closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Which cabrio?

Looks good. Somewhere I have a 'Mullet Rock' cassette that's dying out to be played in that tape deck!
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Looks good. Somewhere I have a 'Mullet Rock' cassette that's dying out to be played in that tape deck!
    I was rather chuffed to find an OEM cassette/CD player mounted.
    Unfortunately not many cassette left here after several house moves since CD players.

The MR2 has a relatively stark, ´dated´ look as it left the showroom floor; that was not universally appreciated.
    I like it a lot and the dash/interior not enveloping the inhabitants makes that the interior of those small cabrio is not the least cramped.

Earlier I took the sunvisors out and that psychlogically did wonders as the window frame is now 5 cm further away and appears less massive.
    Taking out the carpet and spongy stuff in the footwells has the same effect. It created an impression of more space. It is rather surprising how much interior space is gained: At either side of the seating space it is about 2 cm. On the floor carpet and foam are 5cm. replaced by 5mm.
    I first used the floor matt as atemplate for an old piece of silicon stuff. Even though I did not cut tight, it was 10cm. narrow. To start with, the carpet does not cling to the sides and it also takes a short cut, does not crease all the way into the corners but flows more smoot between the various planes. With all that metal visually stretching further, it really creates a more spacious impression.

It also looks, what... ís more stark so enhancing the functional feel of it. I will have another look for cassettes. I múst have some left dating back 35 years or so. Would massively add to the nostalgic feel of the car.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Looks good.
    I am amazed by the space, impression of space, gained. I mention both because though the carpet takes up a surprising lot of space, the surfaces now extending into de corners enhances an impression of space.
    I am positively surprised.
    To anyone who ever though about it I say go for it. Any weight gained is just a free bonus.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Just becasue I líke it

The starker look imo fits really well with starkish retro dash design:

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The starker look imo fits really well with starkish retro dash design:

I never picked up that it was an Auto.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I never picked up that it was an Auto.
    Strictly speaking it is not.
    It does not automatically change gears.
    It only operates the clutch itself.
    Hence Toyota dubbed it Sequential MANUAL Transmission.

I lóve it and it is pure genius but so devillishly complicated that I would have chosen the normal clutch one if I had known.
    Early eighties I made one myself with a simple servo on the clutch cable operated by a micro-switch on the gear lever so had no idea it would be so high tech.

Strictly speaking it is not.
    It does not automatically change gears.
    It only operates the clutch itself.
    Hence Toyota dubbed it Sequential MANUAL Transmission.

I lóve it and it is pure genius but so devillishly complicated that I would have chosen the normal clutch one if I had known.
    Early eighties I made one myself with a simple servo on the clutch cable operated by a micro-switch on the gear lever so had no idea it would be so high tech.
    Is there a weight penalty?

I just got shot of a BMW with a dual clutch box, it is supposed to change gears for you in the same way, it was rubbish

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is there a weight penalty?

I just got shot of a BMW with a dual clutch box, it is supposed to change gears for you in the same way, it was rubbish
    I have found contradicting info on the weight but iyt cannot be more than a few kilos for just the hydraulic pump as that is the only additional part whereas the gear linkage and clutch able have been deleted.

The double clutch sytems are fundamentally different as those have the box always in twó gears and switch form one to the other by operating both clutches.
    The Toyota system is much more conventional; really just electronically/hydraulically operating the very same clutch as the foot operated one.
    The double cutch system have the goal to make gear changes near instantly. The downside is a weight penalty ánd complication. It is definitively even more complicated than the Toyota SMT.
    The Toyota solution is not lightningly fast but apart from for drag racing or track days neither of which I want, it is not a handicap imo.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    With the seats nderway and just about everything else marked ´done´ on the list, the crossed out Lexan side window are suddenly at the top :-O

Measured the glass and it is about 0.7 m2 together, thus potentially some 4 (max. 5) kilos there...

Please PLEASE tell me again why not ;-)

Looking at the door parts drawing it woúld be possible to do away with the regulator mechanism and ´replace´ it with a recycled safety belt so still have an up or down window.

