closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pre-registered cars

Pre-registered cars

The wife has decided she wants a change and driving around yesterday, spotted what turned out to be a pre-registered Mini Cooper sport. It was registered last week of June and had 7 miles on the clock (I say had, as we put another 7 on the test drive yesterday).

Anyway, the car is effectively 20% under the list price and I know mini's aren't discounted very much (don't appear on certain broker sites). I've had a few carwow quotes but its still roughly £2k cheaper. Additionally, there's a £1k contribution if go with their PCP. I've considered this, then pay it straight off. In this case I think pre-reg is better.

Now I know this is a question to ask the dealer but is there much wiggle room with pre-reg cars? The pre-reg isn't an issue, she keeps her cars for a good few years so don't mind the 'second' owner. We've also done it with a p/ex so was wondering if there's more chance of anything if we sell that private. They've offered a relatively decent trade to be fair and while I think she'd get about another £500 private, it's not worth the hassle.

Just after any experience of additional discount on pre-reg? I've been fine haggling good deals myself in the past but not bought/looked at pre-reg before.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quite a few years back I worked in the sales department of a Ford main dealer. We used to pre reg vehicles to hit bonus targets set by the manufacturer on registered vehicles. These bonuses can run into thousands. Or the flip side of the coin is that the dealer hasnt hit their minimum sales quota so had to register a vehicle.

If its the first scenario I would suggest there is money off to be had there. If its the second you’ll be lucky. However dont ask dont get. Just suggest if they knock £x of you’ll sign there and then, if not you’ll walk. If they let you walk then its safe to say they dont have £x in the deal, so perhaps return later with a lower £x.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You’ve just missed quarter end, which is probably why it was pre-registered, so probably now little wiggle room. Still, no harm in asking, even if you end up with free 1st service, car mats or Apple CarPlay.

Also don’t under estimate the ease of part exing your car rather than selling it privately.

So much hassle comes with private sales. Prepping the car, wasting your own time, no shows, low ballers etc etc. Sales corner it ain’t...

just a note , if something terrible happens and the car gets totalled within 12 months , if there is a new car replacement clause on the insurance policy it will not be applicable if the car is pre reg and you are not the first owner.

I would say it's a good deal. I've been looking at a JCW again and there are little discounts on them.

Thanks for the responses all. I suppose there's no harm in asking, nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    just a note , if something terrible happens and the car gets totalled within 12 months , if there is a new car replacement clause on the insurance policy it will not be applicable if the car is pre reg and you are not the first owner.
    Thanks - didn't know that. Worth getting GAP in this instance then (I usually do but haven't for the mrs') although would use ALA

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Also don’t under estimate the ease of part exing your car rather than selling it privately.

So much hassle comes with private sales. Prepping the car, wasting your own time, no shows, low ballers etc etc. Sales corner it ain’t...
    Yeah get that - just easier to p/ex to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I would say it's a good deal. I've been looking at a JCW again and there are little discounts on them.
    Thanks - yeah it does seem a cracking deal to be honest, and the exact spec she wanted - a Cooper S would be too much for her usage really.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Thanks for the responses all. I suppose there's no harm in asking, nothing to lose.

Thanks - didn't know that. Worth getting GAP in this instance then (I usually do but haven't for the mrs') although would use ALA

Yeah get that - just easier to p/ex to be honest.

Thanks - yeah it does seem a cracking deal to be honest, and the exact spec she wanted - a Cooper S would be too much for her usage really.
    gap is good if something terrible happens god forbid, but a waste of money if it does not LOL you pays yer money and takes yer chance

Master
    I've bought (and sold) a few pre reg cars and check with my insurance that they will class it as new, most of the time all was well, discounts?, if you don't ask you don't get, I would respond positively if I was asked nicely to do something to seal a deal, but those who demanded got a polite no, screen price is the best deal, it can depend on how much bonus the salesperson is paid on a pre reg deal, some dealers pay so little (because there is no profit left) that they keep clear of these sales to concentrate on the punter buying something with a bonus at the end.

Master
    Unlikely to receive discount as the car will ultimately be making a loss but offset with back end quarter 2 bonus.

