closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Well it’s almost here, is it just me or has anyone else lost interest in this World Cup?

For me, I’ve watched every World Cup since 1986 (I can remember 82 and Robbo been injured but didn’t really watch any as I was only 7).

But this one, maybe the fact it’s covered in corruption, the fact it’s halfway through a season because it’s too hot otherwise, I can’t stand VAR and the fact no one can celebrate a goal anymore and finally the cheating and diving going on in the game, for me and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m not sure I’ll even watch the games England play in.

There’s every chance one night when I’m in the house I may stick a match on but seriously I have no enthusiasm for this World Cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was 3 in 82 when NI topped the group and reached the quarter finals, regrettably too young to have given it a second thought. I was aware of the 1986 competition but was still a bit young and didn't really care. It wasn't until Italia 90 that the magic of this competition really grabbed me and I've been hooked on it ever since, it's the greatest competition on Earth.

Qatar 2022 though? Jesus, it barely registers. I know there are all sorts of little reasons all adding together, and I just don't give a monkey's about this one. Even the opening fixture is utter dog-egg. Maybe I'll care a bit more when it gets going properly, we'll see.

Grand Master
    I`m old enough to remember England winning it in 66 (I was 8) and despite never being a big football fan I`ve always taken an interest. This time around feels very different, can`t relate to it somehow. Maybe it's the timing, but it feels very low key. Can`t see England doing well, Gareth Southgate's looking a like a manager who's passed his sell by date. Could be wrong, the team may exceed expectations, but I`ll be surprised.

I suppose I`ll watch the England matches but not with any great enthusiasm.

Rugby League World Cup was a different matter, I was shouting at the TV last Saturday whilst witnessing the agonising golden point defeat.....another disappointment for an England team!

Football, Rugby League, Union or whatever, it's only a game.

I'm beginning to look forward to the actual football now. I'm not interested in watching any of the Qatar marketing noise that'll be all over our screens though. I've watched every WC since Spain 82 (which I still think is the best I've seen) and love the tournament. As a lover of the game I'm not going to miss out on the football just because FIFA is corrupt.

Nope!

I'll be watching as usual and probably filling in one of those results forms you get in the papers too.

Already buoyed up by our World cup T20 win!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched everyone from and including 66 but I am no where near pumped up for this one as before. To be honest if we go out there will be no tears from me

Craftsman
    No interest whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'll be watching, but I don't have the same level of interest and anticipation that I usually do. Qatar is not a football nation, it's not the right time of year and I don't find footballers as relatable as they used to be. Tired of the political gestures, as well. I don't disregard the importance of the issues concerned for a moment, but I'm tired of attending an endless moral lecture about it from the likes of Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford.

Giving it to Qatar shows its not about football but business interests. There's certainly no spark like there usually is approaching a world Cup for me.

Master
    Word Cup Football, I didnt realise football was involved. All we seem to be fed about Qatar is their stance on LGBT / Human rights/ migrant labour/ last nights Horizon on corruption. Im tired of it before it starts, lets hope the teams bring some joy to the $160 billion event.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Giving it to Qatar shows its not about football but business interests. There's certainly no spark like there usually is approaching a world Cup for me.
    Perfectly mirrors my thoughts
    No interest at all I’m affraid

Master
    Anyone remember the Word Athletics Championships in Doha, 2019?

A sports mad nation it certainly isn’t.

2022 World Cup, anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I'll be watching, but I don't have the same level of interest and anticipation that I usually do. Qatar is not a football nation, it's not the right time of year and I don't find footballers as relatable as they used to be. Tired of the political gestures, as well. I don't disregard the importance of the issues concerned for a moment, but I'm tired of attending an endless moral lecture about it from the likes of Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford.
    Totally agreed about the gestures.
    Last edited by Martylaa; 16th November 2022 at 16:33.

not interested, the bosses running football are all corrupt old secret society nobs

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    A sports mad nation it certainly isn’t.
    Apparently they are paying crowds to attend.

It is bonkers that it's in Qatar, and even more bonkers that people are defending it.

A pox on every participant, sponsor and supporter.

