closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I am looking for a ride-on mower and I found this...

Blog Entries

I am looking for a ride-on mower and I found this...

...2016 Honda HF 2417k4 on a Dutch site.

Ride-on mowers made by Honda are pretty scarce here in this country. (Like all Honda products, except motor bikes). Has any of you experience with these Honda ride-on machines or should I look elsewhere for another/better brand?

that looks like the ladies version, mens version here >

Honda makes some of the best mowers out there. I dont know specifically about that model, but if the price is right, it has been well looked after and you can get spares/service parts when needed, then it is well worth considering.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have had a Honda push mower in the past and that was great - wish I had a Honda ride-on

Same here, my Honda self propelled mower is fantastic. My John Deere ride on wasn’t, I’d avoid that make.

Don't know about mower but Honda portable generators are absolutely brilliant
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I have 2 Honda (walk behind) mowers, a Honda Strimmer and a Kawasaki Mule. They all sit in the shed for months on end in the winter.

Come summer time 2 or 3 pulls, and away they go. Also had a Honda generator in the past, unused for 2 years started second pull when I came to use it.

Genuine Japanese stuff is good kit👍

Honda make great mowers but do you really want to collect your grass? If you’ve got a large garden you’re better off mulching or you’ll end up with a mountain of clippings.

I’ve got a Husqvarna with a front mulching deck which is much more manoeuvrable than a tractor as it also has rear steer

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr
    Last edited by Alex L; 25th February 2021 at 22:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Honda make great mowers but do you really want to collect your grass? If you’ve got a large garden you’re better off mulching or you’ll end up with a mountain of clippings.

I’ve got a Husqvarna with a front mulching deck which is much more manoeuvrable than a tractor as it also has rear steer

This. Great bit of kit.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

A bit left field Menno but why not a robotic mower?
    I understand the big boy toy aspect but the novelty wears thin after a while.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    A bit left field Menno but why not a robotic mower?
    I understand the big boy toy aspect but the novelty wears thin after a while.
    That was my plan but they’re only appropriate for simple shaped gardens of less than an acre.

Blog Entries

I am glad you brought it up! Indeed, my lawn isn't all straight and square. I mig
    ht be better off with a front mower. But (and perhaps you can answer that), I want to use it as a little tractor as well. That also answers why I'm not going for a robotic mower! I would like to have a ride-on mower with a tow bar so that I can hook up a small trailer for hauling logs from the forest. Or am I asking too much from a simple mower??
    I found this:

It's a Jonsered. The exact copy of the Husqvarna. Made side-by-side in the Husqvarna factory. Husky had several brands for different parts of the world; in Asia the Japanese brand Zenoah.
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th February 2021 at 23:29.

Craftsman
    I believe my parents have that or a very similar model. They think it’s great and the few times I’ve used it, works fine but I wouldn’t say anything fantastic, certainly not for the price they paid from new.

They also have a John Deere compact tractor and this seems a more versatile machine and certainly feels like you’re getting your money’s worth, pto, hydraulics etc. They used it with a trailer, chipper, rotorvator etc and you can add a grass cutting deck too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I believe my parents have that or a very similar model. They think it’s great and the few times I’ve used it, works fine but I wouldn’t say anything fantastic, certainly not for the price they paid from new.

They also have a John Deere compact tractor and this seems a more versatile machine and certainly feels like you’re getting your money’s worth, pto, hydraulics etc. They used it with a trailer, chipper, rotorvator etc and you can add a grass cutting deck too.
    The local John Deere dealer told me that there's a big difference between JD's tractors and mowers. In fact, the quality of the mowers is not even close to their tractors: failing bearings, failing steering bushes. Not the normal JD quality.

A guy down the road (about a mile to the east) has a mini-tractor on his lawn with a 'for sale' sign. Perhaps I should pay him a visit.

Craftsman
    Honda is a good choice, just depends how much grass you have to cut and whether you are happy to mulch or pick up the cuttings.

I currently have a Husqvarna as mentioned above and a Kubota compact with topper for the bigger field.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I am glad you brought it up! Indeed, my lawn isn't all straight and square. I mig
    ht be better off with a front mower. But (and perhaps you can answer that), I want to use it as a little tractor as well. That also answers why I'm not going for a robotic mower! I would like to have a ride-on mower with a tow bar so that I can hook up a small trailer for hauling logs from the forest. Or am I asking too much from a simple mower??
    I found this:

It's a Jonsered. The exact copy of the Husqvarna. Made side-by-side in the Husqvarna factory. Husky had several brands for different parts of the world; in Asia the Japanese brand Zenoah.
    Never heard of Jonsered but looking at the picture and specs it appears very similar to my Husqvarna, although the levers look flimsy. Mine has a tow hitch and Husqvarna make a trailer but the weight limit is 225kg so probably not really designed for lugging logs https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/parts-a...275/501008201/

Be careful about generalising about Honda stuff.
    I got an old Honda ride-on re-commissioned last year (a 3011 if you are interested).
    The guy at the mower service centre was purring about the engine/gearbox combination on this old machine, he reckoned Honda hadn't made something that well for at least a dozen years.
    Our mower had been sat for over 8 years, and needed a carb re-build as the old fuel had gummed it up.
    That is all it needed. I set it straight to work in a pretty arduous location and it just got on with it. Epic machine.
    But I understand that some newer stuff is nothing like as good, engineered down to a budget rather than up to a standard.
    D

Blog Entries
    Never heard of Jonsered but looking at the picture and specs it appears very similar to my Husqvarna, although the levers look flimsy. Mine has a tow hitch and Husqvarna make a trailer but the weight limit is 225kg so probably not really designed for lugging logs https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/parts-a...275/501008201/
    Jonsered has exactly the same!

