closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterile PAM homages.

Grand Master

Sterile PAM homages.

Ok PAM's have appeared on my radar!.And whilst I could afford one I'd much prefer to try a "GOOD" homage before the jump into the Panerai fire.
    Now I have seen a very nice one on sc,but would like to see yours and hear your thoughts about your PAM homages,or maybe you Just know the best ones to go for out of the many on offer.

Now I don't want to buy a "cheap" homage,I'd much prefer to pay for a top quality spec homage.

Please just your pics and your opinions on the best to buy.

The one I've seen is a titanium 177 Lookey-likey for eg and looks and sounds nice....are their others to consider?.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I'd much prefer to pay for a top quality spec homage.
    God help us

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    God help us
    I always think if nothing to add to the question then move on ;)

Orherwise it will descend into chaos as usual!.

Its a perfectly valid question,we all know homage watches of a lot of brands are available,no need to cringe at this question.

If you can't answer my questions please have some respect rather than criticism off my choice.

Im not after a fake of which their are a vast array of!.

And as I always say,"it's just an interest in watches I/we have!,no one dies doing it.

So no need to be nasty.....no need to be too damn serious either;).

I think that's a sensible approach Paul. A PAM can be rather different in terms of size and shape to the majority of other watches and trying a cheaper alternative before you buy the real thing (as you've said in your post you might well do) will help you decide whether it's for you before you shell out a small fortune. Many here have done the same thing.

Try a PRS-20. One of my all time favourite watches.

David

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think that's a sensible approach Paul. A PAM can be rather different in terms of size and shape to the majority of other watches and trying a cheaper alternative before you buy the real thing (as you've said in your post you might well do) will help you decide whether it's for you before you shell out a small fortune. Many here have done the same thing.

Try a PRS-20. One of my all time favourite watches.

David
    Thanks very much David and the sort of sensible reply I was looking for too ;).
    I think you may be correct in saying others may have gone this route rather than
    parting with several k's on the real McCoy.

Banned
    You could always build your own from the parts list.

http://www.siswatch727.com/showroom/...94289859009504

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post

Cheers,looks interesting and a good option for sure.

Me again Paul. I've done this with Getat and, for the money, they're a cracking watch. The quality of parts was pretty good and the timekeeping on mine was better than a lot of watches costing much more. I suggested the PRS-20 as I thought you were looking for another few levels up from Getat which obviously it is.

Great cheap option though.

Not sure why the "god help us" comment either - I can only assume he thought you meant fake PAM?

I'd go for a PRS-20...never owned one myself, but one that's always been on my radar.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not sure why the "god help us" comment either - I can only assume he thought you meant fake PAM?

I'd go for a PRS-20...never owned one myself, but one that's always been on my radar.
    Will go now and take a look at one ;)

Ta

Manbushie do a cheap Pam 177 look-a-like for $70us when you log on
    It will be just under £50 including the $9 delivery.
    But you will need a new strap to replace the item supplied.
    http://manbushijie.com/productshow-479-6.html

View the "without logo" sales section for their sterile dial watches.
    http://manbushijie.com/products-6-1-2-25.html

I tried a sterile homage before moving up to the PRS-20.
    It was money well spent.
    The Precista will be staying with me for good now.

Grand Master
    I have an interesting one, Sapphire crystal, superlume, swan neck movement, think it's by Getat but not certain, but the timekeeping is spot on and it's my go-to pub watch!

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

You might end up buying a few.
    This $70 California dial is particularly nice.............................................. .... As well as the 177 homage

That's what I did

Master
    Blog Entries
    So many PAMs and too many the same hence I was only interested in two or three models and two of them were ltd editions.

I went for the classic look (372). Love the domed plexi

[

Master
    I wanted an auto so went with this Seagull ST25 powered centre seconds....

.....it was custom built & bought on SC so afraid I don't know where all the bits were from.

Always found Manbushijie & Getat good, reliable, sources for parts & built watches. Both offer custom build options too.
    Last edited by Dapper; 12th May 2014 at 00:42.

One from Getat (siswatch727 linked above), custom built to my spec for about £100.

General fit and finish is excellent. The strap is custom made from Frankie Tso.

Being a 'base' model the canon pinon is the correct height, you'll find on most with seconds hands that the canon pinion is too low.

