closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: COVID-19 the VOLUNTEERING thread

COVID-19 the VOLUNTEERING thread

I thought I'd start a volunteer support thread as an antidote to some of the other Covid-19 ones.

I'm struggling a little bit to get going on this. I have volunteered with GoodSAM but am also conscious that I have given quite a lot of personal information to this website.

A search using "volunteer" on gov.uk has resulted in the usual rubbish.

Some problems I've had:

I have a current enhanced DBS (well, the school does) but I can't update the picture of it, at least I can't find where I can update the picture of it.
    I have some additional skills and experience that are a bit out of the ordinary but might be useful, I can't find anywhere I can record those.

I know this sounds a bit negative and it isn't really meant to, this has been put together really quickly and is a great effort, but I am left with the feeling that I don't know if I've just joined with 700,000 others or if I've been scammed. I know these feelings are mainly caused by my heightened anxiety issues at the moment but that doesn't really help.

Hopefully we can help and support each other in our efforts to help others.

DBS is not transferable AFAIK.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I've volunteered too (along with 700,000 others) - did it within a few minutes of the announcement. Yes you have to give quite a few details, but I don't think it is a scam - it's the same site/service that the news stories talk about.

They've just been overwhelmed with support (which is good).

I'm more than happy to give up some details and help out if I can.

I would really like to volunteer for something, but my wife would be unlikely to survive a CV attack and is cacking herself about the likely sub-100% avoidance. I do have a primary duty of care to support her self-isolation, but this does leave me with the dilemma of keeping us in provisions whilst being as diligent as possible.
    If (when?) I do become infected, and presuming that I survive, I would be first in the queue to be an NHS volunteer.
    There would be the additional bonus of my being able to buy a Reliant Scimitar, which I am unwilling to do at present as my wife cannot be contorted enough to fit in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Why not, Chris?

https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service

Cheers

Foggy

Not exactly transferable but if a new certificate is registered with their update service it can be checked by any employer.

(Though there is an annual charge for this and don’t think schools normally bother...)

Yep, the update service I linked to, which gives the portability.

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I would really like to volunteer for something, but my wife would be unlikely to survive a CV attack and is cacking herself about the likely sub-100% avoidance. I do have a primary duty of care to support her self-isolation, but this does leave me with the dilemma of keeping us in provisions whilst being as diligent as possible.
    If (when?) I do become infected, and presuming that I survive, I would be first in the queue to be an NHS volunteer.
    There would be the additional bonus of my being able to buy a Reliant Scimitar, which I am unwilling to do at present as my wife cannot be contorted enough to fit in one.
    I think you can volunteer to do phone support?

COVID-19 the VOLUNTEERING thread

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post

Cheers

Foggy
    Beat me to it, but probably won’t help OP!

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I think you can volunteer to do phone support?
    I thought of that, but I have the most boring monotonous voice you have ever heard. More likely to induce depression than prevent it.
    I'm sure there will be something, though I have become the Shopping Mogul for a small band of vulnerable people living close to us, which is some help I suppose.

I was directed to these sites by the .gov volunteering information page:

https://doit.life/coronaresponse?utm_source=gov
    https://volunteeringmatters.org.uk
    https://reachvolunteering.org.uk
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I think they are a bit busy I had an email to say they will take till the 31st to verify ID. I have had DBS in the past but it has lapsed now.

Currently getting on helping my locool Eldredge by doing shopping mowing lawns and taking bins out.

I'm currently trying to sort out volunteering at my local hospital basically doing whatever odds and ends they need doing.

I've got no kids or dependents and my wife is ok with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post

Cheers

Foggy
    Cheers Ian - it was a few years back when I had one, clearly times have changed (for the better).

Master
    I would love to help out, but being a type 2 diabetic stops me from doing it.

I wish NHS Scotland would get their finger out, still no volunteering system setup here.

Check your local county council website, ours has set up a volunteering service in conjuction with local charities.

Must admit I am in 2 minds, feel I should but both my parents and my Mother in law are in the very high risk group (all 85+ with various health issues) so in 12 week
    isolation and are a bit dependent on us for food or any unforseen problems so I dont want to increase the risk of us potentially having to isolate for 14 days
    and dont think I'm the right person for the phone chat.

Obviously the most important thing to do is to stay at home unless absolutely essential, to protect the NHS and save lives. This is also doing your bit, setting a good example, and nobody should feel guilty for doing it. You might be able to help others remotely, for example by making a video call, sending encouraging messages or sharing information about ways to keep amused.

At the moment my wife is tactfully attempting to persuade a stubborn elderly relative to stop going out. A local pilates instructor has been running free classes over Zoom and someone else has been resurrecting defunct IT to help people stay connected. I do the shopping for my parents once a week and do most of the home learning support. Like many we could really do without certain family members coming down with this.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Just reviving this after hearing a piece on R4.

I’ve signed up for this but have heard nothing on the email I gave.

R4 says you need the goodsam app, so I trundled off to the App Store on the iPhone. Guess what, two similar looking apps. Wonderful. Conscious that I will probably have to give significant personal data, clearly I don’t want to install the wrong app.

I know times are difficult.

You will receive an email from them which will have a direct link to the App you need.
    I received mine on Saturday .

It’s the GoodSam Responder App. A white running figure on a red background. I’ll try and post a photo shortly
    Last edited by thegoat; 7th April 2020 at 08:29.

Maybe

I got my acceptance email to become a volunteer at the weekend , I have a Enhanced DBS clearance I am at work this week but may start next week I had a look on the Goodsam app reviews ( you have to download this to be available to help etc..) and the reviews on how to use this have been shocking doesn"t seem to be able to locate where you are some people said they were living in Saudi Arabia !!,
    Anyway I download it next week and find out, not looked into it much but not sure how you go about getting peoples shopping collecting money etc.. and the wait you may have at the Supermarket !, but I suppose that"s volunteering for you do it because it helps others.....

Regards

Craftsman
    As previous posters stated wait until you receive your acceptance email before logging onto the app. The email will include a number of links which advise who to use it and the various roles.

The app itself is a bit clunky as they have adapted it from it’s original use in very short time frame. They need to be congratulated.

There is a Facebook group that answers a lot of questions as everyone is learning this on the fly, it’s a soft launch.