I watched a Husqvarna video and noticed that the deck (part for mowing) can be taken off the machine. That leaves virtually a small towing vehicle. That would be brilliant.

Last edited by thieuster; 26th February 2021 at 12:57.

We had that model and although we didnt exactly push it hard, it worked very well and we never had a problem. We gave it to some friends when we bought a robotic mower and they are very happy with it (they had a much larger garden).

Blog Entries
    I picked up a Husqvarna tree feller hook ('click and collect' shopping) here in the Netherlands at the Husqvarna / Jonsered dealer late this afternoon. He had a parking lot filled with mowers waiting for their annual maintenance. I asked him about the Jonsered or Husqvarna Rider because I now know that a tractor-style Honda will not match the shape of my lawn.

He had one new-old stock (2020) machine left. And he made me an offer: 25% below the normal purchase price; 30% below when I have no p/exchange machine. Which I don't have. I'm going to visit him early next week to close the deal.

Looking back at this thread: I love the way this forum helps me to re-define my 'shopping list' with new ideas, comments etc. It's always good to hear (read) other people's opinion and experience. Thanks for that.

The local John Deere dealer told me that there's a big difference between JD's tractors and mowers. In fact, the quality of the mowers is not even close to their tractors: failing bearings, failing steering bushes. Not the normal JD quality.

A guy down the road (about a mile to the east) has a mini-tractor on his lawn with a 'for sale' sign. Perhaps I should pay him a visit.
    My JD ride on was poorly built, performed poorly and was very expensive.

I picked up a Husqvarna tree feller hook ('click and collect' shopping) here in the Netherlands at the Husqvarna / Jonsered dealer late this afternoon. He had a parking lot filled with mowers waiting for their annual maintenance. I asked him about the Jonsered or Husqvarna Rider because I now know that a tractor-style Honda will not match the shape of my lawn.

He had one new-old stock (2020) machine left. And he made me an offer: 25% below the normal purchase price; 30% below when I have no p/exchange machine. Which I don't have. I'm going to visit him early next week to close the deal.

Looking back at this thread: I love the way this forum helps me to re-define my 'shopping list' with new ideas, comments etc. It's always good to hear (read) other people's opinion and experience. Thanks for that.
    Great deal, bought mine in November 2019 and it’s done over 70 hours of mowing last year. I sent it away for a routine service, clean, blade sharpen which was about £285. My father has had the same Rider as me for at least 6 years and it’s been pretty trouble free apart from a puncture and replacement belts

Apprentice

I have had one of these for a few years and it does a great job.

That was my plan but they’re only appropriate for simple shaped gardens of less than an acre.
    450X can do a simple square/round lawn of 1.2 acres or so. They can deal with any amount of complex shapes, it's just the capacity reduces a bit if it spends alot of time caught in little nooks and crannies. Can handle slopes up to 24 degrees.
    Could always get 2?
    Or wait a year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inBI6KrCLPo
    Last edited by Brighty; 27th February 2021 at 15:55.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    450X can do a simple square/round lawn of 1.2 acres or so. They can deal with any amount of complex shapes, it's just the capacity reduces a bit if it spends alot of time caught in little nooks and crannies. Can handle slopes up to 24 degrees.
    Could always get 2?
    The Ceora looks like a robot machine

We have a Toro (www.toro.com).
    Quite happy with it. Easy to mow about an acre, nice seat, headlights and cupholder (seriously).

Could always get 2?
    The 450x is a great bit of kit but I needed 2 and it was going to be a pain to wire my garden so opted for the Rider. Takes me on average 3.5 hours to cut the lawn so tend to listen to audio books on noise cancelling headphones

The 450x is a great bit of kit but I needed 2 and it was going to be a pain to wire my garden so opted for the Rider. Takes me on average 3.5 hours to cut the lawn so tend to listen to audio books on noise cancelling headphones
    2x 550 Epos and a reference station then, no boundary wire. Or Ceora next year, again no wires

Sorted ..........................
    Attached Images Attached Images

2x 550 Epos and a reference station then, no boundary wire. Or Ceora next year, again no wires
    I was reading about the GPS ones but the tech doesn’t appear to be quite there yet versus the wired systems. I’ll check out Ceora though.

All this talk of mowers, got mine out today and did my first cut of the year and in shorts!

Blog Entries
    I was reading about the GPS ones but the tech doesn’t appear to be quite there yet versus the wired systems. I’ll check out Ceora though.

