closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sales corner - "asking what i paid for it"

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What percentage of a second hand watch's value erodes in a month? 50%? 75%? None whatsoever?
    Or maybe its treated more like a car in that a big factor is the fact that it has had another owner.

You have a choice of two cars (or watches), both the same age, one had one owner, one had 7. which would you chose assuming all other things are equal and you have not had an opportunity to hold and examine the item?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Or maybe its treated more like a car in that a big factor is the fact that it has had another owner.

You have a choice of two cars (or watches), both the same age, one had one owner, one had 7. which would you chose assuming all other things are equal and you have not had an opportunity to hold and examine the item?
    Or one has had 6 owners, one 7. Does it matter?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post

I find this analogy a bit naive....
    If someone offered me a Rolex Daytona for what it owes them having bought it from an AD I would probably bite their hand off... the fact that it is “second hand” would not bother me especially since I will be farting a huge discount compared to the second hand going rate!
    A watch is not a car and hence the rationale you are presenting does not apply...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I find this analogy a bit naive....
    If someone offered me a Rolex Daytona for what it owes them having bought it from an AD I would probably bite their hand off... the fact that it is “second hand” would not bother me especially since I will be getting a huge discount compared to the second hand going rate!
    A watch is not a car and hence the rationale you are presenting does not apply...

Craftsman
    I have no issues with that phrase as a fair few of us buy used and flip or buy and quickly let go when we realise it's not for us. Much better than 'What you see is what you get" or "condition as per photos" with no explanation.

Grand Master
    I don`t see a problem with asking what was paid provided the watch is in exactly the same condition. However, the seller has to take full responsibility for the condition of the watch and how it's running, it's no good saying 'it was like that when I bought it'. That's a the problem I have with the 'catch and release' comments, when a watch has been taken in trade. Once you own a watch it's entirely your responsibility for it's condition and how its performing, provided the seller accepts that it's fine.

There's always the chance the seller paid too much and is trying to recoup what he's paid, in that case he may struggle.