closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex upping production for 2023?

I read this thread and I feel like I can work out who currently owns a Rolex and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    5 digit is at its plateau. 6 digit discontinued has a bit of room and current models well who knows but it aint gojng down
    Agree, essentially anything reasonably popular from Rolex that you can no longer buy new - not that many of us have been able to buy new in the past five years or so!

Master
    They wont. The margin is still the margin. Its simple you buy a watch for 30k you make a few quid. You buy it for £10k. You make a few quid. The only difference being the stock moves quicker when its cheaper.

Grey dealers dont set prices they buy and x and sell at Y it's irrelevant where x is
    I was thinking more about the stock they currently have and don’t want to take a total bath on :)

Master
    5 digit is at its plateau. 6 digit discontinued has a bit of room and current models well who knows but it aint gojng down
    Not sure I agree with that
    I expect the 16610 LV(to end up the priciest of all the LVs given time

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I was thinking more about the stock they currently have and don’t want to take a total bath on :)
    Unfortunately on a brand like Rolex they won't be able to control the price. The only way they could is continue to buy up watches at high prices but this is impossible with a brand that sells over a million watches pa.

They can offer lower prices and hold their prices but as soon as dealers offer lower prices, private sales drop making it harder for dealers to justify higher prices. It will get to the point where the margin sales on Rolex will make it pointless for people to buy to sell. Demand will then drop like the mother of all mothers and the price will crash down.

That's my view anyway

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

I fear that many watch dealers, especially the tax-invisible tattooed Insta-clowns, aren't so fussy - by which I mean operating within the law.
    The relevance of tattoo comment please?

Tattoo Prejudice!
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 23rd April 2022 at 12:23.
    RIAC

I own a couple of recent Rolexs, and I’d be over the moon if they massively increased production. I’ve been ‘on the list’ for a steel/gold GMT for well over a year. If there were no wait lists I’d have been able to spend that time wearing a watch I love.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I own a couple of recent Rolexs, and I’d be over the moon if they massively increased production. I’ve been ‘on the list’ for a steel/gold GMT for well over a year. If there were no wait lists I’d have been able to spend that time wearing a watch I love.

Likewise, awaiting a DayDate2 &/or Skydweller
    RIAC

Likewise, awaiting a DayDate2 &/or Skydweller
    A blue wave dial from the DD2 inside the DD40 case would be ideal.

Failing that the new onyx dial in the YG DD40 in white gold without the baguettes.

Question

They wont. The margin is still the margin. Its simple you buy a watch for 30k you make a few quid. You buy it for £10k. You make a few quid. The only difference being the stock moves quicker when its cheaper.

Grey dealers dont set prices they buy and x and sell at Y it's irrelevant where x is

Huh? Not quite fully understanding your post here Kerry.

If someone/anyone in a retail business (so in this example a Grey watch dealer) buys at 'X' (so that's the level retailer/trader chooses to spend their money on for stock) to sell at 'Y' (the level that the retailer decides is their desired gross/net margin retail spread)........how is 'X' (so your net cost and the basis for both gross and net profit aspirations) "irrelevant"? Thanks.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Huh? Not quite fully understanding your post here Kerry.

If someone/anyone in a retail business (so in this example a Grey watch dealer) buys at 'X' (so that's the level retailer/trader chooses to spend their money on for stock) to sell at 'Y' (the level that the retailer decides is their desired gross/net margin retail spread)........how is 'X' (so your net cost and the basis for both gross and net profit aspirations) "irrelevant"? Thanks.
    Really easy, everyone thinks that if the market crashes Grey dealers loose out significantly all they do is buy at a different price and add a margin, you don’t get caught with stock it turns over too quickly in the fast movers sections. If its a sticky one then the trade would air on the side of caution in the offer knowing at worst they can get out of it at a price they anticipate is low enough.

The reply related to taking a bath, that doesn’t really happen regardless or rather never has even with some shockers from other brands in the past like Harrods Tudor / Some Panerai etc
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 23rd April 2022 at 14:39.
    RIAC

Agreed it won’t affect the watch dealers as worst case they can just cut the margins on any existing stock.

The people who will be affected are those who paid above retail needing to cash in for various reasons. When people start getting offers from the trade at less than they invested the market will be flooded with everyone trying to cash out.

I believe a lot of dealers at the moment are reluctant to buy in stock, unless it’s very keenly priced due to uncertainty in the market.

Really easy, everyone thinks that if the market crashes Grey dealers loose out significantly all they do is buy at a different price and add a margin, you don’t get caught with stock it turns over too quickly in the fast movers sections. If its a sticky one then the trade would air on the side of caution in the offer knowing at worst they can get out of it at a price they anticipate is low enough.

