closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One man trash is another mans treasure

Master
    Blog Entries

One man trash is another mans treasure

So my friends brother came across a sack full of watches in a skip about a year ago. He picked a couple out (because he recognised the brand Omega) and sold the rest (a bag full) for £200.

I thought it would be interesting to share. One because I've never seen watches beat up as badly as this and two because someone has stuck something on the dial of one of them.

Anyway. Be interested to hear peoples thoughts and on these two.

PS this is not a sales thread. I told him to chuck them on ebay because I would have a clue what they are worth.

Amazing what people chuck out, I wonder what other jems were in that bag..

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dread to think but he said a bag full of watches that he didn't recognise the brands. Both these work which is pretty amazing.

Master
    Just a little normal wear & tear....I'm sure it'll polish out! Well maybe not.

Have a laugh - send them to Omega for a repair quotation!!!!

We need another restoration thread

Is the chrono one of the ones that some enthusiast gave names like Jedi etc to?

The Seamaster looks like it has a plated case, is that right?

Journeyman
    Nice post

Do they both have modified dials with 24hr numbers stuck on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Do they both have modified dials with 24hr numbers stuck on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like it! I really like that the owner modified them (albeit in a quite rudimentary way) to suit their uses.

What on earth is going on with those dials? Can't complain for freebies I guess.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Someone has stuck numbers on the dial. Ultimate tool watch!

Not sure about any coatings or anything.

The external bezels on both are also not original.
    Nice 1040-powered Seamaster chrono (originally) and Jumbo-case Chronostop.
    But now? What a mess

Master
    Blog Entries
    I told him not to mess with them but he hasn't listened.

I don't think he's tried to take that weird custom bezel off yet

Craftsman
    This is what the first one should look like

If the case is original then is the extra bezel not just glued on?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think both bezels are glued on

Master

Really ugly beat up watches, should have stayed in the trash. If these were the best of the bunch I wonder which sucker on eBay picked up the rest for £200, hope he had the decency to give that profit to charity.
    Last edited by ac11111; 23rd March 2020 at 21:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Really ugly beat up watches, should have stayed in the trash. If these were the best of the bunch I wonder which sucker on eBay picked up the rest for £200.
    On the basis that they're not fakes... really? A service and clean up and you've a pair of lovely vintage omegas. You'd rather bin them than just restore them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    On the basis that they're not fakes... really? A service and clean up and you've a pair of lovely vintage omegas. You'd rather bin them than just restore them?
    Definitely bin them, beyond repair with stick on bits stuck here and there. So much wrong with it will cost a fortune to source all the right parts and make it look better, servicing. In the end you have an polished up fraken turd watch.

It looks as if the bezels stuck on as such a bit of TLC and they should be worth saving.
    They might not be worth top dollar but well worth bringing back to wearable condition.
    Not sure on the 24 hr scale on the Lemania powered watch but hopefully they can be removed without too much damage to the dial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Certainly not fakes. Seen the movements for both watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Certainly not fakes. Seen the movements for both watches.
    I didn't think they were. Was purely for the sake of an argument for binning them. Remove the bezels, give them a bit of TLC and I'd be stoked to own either. But this is TZ, heaven help anyone who just wears a watch for their own pleasure. AC1111 would probably have binned the recent SC sub because it had a non-original bracelet.

Master

I didn't think they were. Was purely for the sake of an argument for binning them. Remove the bezels, give them a bit of TLC and I'd be stoked to own either. But this is TZ, heaven help anyone who just wears a watch for their own pleasure. AC1111 would probably have binned the recent SC sub because it had a non-original bracelet.
    Well the dial has been amateurishly customised, the case is beaten up, the movement needs a complete rebuild and the bracelet is in tatters. Aside from that it’s virtually NOS with a bit of TLC. Perhaps can find some period correct box and accessories also.

Master
    Well the dial has been amateurishly customised, the case is beaten up, the movement needs a complete rebuild and the bracelet is in tatters. Aside from that it’s virtually NOS with a bit of TLC. Perhaps can find some period correct box and accessories also.
    Movement needs a complete rebuild? Where was that stated?

And who was talking about it becoming NOS? You do understand that some people just like watches for what they are, not as collector pieces? Shocking I know, but some people just enjoy watches and don't always think about the investment potential.

Master

Movement needs a complete rebuild? Where was that stated?

And who was talking about it becoming NOS? You do understand that some people just like watches for what they are, not as collector pieces? Shocking I know, but some people just enjoy watches and don't always think about the investment potential.
    The guy found the watch in the bin...it probably needs a movement service at least??

And when did I say binning the submariner 5513?? In fact if you check I said it was a nice watch on the thread.

Master
    The guy found the watch in the bin...it probably needs a movement service at least??

And when did I say binning the submariner 5513?? In fact if you check I said it was a nice watch on the thread.
    So you'd take a vintage omega and throw it in the bin instead of just having someone give it a service?

