closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frying pan/ skillet.

Master
    Blog Entries

Frying pan/ skillet.

Need a new frying pan. Our non stick anodised one seems to have the coating coming off. But I'm not sure if this is the case.
    We use olive oil for frying but reading some articles it may not be the best thing to use. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...-oil-is-wrong/

Reading this article they say that cooking with olive oil at high temps is ok but will still carbonise the pan.

https://www.mashed.com/145548/youve-...oil-all-wrong/

So I'm not sure if it's the non stick coming off or it's some form of carbonisation caused by the olive oil.

Either way I wouldn't mind trying either cast iron pan or stainless steel. Seems they are a lot harder to cook with than non stick but wondered what your experience is with these pans. Are they hard to keep food sticking to them or do you just use more oil?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Buy a decent cast iron pan and then season it. Apply a thin layer of vegetable oil using a cloth and heat the pan up until it starts to smoke, then remove from the heat and leave to cool. Do this two or three times with a new pan. This will create a non stick surface which improves over time.
    Each time you cook with it heat the pan up to a decent temperature before adding food…you may use a little oil with the food depending on what you are cooking but as your seasoning improves it’ll become fairly redundant.
    After cooking leave to cool and clean using hot water and a stiff brush only….never allow soapy water in the pan! After cleaning dry and season again.

As above, proper seasoned iron pan will do everything you need.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I think you need both a cast iron pan/skillet and a good non stick pan for stuff like fish.
    The cast iron pan(ours is De Buyer) is brilliant for searing stuff-steaks,scallops,bacon,etc.
    Last edited by Hood; 6th January 2024 at 21:03.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Nothing wrong with frying with olive oil but as above use a cast iron pan and season it or just buy the cheapest non stick one and throw it out when it fails.

Cast iron pans are great but very heavy if they’re any size. I’d suggest going for carbon steel as they’re lighter to handle. Indestructible, they will last a lifetime. I have a set of four in different sizes. The smallest is reserved exclusively for frying eggs and pancakes, and woe betide anyone who ever put garlic in it. The others are used for everything from searing steaks to grilling fish to roasting potatoes. Being all steel they readily go from oven to cooker top and vice versa, but you need to remember to use an oven glove!

The regimen for seasoning and cleaning and maintaining is pretty painless and if the carbon coating they build up gets damaged it’s easy to fix.

Just about the biggest thing to avoid is exposing them too much to acid like vinegary or tomato based sauces- I keep an enamelled pan for those.

Best of all- they aren’t expensive- no fancy poncy branding to think about, and they can be found easily online or from brick-and-mortar catering shops.

Just as an addendum- I do sometimes clean mine with soap and a stiff brush or plastic scourer under a running tap- they get rinsed immediately and re-oiled and come to no harm. Obviously you shouldn’t soak them in soapy water or put them in a dishwasher.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Just as an addendum- I do sometimes clean mine with soap and a stiff brush or plastic scourer under a running tap- they get rinsed immediately and re-oiled and come to no harm. Obviously you shouldn’t soak them in soapy water or put them in a dishwasher.
    The old school view of no soap has been disproved if you approach it like you do. Mine gets soap & scrubbed as needed then straight on the hob / oven to dry and a light oil if required.

I’ve got 2 fried egg sized pans that are so seasoned the eggs just slide out of them without the need for any oil. Almost the work of the devil.

The previous mention of cooking anything overly acidic is very true, especially in the early stages. Once built up, the surface can cope better but I still use other pans for that sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Is the correct answer
    "A man of little significance"

These are the business (one piece, no riveted handles):-

https://www.solidteknics.co.uk/

I suspect myself of Luddism, but I wouldn’t have a non-stick pan near me. Cast iron skillets, carbon steel pans - perfect, and no ropey coatings gradually degrading and coming off (probably being ingested along the way).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Well that link's just cost me £110
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Well that link's just cost me £110
    Thanks
    Remeber to heat up the pan very slowly from the lowest heat setting or it will warp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Remeber to heat up the pan very slowly from the lowest heat setting or it will warp.
    I've already stressed this point to Mrs H and she didn't seem impressed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    These are the business (one piece, no riveted handles):-

https://www.solidteknics.co.uk/
    I do like the look of these. Shame they don't do a 28cm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Thought the point of cast iron is they didn't warp?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Those are spun iron not cast iron.

Master
    These are spun Iron as opposed to cast so are lighter but not as thick I believe.