The reply related to taking a bath, that doesn’t really happen regardless or rather never has even with some shockers from other brands in the past like Harrods Tudor / Some Panerai etc

Ok, your post related to a different point/post

My mates Grans bingo partner know a bloke who was SAS who does security for the bloke who cleans the windows at St James and he said
    I’ve met him. Is he called Dave?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I’ve met him. Is he called Dave?
    No Smudge
    RIAC

The relevance of tattoo comment please?

Tattoo Prejudice!
    He's merely painting a picture with words!

What’s to stop Rolex switching the production of the easily available, cheap Tudor range to Rolex, knocking out a few hundred thousand extra for a year or two, job done? I’ve never believed they can’t make enough to satisfy the demand. I genuinely think it’s a last ditch attempt to rinse the wristwatch market before nobody - and I mean the younger generation - buys a mechanical watch any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    What’s to stop Rolex switching the production of the easily available, cheap Tudor range to Rolex, knocking out a few hundred thousand extra for a year or two, job done? I’ve never believed they can’t make enough to satisfy the demand. I genuinely think it’s a last ditch attempt to rinse the wristwatch market before nobody - and I mean the younger generation - buys a mechanical watch any more.

Totally agree with this...once those of us that still remember the late 20th century are gone, nobody will be interested in them.

If Rolex incresed production of sports watches wouldn't the current waiting lists swallow this up?
    Even a 50% increase probabaly wouldn't see any in ADs windows.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    If Rolex incresed production of sports watches wouldn't the current waiting lists swallow this up?
    Even a 50% increase probabaly wouldn't see any in ADs windows.
    Have you read post #34!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not sure I agree with that
    I expect the 16610 LV(to end up the priciest of all the LVs given time
    It's the best one for sure. But the insta generation don't appreciate it so it won't end up the priciest IMO.

Greatest Rolex in its budget range of the last 20y IMO

Likewise, awaiting a DayDate2
    That could be a very long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    How can you be so sure?

They were all in the window (except the Daytona) until late 2016 and often offered with a discount.

The truth is no one actually knows but there are already shifts in the market with prices levelling off and softening.
    Yep, I remember these days well.
    However the brand has changed a lot, and I predict they’ll continue to keep most models away from the windows.

I am absolutely certain we will never get back to windows full of steel subs and GMT’s. Just my prediction.

It’s merely a small correction just now due to season, and what’s going on in the world. I predict prices will creep back up again after summer. Again, just my prediction.

Exclusivity is a huge part of the appeal of virtually all luxury goods the harder something is to get the more people want it, its an inexplicable part of human psyche and the minute your told you can’t have it or you have to be ‘special’ in order to be eligible to be considered for it some will say ok #£@% it but many will want it even more and move heaven and earth to obtain it by paying more for it in the secondary market or buying other stuff to help gain access.

Call it “Special or Limited edition” and quadruple the above effect on our inner 6 year old
    “What your only making 500 and I can only buy it in a 10 minute window at midnight Japan time ! Pass my keyboard”

Its not just Rolex / PP / AP or even Ming I hear its a handbag and shoe thing too ?

Try ordering a GT3? This conversation happened

“Has sir bought from us before” ?
    “Err no”
    “Well you’ll ideally need to buy a Cayenne and a Cayman to get you started on the journey”
    “Eh”

Produce just 50% of current demand and then watch those residuals hold up nicely supporting your list price which you creep up 5% a year. Absolute genius strategy.

Then something quite odd happened such was the demand and the even darker force of FOMO luxury goods didn’t just hold value they started to go up 1st doubling then trippling etc.

Is it in any of the currently profitable manufacturer’s interests be it watches, cars or handbags to start burning the midnight oil and adding extra shifts to produce more product potentially destabilising residuals and exclusivity therefore affecting current market positions? Nope? Is it in their interest to streamline distribution and keep more margin ? Absolutely

Give an established manufacturer the choice of increasing supply by 5% or increasing its prices by 5% at the stroke of a pen or push of a button I know which they’ll choose, but you never know some might do both.

As Kerry said demand outstrips supply even if not 50:1 right now certainly 25:1 (conservatively)

The best way to judge any market strength or lack of either in cars or watches is to follow the auctions where the expression “it’s worth what somebody’s prepared to pay for it”. Rings true, unless of course they are doing something naughty

Master
    The moment an artist takes notice of what other people want, and tries to supply the demand, he ceases to be an artist. Oscar Wilde

Rolex are not going to do what people want, they will continue to do what makes Rolex the most desirable watch brand in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    The moment an artist takes notice of what other people want, and tries to supply the demand, he ceases to be an artist. Oscar Wilde

Rolex are not going to do what people want, they will continue to do what makes Rolex the most desirable watch brand in the world.
    Oscar Wilde died over a century ago and what might have been right for his time certainly isn't right now. We're in a social media age where the artists have to take notice of what the people want if they want to be a commercial success. As with everything, there are exceptions but for the majority, to continue their work they need an income.

