to fit is prohibitively expensive. I speak from experience. My ScramblerX has a £2k, original cost by a Motorrad paint shop, paint job. This adds 20% to the bike’s value.
    Last edited by Skyman; 13th May 2019 at 20:18.

That sounds like a decent day out, Stuart. How did you find the bike after a few hours in the saddle?
    It was fine Tony. We do Warrington to Bala then stop there for a brew. The road from Bala to Barmouth is just sublime for the most so that flies by very fast. Pub dinner in Barmouth, stop for about an hour or so. Onto Betws Y Coed, again tarmac designed to be abused so flies by, another coffee stop. Then home.

I think the secret is to stop BEFORE you start getting fatigued or whatever, and have a good bit of banter then. The distance is no problem on the Striple. On my S1000RR it wasnt an issue either, but the Striple is so SO much more enjoyable to ride, for me anyways. Think it also helps having intercoms so you can chat with the other lads as well as you ride. They are a real game changer imo.

Stuart

Just to add, my insurers have confirmed that an R9T would be £600 pa less than my Striple. That's something to take account of when weighing up the cost of change!
    £600 less ? bloody ell - how much are you paying total ? - i paid £280 fully comp for my speed triple this year , im 49 with only 1 years NCB when i renewed it (i lost all my NCB as i stopped riding for many years , passed test when i was 20).

one thing i will say is there is no loyalty with insurers , when you come to renew just find the cheapest quote and go with it .

<cough> New Triumph Street Scrambler, rural Gloucestershire, no NCB, £95 fully comp <cough>

The other two bikes (where my NCB is applied) are a little more though, but then one has twice the power and the other tows a trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    £600 less ? bloody ell - how much are you paying total ? - i paid £280 fully comp for my speed triple this year , im 49 with only 1 years NCB when i renewed it (i lost all my NCB as i stopped riding for many years , passed test when i was 20).

one thing i will say is there is no loyalty with insurers , when you come to renew just find the cheapest quote and go with it .
    Insurance was a real problem for me, because whilst I have 13 years' NCB on my car I've also had 2 claims during the last couple of years. One was my fault and the other was knock for knock but they've had a horrendous impact on the bike insurance costs as the NCB doesn't get taken into account but (naturally!) the claims do. Consequently, the Triple saw a hike to about £1400 pa, which I decided I could live with on the basis that the first year's NCB would bring it down significantly.

I also live in a London suburb which won't be cheap when it comes to premium loading, so it's lose/lose for me

Insurance was a real problem for me, because whilst I have 13 years' NCB on my car I've also had 2 claims during the last couple of years. One was my fault and the other was knock for knock but they've had a horrendous impact on the bike insurance costs as the NCB doesn't get taken into account but (naturally!) the claims do. Consequently, the Triple saw a hike to about £1400 pa, which I decided I could live with on the basis that the first year's NCB would bring it down significantly.

I also live in a London suburb which won't be cheap when it comes to premium loading, so it's lose/lose for me
    thats pretty rough for insurance costs , maybe time to tell the mrs you want to move to the country then you can have as many different style bikes as you want without the insurance companies robbing you blind :).

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    If i ever quit riding a supersport, I will be looking for something like a KTM SM990R or a Ducati Hypermotard. Those bikes look like they are the ultimate hooligan city bikes.
    I have had a Hyper 1100S for the past 10 years now and it is a great bike for getting on and going especially through traffic and round town. Not bad on the open road too although are a lot better choices too. I am 5.10 and no trouble with the seat height, the handling & brakes are great and the power is OK but you don't have to be crazy on it as the engine works OK low down too. Wind protection is fairly minimal and tank range 100 or so but that is about the range of the bike anyway. It has been a great choice for me after sports bikes - calmer, more practical in town, still a hoot to ride and not too much of a compromise on handling & braking either.

Master

Near Miss

Had a close encounter of the meeting mirror kind...A494 Mold to Ruthin, there’s a few hairpins as you approach the Ruthin end. I was rounding a very sharp right hander, my wheels were on my side of the road, and my bars were probably on the white line, a car coming the other way was also on the white line, mirrors clashed and I got covered in glass. I stopped but the other driver didn’t... I recon I was doing around 20 to 25MPH..