Just watched a Dutch news team being challenged by 'security officers' on the news. Qatar is morally bankrupt, we all know this.
    I say this with a heavy heart as it is many decades since Wales has qualified to play in a world cup and it is pitifull that it has to be this one. Shan't watch a second of it, nor should anyone with a sliver of conscience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    https://twitter.com/garylineker/stat...798830081?s=12

Gonna be the worst World Cup ever

Will do my best to give it a wide berth.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Argentina 78 was the first World Cup i remember, we really thought Scotland were going to win it, how times have changed.
    Not interested in this one at all, will probably take an interest when we get to the knock outs.
    Qatar Ecuador, what a start to the tournament.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Yeah damn all the work in raising awareness on issues, creating solutions etc by Kane & Rashford.

What have you done?

Usually by now, everyone is driving round with the England flags fluttering from their car windows but I have seen NONE. Maybe it's a sign of how this world Cup is going to pan out. I love my international football but I'm just not interested in this tournament. If England get to the semi/final then I'll probably watch but only because I'd like to see it over the farce that is the current world Cup.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Usually by now, everyone is driving round with the England flags fluttering from their car windows but I have seen NONE. Maybe it's a sign of how this world Cup is going to pan out. I love my international football but I'm just not interested in this tournament. If England get to the semi/final then I'll probably watch but only because I'd like to see it over the farce that is the current world Cup.
    A very good point on the car flags, had not realised they were missing. I’m certainly not missing seeing them lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope it tanks.

Serves FIFA right for selling out.

I will still support the team though with limited expectations.

Although I don't agree with the world cup being played in Qatar, a lot of people making noise about human rights etc are perfectly happy to support teams that are owned by other corrupt middle east regimes which have as bad, if not worse human rights records.

FIFA and other sporting bodies of course will say that they are trying to bring about change by holding competitions in these places.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I have been saying that for the last five years. I do hope it’s a complete failure and all those corrupt FIFA officials are savaged.

After watching Kickback on Prime about Fifa corruption and bribes, it's just staggering Qatar was allowed to even bid let alone actually win it, even worse is they actually allowed Qatar to keep it going, I hope its a massive flop tbh...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 18th November 2022 at 09:49.

Putting the important political issues aside for just a moment, I think the time of year point makes a difference too. World cup usually involves some nice cold beers in the sun in the summer work lull. Mid-season in November/December is just not quite the same.

Master
    The relaxation on drinking in public for the stadiums seems to be getting a possible reversal, as the royal family are now demanding a total ban at stadiums. With 48hrs to go it’s a classy move.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Will do my best to give it a wide berth.
    This.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The relaxation on drinking in public for the stadiums seems to be getting a possible reversal, as the royal family are now demanding a total ban at stadiums. With 48hrs to go it’s a classy move.
    You couldn't make it up haha, well done FIFA, you took your money and ran...

Master
    Mugging off the paying fans. There’s a surprise.

Mind you Qatar must have something going for it seeing as the FIFA president Gianni Infantino lives in Doha...

Master
    Its perfectly possible to enjoy watching a sporting event without alcohol :0)

With all the trouble the intoxication can cause it might be a good idea if a ban was implemented over here, along maybe with screening to make sure you aren't over the limit before entering said stadium!!

Just been sent some WhatsApp videos of the stadium (and I'm assuming its the main 80,000 seater) with it's pitch view exec bedrooms, tv's by the seats and 5 star hotel style entrance.

All very nice if you like that kind of thing but do we know what they are planning to do with the stadiums after December 18th?

Rent it out for corporate friendlies and Youtubers?

Is it a recyclable stadium?

I guess they won't be the first major sporting event like this i.e. Rio and Bejing Stadia, but it feels like there going to be an awful lot of wasted infrastructure. But hey what's £200BN between friends.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just hoping, and looks like it will be a total flop. Fantastic if it is

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    As a lover of the game I'm not going to miss out on the football just because FIFA is corrupt.
    Forget FIFA, they're saints compared to the Qatari regime.

