closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any heating engineers here? Colder room in new build?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Had a similar problem with a room, and had lots of complex solutions offered to solve it.

In the end we simply put an electric programmable radiator in there. Problem solved. Simple. Can set the desired temperature and times you want it on, all in the inbuilt programmer.

Does it cost anything to use? Yes it uses electricity. But pretty cost effective in my opinion and it has the main advantage which is it works?

We used one of these. Easily installed by any electrician.

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/q-...ctric-radiator

Online calculator for radiator output needed for a room.

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/room-heating-calculator
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 13th February 2019 at 14:56.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Had a similar problem with a room, and had lots of complex solutions offered to solve it.

In the end we simply put an electric programmable radiator in there. Problem solved. Simple. Can set the desired temperature and times you want it on, all in the inbuilt programmer.

Does it cost anything to use? Yes it uses electricity. But pretty cost effective in my opinion and it has the main advantage which is it works?

We used one of these. Easily installed by any electrician.

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/q-...ctric-radiator

Online calculator for radiator output needed for a room.

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/room-heating-calculator
    Probably the most economical solution to be fair.

I guess working in the industry we tend to overthink things as we've had heating / CO2 emissions / building fabric efficiency rammed down our throats for the last 20 years and have become institutionalised (similar to the motor industry i suspect). The cost to stick a panel heater in there would be far more economical than retro-upgrading the fabric (wherever it's failing). Saying that to replace / upgrade the insulation in the separating floor wouldn't be difficult or costly to do and wouldn't hurt (if it's just crappy mineral wool in there like many developers use to save some money), and if you were going to do that you'd do it from underneath to save pulling the flooring up. Guess it depends on how long you plan on staying there and whether you can be arsed.

Grand Master
    I understand the principles of heat transfer etc but I’ve no experience with domestic heating systems. However, it’s clear to me that many central heating systems are quite crudely designed, I live in a modern detached house and mine could be better. We had a similar problem, the bedroom on the corner was over the garage, had two outside walls, two windows, and faced the prevailing westerly winds.

The two easiest ‘quick fixes’ are to leave the door open to allow warmer air to enter, and to fit thicker carpet and underlay. I’d also consider an oil-filled radiator plugged into a timer.

I grew up in the 60s in a cold house with no central heating, but in those days we only used bedrooms for sleeping! thesedays kids bedrooms are like dens, they spend a lot of time there, so the room does need to be warm.

The final solution to our cold bedroom issues was the stepdaughter reaching adulthood and leaving home.....but you’re a long way from that!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I understand the principles of heat transfer etc but I’ve no experience with domestic heating systems. However, it’s clear to me that many central heating systems are quite crudely designed, I live in a modern detached house and mine could be better. We had a similar problem, the bedroom on the corner was over the garage, had two outside walls, two windows, and faced the prevailing westerly winds.

The two easiest ‘quick fixes’ are to leave the door open to allow warmer air to enter, and to fit thicker carpet and underlay. I’d also consider an oil-filled radiator plugged into a timer.

I grew up in the 60s in a cold house with no central heating, but in those days we only used bedrooms for sleeping! thesedays kids bedrooms are like dens, they spend a lot of time there, so the room does need to be warm.

The final solution to our cold bedroom issues was the stepdaughter reaching adulthood and leaving home.....but you’re a long way from that!
    My dad always used to say to us 'put a bloody jumper on!'.

Central heating design and energy efficiency / thermal design used to be the remit of Architects but not anymore as they've become separate disciplines altogether (so bloody complicated and we don't have the time anymore). From my experience, particularly with large modern houses and all the reams of legislation we need to pick through before it can hit the market it's so easy to get it wrong especially with combination space heating principles (i.e. underfloor, wet rads, air con) and systems (fossil fuel, pv, ground source heat pumps, air source heat pumps, biomass etc etc) and it sometimes happens unfortunately. Problem as well is we may spec something and the developer puts something else in to save on costs (which can add up to many millions with Barratts for example building over 17,000 units last year alone).

The other things that can cause problems are amount of glass, orientation / solar gain, exposure / prevailing wind, proximity to trees believe it or not and a few others but these should be considered at the design stage and allowed for.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 13th February 2019 at 18:53.

Sounds like you have been in my exact situation.

I like some of the dimplex rads as linked above but I don’t need a fixed solution as it’s only for the cold nights, what oil filled rad would you all recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post

I like some of the dimplex rads as linked above but I don’t need a fixed solution as it’s only for the cold nights, what oil filled rad would you all recommend?
    Following with interest.