Lucky to stay on Enoch. A few more inches and it could have been very nasty, especially if the car had caught the bar end. There are a few s/h for sale on fleabay if you look, maybe worth a shout..

Stuart

Lucky, mate!!!

In other news... that all went rather well

Master
    Lucky to stay on Enoch. A few more inches and it could have been very nasty, especially if the car had caught the bar end. There are a few s/h for sale on fleabay if you look, maybe worth a shout..

Stuart
    Cheers Stuart... yep it was a close one, it happened that fast I don’t even know what colour or type the car was..

I put part of the blame on the stupidly wide bars on the XDiavel, I’ve complained to myself about them from day one.
    Too high and too wide, I have a set of Diavel 1260 bars on order, they’re lower, and about 4 or 5” shorter...

As for the mirror clash, I’d say it was 70-30 my fault, as the vulnerable road user I shouldn’t have been that close to the white line whilst being banked over so far.... lesson learnt.🤪🤪😈

Lucky, mate!!!

In other news... that all went rather well
    The BMW?!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    The BMW?!
    Yep. Took it out for an hour or so on some amazing twisty roads and absolutely loved it. Totally rejected the offer that I got whilst on the premises but I just received a call that makes it a no-brainer (bearing in mind the far higher value of the 9T as things stand today, the saving annually on insurance, the very paltry cost of change compared to the original offer and the likely increasing value differentials over time). I'd have been mad not to do the deal.

So, it has 3600 miles on the clock and when I pick it up next week it'll have had a full service & new MOT and will carry a two year warranty. The reality is that it's everything I wanted the Street Twin to be (but wasn't), and it gets me back on the style of bike that I wanted to ride. The Triple peaks at 9500 rpm, and I've never gone over 7000! I'm delighted, to put it mildly, and I love the custom paint job.

Anyone want some chain cleaner, some gear oil and a couple of paddock stands?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yep. Took it out for an hour or so on some amazing twisty roads and absolutely loved it. Totally rejected the offer that I got whilst on the premises but I just received a call that makes it a no-brainer (bearing in mind the far higher value of the 9T as things stand today, the saving annually on insurance, the very paltry cost of change compared to the original offer and the likely increasing value differentials over time). I'd have been mad not to do the deal.

So, it has 3600 miles on the clock and when I pick it up next week it'll have had a full service & new MOT and will carry a two year warranty. The reality is that it's everything I wanted the Street Twin to be (but wasn't), and it gets me back on the style of bike that I wanted to ride. The Triple peaks at 9500 rpm, and I've never gone over 7000! I'm delighted, to put it mildly, and I love the custom paint job.

Indeed, a great bonus of shaft drive.

I think I told you so somewhere up the thread!

Well done. Had mine out today and love it. The smell of warm oil is hard to beat.

The reality is that it's everything I wanted the Street Twin to be (but wasn't), and it gets me back on the style of bike that I wanted to ride. The Triple peaks at 9500 rpm, and I've never gone over 7000! I'm delighted
    Sounds like a great result!

Will be interested to see how you get on as I am thinking of one of these as an upgrade from my Street Twin in the coming months.

Like you I love that style of bike and whilst the torque of the twin is great - I would like a bit more now. Especially so as my other half is now on the back at every opportunity 😀

Take the Yoshi off and put it back to standard. A dealer wont give you any more for it, then sell it me !!

Stuart

Take the Yoshi off and put it back to standard. A dealer wont give you any more for it, then sell it me !!

Stuart

I did bear you in mind, Stuart, and was assuming we’d be talking. However, the best offer was for the bike as presented, and it also saves me at least a day sorting the exhaust and other bits out (not to mention the additional time and hassle of selling them). Sorry mate.

No worries Tony. Hope you enjoy the Beemer as much as you have the Striple.

Stuart

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a close encounter of the meeting mirror kind...A494 Mold to Ruthin, there’s a few hairpins as you approach the Ruthin end. I was rounding a very sharp right hander, my wheels were on my side of the road, and my bars were probably on the white line, a car coming the other way was also on the white line, mirrors clashed and I got covered in glass. I stopped but the other driver didn’t... I recon I was doing around 20 to 25MPH..