Gap is decent value, if thrown into a monthly PCP it’s a no brainier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I've bought (and sold) a few pre reg cars and check with my insurance that they will class it as new, most of the time all was well, discounts?, if you don't ask you don't get, I would respond positively if I was asked nicely to do something to seal a deal, but those who demanded got a polite no, screen price is the best deal, it can depend on how much bonus the salesperson is paid on a pre reg deal, some dealers pay so little (because there is no profit left) that they keep clear of these sales to concentrate on the punter buying something with a bonus at the end.
    Thanks you. Appreciate the info.

I’m going back tomorrow night and will take the Mrs car with intention of sorting the deal out. Will certainly play along and be nice, friendly and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead View Post
    Unlikely to receive discount as the car will ultimately be making a loss but offset with back end quarter 2 bonus.

Gap is decent value, if thrown into a monthly PCP it’s a no brainier.
    Thanks. Fair point re Gap.

gap is good if something terrible happens god forbid, but a waste of money if it does not LOL you pays yer money and takes yer chance
    Yeah true. I’ve not had it on my last couple but haven’t spent a lot on it previously using ala anyway. Remember being quoted £800 when I bought my Z4M coupe in 2007. I just laughed. They ended up throwing it in for free

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Just like life insurance, car insurance, pet insurance, home insurance, contents insurance, mobile phone insurance, holiday insurance.............

Just actually out of the dealers.

They couldn’t offer any extra discount or incentive. I asked for fuel, tax and a service hoping they’d do fuel and tax or service as a minimum. Best they’d do was fuel.

I’ve left it. Just doesn’t seem enough to entice me to do the deal. I know there’s not a huge distance between us and I’ve effectively walked away for just over £100. But then again they’ve let me too.

Will see what happens if anything. Only worry is we genuinely got too book for her car as part ex and obviously it depreciates

Maybe them giving you top book for the part ex was their way of sweetening the deal but from a different angle.

I’d say give it a few days and maybe wander in at the weekend and see if another £50 could do it.

Just actually out of the dealers.

They couldn’t offer any extra discount or incentive. I asked for fuel, tax and a service hoping they’d do fuel and tax or service as a minimum. Best they’d do was fuel.

I’ve left it. Just doesn’t seem enough to entice me to do the deal. I know there’s not a huge distance between us and I’ve effectively walked away for just over £100. But then again they’ve let me too.
    Sometimes the best deal is already on the table.
    Last edited by number2; 9th July 2019 at 18:16.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Maybe them giving you top book for the part ex was their way of sweetening the deal but from a different angle.

I’d say give it a few days and maybe wander in at the weekend and see if another £50 could do it.
    They’d already given that value Sunday to be honest but fair point.

Saying that the value system reduced the wife’s car by £200 when I gave exact mileage (was 4K more than I thought).

But yeah probably wait now for a bit and may pop in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sometimes the best deal is already on the table.
    You’re probably right. Just always perceive you can get something extra.

On a positive note though I got a call from goldsmiths at Meadowhall to say a Tudor GMT had come in did I want it but would need to collect in next 24hrs.

Yes. Yes I do. I now have that as the dealer I was at was less than 10 mins away. Good timing!

Master
    Congrats on the watch, you now have to hope the car doesn't sell between "a few days" and today, to be honest after I'd offered my best deal I took great delight when a customer came back after a couple of days to look again and I could say "I told you it was good deal, sorry it's sold". Although my granny always said, "what's for you won't go past you".

Please remember pre-reg means second hand, meaning you will be the second owner and this will have an affect on resale value, depending how long you intend to keep it, so can become a false economy.

I was in a BMW dealers in the NW where they had an M4 CS for sale with delivery mileage. The list price was £90k and they were selling it at £60k. I asked the salesman what the story was and he told me that BMW wanted some in the dealerships, so they got a decent discount. Additionally by pre registering it, they hit a target thereby getting further discount off all the stock they ordered in the previous quarter or the future quarter, can’t remember all the details.

I asked that given the £30k discount off list, if they were making any money on it and the salesman said no, they would make nothing and simply wanted to turn their money over.

