closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watchfinder on-line estimates

Master

Watchfinder on-line estimates

Hi all,

Just looking to sell an Oris and thought I would give the above a go.

They got back to me with an offer between 2 figures. The middle of these is actually quite good IMO!

Does anyone know if, once the watch goes off they actually honour this quote? Would be interested to hear folks thoughts.

Master
    I sent them an Oris last autumn. They gave a range and when they received the watch they offered me the lower as they said it needed a service. I said how could that be on a 3 months old watch so they upped it to mid-range I think, not top.

Journeyman
    Wonder if they are like webuyanycar and suddenly price goes down when they see it

Depending on the condition and desirability, they’ll generally offer either the top or bottom figure. I believe it’s quite unusual for them to offer somewhere within the range but I’m happy to be voted teed on that one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I sent them an Oris last autumn. They gave a range and when they received the watch they offered me the lower as they said it needed a service. I said how could that be on a 3 months old watch so they upped it to mid-range I think, not top.
    Thanks Mark, similar scenario here. Watch is 5 months old and I’d be reasonably happy with the middle offer although I know it’s as good as new..

That’s what I always thought. They bank on you accepting the offer as it’s already with them and is an easy sale. Good model actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1988 View Post
    Wonder if they are like webuyanycar and suddenly price goes down when they see it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Depending on the condition and desirability, they’ll generally offer either the top or bottom figure. I believe it’s quite unusual for them to offer somewhere within the range but I’m happy to be voted teed on that one.
    Encouraging stuff as the watch is perfect, even the pickiest buyer couldn’t dispute that. I was actually expecting a silly offer but looking at their website they don’t currently have any of the same model in stock.

Craftsman
    I’ve used them a fair few times and even on mint stuff they’ll offer me the lower figure. I just say no, challenge why they’re knocking money off and usually they would revise their offer and and give me the top price anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    I’ve used them a fair few times and even on mint stuff they’ll offer me the lower figure. I just say no, challenge why they’re knocking money off and usually they would revise their offer and and give me the top price anyway.
    Great advice, thanks Nick. Sounds like it may be a bit of a battle but you get there in the end!

Both times I’ve sold to them, they offered the mid-value of the range…which was exactly what I would have expected to list on SC for. Generally I’d list on SC first. First watch wasn’t selling here then as soon I handed the watch over to WF there was a flurry of enquiries!

Journeyman
    I've just checked to see how much they would offer me on a couple of my watches.

Craftsman
    I exchanged a watch last month with them, watch was like new but strap was worn and calf skin so would need replaced. Gave me the top end of the estimate range, no questions.

Also got a discount on the purchase.

First time using them and it was a very good experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    I exchanged a watch last month with them, watch was like new but strap was worn and calf skin so would need replaced. Gave me the top end of the estimate range, no questions.

Also got a discount on the purchase.

First time using them and it was a very good experience

Good to hear Peter thanks. I might put it on SC for the middle estimate to give folk a chance but the hassle of posting etc. worries me a bit tbh.

If I do end up going with WF I’ll be sure to share my experience.

Thanks again all.

Always haggle to the upper quote. I have heard many have done, I personally did it with Panerai I sold them. They offered me the lower of the two but ended up honouring the upper one.

I’ve used them a lot of times of the years and have never had an issue always receiving the agreed upper offer.

I’ve sold to WF maybe 5 or 6 times and never been offered anything less than the higher offer once they saw the watch, generally speaking I’ve got them to up their offer before I went and they’ve always paid the higher of the prices offered.

Mark Worthington Jewellers are always good for their word too by the way....

Journeyman
    They come back with an offer of £2850-3050 on my 2020 Seamaster 300m which is about what I expected for a trade sale probably get £3200-3300 if I advertised it myself . So prices don't seem to bad.

Im also waiting to see what they are offering on a watch I'm picking up soon as they have the same watch up for £1700 above retail .

Craftsman
    Sold a few watches to watchfinder, never had a problem always normally offered the low offer upto inspection but can revise the offer to the higher end if there’s not much wrong with the watch

Master
    They come back with an offer of £2850-3050 on my 2020 Seamaster 300m which is about what I expected for a trade sale probably get £3200-3300 if I advertised it myself . So prices don't seem to bad.

Im also waiting to see what they are offering on a watch I'm picking up soon as they have the same watch up for £1700 above retail .
    I was offered the same for my 2020 SMP 300M when I enquired so must be their standard. I’ve seen a few sell on SC for that range last year so it’s probably a fair offer really.

Out of interest, for high value watches being sent in for final evaluation to them, are you as the sender responsible for the insurance during transit (as you would be if conducting a private sale through SC or elsewhere) or do Watchfinder offer a set rate arrangement with a courier?

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    I was offered the same for my 2020 SMP 300M when I enquired so must be their standard. I’ve seen a few sell on SC for that range last year so it’s probably a fair offer really.

