closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend an ice scraper for windscreens please

Recommend an ice scraper for windscreens please

Before I go and buy another rubbish ice scrapper from Halfords can anyone recommend a good one or design to look for. I had a great one that came from a rental car once but having changed car 4 times this year it seems to be lost, just spent ten minutes chipping away with my RAC membership card.

Many thanks
    Justin44

Warm-ish water with wipers left on after. If you put the water on it and wait it'll frost up again. I always put warm-ish water in a 2 litre water bottle then drive off immediately. Never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Recommend an ice scraper for windscreens please...
    The wife ?
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 19th November 2019 at 09:21.

Master
    This one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpoint-17...dow+scr&sr=8-1

Money well worth spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Same as mine. The red blade is extremely rigid and scrapes very well, but because it’s so rigid it doesn’t flex at all to conform to the shape of the windscreen. When I use mine it spends to scrape a line about 1cm wide in spite of the fact the blade itself is probably 15cm across. I’m tackling brutal German ice though... might be easier in the UK as the black side flexes.
    Last edited by HookedSeven; 19th November 2019 at 09:39. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post

Available as a twin pack I note - 2 for £11.50

I wonder what they use in Scandinavia? Might be worth seeking their best buys.
    One thing I miss about my old Ford was the heated windscreen which meant never having to do the front, just the sides.

Blog Entries
    2x 2 litre milk containers with water from the cold tap. Pour water on, use wipers, ice gone.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    One thing I miss about my old Ford was the heated windscreen which meant never having to do the front.

I had one of those too. Always did an incredible job.
    Makes one wonder why you so rarely see this fantastic option?!

I’m a big fan of this type, makes the whole business far less brutal.

Carpoint 1723226 Ice Scraper Glove
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004D35OBK/

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Swedish ice scraper. Expensive, but will last forever (can be sharpened when it eventually gets blunt).

Walk out in the morning, by the time the neighbors are halfway through their windscreen I've done the whole car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009SKM7..._qL70Db4R6M38V

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought a new car last year and opted for the winter pack, heated seats and heated windscreen, glad I did.

very efficient, less than a minute and the ice is soft enough to be wiped away, by the wipers while my bum is getting warm. Lol.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Bought a new car last year and opted for the winter pack, heated seats and heated windscreen, glad I did.

very efficient, less than a minute and the ice is soft enough to be wiped away, by the wipers while my bum is getting warm. Lol.
    I despise heated front screens. The filaments in all the cars I've been in create annoying glare at night. Some folks don't even notice it (my wife for example!) but drives me mad.

The Vielda is the best - used it it Berlin and Warsaw https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpoint-17...s%2C138&sr=8-1

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I despise heated front screens. The filaments in all the cars I've been in create annoying glare at night. Some folks don't even notice it (my wife for example!) but drives me mad.
    Can’t say I’ve noticed this, although i dont do a lot of night driving.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I had one of those too. Always did an incredible job.
    Makes one wonder why you so rarely see this fantastic option?!
    Ford own patent.

Can’t say I’ve noticed this, although i dont do a lot of night driving.
    It's very subjective. I couldn't drive her focus at night. But I'm borderline OCD with vision, far from the norm.

Master
    My longest lasting and fave scraper so far - https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Snow-B...per/p/17-110-2

Master
    We have a plastic screen protector that tucks in the front doors across the window, whip it off and away she goes, my car is in the garage nice and comfy.

Master
    50p to one of your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    50p to one of your kids.
    Tried that but he just laughed and asked me to do his, i guess at 17 50p doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, i knew this site would have options.

Regarding heated windscreens, yes its a Ford thing although i believe some Mercs now have it as well, i must agree it was great my wife wanted a Fiesta for no other reason than the heated front screen!

Blog Entries
    Tried that but he just laughed and asked me to do his, i guess at 17 50p doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, i knew this site would have options.

Regarding heated windscreens, yes its a Ford thing although i believe some Mercs now have it as well, i must agree it was great my wife wanted a Fiesta for no other reason than the heated front screen!
    Heated windscreens: was a Volvo V70 option here as well.

When using a scraper: I use the one with the glove. But nothing can stand against a preheater... 10 yrs ago, my wife's (company car) Saab 9.3 had that option. Best invention ever. One of my old Saab 96s has a Calix block heater: plug under the front bumper, wire up to a thermostat and a heater element screwed to the inside of the block (using an existing freeze plug). Crude, prehistoric but it works perfectly. The engine is warmed, starts easily and the windscreen blower sends hot air up to the screen. Scrape off the ice from the other windows and you're ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I wonder what they use in Scandinavia? Might be worth seeking their best buys.
    Most everyone in Finland has one of these. You can reach the middle of the windscreen without humping the dirty side of the car. The scraper part is removable and has three business ends. It’ll outlast the snow brush. Costs less than a fiver. Only downside is that you’ll need a separate squeegee(?) for those misty mornings.