Last edited by Huertecilla; 15th June 2019 at 23:27.

I totally see you in one of these P

Zee LINKY
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I totally see you in one of these P

Ahhh overlooking the obvious; my primairy hobby:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Was féd up with it.

Took the rear view mirror out.
    It sits in the middle of my road view; a blind spot to the right in front. When stopped for a cross road, an oncoming car moves thus is/becomes visible. When I am nn the move however, cars can be covered for longer/too long, especially when going round corners. I am constantly moving my head to look around the mirror. Since I have two perfectly good side mirrors, I consider a bit less rear view of minor importance than impared vison at the front.

I have left the glued button in for the moment untill I am clear about what the periodic inspection rules are.

Oh and it weighs 300 grams.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bummer

The Lexan windows is a non-starter for road use; no way to sort the up/down in any way practical.

Secondly the door mirros are only 0.8 kilos. Toyota did a perfect jib with those. There is about 0.5 kilo to be won but only at redudec rear view and loss of electric adjustability; not worth it.

Seats still under construction; hopefully here end of the week, but doubt it.

Because the rubber lip on the rear deck has such a positive effect, decide to add a lip under the front bumper and try something of a diffuser at the rear. Should reduce lift at the front and drag at the rear. Will take some time though as they are coming with the slow boat from China...

Taking out the interior mirror is sofar a success. I like the elimination of the blind spot in front and sofar have not missed the deleted rear view.

Banned
    Blog Entries

YESSSS!!!!

My RCC Mk.3 bucket seats are ready!
    With the ´alcantara´pads just over 5 kilos each.

Modified the OEM seat mounts/rails and they are now 8 kilos in all. That is a bit heavier than I would have liked but that is the price of rigidity; like a chassis brace.

That makes the total <19 kilos.
    Should save some 14 kilos.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Some highway kilometers yesterday so the first opportunity for the front rubber lip to proove itself. Again, like all small aero additions sofar, a surprisingly noticeable difference. The 5 cm lip apparently effectively reduces front lift as at highway speeds the front is a lot more stable, planted.

Also tried a cardboard ´Mongo´; a handpalm sized triagle betwee mirror and window opening. The difference in buffetting is jaw dropping. Agaín only a minor aero change but só noticeable!
    If only I could find acrylic ones.

Some highway kilometers yesterday so the first opportunity for the front rubber lip to proove itself. Again, like all small aero additions sofar, a surprisingly noticeable difference. The 5 cm lip apparently effectively reduces front lift as at highway speeds the front is a lot more stable, planted.

Also tried a cardboard ´Mongo´; a handpalm sized triagle betwee mirror and window opening. The difference in buffetting is jaw dropping. Agaín only a minor aero change but só noticeable!
    If only I could find acrylic ones.
    You are going to have to treat yourself to a 3D printer

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This morning modified the inlet of the standard airbox.
    Since the original horn/elbow is the way it is with very good reason I prefer to retain it and accept the flow restriction at the high rev end.
    The duct through the inner wheel well is not really a limitation and basically only reduced inlet noise.
    With it gone though, the entry of the horn can be improved; the bell shape can be opened up entirely.
    In itself a very simply job but mán what a fáf is that plastic of the inner wheel well, more accuratelty the old brittle plastic push fasteners.
    Anyway. done it and as a bonus it is 750 gramms removed 8)

The complete OEM intake system:

The modded horn, duct delete:

Last edited by Huertecilla; 16th July 2019 at 11:22.

is it now pointing forward? assuming you still have an air filter

Banned
    Blog Entries
    is it now pointing forward? assuming you still have an air filter
    The ´snorkel´ on the air filter box ends behind the lhs rear light unit.
    It sticks into an elbow onto a duct forward through the wheel well. It connects to the engine compartment behind the battery/fuse box.
    The side air entry opens into both the wheel well and the engine compartment. As such the air duct takes fresh air just entering the engine room.
    Nów the horn sucks in from the back of the wheel well. The air is at least as cool there and múch less turbulent.