Master
    So you'd take a vintage omega and throw it in the bin instead of just having someone give it a service?
    The watch has been treated like a piece of cr@p over it’s life and has been further customised in a very bad way.

I wouldn’t throw some lovely vintage omega in the bin from pie pan constellations to the 105.012 and 145.012 speedies which is one of my grails (ask MikeMS on the forum he has a lovely one that i would love to buy).

I know my vintage omega as well as the best of them trust me.

Master
    The watch has been treated like a piece of cr@p over it’s life and has been further customised in a very bad way.

I wouldn’t throw some lovely vintage omega in the bin from pie pan constellations to the 105.012 and 145.012 speedies which is one of my grails (ask MikeMS on the forum he has a lovely one that i would love to buy).

I know my vintage omega as well as the best of them trust me.
    And a bit of TLC and it might not be NOS, but a perfectly enjoyable watch to own. How is this so hard for you to understand? I've always wanted a chrono stop, I'd wear that as it stands.

Master
    And a bit of TLC and it might not be NOS, but a perfectly enjoyable watch to own. How is this so hard for you to understand? I've always wanted a chrono stop, I'd wear that as it stands.
    Well I think it needs more than a bit of TLC.

Why bother when for similar as a overhaul service you can easily get one in much better condition already with no issues. Took me a minute to find a good one on Chrono24.

Craftsman
    Sold for 860 on eBay yesterday. Saw it and thought it looked unique. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264668224308

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Sold for 860 on eBay yesterday. Saw it and thought it looked unique. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264668224308

His brothers friend did well then, 1k+ from the trash to eBay.

Those number markers look like they've been glued onto the dial and made of paper. And they're not even remotely well aligned.

I have no idea about this model. I'll take your word it's genuine. But this looks really weird. Why would anyone do something like that to a watch? Crazy.

Why bother when for similar as a overhaul service you can easily get one in much better condition already with no issues. Took me a minute to find a good one on Chrono24.

A good one would have all its lume markers intact. Not the same reference either.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post

And to think I bought this from the forum for £720. Admittedly it was a while ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    And to think I bought this from the forum for £720. Admittedly it was a while ago now.

Oh my that’s delicious !

Sometimes watches are more than just about money, some of us are collectors not investors.

Craftsman
    And plenty of us enjoy restoring or renovating things (including watches) just for the enjoyment and satisfaction of doing it

Sent from my G8441 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    A good one would have all its lume markers intact. Not the same reference either.
    Was replying to a post about “”always wanting a Chronostop”” he didn’t specify which variant he was after and I was illustrating that these are easily found and we don’t have to spend on overhauling a bad one, but you are right of course about the lume plots.

Master
    Blog Entries
    But that's a different watch. This one is a 145.007 on a bracelet that doesn't look that bad.

I think someone with the right skills in lock down could of had fun with these.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I think someone with the right skills in lock down could of had fun with these.
    True, there should be plenty on here interested in this fun project.
    Last edited by ac11111; 24th March 2020 at 08:44.

Master
    These watches have been well used by someone who values their purpose, not by someone who only sees £ and $ signs. That's a tricky concept for some.

I'm wondering if the 24h numbers mean they were used by military. Or to help a kid learn times.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    These watches have been well used by someone who values their purpose, not by someone who only sees £ and $ signs. That's a tricky concept for some.

I'm wondering if the 24h numbers mean they were used by military. Or to help a kid learn times.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Well it will probably be on eBay like the other one which sold quite handsomely, unless somebody here snaps it up as a project watch.

These both would restore very well, but the value realised is a bit steep.
    I enquired after a similar model of Chronostop (the one with the internal bezel) from a dealer in Germany that was selling for that final bid price.
    Having owned one, the internal bezel makes all the difference to the usability of the Chronostop, imho.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    These both would restore very well, but the value realised is a bit steep.
    I enquired after a similar model of Chronostop (the one with the internal bezel) from a dealer in Germany that was selling for that final bid price.
    Having owned one, the internal bezel makes all the difference to the usability of the Chronostop, imho.
    D
    Yup, that's the one to go for imho.

Master
    That’s a peach

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Oh my that’s delicious !
    Indeed - I think Omega's glory days are behind them, even if they're still very popular.

M

An interesting thread. While I wouldn’t have a clue how to give the required TLC (x lots), I’d still be delighted to have come across either of the displayed watches. I just like watches, not necessarily ones worth anything and ones that are a bit battered are interesting in many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a beauty. Vintage Omega at it's best.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Feel obliged to compliment this watch.

Painfully beautiful and that strap is the icing on the cake.

Sometimes the aesthetic of a watch just comes together and looks special, this is it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Feel obliged to compliment this watch.

Painfully beautiful and that strap is the icing on the cake.

Sometimes the aesthetic of a watch just comes together and looks special, this is it.
    Just to be slightly contrary - yes, the watch is a thing of sheer beauty - a great blend of elegance and masculinity - but no, not on that strap!!!!