Suggesting that Rolex create art is a peculiar comment. Their cosmetic designers are no doubt artists but Rolex is an engineering company pure and simple and a large, multi national engineering company at that. Realistically, it's no different to someone like Porsche. It's a brand which people recognise, some people like, others don't. There's nothing particularly special about either brand but their success in both cases is about creating a perception that if you own one you're affluent. Of course, the engineering and the aesthetics need to be good as they are products that are designed to be shown to anyone who wants to look at them, the owners included. Rolex have models that are in very high demand, others not so much. Same with Porsche. Rolex prices are rising, same with Porsche. The difference between the two is that Rolex are far superior with their marketing. What Rolex have done is what UK football clubs have done for their supporters. They've created a need without any logic. Premier league footballl club supporters will follow their clubs and pay whatever it takes no matter what. They'll complain about it all day long but will continue to support the 'brand'. Rolex owners/fans are the same. They'll complain all day long about the watches that aren't available yet still add themselves to a hypothetical waiting list and woe betide anyone who even so much as challenges their belief system.

As for the OP, unfortunately Rolex success in marketing has also created problems for those who genuinely want to own a Rolex because they like them. They are now a commodity and are being used as an investment by speculators. which is driving prices up. We're in a time where low risk investment such as banks is pointless, their interest rate offerings are pathetic. So people with disposable income are looking for other places to invest their money and what better way than to buy something that is small, you can put away in a safe and be fairly certain that it's not going to lose money. As with all speculation you have to watch the market and the trick is finding the right time to sell.

From Rolex point of view, they have been in a position to increase production to meet demand for a long time. What they need to do is produce enough stock to meet some of the demand, enough to keep demand high and not too little that the grey market prices get out of control and their main customers (those at the bottom of the tree who buy one or two watches) don't lose faith and move to another brand. It would take a lot for that to happen but eventually some potential owners may start to think, I'll never own a Rolex. That's when the Rolex bubble will burst and Rolex don't want that. I imagine that by drip feeding reports of upping production and may be opening a new factory or two, they will just keep demand high enough to match their marketing requirements and sustain the Rolex brand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Oscar Wilde died over a century ago and what might have been right for his time certainly isn't right now. We're in a social media age where the artists have to take notice of what the people want if they want to be a commercial success. As with everything, there are exceptions but for the majority, to continue their work they need an income.

Suggesting that Rolex create art is a peculiar comment. Their cosmetic designers are no doubt artists but Rolex is an engineering company pure and simple and a large, multi national engineering company at that. Realistically, it's no different to someone like Porsche. It's a brand which people recognise, some people like, others don't. There's nothing particularly special about either brand but their success in both cases is about creating a perception that if you own one you're affluent. Of course, the engineering and the aesthetics need to be good as they are products that are designed to be shown to anyone who wants to look at them, the owners included. Rolex have models that are in very high demand, others not so much. Same with Porsche. Rolex prices are rising, same with Porsche. The difference between the two is that Rolex are far superior with their marketing. What Rolex have done is what UK football clubs have done for their supporters. They've created a need without any logic. Premier league footballl club supporters will follow their clubs and pay whatever it takes no matter what. They'll complain about it all day long but will continue to support the 'brand'. Rolex owners/fans are the same. They'll complain all day long about the watches that aren't available yet still add themselves to a hypothetical waiting list and woe betide anyone who even so much as challenges their belief system.

As for the OP, unfortunately Rolex success in marketing has also created problems for those who genuinely want to own a Rolex because they like them. They are now a commodity and are being used as an investment by speculators. which is driving prices up. We're in a time where low risk investment such as banks is pointless, their interest rate offerings are pathetic. So people with disposable income are looking for other places to invest their money and what better way than to buy something that is small, you can put away in a safe and be fairly certain that it's not going to lose money. As with all speculation you have to watch the market and the trick is finding the right time to sell.

From Rolex point of view, they have been in a position to increase production to meet demand for a long time. What they need to do is produce enough stock to meet some of the demand, enough to keep demand high and not too little that the grey market prices get out of control and their main customers (those at the bottom of the tree who buy one or two watches) don't lose faith and move to another brand. It would take a lot for that to happen but eventually some potential owners may start to think, I'll never own a Rolex. That's when the Rolex bubble will burst and Rolex don't want that. I imagine that by drip feeding reports of upping production and may be opening a new factory or two, they will just keep demand high enough to match their marketing requirements and sustain the Rolex brand.
    I wasn’t suggesting Rolex created art, you’ve massively over thought it in your War and Peace response. It was in a list of quotes about supply and demand - in short always make less than people want. Don’t change because demand tells you to.

In short always make less than people want. Don’t change because demand tells you to.
    Not so sure that really works in the long term.