Out of interest, for high value watches being sent in for final evaluation to them, are you as the sender responsible for the insurance during transit (as you would be if conducting a private sale through SC or elsewhere) or do Watchfinder offer a set rate arrangement with a courier?
    I’ve never sent them a watch but I believe they send you a ‘postage pack’ which includes full insurance.

From their website....

Free Home Collection
    You'll get an estimate on your watch. If you’re happy, we’ll collect it for free at your convenience. We’ll even send you the packaging.
    Last edited by spuds; 6th May 2021 at 21:19.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I’ve never sent them a watch but I believe they send you a ‘postage pack’ which includes full insurance.

From their website....

Free Home Collection
    You'll get an estimate on your watch. If you’re happy, we’ll collect it for free at your convenience. We’ll even send you the packaging.
    I concur - picked up by DPD - fully insured (covered by WF).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post

They say they send you the packaging and collect so I would assume it would be insured by them ? I have a watchfinder close to me so I would go to them In person.

Master

From their website....

Free Home Collection
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I concur - picked up by DPD - fully insured (covered by WF).
    They say they send you the packaging and collect so I would assume it would be insured by them ? I have a watchfinder close to me so I would go to them In person.
    Thanks all, that’s good to know. I may well take them up on an full estimate on my SMP at some point in that case, especially given all the positive feedback on achieving the higher estimate price!

Craftsman
    I got a quote from them on a Bremont I was considering buying that had a heavy discount, bought it, kept it a few months then part ex the Bremont and actually made a small profit, can’t argue with that

I suspect as long as the watch is as you describe to them they’re not incentivised to be pedantic

Blog Entries

Consider they are a business. I have seen them offer £12.5K-£13K on a watch they retail at £18K+ - I'll let you do the math. It does depend on the watch.

Don't accept the first offer - they may go toward higher offer if pushed.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th May 2021 at 21:31.

All very straight forward when I used the service in lockdown.

I had the package dropped off by DPD in the morning, collect that afternoon and the watch was with WF the following morning.

Journeyman
    Do they give you a better price if you are part exchanging your watch against another?

Blog Entries
    Do they give you a better price if you are part exchanging your watch against another?
    Perhaps a bit more give-and-take as they are on the buy and sell end. Try to negotiate with the buyers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Consider they are a business. I have seen them offer £12.5K-£13K on a watch they retail at £18K+ - I'll let you do the math. It does depend on the watch.

Don't accept the first offer - they may go toward higher offer if pushed.
    They do seem to work on pretty high profit margins based on what they have watches advertised at .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    All very straight forward when I used the service in lockdown.

I had the package dropped off by DPD in the morning, collect that afternoon and the watch was with WF the following morning.
    That’s a pretty amazing turnaround by any standard! Reading this thread, my estimation of WF has definitely gone up.

For high-value watches (>£20k), I personally wouldn't feel comfortable posting it to strangers (WF) - what's to stop them doing something disingenuous (e.g. at worst, switching it for another)? Even if I had handed it in to WF personally, I'd like to keep it in sight at all times. I don't think of myself as that untrusting either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    For high-value watches (>£20k), I personally wouldn't feel comfortable posting it to strangers (WF) - what's to stop them doing something disingenuous (e.g. at worst, switching it for another)? Even if I had handed it in to WF personally, I'd like to keep it in sight at all times. I don't think of myself as that untrusting either.
    If that's your thought process I would probably reassess your opinion that you are not untrusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If that's your thought process I would probably reassess your opinion that you are not untrusting.
    Possibly.

Added > but, then, I would suggest that someone happy sending a £25k watch to strangers to "assess and return" with no qualms is too trusting.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 7th May 2021 at 00:18.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Possibly.

Added > but, then, I would suggest that someone happy sending a £25k watch to strangers to "assess and return" with no qualms is too trusting.
    My take on it would be you aren’t just sending your watch off to some stranger from eBay…it’s probably the largest secondhand watch dealer in the world with an annual turnover of about £80m. If you want to sell a high value watch, I’d say there is less risk in sending it to WF compared to arranging your own meeting with a private individual.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    My take on it would be you aren’t just sending your watch off to some stranger from eBay…it’s probably the largest secondhand watch dealer in the world with an annual turnover of about £80m. If you want to sell a high value watch, I’d say there is less risk in sending it to WF compared to arranging your own meeting with a private individual.
    +1 as WF are not “strangers”. There are various resellers I would trust (although getting the best deal maybe not) and WF is one of them. You can take your watch to them in store as well if you don’t want to post.

I have personally dealt with them on quite a few occasions and have had no problems (except some links not being present on purchase, which is another thread topic). They pay promptly both on sale and trade options.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Hi all,

Just looking to sell an Oris and thought I would give the above a go.

They got back to me with an offer between 2 figures. The middle of these is actually quite good IMO!

Does anyone know if, once the watch goes off they actually honour this quote? Would be interested to hear folks thoughts.
    OP - yes, they may try a cheeky lower offer, but insist on the original quote or your watch back - they may meet halfway or higher. Do say how you get on!