Would be good to know the pros/cons for gel based vs oil base vs electric panel.

Coincidentally, an advert for this just came on TV: https://www.fischerfutureheat.com/el...store-heaters/ - first time I've heard of them...

Better looking ones here - but interested to know how effective they really are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=lp_31...2&rnid=3147661
    Last edited by cman; 13th February 2019 at 19:45.

Late into this one.....

Do you have TRV's on the upstairs radiators? If so just close the other rooms down and leave your daughters open wide. Worth checking the locksheild valves are all open fully before you start all of this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Any heating engineers here? Colder room in new build?

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Following with interest.

Would be good to know the pros/cons for gel based vs oil base vs electric panel.

Coincidentally, an advert for this just came on TV: https://www.fischerfutureheat.com/el...store-heaters/ - first time I've heard of them...

Better looking ones here - but interested to know how effective they really are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=lp_31...2&rnid=3147661
    My Mother’s only heating is with those Fischer heaters. My Father was taken in by the sales patter and I think they were very expensive and of course cost a fortune to run. They would have been better off with traditional night storage heaters (don’t have gas).

For the OP’s needs any electric heater will cost pretty much the same to run and for one room the added cost of the electricity won’t be that prohibitive. Don’t know if wireless thermostats are widely available with electric heaters but good to have it separate from heater itself if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    My Mother’s only heating is with those Fischer heaters. My Father was taken in by the sales patter and I think they were very expensive and of course cost a fortune to run. They would have been better off with traditional night storage heaters (don’t have gas).

For the OP’s needs any electric heater will cost pretty much the same to run and for one room the added cost of the electricity won’t be that prohibitive. Don’t know if wireless thermostats are widely available with electric heaters but good to have it separate from heater itself if possible.
    Have to disagree on the Fischer heaters, my other half switched from Econ 7 to a Fischer heater and loves it. The cost to run isn't hugely different because now she's not forced to run oil filled radiator or the fan in the bathroom. Yeah it was pricey but her flat is warm now for the first time.

I'd have them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post

We had one but we gave it away years ago. Any form of electrical heating will be potentially costly, avoid fan heaters because the motor also consumes power butthey’re very good for warming a room fairly quickly.

Have to smile at the emphasis thesedays on controlling heating from your phone etc. Getting the hardware of the heating system right is the way to gain improvement, the ability to heat rooms separately to a given temperature would be ideal, that needs valves and pipework........if I’m wrong on this one I’m happy to be corrected.

The one room in my house that MUST be warm is my study/watch work room, can’t work with cold hands and wearing pullovers ir anything with long sleeves is a no-no. I suffer mildly fron Reynauds Disease and I have to keep my hands warm, fingertips get numb if I don’t. Ironically, my room’s south facing and it gets too hot to work in the summer!

As for the big housing developers cutting corners and costs......don’t get me started. Much of what goes up nowadays is dismal, too small, crammed together, tiny garages that are useless, insufficient parking space, cramped cul de sacs, small rooms......but to their credit they’re usually warm unlike the house I grew up in.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 15th February 2019 at 10:22.

Craftsman
    As for the big housing developers cutting corners and costs......don’t get me started. Much of what goes up nowadays is dismal, too small, crammed together, tiny garages that are useless, insufficient parking space, cramped cul de sacs, small rooms......but to their credit they’re usually warm unlike the house I grew up in.
    That's affirmative. Believe it or not though we do now have to deliver housing with minimum spatial design standards these days (HQI's etc for affordable housing at least) and there are calls for the same with private spec housing but the problems are twofold. Central government relaxing the rules to encourage developers to build out and not sit on their land banks (to solve the lack of homes etc) and also the cost of land itself. Many don't realise but the cost of land in this country is on the whole eye-wateringly high, and a significant majority of the price you pay for a new home is for the land it sits on not the building itself. There's an old saying in property development, 'they don't make land anymore'! That said we have the lowest floor area / smallest new homes in Europe at the moment and until that legislation comes in we're stuck with it.

Not wanting to sound like i'm sticking up for greedy developers (even though they indirectly pay my wages!) but margins are actually quite tight these days believe it or not, and it's technically really complicated with tons of pitfalls, many more than many may realise.

Anyway back to Dimplex heaters which is the main thing :)

Spend money on the heat loss through the floor, before throwing more heat into the room.

See what insulation you can install in the garage ceiling, and if you have an in-insulated steel garage door - insulate that as well.

I’m sure there will be some sort of cork/laminate insulation you can lay in the room, before re-carpeting.