It is the same as the TRD inlet mod but for their ´straight´ diameter aluminum horn with bell shaped entry. Length/bend is identical to the OEM plastic.
    I basically copied TRD using the plastic tapered horn.

The popular mod is to simply replace the tapered horn by a straight tube, thus to the duct. The resulting removal of the restiction gives more power at the top end but at a nóticable cost of tractability.

The TRD pipe is said to give more top end still at the same perceived loss of lower end flexibility.

With my hybrid mod I may have gained 3/4 of a hp all over and also shed 3/4 of a kilo: WAY TO GO!!!

Master

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you very much indeed.

Quite an interesting read too.
    This particular car is quite well known as it is a long running project but not the details. You very rarely find such a detailed analysis and never ever on a modded ZZW30.

Lóve the rear wing ofcourse

Banned
    Blog Entries

Red face Oh my....

Not my car btw. but one can see where this is going ;-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The passenger bucket on the adjustable (RHD driver´s side) OEM mountings.
    At the front the bolt are already loosely fitted. At the rear the OEM brackets need to be raised 4 cm.

The driver side will be mounted on the current onder under the OEM seat.

Both OEM seats will be put on the non adjustable runners so they can be refitted in minutes. Either for a charming company objecting to the polyester bucket of for MoT.

Those seats look superb. I've been thinking again about a Tillett seat on the driver's side with the standard one removed from the passenger side, but easy to put back in (around two minutes) if I want to stick in a child seat.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Those seats look superb. I've been thinking again about a Tillett seat on the driver's side with the standard one removed from the passenger side, but easy to put back in (around two minutes) if I want to stick in a child seat.
    I thought about that as it is obviously half the expense too. I drove around with only one seat for a while and it just bugged me. Also it makes the driving sounds weird. Not worth the saving and loss of funtionality. With two seats I may need to swap back to OEM for the both charming companies but impomptu passengers will simply have to put up and smile.
    I decided on using the OEM mountings to makes swapping as simple as possible. Not sure I can manage in four minutes but make it five and five more for getting and taking back the seat.

The new seat do look rather spartan btw. which is multiplied by the absence of plastic covering rails and mechanism. Now Í like that but the c-company... well, let´s say not. I will not say even that about the comments and threats about the expense/comfort, but as she concludes; I do what I want anyway. So true :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    and another thing to do:

You spending all your pocket money now

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

Sourcing in the UK; enjoying the rate of the currencies and free movement of goods.

:o :o the pound dropped another cent! Worth waiting a few days buying stuff in the uk. Had éxcellent dinner last night; spent 36€ for three, drinks included. That is... wait for it ... one week on the total I want to spend.
    A bit long though, a week.
    Buying now however, will not see it posted till Monday at the earliest. So better buy Monday and save 15€, which buys the whole week breakfast on the town square. Nice compromise ;-)
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 10th August 2019 at 11:10.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That´s one underway; the de-cat mid pipe (should be 5 kilo less and 5 hp more):

That´s one underway; the de-cat mid pipe (should be 5 kilo less and 5 hp more):

[img]
    And 5db louder :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool

And 5db louder :-)
    I wish. The superbike no-muffler does not do much. Without the cat it is a 4 in 2 in 1 straight through with a bit of absorpion damping. The crux of all however is the loud pedal. If you feather that one and short shift it is ok. Well, almost. Definitely not in Harley Davidson with ´sports´pipes loud territory though.

I just put a new clutch cable in the Renault £200 and had to pull some favours to even get it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talking

I just put a new clutch cable in the Renault £200 and had to pull some favours to even get it.
    Exclusivity is overrated.

Oh, back to cars, that is an expensive cable!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries

I like those, what are they like on a bumpy road?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like those, what are they like on a bumpy road?
    1 cm. of padding better than the floor

They are nicely ergonomically formed so they are quite good; they hold you better than the OEM seats and all forces are spread over the maximum surface area.
    The OEM seat are on the soft side of firm and offer very little support, so although they sit comfortably, you move about on bumps and all; you almost end up hanging on to the steering wheel. Well, not thát bad ofcourse but you get the idea the idea: The crux is that the buckets mean you do not need to brace yourself.