Congrats on the watch, you now have to hope the car doesn't sell between "a few days" and today, to be honest after I'd offered my best deal I took great delight when a customer came back after a couple of days to look again and I could say "I told you it was good deal, sorry it's sold". Although my granny always said, "what's for you won't go past you".
    Ha - yes I can imagine it easily goes both ways. The mrs has decided she wants to go for it after all so now will probably just phone first thing and fingers crossed.... If it's sold, then wasn't meant to be etc.. In fact, we've found a few pre-reg corsa's tonight, 1.4 SRI VX-Line Nav, basically looks like her Ltd edition but better. They're 6k less. However, its helped her decide she wants the mini

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Please remember pre-reg means second hand, meaning you will be the second owner and this will have an affect on resale value, depending how long you intend to keep it, so can become a false economy.
    That's fine - she keeps her car for a while (this one 6yrs, previously had one for 8) so her intention is 5yrs minimum. Thing is, they would even do 0% on new but the discount wasn't brill

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I was in a BMW dealers in the NW where they had an M4 CS for sale with delivery mileage. The list price was £90k and they were selling it at £60k. I asked the salesman what the story was and he told me that BMW wanted some in the dealerships, so they got a decent discount. Additionally by pre registering it, they hit a target thereby getting further discount off all the stock they ordered in the previous quarter or the future quarter, can’t remember all the details.

I asked that given the £30k discount off list, if they were making any money on it and the salesman said no, they would make nothing and simply wanted to turn their money over.
    Interesting - thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post

You know when a car salesman Is lying etc etc, it’s a secondhand car, that is all it is worth, there are pre-reg M5’s with 45k off at the moment, BNW can’t shift cars.

Don’t look at the sticker prices or believe the salesman, just look at the second hand prices and lease deals.

You know when a car salesman Is lying etc etc, it’s a secondhand car, that is all it is worth, there are pre-reg M5’s with 45k off at the moment, BNW can’t shift cars.

Don’t look at the sticker prices or believe the salesman, just look at the second hand prices and lease deals.
    Hmm always good to hear an expert opinion.

We pre-register vehicles to hit manufacturer targets and unlock factory/back-end bonuses. Invariably they will be sub 50 miles and there will be caveats from the manufacturer about how they are advertised. These particular terms will be similar to rental companies eg. not to be advertised/sold less than 90 days or 5000 miles, this varies.

Demonstrators are not pre-registrations, they may well be used to bolster numbers to hit targets, but they will be used by staff and customers for, well, demonstrations. Having been in the motor trade all my life, I still can't grasp the kudos associated with a consumer buying an "ex-demo". That vehicle will most likely have been ragged within an inch of it's life from cold by the lairy socked salesman, idiot valeter and god knows how many customers. Buying one is a bit like marrying a prostitute.

We, as dealers, rely heavily on manufacturer bonuses associated with registrations. BMW/Mini are a hateful manufacturer and impose some ridiculous targets on their franchisees (they are not alone in the "premium" franchises). I can't and won't go into too much detail but the entire network has been in trouble for some time now. The constant cycle of pre-reg is going to kill a lot of dealers.

The OP for example is looking at buying a pre-reg. You may well have considered buying a new car but have been swayed by the "huge savings". So now the dealership has lost another new registration. But because they pre-registered to hit targets, their quarterly target won't go down for new cars... because they hit it last time right? And when do targets EVER go down anyway... so now they're one natural registration away from their new car target again... which soon snowballs. To us, it's like filling a bucket up with water but it's got massive great holes drilled in the bottom.

I could rant about this for a lot longer but in answer to your question OP, of course there's always room for discount on pre-reg. They want them gone as they're costing them money!

Please still look at deals on new, especially if you are financing as invariably there will be 0% available and discounts towards the end of month/quarter when they're chasing that target.

Thanks for the detailed response Paddy, this is appreciated.

Also makes a lot of sense.

I did actually question the 90 day issue yesterday and they advised it wasn't a problem and is good to go now. Should I push this further? The car was registered the last week in June and other than 7 miles I put on it on the test drive, had 7 miles delivery mileage on it.

I genuinely want to leave it a bit but the mrs wants etc.