Movement keeps time to around 3s per day. It's hard to check with no seconds hand but by checking it over a week it was only about 20s fast. Power reserve is a measured 58 hours from the 21,600 hi-beat Seagull ST36.

Sandwich dial is well finished.

Only negative is that crown. It screws down nice and smooth, plenty of turns too, but when unscrewed it needs a slight nudge outwards to move it to the winding position whereas I think it should just pop out to that position under spring tension.

The lugs point down on these ones while on some other homages they stick straight out making them wear bigger.

Lume is the best of any watch I have ever owned!

Ian
    Last edited by marcus fenix; 8th April 2014 at 07:11. Reason: power reserve added

Blog Entries
    I tried 359 hom for a week and decided a PAM was for me so sold it on.

As said they are unusual and it may pay to try before you buy.

That was 3-4 years ago and I am still looking for the right one to come along although I have dithered on a couple and lost them.

Paul

Master

Another vote for Getat, then you can upgrade to Sapphire Crystal and better Lume as they custom build to your own spec!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    To be honest, neither do I now!

I think I assumed you were talking abouot fake PAMs, but only wanting a high-quality fake LOL

Sorry!

I went through the PAM hommage a few years ago and at one time had 4, 3 from the far east but without doubt the best was the JOA hommage with a Hamilton Swiss movement but it did cost about 3 times as much as the others.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I believe JOA are regarded as one of the best homage pieces but i'm not sure whether they're still available.

Frankly, buying the 'best' homage is a falsehood because none will really be like the real deal, other than general aesthetics and approximate weight. The brand haters love to say homages are so similar why buy the real deal? Well self delusion entered the room somewhere, because no homage i know really gets very close for any number of reasons.

If you feel you really want a Panerai, buy the cheapest homage for an approximate experience and then decide if a real one is still for you.

I have this one inbound, pam case but slightly unique dial and hand style:) old pocket watch dial, breguet hands and a swiss 6498 in the back:) paid $200us I think.

loads of options out there. I would be most interested in the movement for the price point.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I believe JOA are regarded as one of the best homage pieces but i'm not sure whether they're still available.

Frankly, buying the 'best' homage is a falsehood because none will really be like the real deal, other than general aesthetics and approximate weight. The brand haters love to say homages are so similar why buy the real deal? Well self delusion entered the room somewhere, because no homage i know really gets very close for any number of reasons.

If you feel you really want a Panerai, buy the cheapest homage for an approximate experience and then decide if a real one is still for you.
    Thats spot on I owned two for a time, in the end I realised PAM design just was not for me. It was a lot of fun tracking down the homages, and money back is a guarantee. Enjoy the search Paul.

.............If you feel you really want a Panerai, buy the cheapest homage for an approximate experience and then decide if a real one is still for you.
    Agreed
    The ones which wear bigger will take a bit of getting used to.
    Having had the Dreadnoughts yourself, you will know what I mean Paul.

I went through a phase of needing big dialed watches (before getting some reading glasses)
    The disadvantages of having a dinner plate sized watch on the wrist, was outweighed by the advantages of being able to read the time.
    Try before you buy.

Master

Brand lovers love to knock homages, often deluding themselves about differences

I've no desire to own a Panerai. However, I like the style so a well made lookalike is perfect for me.

Craftsman
    Can you get the homages for the 42mm sized PAMs, or are they typically only 44-45mm?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Brand lovers love to knock homages, often deluding themselves about differences

I've no desire to own a Panerai. However, I like the style so a well made lookalike is perfect for me.

I don't believe i was knocking homages? I have tried a few and still own one. Before i committed to 47mm Panerai's exclusively i tried several homage pieces. I was simply expressing my view that to say they get close to the real product is delusional. They don't, not even superior JOA's

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward77 View Post
    Can you get the homages for the 42mm sized PAMs, or are they typically only 44-45mm?

Most homage makers offer the 44mm Bettarini case models, that's the regular slab sided Luminor case. 45 and 47mm 'Radiomirs' are plentiful and 47mm 1950 Luminors are offered from many sources too. I'm not aware myself of any homage suppliers offering 42mm cases.

Is the Joa one still in SC - they are a good hommage, nicely made etc...