I've already stressed this point to Mrs H and she didn't seem impressed.
    I have three of their pans, one of which is the largest wok. Fantastic thing but my wife refuses to use it and insists every once in a while on making pretty nasty soggy stir frys in her tatty old non-stick wok (despite thoroughly enjoying the proper stir frys, egg fried rice and so on I cook in the proper wok). On the plus side she knows not to wash my pans. I really want that non-stick wok, and a similarly scratched up non-stick frying pan out of our house though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Those are spun iron not cast iron.
    These are spun Iron as opposed to cast so are lighter but not as thick I believe.
    How slowly is slowly? Does this go for carbon steel also?

Didn't think necassary with cast iron, no idea about spun iron (didn't know there was such a thing until linked here TBH).

Solidteknics described as 'quenched iron', not sure about that either - they certainly don't describe any special precautions.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 7th January 2024 at 01:20.

Master
    Just a case of not blasting onto top setting on the induction
    Half way i'd imagine for a couple of minutes

With cast iron, if the pan is sig larger than the induction plate - and you whazz the heat up too quick - the inner area heats up and expands so quickly that you have a danger of splitting the pan with the differential expansion. Carbon steel is more malleable and not prone to this.

Blog Entries
    Just a heads chaps and at the other end of the market, I follow Al’s kitchen and he recommends SQ Professional NEA pans.

They are three layer/coat?? cast aluminium and I purchased the massive 32cm which is induction good with added discount for 26 quid, it’s currently £34.99.

The quality and the way it conducts heat is amazing to say the least. Given its depth it adds to cleaner cooking and I am using it virtually for everything now, creating Al’s 30min curries, Ziangs Chinese, pasta’s, risotto and one pot roasts.

I cannot recommend these enough

Pitch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Just a heads chaps and at the other end of the market, I follow Al’s kitchen and he recommends SQ Professional NEA pans.

They are three layer/coat?? cast aluminium and I purchased the massive 32cm which is induction good with added discount for 26 quid, it’s currently £34.99.

The quality and the way it conducts heat is amazing to say the least. Given its depth it adds to cleaner cooking and I am using it virtually for everything now, creating Al’s 30min curries, Ziangs Chinese, pasta’s, risotto and one pot roasts.

I cannot recommend these enough

Pitch.
    Was looking at those for my curries, so good to know mate, thanks. Got 2 portions of base left before I need to make a new batch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Was looking at those for my curries, so good to know mate, thanks. Got 2 portions of base left before I need to make a new batch.
    You will not be disappointed buddy. I may pop a new thread up as these are amazing bits of kit.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    What do we think if this pan?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZWILLING-sp...697&th=1&psc=1

Says "forged" iron. I'm thinking this is the same as carbon steel? Not sure what the groves bring to the table.

Just a case of not blasting onto top setting on the induction
    Half way i'd imagine for a couple of minutes
    I start on the lowest heat and leave it for a couple of minutes before getting it hotter.

Says "forged" iron. I'm thinking this is the same as carbon steel? Not sure what the groves bring to the table.
    The grooves or interstices are where the onset of nucleate boiling commences. Nucleate boiling increases the heat transfer coefficient.

At some point, however - the grooves are too wide to make any difference. Probably a gimmick in this case.

Master

Looks a right bugger to clean once you get the char in the grooves vs being on your meat.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    After cooking leave to cool and clean using hot water and a stiff brush only….never allow soapy water in the pan! After cleaning dry and season again.
    Would this not lead to bacteria and other nasties in the pan? I guess the high temperatures may make that redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Would this not lead to bacteria and other nasties in the pan? I guess the high temperatures may make that redundant.
    Essentially, yes. You’re aiming to build a layer of black carbon which is a natural and repairable non-stick coating. The carbon is burnt-on oils and is basically inert. Obviously any identifiable traces of meat or fish get scrubbed and rinsed off and after almost every use I heat the pan to a high temperature and give it another wipe with oil before cooling it and putting it away.

I’ve been doing this for decades and never made myself or to the best of my knowledge anyone else ill!

That pan minus the unnecessary grooves would be perfect.

Essentially, yes. You’re aiming to build a layer of black carbon which is a natural and repairable non-stick coating. The carbon is burnt-on oils and is basically inert. Obviously any identifiable traces of meat or fish get scrubbed and rinsed off and after almost every use I heat the pan to a high temperature and give it another wipe with oil before cooling it and putting it away.

