closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watches you will buy when the bottom falls out of the market

Master
    Realistically I won’t put any money into watch purchase if there is a correlation. Cash is king when it comes to it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Local sale has begun

50% off Oris and all Rado

& so it begins.

Admittedly not the exotics that some are hoping for at bargain prices.
    Where is that if you don't mind me asking?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    This will probably be what most AD's start to put on sale to maybe shift some stock to pay the wages but will look to hold out as long as possible before having to put the high profit into a sale. Having been in the centre of Edinburgh the past few days it was an absolute Ghost with every shop empty of people, multiply this every week for the next 4-8 weeks and something is going to have to give in regards sales of any luxury item.

Do enough luxury stores have the financial reserves to go 4-8 weeks with minimal sales, are they thinking that if they just sit tight and ride this out that everything just goes back to normal and people splurge the cash. After nearly every major worldwide crisis people take a pause for thouight about what they thought was important to them or made them happy etc and i feel the same will happen here, the normal just ain't going to happen the way the luxury market would like it too or believes it will.

This threat has scared and continues to scare everyone, with that always comes a change of focus on how you live life.

I think that's a pretty good summary of the way things are likely to play out. We're into uncharted territory here (at least in recent history) and that's bound to shift people's financial priorities.

Master
    Not going to buy anything I wouldn’t normally want to own/ wear anyway, but hoping for a better/lower price on watches I have liked for a long time. E.g. not going to buy some wacky GP three golden bridge tourbillon but will be interested in a classic Rolex Explorer or a nice day date, or even a standard hublot Big Bang

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Sorry, currently locked down northern hemisphere, so Isle of Man.
    It's just a matter of time...

Urban Jurgensen would be nice

A nice 4 line 14060M for under £5k would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A nice 4 line 14060M for under £5k would be nice.
    With a time machine ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

Oris

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    The 50% off Oris has my attention as well.

Journeyman
    Seiko SKX007

I might pick up an Aquanaut if I could get one close to RRP - but that’s unlikely to happen I think....

Craftsman

Laing uk sale

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Local sale has begun

50% off Oris and all Rado

& so it begins.

Admittedly not the exotics that some are hoping for at bargain prices.
    Laings Uk have suddenly announced a Spring Sale on stock, looking to pay some bills i presume.

Largely a jewellery sale but they have included the pre owned watch section, albeit after taking half the available stock off the table. Not any bargains just mainly 10% here and there off but as they work on a 100% mark up from buy in price they are not exactly cutting their throats with these discounts.

It won't change my watch spending habits.

I get offered stuff quite regularly and really only buy vintage or used so if I see something I haven't seen before I'll buy it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    If the watches I want become affordable, I won’t want them anymore

I won’t make any sensible decisions now or any time in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    Potentially so, be interesting to see whether certain watches retain their desirability.

I'd love to pick up a nice used Old Navitimer on the cheap, but I don't think the prices will fall low enough for me.

Rolex 1675 and 5513. I doubt the prices come down for the vintages but I can live in hope. And of course I'm always willing to buy more 5-digits if the prices are attractive.

PS: I was offered both watches (1675 and 5513) back in 2008 but refused. Stupid me. I don't even want to talk about those prices back then.

Craftsman
    Fancy a Blancpain 50 fathoms but would have to offload my seadweller though. Did get a quote via an Italian dealer last year, would be interesting to see what a price would be when the dust settles over there

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Fancy a Blancpain 50 fathoms but would have to offload my seadweller though. Did get a quote via an Italian dealer last year, would be interesting to see what a price would be when the dust settles over there
    I was looking at those and the Blue dial version on Chrono24 the other week, several UK dealers sell them with a large discount. Don't know if anyone has used them, but they suggest you pay, they get you a brand new watch and send it to you. In most cases several grand cheaper than the list price.

A Daytona at a sensible price. It's all I've ever wanted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    A Daytona at a sensible price. It's all I've ever wanted.
    What’s a sensible price just out of interest?

Would you buy my ceramic today for £9k?

ps I don’t have one just hypothetically

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

What a rascal, just seen the small print. Good job you put that in otherwise your inbox would have been well full

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    Brilliant

Master
    i dont see prices falling enough but Daytona, Speedmaster is more achievable and i like the Zenith Defy El Primero skeleton, JLC master ultra thin date.

Im also not sure how id feel about picking up anything at a bargain price if i knew coronavirus issues was forcing someone to sell. Seems a little wrong somehow..... obviously no one buying wouldn't help the seller either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

Sensible not to own a luxury watch.

I’m beginning to think the era of flash watches and hype on instagram is going to be over and conspicuous consumption will mean we might not be so keen to be buying

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I don’t think I’ll be sinking any cash into watches for the time being. I’d absolutely love an AP ROO of some description, but I can’t see their values crashing anytime soon.

I reckon there will be a price correction on Rolex watches, as well as other pieces that have increased in price due to low supply and high demand.

I’m surprised how many Rolex sale threads there are in the sale section at present!

Maybe a sub bracelet for less than a grand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Speaking with a fellow member, I think this should be a fun one!