Getat are OK too and for a Radiomir style then Eddies are excellent...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    I have this one inbound, pam case but slightly unique dial and hand style:) old pocket watch dial, breguet hands and a swiss 6498 in the back:) paid $200us I think.

Oh, that's rather unusual. Very nice indeed, actually.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Oh, that's rather unusual. Very nice indeed, actually.

That is rather nice.

Bea was rather taken with the Radiomirs after I first got mine, so I bought her a full-lume PRS-20 (which she wears a lot, albeit on baby blue/pink straps!). I have to say that the build quality is absolutely superb and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    I went through the PAM hommage a few years ago and at one time had 4, 3 from the far east but without doubt the best was the JOA hommage with a Hamilton Swiss movement but it did cost about 3 times as much as the others.

Well if nothing else it shows that a homage can actually have a better movement, you only need to look at the Brooklyn bridge scandal for proof.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Bea was rather taken with the Radiomirs after I first got mine, so I bought her a full-lume PRS-20 (which she wears a lot, albeit on baby blue/pink straps!). I have to say that the build quality is absolutely superb and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.
    Now then baby blue or pink? I like the sound of that!

I bought an MM to see if I would like the PAM. Nice watch to be honest and a nice cheap pick up.....

Me too... Paid more for the Toshi which I've then stripped back & then saddle oiled to give a more :authentic: look

(Sellers pic BTW)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a PRS20 LE which is a lovely watch - though I find the crown digs in a bit more than I like. So I wear it occasionally and really enjoy the look and quality of it - but think wearing it will have saved me from buying a PAM.

ATB

Jon

I have four MMs, three of which were sourced from Manbushijie at a cost of around £70 each delivered. They are well made and specced for the price and all keep good time. Owning them has also made me aware that if I had the money I would certainly consider buying a Panerai. My only regret is that I did not buy them with sterile dials, so I can neither post photos of them here nor could I sell them through SC if I decide to move any of them on... Simon

Grand Master
    As nice as my MM is I'd rather like to try an even nicer homage of a PAM style.
    So let's see some quality PAM homages guys.

I know their are some as a few tzers have told me so ;).

Master
    PRS-20 is a lovely piece in own right IMO. As much as I loved it the crown on the right digging into the back of my hand started to grate, so I swapped it for the destro I now have. Far better to try at a few hundred then pass on via the community than spend thousands only to be disappointed and possibly lose the value of an homage in depreciation.

Master
    Parnis?

I've had quite a few from Parnis, Getat, etc. but in the end was most satisfied with the chrono with Miyota quartz.

I bought a PVD MM also to see whether I would like a Pam. Surprisingly cheap and surprisingly good build quality, and as mentioned above, now I can't sell it here... and I'm not going to try!

It's a shade large for my smaller wrists but a good cheap beater.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    I have an early Davidsen case and put a 1953 movement in and like it by far the best on a blue ´steel shark´ strap I had made with a minimum of (blind) stitching.
    It was lovingly regulated by Meastro Roldán (Málaga) and is silly accurate.

The thread on the strap http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=steel+shark

on the watch http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?217919-Davidsen

I had a PRS20LE which was a lovely watch but I was a worried I'd muck the crown up at some point with it being screw in and hand wound. I have had a couple of Ray Knight homages which are great quality and tried a Getat but 47mm was too big for me.

I still have this Ray Knight with Swiss movement and have been wearing it quite a bit recently.

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post

loads of options out there. I would be most interested in the movement for the price point.
    That's nice. Where did you get it? For USD200 I'd be tempted to try that.

Grand Master
    Posted in wtb for a nice homage with Swiss 6497 movement ;).

After reading this post a few weeks back I had a good look at the Manbushie webite. Decided to take a punt and ordered something for $79 on 23rd April which arrived this morning. No duty to pay, tracked Royal Mail delivery and paid with Paypal so protected too.

For just £45 the watch (it's an MM dial so I won't post up pics) I'm well pleased. Even the leather strap is decent enough to live with. I went for the cheapest one I could find just to check the seller out, but would definitely buy from them again...good comms to with 4 emails received confirming order received through to dispatch.

Grand Master
    I've recently sold my MM and waiting for a member to get back to me with a good homage he has offered me.
    No details for a week or so tho.