I remember one episode of 5th gear when the female presenter with the husky voice came well over the line and nearly hit a car.
    I find it quite scary in the French alps lots of cars do it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I never expected to see this beauty at the tank museum today,tremendous day with to much to take in.
    The ride back to Weymouth was glorious in the sun as I headed towards the sea down leafy lanes.

I never expected to see this either a BAOR favourite

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lucky man. On a bike, keep well away from the central white line. In France, the truckers would have had your head!

Congrats on the R9 Tony, excellent machines

Who was the first to suggest one of those?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post4848938

Ahem.....!

Lovely bike Tony, I'm sure you will love it. Much different character and all the benefits of shaft drive.

Thanks guys... you’re such a bunch of enablers :)

Just been going through the extras that the previous owner put on the bike, and I reckon there’s over £1500 of top quality parts on it, PLUS the BMW anti theft alarm which is another £220. The paint job is amazing, and would have to be well over £500.

When I first saw this bike it was selling for £10k having just come down from £11k, and I’d have bought it at that price. Today it was £9k which is pretty good for such a low mileage bike even in stock form.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th May 2019 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Congrats on the R9 Tony, excellent machines

Who was the first to suggest one of those?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post4848938

Ahem.....!
    Yes, mate. I should have listened and bought one - or a Thruxton R as Kerry suggested - from the outset.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I’m picking up a BMW R1250R on Friday. My first boxer engine and my first shaft-driven bike, so might take a bit of getting used to...

Might start running it in by riding it to the BMF show. Anybody else going?

I’ll try any put pics up here if I can work out how to.

Jack

Trying hard to picture that.........

If your bar end was in line with the road centre - whereabouts was your body and head?

Sounds like a lucky escape.

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    I’m picking up a BMW R1250R on Friday. My first boxer engine and my first shaft-driven bike, so might take a bit of getting used to...

Might start running it in by riding it to the BMF show. Anybody else going?

I’ll try any put pics up here if I can work out how to.

Jack
    There's a BMF show again? Blimey. I didn't realise that had started again. I've probably not been since the 1990's.

A quick look at the web site suggests that to find out about it I need to be on Facebook. Which I'm not. But as I'll not be going, I'll not worry.

Don't worry unduly about riding a shaft drive bike. Since BMW introduced the Paralever in 1988, the torque reaction from the shaft has been minimal. The conspicuous rise from the rear under accelerating and squatting under braking has pretty much disappeared.

What you will notice, particularly blipping the throttle at the lights is the tendency of the boxer to roll slightly from side to side. This is simply because the crankshaft is longitudinal rather than transverse and nothing to do with the shaft. Chances are you'll never notice this effect on the move.

Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    There's a BMF show again? Blimey. I didn't realise that had started again. I've probably not been since the 1990's.

A quick look at the web site suggests that to find out about it I need to be on Facebook. Which I'm not. But as I'll not be going, I'll not worry.

Don't worry unduly about riding a shaft drive bike. Since BMW introduced the Paralever in 1988, the torque reaction from the shaft has been minimal. The conspicuous rise from the rear under accelerating and squatting under braking has pretty much disappeared.

What you will notice, particularly blipping the throttle at the lights is the tendency of the boxer to roll slightly from side to side. This is simply because the crankshaft is longitudinal rather than transverse and nothing to do with the shaft. Chances are you'll never notice this effect on the move.

Enjoy!

What I noticed is that if I blip as I pull up to the lights I can’t stop without putting my right foot down. I need to get out of the habit!

What I noticed is that if I blip as I pull up to the lights I can’t stop without putting my right foot down. I need to get out of the habit!
    Ha.

The habit I still can't get out of is using both brakes at the same time on the R1200R when I want to stop in a hurry.