All this talk of mowers, got mine out today and did my first cut of the year and in shorts!

Looks good! My lawn is more in the shade. Not too much moss though. I've taken care of that during the winter with (lawn) lime.

Mine is very mossy for the first few cuts but soon disappears. I’ve got too much grass to warrant treating it to anything other than a weekly cut.

Blog Entries

Update - bought a mower

I've decided to buy a Husqvarna Rider 2 cylinder 103 cm wide mowing deck. Thanks to Alex who convinced me to get the wider deck.

It's not a new machine. But I decided to get a second-hand (with a season-long warranty) 2 cylinder Rider. Those 2 cyl machines have a little more torque - always useful when I haul wood from the forest with that machine. I heard nothing but good comments about the Rider when I asked around. Some people here in my hamlet own a Rider since 2004, 2006 without any trouble. And they have seriously big stretches of lawn!

There was another reason to get a second-hand machine: the seller had a lot of room to haggle and I managed to get a new Husqvarna 534 chain saw for free. That saves me around 450 euros.

Thanks for all the input. It's interesting to see how one's perspective or idea can change after reading comments or experiences. After all, I started this thread considering a Honda.

Menno

Craftsman
    I had a Honda ride on for several years. Not made for the UK market in my opinion as the air blown grass blocks too easily when wet. Great engine but I hated that mower by the time it went.

Out front mulching decks are the best all round for me. I have a Stiga 4wd and fitted it with a 50mm ball at the back for easy swapping of things I want to tow.

Deck comes off easy too so you have a flexible machine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good choice, you won’t be disappointed and the larger deck will mean fewer passes. Even better you’ve got a free chainsaw too.

I've decided to buy a Husqvarna Rider 2 cylinder 103 cm wide mowing deck. Thanks to Alex who convinced me to get the wider deck.

It's not a new machine. But I decided to get a second-hand (with a season-long warranty) 2 cylinder Rider. Those 2 cyl machines have a little more torque - always useful when I haul wood from the forest with that machine. I heard nothing but good comments about the Rider when I asked around. Some people here in my hamlet own a Rider since 2004, 2006 without any trouble. And they have seriously big stretches of lawn!

There was another reason to get a second-hand machine: the seller had a lot of room to haggle and I managed to get a new Husqvarna 534 chain saw for free. That saves me around 450 euros.

Thanks for all the input. It's interesting to see how one's perspective or idea can change after reading comments or experiences. After all, I started this thread considering a Honda.

Menno

Master

Now thats a lawn to cut! Respect. I can see why folk want a cupholder

Steve

Craftsman
    Morning all

I’m currently looking at replacing my ageing Countax K18/50 and like the look of the out-front mulchers.
    During the summer I have a mulching deck on the Countax but in Autumn/Winter I put the cutting deck on in conjunction with the PGC ( powered grass collector).
    With the front mulchers here how do you manage leaves? I’ve quite a lot of trees.

Ta

Jake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Morning all

I’m currently looking at replacing my ageing Countax K18/50 and like the look of the out-front mulchers.
    During the summer I have a mulching deck on the Countax but in Autumn/Winter I put the cutting deck on in conjunction with the PGC ( powered grass collector).
    With the front mulchers here how do you manage leaves? I’ve quite a lot of trees.

Ta

Jake
    Those Riders we discussed here have tons of add-ons. Quite a few vids on YT show all sorts of useful machinery for the Rider.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Now thats a lawn to cut! Respect. I can see why folk want a beerholder

Steve
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Now thats a lawn to cut! Respect. I can see why folk want a cupholder

Steve
    Yep, it has a cup holder and is very handy for a nice cold beer while mowing

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Morning all

Ta

Jake
    I plough through leaves in autumn and it mulches them into small pieces which soon disappear. Saves me days of collecting them up and putting them in my green bins.

Craftsman
    I plough through leaves in autumn and it mulches them into small pieces which soon disappear. Saves me days of collecting them up and putting them in my green bins.
    This. They are great at disposing of leaves.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Menno
    Apparently I was one of those who had problems with Rider. I started jamming after about half a year of use, the technician said there was a problem with the motor. I'll do my best to offer suggestions on how you might get a small, comfortable tractor that will work well for all of your farm's needs. Anything might happen. I hope you will also find the compact tractor I found beneficial. I wish you luck and prosperity.
    Last edited by bobocat; 18th February 2023 at 05:27.

Blog Entries
    Two seasons with my Rider, a third one around the corner (I cannot wait!). Two summers were perfect. And in the autumn it's indeed a great leaf cutter! During these two years my lawn size has doubled. I'm cutting 4800 m2 now; about 1.2 acres.

I've added a Toro 21810 Timemaster to the fleet. For the walking exercises, so to speak. Well, some parts are hard to reach with a bulky Husky; trees etc are too close together to mow between them. And I have a Masport mower for those neat stripes.

My lawn looks knackered at the moment. It needs a good scarifying, and a kick-starter to get it growing again. March is the best period for that, I think!