I’ve been doing this for decades and never made myself or to the best of my knowledge anyone else ill!
    Thanks for this. What you are describing is basically how they season their pans in Thaiand as well.

We have had these cast iron pans for over 20 years. They are bloody heavy.

They have never had washing up liquid near them. I simply wipe out any excess oil with kitchen paper and if it needs a bit of a clean out, boil and little water and use a small plastic brush.

Nothing sticks to them. Fried eggs, omelettes just slide off. Perfect for searing steaks as they hold so much heat.

I wouldn’t touch non stick with a barge pole.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That pan minus the unnecessary grooves would be perfect.
    Ha yes. Probably going to have to be a de buyer then

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buyer-5110-...s%2C145&sr=8-3

Master
    WTAF is that cast iron had done to it? Turning food over with a hammer & chisel, or using it to chop wood in? lol.

That is not a nice build of up seasoning, that’s just layers of crud. Should be smooth and hopefully a little sheen to it.

It’s all out the pan and up the handles too. Other views may vary but I’d be salt scrubbing the hell out of that and starting again. My cast iron egg grills have a better finish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    WTAF is that cast iron had done to it? Turning food over with a hammer & chisel, or using it to chop wood in? lol.

That is not a nice build of up seasoning, that’s just layers of crud. Should be smooth and hopefully a little sheen to it.

It’s all out the pan and up the handles too. Other views may vary but I’d be salt scrubbing the hell out of that and starting again. My cast iron egg grills have a better finish.
    I know non stick has it's concerns with dodgy chemicals but I think most non stick do not have them anymore. But oils also give off dodgy chemicals when heated to curtain temps so I wonder if keep reheating pans with the same oil is this as bad?

Master
    I know non stick has it's concerns with dodgy chemicals but I think most non stick do not have them anymore. But oils also give off dodgy chemicals when heated to curtain temps so I wonder if keep reheating pans with the same oil is this as bad?
    I agree, equally there is a quality of non stick pans out there, I use these and they’re amazing:

https://scanpanuk.co.uk/collections/scanpan-ctx

I also then have cast iron for seriously hot tasks, and a few stainless ones for curries to get the stick & char.

If you go above a temperature with oils they do become a little nasty. Avocado oil for me is my preferred oil for high temp, or ghee which I have for my curries but has a bit more flavour to it.

I always clean my iron once cool, soap (as per lodge recommends) and dry it with heat before storing. The old school WUL had chemicals that destroys the seasoning, newer liquid doesn’t do this.

Ours all have a light sheen to them.

I would be taking it back to bare metal and re-season.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 7th January 2024 at 21:02.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    So yours are seasoned nicely vs those monstrosities of pan hell? The sheen is the important part of it all, like a well seasoned wok.

I can’t believe those are non stick vs the carbonised chunks coming off with the food, hence the gouging - or making his own grooves
    as per the diamond coated pan lol.

Can see why they don’t like non-stick if they can destroy a cast coating so impressively.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

I would be taking it back to bare metal and re-season.

I think they need putting out of their misery and given an appropriate send off!

those 3 pans have a bit too much wabi , get them shotblasted and re season them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I think they need putting out of their misery and given an appropriate send off!
    So glad it is not just me. There are folk who do cast iron, and a group that can’t, or don’t, or shouldn’t but still do as they think they can cook.

So glad it is not just me. There are folk who do cast iron, and a group that can’t, or don’t, or shouldn’t but still do as they think they can cook.
    Yeah - they’re off a building site………….

We’re heading for a thread “Show us your pans”………….

Maybe not one for the purists but I’ve been impressed by the Hexclad pan my wife bought me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Maybe not one for the purists but I’ve been impressed by the Hexclad pan my wife bought me.
    Please do tell more, as I’ve been intrigued by those since I saw them advertised. Cannot work out if it’s marketing or science, but they look beautifully made items.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

We’re heading for a thread “Show us your pans”……
    Seems a good thread idea…

Please do tell more, as I’ve been intrigued by those since I saw them advertised. Cannot work out if it’s marketing or science, but they look beautifully made items.
    Yes, nicely made and seems to be a good combintation of the features of steel and non-stick as you'd expect.

I've used it mainly to finish off a steak after sous vide. Easy to get nice and hot, gives a nice sear and easy to clean afterwards.

Can't comment on longevity as I've only had it a few months.