closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 98 of 165 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,900 of 8237

Thread: What do you drive?

Craftsman
    [/QUOTE]Its a very pratical car - offers good fuel economy, has a large boot which can carry lots of stuff and has all the gizmos expected of a car in 2018. Its not too much of a compromise given the driving excitement on offer [/QUOTE]

I totally agree...it’s the styling of it that is too much for her. It is quite OTT but that’s why I like it tbh.
    Last edited by MTM84; 2nd January 2019 at 00:01.

There is no denying it is OTT but then the base Civic is also quite brash so that might help your OH to accept the looks a little more. Japanese cars are increasingly more interesting and individualistic while the German cars all seem to converge into a similar conservative look. We went for the gray metallic because it was the most reserved colour choice which helped to tone it down a little. Black would also work.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Its worthy of consideration Monty, depending on what you have now the shallower depreciation on the CTR may help as some justification to the OH
    :
    It's certainly a consideration just maybe not yet, I will wait and get one in about a years time when I am completely bored of what I have now (e350 coupe)

Craftsman
    Wouldn’t go back to a car (for now) plenty torque on tap and fast enough without collecting any points along the way

Attachment 15675

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    There is no denying it is OTT but then the base Civic is also quite brash so that might help your OH to accept the looks a little more. Japanese cars are increasingly more interesting and individualistic while the German cars all seem to converge into a similar conservative look. We went for the gray metallic because it was the most reserved colour choice which helped to tone it down a little. Black would also work.
    I like your thinking. She’s quite taken by the new Cupra Ateca which is very much under the radar but still offers pretty good performance so I’ll probbaly have a closer look at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The new addition

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Wouldn’t go back to a car (for now) plenty torque on tap and fast enough without collecting any points along the way

Attachment 15675

Love our family wagon - great for the kids and weekends away etc

Daily drive for me is a company 330e - cheap on the BIK and sporty enough to.not be dull

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    1000 miles in to bmw x3 40i ownership after consolidating my disco sport and 981 Cayman S.

quite enjoying it it sounds great on start up. also not much more expensive to fuel than the disco what with high diesel prices don't actually think any difference at all.

very impressed given the x3 is a 360bhp petrol

Craftsman
    Can't remember if I've posted these...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AMB View Post
    Can't remember if I've posted these...

What are the black bits above the windscreen for?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    What are the black bits above the windscreen for?

I was going to ask the same, thought they might be the air dam/guard from an open sunroof but there is no sunroof and zooming in they look stuck on?

Blog Entries
    Back in my comfort zone, last of the BMW X5 F15 50i V8, and late Golf R - very happy with this combo

Might be keeping them for a while .... (I have told SWMBO )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I was going to ask the same, thought they might be the air dam/guard from an open sunroof but there is no sunroof and zooming in they look stuck on?
    Can’t see how you got to no sunroof, I can’t see a sign there is or is not. Do think you might be right on the air dam suggestion, perhaps the bits that look ‘stuck on’ is in fact a reflection of the dam in the paint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I spotted you in this this morning :)

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post

Can’t see how you got to no sunroof, I can’t see a sign there is or is not. Do think you might be right on the air dam suggestion, perhaps the bits that look ‘stuck on’ is in fact a reflection of the dam in the paint?
    How do reflections stand proud of the outline roof shape ?? They'd need to be a hologram surely ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Pretty sure I spotted you in this this morning :)
    Where abouts?

Where abouts?
    Tannochside. 08.20 (ish)

Yeh ?

Craftsman
    Yes indeed...Hamilton Road was backed up so I took a detour through the industrial estate. Small world.

What do you drive?

Don’t think I ever posted the current Alexander transport.
    My lovely lovely Octavia:

And here in it’s very last winter-mode guise:

Became this:

It had to go - I was doing 24-28 mpg, it needed a timing belt and probably a chain (it links the cams), paint, tyres and a wheel refurb and it was probably going to come to about £2k. I wish I’d kept it but still. Nobody wanted to drop £5k on a 360 bhp/400 lb ft Octavia without an LSD and the only thing to do was break it.

I ran this heap of junk for about 4 months while I was trying to decide what to do.

(Post lowering, because...well, because you have to).

260k miles X reg 320d. All the electric bits worked (except the outside temp sensor - and something else that occasionally didn’t work, but I forget what now, oh it was the door locks) and it was still very solidly screwed together. The rust was probably going to kill it in 18 months and it wasn’t going to pass another test. Some Romanian kid with an Italian passport gave me what I paid for it (£300) and I believe it (and him) left the country.