We did consider the 0% deals on new and it even comes with a lower deposit but they only knocked £800 off the car. I did get a few carwow quotes yesterday with bigger discounts and haven't played that card yet but the mrs likes the fact the pre-reg car is ready now and will save her having to have hers tested, serviced etc. In hindsight I think I dropped a bit of a clanger yesterday totally discounting finance - I should have just pushed that to see what they'd go to (we have the cash but sometimes finance works better)

Hmm always good to hear an expert opinion.
    What is wrong with what I said? they are secondhanded and it will have a large negative effect on re-sale, I have bought 6 nearly new vehicles over the last two years, two BMW's, two Mercs, and two Lexus's, the only dealers that haven't outright lied were Lexus. as it is now much harder for buyers to establish the history or previous owners of cars it is much easier for them to lie.

Three of the vehicles were corporate, one thing we did establish was that cars are cheaper north of Watford gap.
    Last edited by adrianw; 10th July 2019 at 08:39.

Is there really a big difference on resale with one vs two previous owners?
    Wouldn’t worry me as a buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Me neither - especially as it's likely to be at least 5yrs old when the mrs moves it on.

In fact, during the trade in process, I don't remember them asking about how many owners its had (they've not even asked to see the car)

Me neither - especially as it's likely to be at least 5yrs old when the mrs moves it on.

In fact, during the trade in process, I don't remember them asking about how many owners its had (they've not even asked to see the car)
    Obviously the longer you own the car the less it matters, I assume they asked you the registration number of your car.

One thing people are saying more and more is that the dealers are offering exactly the same for trade ins as we buy any car.

Obviously the longer you own the car the less it matters, I assume they asked you the registration number of your car.

One thing people are saying more and more is that the dealers are offering exactly the same for trade ins as we buy any car.
    Yes they did and they confirmed they use the same system that WBAC use - actually showed it me yesterday due to the decrease in offer on the system due to additional miles (but they stuck with the original price they offered). Basically said WBAC will provide a higher price point to then knock you down. As there's only £280 difference between that and the trade price offered we're happy to trade.

Master
    Blog Entries

I traded in my Honda Civic in February - they gave me slightly more than the price WBAC offered online (I hadn't visited but had put all the defects forward when getting the quote). I asked for more because it had a 5 year service plan than wasn't part of the WBAC offer.

A year earlier they offered about 800 less than WBAC and would not try to match it. So I think the trade is becoming more attuned to these new players and the convenient options they open up for sellers.

OP hope you manage to get the Mini - shame to lose it for the sake of 100gbp.

ATB

Jon

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

No there isn't .

What is wrong with what I said? they are secondhanded and it will have a large negative effect on re-sale, I have bought 6 nearly new vehicles over the last two years, two BMW's, two Mercs, and two Lexus's, the only dealers that haven't outright lied were Lexus. as it is now much harder for buyers to establish the history or previous owners of cars it is much easier for them to lie.

Three of the vehicles were corporate, one thing we did establish was that cars are cheaper north of Watford gap.
    ''Large negative effect'' nope.

Master
    If it was the car either my wife or I had her/my heart set on, I wouldn’t have let it go for the sake of £100.

That sum will pale into insignificance over the 5 years you plan to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    If it was the car either my wife or I had her/my heart set on, I wouldn’t have let it go for the sake of £100.

That sum will pale into insignificance over the 5 years you plan to keep it.
    Absolutely - in fact I was all set to phone up first thing but have actually seen one (pre-reg, says coming soon) for quite a bit cheaper on Sytner's own website albeit in Cardiff. Just awaiting a call back but don't understand the big price difference

''Large negative effect'' nope.
    Barons BMW in Bishops Stortford don't share the same view, obviously depends on the definition of large.
    Last edited by adrianw; 10th July 2019 at 11:43.

OK, so a little bit of a change.

The one I found earlier - exact same model, only differences is black instead of white and no bonnet stripes. However, it's £2250 cheaper than the one we nearly bought yesterday. It is apparently a cancelled friends and family order and has 100 miles on the clock, so not a standard pre-reg, it has been used BUT was only registered last month. It is also the same BMW/Mini dealership and advertised as coming soon on Sytner's own site.

It seems an absolute no brainer and a real bargain (effectively 33% cheaper than its RRP). Second ownership doesn't bother us.