I can't understand how any 'lover of the game' can watch football played in stadia drenched in exploited migrant blood, in a desert country that has no football history, under a regime that murders, tortures and imprisons human beings because of their sexuality. And don't forget its control of the world's largest gas field when your mid-winter gas bill drops.

I honestly can't think of one good reason why any decent human being would lower themselves to have anything to do with it.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 18th November 2022 at 11:23.

It'll have been the plan all along.

Qatar World Cup: Beer to be banned from stadiums, Sky News understands | World News | Sky News

Sounds like a blow to sponsors Bud.

Because I want to enjoy the games. I completely, 100% agree with your sentiment out with 90 minutes of sport. The players didn't ask for it to be in Qatar, I'm pretty sure they'd rather play elsewhere. Even the players who win it will I'm sure feel it's a tainted win and would rather not lift the trophy in that country.

I feel it'll go down as the worst World Cup ever for fans and players and it'll be a huge own goal for the country in terms of public image and the tourist dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Forget FIFA, they're saints compared to the Qatari regime.

I can't understand how any 'lover of the game' can watch football played in stadia drenched in exploited migrant blood, in a desert country that has no football history, under a regime that murders, tortures and imprisons human beings because of their sexuality. And don't forget its control of the world's largest gas field when your mid-winter gas bill drops.

I honestly can't think of one good reason why any decent human being would lower themselves to have anything to do with it.

Master
    And more surprises!

”Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol.”

World Cup 2022: Beer sales banned at World Cup stadiums in Qatar https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63674631

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    And more surprises!

”Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol.”

World Cup 2022: Beer sales banned at World Cup stadiums in Qatar https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63674631
    Bud just tweeted ´Well this is awkward´...

Alcohol for the VIPs on the corporate gig but not the common paying punters eh, is this part of a Qatari- Arab, wider kinda thing, plebs know your place, chop chop...

All sorts of crap in the media about personalities promoting it, yet it’s the TV companies who are the main culprits, but no one bites the hands that feed them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    And more surprises!

And only £19,000 a pop too!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Just been sent some WhatsApp videos of the stadium (and I'm assuming its the main 80,000 seater) with it's pitch view exec bedrooms, tv's by the seats and 5 star hotel style entrance.

All very nice if you like that kind of thing but do we know what they are planning to do with the stadiums after December 18th?

Rent it out for corporate friendlies and Youtubers?

Is it a recyclable stadium?

I guess they won't be the first major sporting event like this i.e. Rio and Bejing Stadia, but it feels like there going to be an awful lot of wasted infrastructure. But hey what's £200BN between friends.
    Public executions?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Blog Entries
    A statement from Gareth Southgate.
    "We're going to boycott the final, probably. And maybe the semis and quarters. Possibly the whole knockout stage."
    England will make a stand.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    As much as I enjoy my football I can muster no enthusiasm whatsoever for this World Cup.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Heard silly prices from various sources regards the cost of a beer £8 to £12 at those sort of prices can’t see the fans getting that inebriated. The cost for Englands group stage packages are expensive £4k to 5k don’t know how they afford it with what it’s going to be hitting families
    Last edited by hilly10; 18th November 2022 at 15:12.

I've noticed over the last couple of days that broadcasters are saying things like "if any regular fans are attending". I also heard a journalist on the radio last night saying he's covered six WCs and 12 major tournaments. He said that every time he arrives in-country you can instantly see and feel the atmosphere, the colours, music and fans. In Qatar....nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Heard silly prices from various sources regards the cost of a beer £8 to £12 at those sort of prices can’t see the fans getting that inebriated. The cost for Englands group stage packages were expensive £4k to 5k don’t know how they afford it with what it’s going to be hitting families soon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've noticed over the last couple of days that broadcasters are saying things like "if any regular fans are attending". I also heard a journalist on the radio last night saying he's covered six WCs and 12 major tournaments. He said that every time he arrives in-country you can instantly see and feel the atmosphere, the colours, music and fans. In Qatar....nothing.

That’s because a lot of the fans packages are fly in day before then out after the three match package, plus there are thousands of fans in neighbouring Emirates who will fly in and out on the day due to accommodation issues. Bloody stupid if you ask me.