The plan was to break the Octavia and raise £6k (which I did) and run the BM until I found an Exeo or a B7 A4 Avant, but I thought the money would be better spent on taking my ex girlfriend on holiday and buying an Altea a mechanic mate was selling for his nephew.

Which looked like this....

....and then I got my hands on it.

I lobbed a load of stuff at it I kept from the Octavia - coilovers, wheels and a big RARB (which is too stiff for a high, short and narrow car like that), chucked a set of front callipers and discs from a 3.2 V6 TT with 345mm discs (up from 312 and in defence of my driving style, it needed them) and put a RNS510 nav and an OE Bluetooth kit in it.
    I’ve bent the drivers door but I’ve got another one ready to go on and it needs a service, but in less than 2 years I’ve put 40k on it. It goes alright - I want it mapped but I need to have the spare funds ready for a turbo and a clutch if it does. The timing is a bit out and I think the injectors need doing but apart from that it’s still alright. It needs a polish and I want gold wheels but you can’t have everything.

Small world.
    Yup.

Master
    Picked up my newest yesterday which puts me in the rather silly position of owning two blue boxsters. In related news, I'll be selling my 986 on the SC when I get around to it

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    How do reflections stand proud of the outline roof shape ?? They'd need to be a hologram surely ?
    The key word in my post was air dam...you know, bits that do indeed pop up when some sunroofs on some car brands are opened to fully open, bit like the merc cabriolets that have that pop up bit at the front of the windscreen.

No holograms required. Keep up at the back!

The key word in my post was air dam...you know, bits that do indeed pop up when some sunroofs on some car brands are opened to fully open, bit like the merc cabriolets that have that pop up bit at the front of the windscreen.

No holograms required. Keep up at the back!
    Well, whatever, they look $h1t anyway.......

They kind of look a bit like GasPods, though those are fitted at the rear of the roof.

https://www.gaspods.com

Edit: also, remember this is the guy's car. Guys don't insult other guy's cars. :-)
    Last edited by hogthrob; 9th January 2019 at 22:14.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In hibernation at the minute

But come the Spring every waking minute

@hilly10 now that is lovely. Always had a soft spot for these, my PE teacher back in primary school had one which I used to admire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    They kind of look a bit like GasPods, though those are fitted at the rear of the roof.

https://www.gaspods.com

Edit: also, remember this is the guy's car. Guys don't insult other guy's cars. :-)
    That’s what I originally thought, but was confused by the front placement of them, and almost side on profile.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    In hibernation at the minute
    My garage looks a similar size, but seems to fit better with a classic Z4M. M4 isn’t even worth trying. Would love a garage with enough space to machine polish a car in over a couple of days!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Z4 filled the garage and was a squeeze to get out and it was tight the other side. Now with the TR I can walk all the way round it. Cars have just got bigger

That’s what I originally thought, but was confused by the front placement of them, and almost side on profile.

That is what I also thought as I remember them been on the EVOs 8s, but not saying it's a BWM thing!!

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...LmpwZw==/?ref=

Just bought this...IMG_2886.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Currently running a Jag F-Type V6S Coupe as a daily.

Lovely sound from the exhaust and a pretty car imo.

The boot and interior storage space is surprisingly small for the size though!

Craftsman
    Current toy and ongoing project

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    My Z4 filled the garage and was a squeeze to get out and it was tight the other side. Now with the TR I can walk all the way round it. Cars have just got bigger
    I hear you. I’ve parked too far to the left this year as can easily get around one side of the car vs nothing on either side. I’m dreading having to reverse out then back in to align come the spring!

My garage is awful, drive is on a slope, so basically driving the car uphill, blind through a gap barely wider than wing mirrors...driving by a lack of scraping noise after initial line up! Perhaps I’d get the car out more if not for that lol.

Master

What do you drive?

Ref the Evo, yes that is exactly where I remember them from.

Might have to drop a note to the OP as I now have to know!!

Had a bit of snow fun yesterday

Master
    Just got this beauty back after having the bodywork sorted out

Quote Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
    Current toy and ongoing project

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    I bet that sounds glorious

Ref the Evo, yes that is exactly where I remember them from.

Might have to drop a note to the OP as I now have to know!!
    Was the other part of my post lost on you?

Craftsman

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce. Loved it at first but now rather looking forward to moving it on. I just fancied something a bit different...

What don’t you like about the Alfa? Was thinking about the Q version?