For the rest they are as good as the car´s suspension so I am agaín pleased to have the OEM springs/dampers!
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 14th August 2019 at 23:34.

Master
    Then you were driving it wrong. The DCT's excellent, but you need to learn how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Then you were driving it wrong. The DCT's excellent, but you need to learn how to use it.
    I've never driven a DCT, but would consider for my next car. What do you need to learn to be able to use it?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Then BMW is missing a trick there.

Good morning and welcome btw.

Peronally I think the principle of dc for seamless changes awesome. Not so much the complications needed to make it work. Same thing the smt on mine. It is brilliant in concept and to drive but bottom line nothing beats the simple, reliable functionality of a 5 speed box and mechanical clutch. However much I lóve the smt, if I had been aware of how complicated it is, I would have gone traditional.

Really, any road car that when you put it into a driving mode that then Kangeroos down the road is rubbish! especially when it can be fixed by installing the gearbox map from another BMW,

I don't need to learn anything, it shouldn't do it, it is crap mapping, even the dealer thought it was a fault as every M4CP buyer had complained. If it is so good how come its successor is going back to the ZF normal TC gearbox. In years to come it will have the reputation as a dog, once the fan boys leases end residuals will go down the toilet and you will see them getting abused in supermarket car parks at night.

one thing I have learnt though is how bad BMW's are having driven a Mercedes for a few months, and mine does have a double clutch box.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Really, any road car that when you put it into a driving mode that then Kangeroos down the road is rubbish! especially when it can be fixed by installing the gearbox map from another BMW,
    Again; BMW and the dealers missed the trick. If BMW for some reason could not change the mapping off factory then surely the dealers should have, or at léast offered it for free.
    If all customers complained that surely dealers shoúld be more pro-active with the simple solution on hand!

Bottom line it all points to back to basics imo; even wind-down windows!! Would also make cars a lót lighter thus safer. But alas, also cheaper and that is not good for business nor State revenue: More modern crap is also more built in obsolescence, again more revenue for all.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Chuffed!!

Fínally sourced a sheet of TwinAir filtering foam.
    37 € and enough for three inserts.
    Better flow ánd better filtering because these open cell foam filters are centrifugal filters with a minimal coating of sticky fluid catching the particles. It needs cleaning/replacing sooner than a paper filter but that is a small price to pay for a sports filter that actually fílters.

Right now the rear tubless of the mtb. Want it ready asap for more cycling in the cool of the evening, shedding kilos from myself too. Still shocked by the 20 kilos wide BMI zone, by Jove that is 20 kilos potential to go while I already am in the green...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Back to the headrest fairing/ tonneau I am surprised to learn how widespread those are. Thin on the ground which explains not noticing them, but they áre availeble for the MX5, S2000 etc. Ford even offered them as a factory installed option for several model years Thunderbirds.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Where the legend starts

Both interesting and funny too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWhEqQCg2W8

Oh and important:

"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool (on the touge) too." - Keiichi Tsuchiya

in that spirit (pun intended) having fresh tuna sushi with salad for lunch ánd going out cycling again in the evening.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 17th August 2019 at 11:36.

That looks very purposeful, nice to hear you can put the standard seats back in fairly easily if you need to.
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Is there sound on that video? For some reason I don't get anything
    Both interesting and funny too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWhEqQCg2W8

Oh and important:

"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool (on the touge) too." - Keiichi Tsuchiya

in that spirit (pun intended) having fresh tuna sushi with salad for lunch ánd going out cycling again in the evening.
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    Is there sound on that video?
    Nope.
    You get english subtitles tough.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    That looks very purposeful, nice to hear you can put the standard seats back in fairly easily if you need to.
    One of the reasons to opt for the OEM mounts.

Since a composite rear lid is too expensive for my taste, the last weight reduction mod will be the decat pipe. After that it´s on the weighbridge again.