But part of me is dubious and nervous that we're missing something and its too good to be true. Am I being daft?

If it was me buying I wouldn't think twice because if it turned out to be a lemon or any issues I'd deal with it, but my mrs looks at cars totally differently. There's no reason why it should be an issue but the price difference just doesn't make sense. They have said its priced to sell quickly though and I'm sure it will if we don't have it

OK, so a little bit of a change.

The one I found earlier - exact same model, only differences is black instead of white and no bonnet stripes. However, it's £2250 cheaper than the one we nearly bought yesterday. It is apparently a cancelled friends and family order and has 100 miles on the clock, so not a standard pre-reg, it has been used BUT was only registered last month. It is also the same BMW/Mini dealership and advertised as coming soon on Sytner's own site.

It seems an absolute no brainer and a real bargain (effectively 33% cheaper than its RRP). Second ownership doesn't bother us.

But part of me is dubious and nervous that we're missing something and its too good to be true. Am I being daft?

If it was me buying I wouldn't think twice because if it turned out to be a lemon or any issues I'd deal with it, but my mrs looks at cars totally differently. There's no reason why it should be an issue but the price difference just doesn't make sense. They have said its priced to sell quickly though and I'm sure it will if we don't have it
    As you said it seems like a no brainier, it is a main dealer and come with the full mini warranty, and 2k less than you were already prepared to spend.

As you said it seems like a no brainier, it is a main dealer and come with the full mini warranty, and 2k less than you were already prepared to spend.
    Yep, definitely. That much so we've ordered it. In fact, have now been told it is delivery miles only and is being sold at cost. I remembered earlier I know someone who used to work for Sytner finance (a while back) so have spoken with her and she's effectively validated everything they've told us.

Picking it up a week on Saturday, fetching it from Cardiff so going to make a weekend away of it.

Cracking deal it really is, absolutely chuffed to bits

Master
    Yep, definitely. That much so we've ordered it. In fact, have now been told it is delivery miles only and is being sold at cost. I remembered earlier I know someone who used to work for Sytner finance (a while back) so have spoken with her and she's effectively validated everything they've told us.

Picking it up a week on Saturday, fetching it from Cardiff so going to make a weekend away of it.

Cracking deal it really is, absolutely chuffed to bits
    Great, I’m glad its worked out for you.

Master
    Great result, congrats, black/white, show the dirt equally. Enjoy your weekend.

Will it be as quick without the bonnet stripes?

Great result, congrats, black/white, show the dirt equally. Enjoy your weekend.

Will it be as quick without the bonnet stripes?
    Thanks! And definitely quicker, less weight! Ha

My mrs loves black cars, the black/black/black look too much for me!

Master
    Glad you got a bargain and from all accounts nearly every dealer is sitting on so much unsold stock that they are struggling to give it away.

Enjoy your car and pictures when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    That vehicle will most likely have been ragged within an inch of it's life from cold by the lairy socked salesman, idiot valeter and god knows how many customers. Buying one is a bit like marrying a prostitute.
    This made me smile - thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Glad you got a bargain and from all accounts nearly every dealer is sitting on so much unsold stock that they are struggling to give it away.

Enjoy your car and pictures when you can.
    Thanks. Actually really looking forward to collecting. I’ve always been a fan of minis myself so I’m more excited than the Mrs.

The person I know who used to work at Sytner said the same thing re stock and pre registering. Can’t be good for them.

Well we've finally seen the car today (via video) and to our happy surprise it's basically brand new and still in the wrapper/not yet prepped. Was collected this morning with 8 miles on the clock and driven back to the dealer so now has 16 on, not the 100 we originally thought. Car was registered on 14th June.

To say we are happy is an understatement, and I'm still gobsmacked at the bargain we've got. Just shy of £7k off for a what is effectively a brand new car save for Sytner being down as first owner. No issues whatsoever with that as I say the mrs will keep it a long time.

I'm more excited than my mrs, can't wait to drive it home at the weekend! Ha.

Well done, it’s going to be like Christmas

Master
    Superb, did the same myself a few months ago on a pre reg Focus, saved about £7k which worked out at 30%, car was perfect with 15 delivery miles.