Would be interested to hear about the Alfa too, was also considering a Q when I ever get bored of my M3.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    What don’t you like about the Alfa? Was thinking about the Q version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Would be interested to hear about the Alfa too, was also considering a Q when I ever get bored of my M3.
    It's purely down to the depth of quality - or lack of. Going to this from a string of mainly BMW's and other German stuff, I've just had to put up with a long list of (mainly minor) niggles that just shouldn't exist on a £40k+ car. Alfa Romeo backup (and even knowledge) on their own product seems virtually non-existent (at least in the UK) and the thought of having the thing outside warranty is scary. It's too time consuming whilst it's within warranty! Mechanically, it's been sound so far (8500 miles in) and it can be a hoot to drive - it's just not the full package.

Happy to provide a full (potentially boring) list of issues if you want them.

I'd stick with the M3.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce. Loved it at first but now rather looking forward to moving it on. I just fancied something a bit different...

I'm 13 months into a 24 month lease and still loving mine. Just 2 minor niggles.
    1) passenger motorised wing mirror occasionally does not activate when weather is very cold
    2) the collision detection is a bit trigger happy and can go off a bit more often than needed.

Master
    One of my colleagues was looking at a Giulia as his new car. I warned him that he did not have the right mindset to be an Alfa owner so it'd never work.
    He didn't get the Alfa. I'm glad he didn't. It takes a little bit of understanding in my opinion to own Alfas and some folk simply don't have it. If you can accept the niggles and foibles you'll love the brand. If you expect absolute perfection then you'll be disappointed. I've had many Alfas and love them despite the bad reputation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    One of my colleagues was looking at a Giulia as his new car. I warned him that he did not have the right mindset to be an Alfa owner so it'd never work.
    He didn't get the Alfa. I'm glad he didn't. It takes a little bit of understanding in my opinion to own Alfas and some folk simply don't have it. If you can accept the niggles and foibles you'll love the brand. If you expect absolute perfection then you'll be disappointed. I've had many Alfas and love them despite the bad reputation.
    Just tiny niggles. It looks so good and not many in the wild.

And the Giulia is well up the list for reliability.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-wh...-survey/n17810

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    With the greatest respect, people chanting things like this about Alfa Romeo is part of the problem. There is this cult following and the romantic notion that Alfa’s are somehow lovingly constructed in a little Tuscan workshop by craftsmen & women (a bit like an Italian version of Morgan or something (and I mean no disrespect to Morgan either!)).

Alfa Romeo are owned by FIAT/Chrysler and are the 7th or 8th largest car manufacturer in the world – they are thus mass, factory produced machines much like the kettle that boiled the water for your morning drink today. Even with all that behind the company, they can’t even be bothered to get some of the basics consistently right. For example, the Giulia has a plastic fuel filler flap (like many other cars) and a very common problem with this plastic flap is that it warps in very cold or hot weather and obviously looks an utter mess. Alfa Romeo will change the flap under warranty, but they will also openly tell you that the new flap being fitted is made with the exact same material & process as the old faulty flap and the exact same problem will happen again.

That’s not character, that’s just utter incompetence.

Master
    Next door neighbour has recently gone from an Ftype V6S to an alfa romeo giulia quadrifoglio. Only a couple of months old so far but nothing's dropped off unlike his experience with the jag :-( It certainly looks the business and I love all the active aero stuff and the, largely superfluous, carbon fibre bits. Sounds impressive when he reverses out of the drive in the morning but, tbh, it's not as loud as the jag!

Goggles needed 1968 all original S2A great fun ......

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    It's purely down to the depth of quality - or lack of. Going to this from a string of mainly BMW's and other German stuff, I've just had to put up with a long list of (mainly minor) niggles that just shouldn't exist on a £40k+ car. Alfa Romeo backup (and even knowledge) on their own product seems virtually non-existent (at least in the UK) and the thought of having the thing outside warranty is scary. It's too time consuming whilst it's within warranty! Mechanically, it's been sound so far (8500 miles in) and it can be a hoot to drive - it's just not the full package.

Happy to provide a full (potentially boring) list of issues if you want them.

I'd stick with the M3.
    Interesting I have an Alfa 949 prodrive spider love it ...having had many German performance cars which yes are near perfection I just find it more interesting and with an individual character..but of course over the course of ownership more than a few problems but then most Italian cars tend not to be as well built as German cars ! . Am looking at getting a 4C yes of course there will be problems but just stunning to drive and the detailing is simple gorgeous...already saving for the repair bills :)