Craftsman
    I was offered between 2800-3000 for a piece, which I thought was too low. After a couple of weeks I decided to let it go for what they offered, because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of selling privately. As the offer only lasts 7 days I submitted another request and this time they offered 2200-2400 which I was annoyed about. When I emailed to enquire why the lower price I did not get a response.

Master
    I’ve sold to WF maybe 5 or 6 times and never been offered anything less than the higher offer once they saw the watch, generally speaking I’ve got them to up their offer before I went and they’ve always paid the higher of the prices offered.

Mark Worthington Jewellers are always good for their word too by the way....
    Same for me, the range I've been offered has always been £200. The upper value has always been the one I've been offered following evaluation. WF are pretty good and IME, the most hassle-free to deal with, used their home collection service recently without issue. Yep, their prices are robust but for the right watch, their trade-ins are more than competitive.

Master
    Thanks for all the responses. Most seem really positive. As an aside I have had a ‘personal’ email from someone at WF to ask if there is anything he can do to help with this sale so they seem extremely keen!

I think I’ll go for it and insist on their top end value, which tbh was more than I expected.
    Last edited by Zolawinston; 8th May 2021 at 07:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Most seem really positive. As an aside I have had a ‘personal’ email from someone at WF to ask if there is anything he can do to help with this sale so they seem extremely keen!

I think I’ll go for it and insist on their top end value, which tbh was more than I expected.
    They send that email routinely if you haven't immediately followed through with the sale. Sometimes after a month or so, I've had a further follow up email from one of the regional branches to see if I would be interested in selling...as it doesn't seem to happen with every sales enquiry, I've always assumed this one is if they have a potential buyer interested in that model.

Journeyman
    I checked to see what they would offer on a Harrods black bay and they come in at £2500-2700 and they are listing them at £4650-4450 which i think is expensive. I see it being worth £3000-3200 to trade not that I'm selling just interested to see what it's worth if I had to sell it.

Craftsman
    I checked to see what they would offer on a Harrods black bay and they come in at £2500-2700 and they are listing them at £4650-4450 which i think is expensive. I see it being worth £3000-3200 to trade not that I'm selling just interested to see what it's worth if I had to sell it.
    I've found that a fairly significant factor in their valuations is how many of the watch being valued they already have in stock. With four BB Harrods up for sale and some having been there for quote a while, they will offer quite a bit lower. I made an enquiry on selling a Speedmaster Ultraman when they had one in stock and it was quite a low offer. When I enquired two months later when they had none, I was offered £1k more. I'd agree that for the Harrods around £3,200 would be a fair offer without many already being in their inventory.

I also think they often factor in a potential in-house service cost. When the watch is ~£3000 Tudor as opposed to a £10,000 Rolex this makes proportionally a bigger difference.

Master
    Watch sold to Watchfinder today after they came back and confirmed they would pay the top of their estimate. Total pleasure to deal with from start to finish.

Tried to sell the watch on here for £50 less than they ended up buying for but not a single response so I guess that proves it’s a decent enough valuation. Also zero hassle of posting etc.

I would strongly recommend anyone struggling to shift a watch to give them a go.

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear they are reasonable with the sub-£1000 stuff too and not just Rolex.

On behalf of my father, I helped him sell his watch to Watchfinder last month, and they were superb to deal with.

Packing materials sent out by them via post, they paid for the DHL pick-up & carriage, and provided Insurance too.

Gave me the exact middle-point of their estimate upon examination & money in my account within 24 hours.

Considering the date was broken (I disclosed that before sending), the condition was poor and it was a gigantic, heavy watch that few people can carry off, I fully expected them to bilk me on their price, but no.

Their price was great - more than any similar (and fully functioning) model had sold for on TZ-UK during the past six years (apart from one), and higher than the vast majority on ebay during past 18 months. Father very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Considering the date was broken (I disclosed that before sending), the condition was poor and it was a gigantic, heavy watch that few people can carry off, I fully expected them to bilk me on their price, but no.
    Also good to hear they take on stuff that isn't mint condition too, presumably because they have the in-house service expertise to rectify issues. I know other dealers that either don't take watches like that in or give you derisary offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    presumably because they have the in-house service expertise to rectify issues.
    Yes, I think you're bang-on with that assumption - with a team of watchmakers and a common-or-garden ETA movement, it was probably an easy fix & re-furb for them, especially at the high prices they re-sell for.

Worked very well for me, because I did get some low offers elsewhere, and even a private sale would have been problematic (it was running very, very cleanly on my Timegrapher, but it would require a bit of faith on the part of a buyer, knowing the date was broken).

Master
    I wouldn’t set too much store by their in-house service centre. I bought an IWC Mark XV from them last year. Upon arrival I could hear and feel something spinning around inside the case and timekeeping was very poor. It was returned for them to assess and repair as necessary. It was little different when they returned it to me. I eventually got my money back. I did think about sending it away for service at my expense but talked myself out of it.
    But I then bought my XVIII Tribute model from them a few months ago. No complaints about this watch or the buying process.

I was quoted £5K for my 2020 Rolex Air King last week. I paid retail £5150 for it last year.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk