closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone else watch Ideal World TV when the watch show is on?

Anyone else watch Ideal World TV when the watch show is on?

Happened to be flicking channels last night and caught 15 minutes of the Ideal World (“QVC” in old terms) watch show on Freeview. They have some guy called Kevin Reynolds who I looked up and runs something called The Watchbase UK but I can’t work out what he actually does. Can’t believe the spiel they use to flog “genuine Russian” (made in Lithuania) watches.

Last night they had this monstrosity...from a brand called Charmex (which I’ve never heard of and if you’d said what does “Charmex” produce, I’d have previously guessed loo roll). RRP £4999 with a sale price of £3999 and the presenter saying they’d taken 3 orders with 2 left in stock.

Even though not my taste, I can understand someone buying a couple of hundred quid Vostok but who on earth spends £4000 on a watch from a TV shopping channel?!

Master
    No never watched it.
    However on east mids news someone yesterday being interviewed having a pint was wearing a Pluto Daytona!!
    Mega bucks.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Worth a read if you don’t know about the watch

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/cx-swis...-watch-review/
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I watch it occasionally if bored and want a smirk about some of the stuff they come out with. They do sometimes have some good stuff on at reasonable prices like Traser and Eterna. I have no idea what to think about Vostok Europe. Some people on here seem to like Spinnaker and they are on there too. The worst BS is probably about the Thomas Earnshaw brand.

Its so ugly its cool.
    Not 5k cool but cool enough for me to buy it if one came up at a sensible price.

There have been several Charmex owners on this forum. (There's 84 posts that mention the name 'Charmex'.)

I think Rajen owns one currently.
    ______

​Jim.

Remember a few of these kicking about on the forum a good few years ago. Certainly a chunky beast...........

The crystal is 10mm thick saphire! It's built by CX (Montres Charmex) in Switzerland so it's not Russian and it holds the Guiness record for the world's deepest dive watch at 20,000 feet. It runs a COSC Chronometer certified ETA Valjoux 7750 automatic chronograph movement and the case and bracelet are titanium.

The following video shows it surviving a water cannon, being shot at and blown up with explosive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNsrYupbjIw

I think I might want one ;)

Wow! Never heard of them before. Still struggling to believe that the TV shopping channel actually shifts these at £4000 though. I'd have thought the target market that just happens to decide to spend that amount when watching TV must be pretty small. Nothing to do with any preconceptions about who shops on QVC but £4k products aren't what I'd expect them to flog based on it not being a spur of the moment type purchase.

The actual watch, I'm imagining more of a curiosity object to own rather than a wearable piece.

That's a good read, thanks. I'm sure there's at least one owner of that watch on the forum. I've been aware of the brand for a decade or so after an ex colleague and TZ member (Nobbyy) owned one of their dive watches. It was a beast of a thing but wore really quite nicely. Was around the £500 mark I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Worth a read if you don’t know about the watch

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/cx-swis...-watch-review/

Quote Originally Posted by eyespy View Post
    The following video shows it surviving a water cannon, being shot at and blown up with explosive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNsrYupbjIw
    Love the OTT'ness of that...makes me think I'd have bigger problems to worry about if I was wearing the watch under it's test conditions...like no longer having an arm to wear a watch on!

Apprentice

Ideal world

I watched Ideal World last night and saw the watch you are talking about. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Omega build a watch last year (or 2019) that can go even deeper, I think they call it the ultra deep.
    I think that may now hold the record but obviously it was never going to get a mention.

But Ideal World is very clever in the way they try and sell stuff, just listen to what they say and the way they say it. For me, the Swan & Edgar brand they flog is the worst, now that Constantin Weisz appears to have disappeared.

One last thing. Why is a 20,000 ft dive watch a chronograph? What is all that about?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAlba View Post
    But Ideal World is very clever in the way they try and sell stuff, just listen to what they say and the way they say it. For me, the Swan & Edgar brand they flog is the worst, now that Constantin Weisz appears to have disappeared.

One last thing. Why is a 20,000 ft dive watch a chronograph? What is all that about?
    Yes, the selling is what hooked me for a bit. In particular that Kevin chap uses every line in the book including "the CEO of [insert watch company] personally agreed this very special deal" and also promoting a watch based on the number of jewels in the movement. That is why I was so surprised to see such an expensive watch being sold.

I also can't fathom why special editions to commemorate very random events would be popular. One watch replaced the seconds hand with a rotating disc with some satellite graphic to commemorate the Sputnik satellite. Kevin said you should buy this so that you could go to the pub and tell your friends the story of the Sputnik satellite.

Apprentice
    You should also try and catch it when Peter Simon (the ex Blue Peter presenter) is on selling watches. He is the King of spin, you have to hear him compare £250 cheap made watches to the height of horology, it's amusing if nothing else.

But as the number of watch programmes they show increase, I guess someone must be buying.

Master
    Last night they had Accurist.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Last night they had Accurist.
    Missed it last night. The TV was on the same channel when I turned it on and they were trying to flog an inversion table.

I wouldn’t buy anything from them I named and shamed them on Faceache oh boy that got their attention they coughed up a refund within 24 hours!

Anyone else watch Ideal World TV when the watch show is on?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    The yellow one is the pick of the dials
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th April 2021 at 19:33.

Slip that bad boy under your slim fit Smyth & Gibson cuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post