I know a few people that have wanted to purchase a nice watch and possibly would have gone for a Rolex. These same people have all gone with other brands due to the supply issues and the arrogance they felt from AD’s.

Will it hurt Rolex, possibly not but the majority of people buy one nice watch, keep it and move on with life.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post

What Artists are you referring to ? this is a very muddled post .

For the first time in 10 years I bought a watch last week from my local Rolex/Tudor AD and the couple next to me - after trying on a couple of gold datejusts - were shocked when they were told there was a year to eighteen month wait for the 2 watches they wanted, and they left without asking to be put on a waiting list etc - as I tried on pretty much the entire Tudor catalogue (bar the chronos and this years releases). They had a store full of Rolex ‘show pieces’ (basically the DJ’s nobody wanted 5 years ago) and the mental gymnastics they went through to explain the ridiculous situation to customers was quite amusing. I left with my new purchase feeling like a bit of a fraud tbh - no waiting list, 80% of the brand at 20% of the price and 0% of the wait. As a man in his early 50’s I’ve grown out of the brand worshipping thing (this applies to everything not just watches) and don’t have any patience at all for what I’ll politely call marketing BS. The whole place was oozing with sales cheese and the smell of greed and the aforementioned BS. How anyone actually falls for the pantomime I have no idea?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They'd just sell out instantly to all the tzers who "refuse to buy over retail".

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They'd just sell out instantly to all the tzers who "refuse to buy over retail".
    Vintage pieces are different but for a product that is meant to be currently in production, I don't think there's anything wrong with "refusing to buy over retail".

Those that choose to buy over retail are the type of mugs that just bought the 124060 from SC for £12,000 and effectively gave Del Boy £5,000 for using TZ advice to work out how to get his mits on one quick then immediately flog it.

Purely on principal, I'm not going to give scalpers my money...I can happily do without a Rolex if thats the only way to get hold of one. I won't allow materialistic desires make me throw cash at someone who doesn't deserve it...quite happy to be that tz'er you describe!
    Last edited by Christian; 24th April 2022 at 18:50.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cool

…you’ve massively over thought it in your War and Peace response.
    Thanks for the lol!

There seems to be a fair amount of noise about prices starting to come down on the grey market. Also dealers withdrawing or marking watches as sold to only re-advertise them later.

Also dealers withdrawing or marking watches as sold to only re-advertise them later.
    This is news?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This is news?
    True, WF do it constantly!

True, WF do it constantly!
    Grey market have done it for years.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Grey market have done it for years.
    Often done when a good customer says they would like the watch to prevent further enquiries and then they flake or decide on trying they don’t want it, customers also can return items. Not really much point doing it otherwise
    RIAC

Not really much point doing it otherwise
    It can also create the illusion the watch was sold for the asking price keeping prices artificially high and adding to the hype.

Master
    There seems to be a fair amount of noise about prices starting to come down on the grey market. Also dealers withdrawing or marking watches as sold to only re-advertise them later.
    Seems to me like this ‘noise’ about prices coming down happens every year. Around this time as well I think.

Regardless it can’t always keep going up every month, there’s going to be peaks and troughs.

Grand Master
    It can also create the illusion the watch was sold for the asking price keeping prices artificially high and adding to the hype.
    That is a fantasy I assure you, at no point in my years in the trade did I know of anyone who did this or any point in doing so, if you mark it sold you lose clients as they go elsewhere
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Seems to me like this ‘noise’ about prices coming down happens every year. Around this time as well I think.

Regardless it can’t always keep going up every month, there’s going to be peaks and troughs.
    People are tired of it thats true, supply is still relatively low though so whilst it may not continue and indeed many of the bimetal and precious metal along with steel non sports will have a correction in the main it will always be fairly healthy for classic steel sports Rolex, perhaps less so for the other 2 companies .
    RIAC

Master
    The crazy price rises of Jan and Feb were nuts so it wouldn't be a surprise if they stepped back a bit.
    No supply will ensure that prices will remain strong imo.

Good 4 digit vintage stuff has been the best buy recently.
    prices have remained pretty stable

Grand Master
    Would you rock the OP at retail?

https://www.watchcrunch.com/Max/post...at-retail-7532

Really good channel I think.
    RIAC

Would you rock the OP at retail?
    Yes, on my second OP36 although not in turquoise!

would absolutely love this situation

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I read this thread and I feel like I can work out who currently owns a Rolex and who doesn't.
    ^^ this... I'm a current Rolex owner however and frustrated at not being able to buy my Milgauss - kicking myself for missing one in NY a couple of years ago!

There seems to be a lot of talk on various platforms about greys dropping prices by substantial amounts in the USA at the moment.

There seems to be a lot of talk on various platforms about greys dropping prices by substantial amounts in the USA at the moment.
    Indeed. I don't think they were saying this 12 months ago.