Edit. These come in sizes from about 50cm to 90cm long
    Last edited by Possu; 19th November 2019 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Most everyone in Finland has one of these. You can reach the middle of the windscreen without humping the dirty side of the car. The scraper part is removable and has three business ends. It’ll outlast the snow brush. Costs less than a fiver. Only downside is that you’ll need a separate squeegee(?) for those misty mornings.

Pretty sure that here the police would consider that an offensive weapon.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Save yourself the trouble and get a FrostBlocker screen cover. There are many different types on the market but I've found this the easiest to use.

Craftsman
    Swedish ice scraper. Expensive, but will last forever (can be sharpened when it eventually gets blunt).

Walk out in the morning, by the time the neighbors are halfway through their windscreen I've done the whole car.

I use one of these, because they are expensive it gets looked after but I didn't realise it could be sharpened

Thanks - solved several xmas presents right there!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure I read somewhere that if you lower all your windows when you get home for about 20 mins to equalise the interior / exterior temp, then they'll be no ice to scrap the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post

I have similar with metal scraper instead of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that if you lower all your windows when you get home for about 20 mins to equalise the interior / exterior temp, then they'll be no ice to scrap the next day.
    Is that because your car will have been stolen ?

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    I almost spilt my beer reading that. Very funny!

Most Canadians will have a variation of this. It’s nice not needing to stretch or reach far.

Craftsman

Available on all Jaguar / Land Rover vehicles.

Craftsman

I love my heated steering wheel as well!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    So your windscreen stays ice free whilst you’re on the AA truck lol

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    So your windscreen stays ice free whilst you’re on the AA truck lol
    Why the anti- Jag crap?

I’ve owned two, never had problems. Current car is an XF 3 litre diesel that’s just turned 9 years old and it’s been virtually trouble free.

Are you speaking from experience or just regurgitating internet rhetoric? OK, some of the Land Rover models had issues but don’t tar the modern Jags with the same brush unless you can back it up with first- hand experience.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Ford own patent.
    True, it’s an excellent feature that my 1990 XR3 had, wifey’s last two Fords had, but (frustratingly) my 2010 Jag XF doesn’t gave!

The filaments are visible if you look for them, but so are the scars on the surface of my right eye that I damaged as a kid if I look for them. Truth is you don’t notice them unless you’re consciously looking.

Craftsman
    Climate screen is available on most German cars which moves the game on from the traditional ford screen.

That said if you buy a JLR car you can warm it up from the app and have been able to since the launch of current XF (2015) which the rest of them still have to catch up on.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgreenwood View Post
    Climate screen is available on most German cars which moves the game on from the traditional ford screen.

That said if you buy a JLR car you can warm it up from the app and have been able to since the launch of current XF (2015) which the rest of them still have to catch up on.
    What’s an app?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What’s an app?
    JLR incontrol app for your phone

Master
    Blog Entries
    😂 I deserved that!

I love my heated steering wheel as well!
    Is it metal? Never found an un-heated one uncomfortable.

Master
    Why the anti- Jag crap?

I’ve owned two, never had problems. Current car is an XF 3 litre diesel that’s just turned 9 years old and it’s been virtually trouble free.

Are you speaking from experience or just regurgitating internet rhetoric? OK, some of the Land Rover models had issues but don’t tar the modern Jags with the same brush unless you can back it up with first- hand experience.
    Sorry I should have been more specific it was more aimed at landrover and yes it’s from bitter experience with rangerover.

Blog Entries
    Why the anti- Jag crap?

Had a Freelander, Evoque and now an E-Pace. Apparently they all should have blown up their engines or been terribly unreliable. I must be doing something wrong because they've all been great cars. I think some people are just jealous, all manufacturers have problems from time to time.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

plastic bag

Filled with warm water, run bag up & down screen, ice melts but as the water is in the plastic bag it doesn't freeze on your screen or wipers

Blog Entries
    A scraper can actually scratch the screen.
    Try warm'ish water in a plastic bag, and rub it over the windows, works a treat

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    A scraper can actually scratch the screen.
    Try warm'ish water in a plastic bag, and rub it over the windows, works a treat
    yeah, try that when temperature drops below actual freezing, say -15 or -20 :)

I use a 5 litre empty mineral water bottle which I fill up in evening and so I am ready to go in the morning. I put the heater on with visors pulled down which apparently helps clear windscreen quicker.

As mentioned I do open windows when parking up the night before which I think helps.