If/when the a*se falls out of the market, what watches are you eyeing up? I've got an Urwerk on the radar, but be interested to see what brands and watches you're cheekily thinking you'll be able to get on the cheap!
    Just.....loads......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Apprentice
    Wouldn't mind an FP Journe resonance, I'll pay for it in loo roll

Master
    So many, so, so many on the want list...
    Breitling Galactic Unitime, Chronomat GMT and Navitimer GMT
    Tag Heuer Monaco blue / gulf colours.
    AP Royal Oak 15400 boutique blue and Royal Oak Diver.
    Bulgari Octo Finissimo
    Speedmaster - various ltd editions
    Patek - pretty much anything
    VC - Overseas chrono
    H Moser and Cie - pretty much anything.
    Ulysse Nardin - All of them but a freak, a Divers Chronograph and an el toro would 'do'

The chances of me having funds to actually carry through on my dreams - vanishingly small to utterly zero.

Another ten grand daytona guy here, lol.

If they were half price, maybe the white faced breitling unitime world timer, or a chopard time traveler.

Or maybe I'll just keep the cash.

If I'm offered a BLRO at list I will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonimouse View Post
    ... I’m surprised how many Rolex sale threads there are in the sale section at present!
    I'm not. I've been astounded that people are willing to pay top-flight money for mid-tier watches.

Now they, and the buy-to-invest brigade, are moving them on sharpish before the bubble bursts.

Seems to me that in the UK the forced closure of AD's will drive 2nd hand prices up. So I see no possibility of the bottom falling out of the market anytime soon. My buying habits will remain unchanged.

Craftsman

Uncertainty

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Seems to me that in the UK the forced closure of AD's will drive 2nd hand prices up. So I see no possibility of the bottom falling out of the market anytime soon. My buying habits will remain unchanged.

At probably the greatest time of uncertainty the World has seen in 80 years, people lost to the virus, economic turmoil in the financial markets and job concerns for nearly every worker for the months, possibly year ahead and you feel that prices in the secondary market will spike because we cannot get access to our AD for a new watch, when last night I went to the store to get some fruit and every shelf was empty.

My concerns are not about how to get a watch and I think many people are in the same vein. If the secondary market wants to use AD closures or Factories shutdown to create the story that watch shortages are real and an important necessity enough in people’s lives to push up prices then good luck to them but they are kidding themselves. Darkest of times but dealers greed still carries on until it’s collapse.

Master
    Always wanted one of these and thought when they doubled in price to £8000 that they were silly money and then kept climbing.

Grand Master
    Early days but mail order going mad
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Always wanted one of these and thought when they doubled in price to £8000 that they were silly money and then kept climbing.

It is a great watch, I paid £8.5k for my first and £9k for my second, but at the end of the day it's a £3.5k moonwatch with a fancy dial and LE box set that went out at £4.6k. The rest of the price (whatever anyone pays) is just exclusivity and bragging rights, although I did get a fair amount of abuse when I had mine. There are plenty of haters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is a great watch, I paid £8.5k for my first and £9k for my second, but at the end of the day it's a £3.5k moonwatch with a fancy dial and LE box set that went out at £4.6k. The rest of the price (whatever anyone pays) is just exclusivity and bragging rights, although I did get a fair amount of abuse when I had mine. There are plenty of haters out there.
    It's a watch that could very much see a correction. Though exclusivity means I doubt it goes below 10k

It's a watch that could very much see a correction. Though exclusivity means I doubt it goes below 10k
    I would agree. It was in the £6.5k-£8.5k bracket for a long time then just went bonkers, everytime I looked it had gone up another two or three grand.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Early days but mail order going mad
    Any early trends for what people are buying?

Craftsman

Discount

Any early trends for what people are buying?

Helps with sales when they are dropping 10-30% off their original asking prices to generate some interest at these times. Important for any business to keep the money moving in the right direction.

Assuming I get through this thing with the slightly limited NHS PPE then maybe

SBGA211 Snowflake

SBDX017, as I must be the only person here who has never had an MM300

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I would be keen a limited edition Oris if i could get one at the right price. I haven't seen any major discounts yet for any watches....

Master
    Blog Entries
    A vacheron overseas would be on my radar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Not a bad one - the blue version was available for around 12k around a yr ago? That maybe a good target price.

Master
    A PP annual calendar I was going to wait till I retire to buy one, but I am going to go ahead now as who knows how long I may be around for. So in my simple logic I may as well enjoy it. I will pick yp pieces that I like I fancy a silver dialled Aqua Terra on rubber as well as a white faced daytona to go with my black. So if a white one comes up I am going to buy it and wear the hell out of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Laings Uk have suddenly announced a Spring Sale on stock, looking to pay some bills i presume.

Largely a jewellery sale but they have included the pre owned watch section, albeit after taking half the available stock off the table. Not any bargains just mainly 10% here and there off but as they work on a 100% mark up from buy in price they are not exactly cutting their throats with these discounts.
    Curious, where do you get 100%, and is it not brand specific? I've sold to them in the past (not Rolex) and the window price was a 50% mark-up which as an opener seemed very reasonable.