Muscle memory from 40-odd years of riding, not helped by it being the only bike having linked brakes whilst my others don't.

very lucky , im sure i mentioned it earlier in this thread - just under a year ago my best friend of over 30yrs did a similar thing (both him and the car in the opposite direction were right on the centre white lines ) only it clipped him a bit harder and threw him into the path of a range rover at around 70mph - died instantly ( i was 100yrds behind him and lucky not to get tangled up in it)
    now i try to stay more or less central , yes its slowed my cornering down but the roads are mad these days compared to 20yrs ago.
    Last edited by pugster; 15th May 2019 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    very lucky , im sure i mentioned it earlier in this thread - just under a year ago my best friend of over 30yrs did a similar thing (both him and the car in the opposite direction were right on the centre white lines ) only it clipped him a bit harder and threw him into the path of a range rover at around 70mph - died instantly ( i was 100yrds behind him and lucky not to get tangled up in it)
    now i try to stay more or less central , yes its slowed my cornering down but the roads are mad these days compared to 20yrs ago.
    I’m so sorry to hear that, must have been horrendous.

About 15 years ago my Dad ran over and killed a rider who had clipped a car in front doing exactly the same thing. Please ride defensively guys.

That’s awful - condolences on losing your friend.

I’ve settled into a pattern of giving myself as much visibility as possible - and at the same time being as visible as possible - going into a left hand bend but then moving back into the middle by the time I hit the apex (or earlier if necessary as I can see what’s coming). It’s bloody dangerous out there, though, and car lane discipline is a complete lottery.

On a right hand bend the best line for visibility is on the left anyway, so that’s as safe as you can get.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th May 2019 at 08:00.

Well with the imminent changes to the weather being forecast for this weekend, a few of us will be scooting down to The Raven tomorrow (thursday). This will be the first time this year I have been, and also a first on the Striple. My eldest son and a couple of my usual ride buddies are planning this as well, I’ll try and post a few piccies as there is usually a lot of tasty bikes down there tbh.

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Trying hard to picture that.........

If your bar end was in line with the road centre - whereabouts was your body and head?

Sounds like a lucky escape.
    It all happened that fast it’s hard to say, but I suspect my head was just about on my side... I’m guessing the driver swung hard left in shock when he saw me..
    He was travelling at a much higher rate of knots than I was..

I consider myself lucky, he or she could have easily hit my bar or hand, and it would have been a bit of a mess..

Of to hospital now for some minor surgery (unrelated) and have been told I can’t ride for 10 days or so.👎👎🏍🏍

Master
    , a few of us will be scooting down to The Raven tomorrow (thursday)
    Keep your eyes peeled Stuart, last week 3 GSXR’s pulled into the carpark, closely followed by an unmarked red BMW police bike.... he did 2 of em for speeding and one for overtaking on double whites...

Give me a shout next time you go, I’ll try and meet up for a coffee..👍👍

Keep your eyes peeled Stuart, last week 3 GSXR’s pulled into the carpark, closely followed by an unmarked red BMW police bike.... he did 2 of em for speeding and one for overtaking on double whites...

Give me a shout next time you go, I’ll try and meet up for a coffee..
    Will do Enoch. Last year when we went a couple of times there was always a couple of cop bikes on the A49 going into there, they hide in side roads etc and if you’re riding like a loon I guess they will have you. Cheers for the heads up though.

Stuart

My Bonnie project starts tomorrow.
    That's when I am picking up the starting point bike (Cat N due to stolen/recovered with vandalism) from Copart, a 2013 Bonnie with under 7000 miles on the clock.
    Later in the year than I would have liked, it would be nice to be further along and ready to use it in the current weather.
    I'll just have to make do with my Mk 1 Speed Triple in the mean time, before I say goodbye to it.
    I shall keep you guys posted on the project progress
    Dave

Thanks guys... you’re such a bunch of enablers :)

Just been going through the extras that the previous owner put on the bike, and I reckon there’s over £1500 of top quality parts on it, PLUS the BMW anti theft alarm which is another £220. The paint job is amazing, and would have to be well over £500.

When I first saw this bike it was selling for £10k having just come down from £11k, and I’d have bought it at that price. Today it was £9k which is pretty good for such a low mileage bike even in stock form.
    .....I can't recall, have we seen pictures yet?????