closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Hi all
    Can the AD lawfully hold onto the guarantee card for 12 months when you buy a watch even if you say no ?

Yay!

Craftsman
    Yes they can

Craftsman
    Or you will get a reaction like if you refuse them to keep the card they would choose not to sell you the watch ... But I don't know if that's legal

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all
    Can the AD lawfully hold onto the guarantee card for 12 months when you buy a watch even if you say no ?
    Let's have the hundredth thread on the subject and find out!

I've bought three new watches (including a 126600 and a SS SkyDweller) and on none of the occasions were the cards kept by the AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    Yes they can
    Thanks Question answered

Craftsman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Thanks Question answered
    Only confirming because a friend work for an agent and they actually kept the card after selling a black sub date.

Only confirming because a friend work for an agent and they actually kept the card after selling a black sub date.
    If your friend was selling coke, would that make it legal ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Don't see your point, selling coke is illegal, end of story.

Master
    Why on earth would you spend thousands of pounds on a luxury watch and not accept all of the parts?

The answer is very simple - "Yes you can keep part of what I should be getting if I can keep part of what you should be getting. Shall we call it £500?"

ADs keeping anything is only happening (if indeed it really is happening) because customers are (bizarrely) letting them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Why on earth would you spend thousands of pounds on a luxury watch and not accept all of the parts?

The answer is very simple - "Yes you can keep part of what I should be getting if I can keep part of what you should be getting. Shall we call it £500?"

ADs keeping anything is only happening (if indeed it really is happening) because customers are (bizarrely) letting them.
    Good point. Now are ADs keeping the cards to stop customers from selling the watch for profit?

Master
    My AD doesn't so it's not a problem in my part of the world.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it stops the watches going to the grey dealers at inflated prices I am all for it. It will mean more watches for people who actually want to keep the watch not make a few quid, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    If it stops the watches going to the grey dealers at inflated prices I am all for it. It will mean more watches for people who actually want to keep the watch not make a few quid, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.
    I agree with you but it also depend on the AD.

Master
    I've bought three in the last year and keeping the card or leaving the stickers on wasn't mentioned.

Master
    This is a dealer-level decision, but the pressure from Rolex not to see their watches appearing outside the AD network means that some think it the only way forward to protect their agency.

I know at least one further independent AD who has not yet been retaining warranty cards on relevant models, but is about to do so.

H

Master
    Good point. Now are ADs keeping the cards to stop customers from selling the watch for profit?
    It's absolutely none of their business what you do with the watch once you own it. Flush it down the toilet, give it to your dog, sell it, even wear it(!) - it's your watch.

It's not their job to police use once sold, it's their job to sell watches. (And arguably, people selling them on simply creates more demand and results in more sales)..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    This is a dealer-level decision, but the pressure from Rolex not to see their watches appearing outside the AD network means that some think it the only way forward to protect their agency.

I know at least one further independent AD who has not yet been retaining warranty cards on relevant models, but is about to do so.

H
    Agree I think this trend is going to be more noticed in the future

Master
    It's absolutely none of their business what you do with the watch once you own it. Flush it down the toilet, give it to your dog, sell it, even wear it(!) - it's your watch.

It's not their job to police use once sold, it's their job to sell watches. (And arguably, people selling them on simply creates more demand and results in more sales)..
    Well said! Also they cannot legally hold onto the guarantee card. Its part of the sales package. It belongs to the purchaser to do what ever they want with.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

H
    Totally true especially the smaller retailers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Well said! Also they cannot legally hold onto the guarantee card. Its part of the sales package. It belongs to the purchaser to do what ever they want with.
    Ok then they say don't buy the watch will go to next on the list choice is yours!!

Master
    I’ve seen loads of these threads (on here mainly), but I’m yet to hear of anyone whose bought a watch without being given the card and gone back sometime later to demand it. Has that happened and if so how did you get on?

I know it divides opinion but for me personally if it meant me getting hold of a hard to get watch it wouldn’t be an issue at all. I’d be wearing the watch which is what really matters for me. Yes I could take the moral ‘who do you think you are to dictate what you’ll do with my watch’ highground, but supply is scarce nowadays so I either put up with it or do without.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Ok then they say don't buy the watch will go to next on the list choice is yours!!

You could always buy the watch and refuse to leave the shop until they give it to you.

You could always buy the watch and refuse to leave the shop until they give it to you.
    Yes you could do that and still say no you going to after go down legal route and they will never give you another watch in future

Master
    Yes you could do that and still say no you going to after go down legal route and they will never give you another watch in future

Who cares. There are plenty of ADs. Could always get a friend or family member to buy on your behalf.

Who cares. There are plenty of ADs. Could always get a friend or family member to buy on your behalf.
    Well they you go who cares great answer

The 'sales package' is whatever they agree to sell you and they can legally attach conditions to the sale.

If not happy go elsewhere.

Yawn.

Blog Entries
    Not this topic AGAIN. For goodness sake. Couldn’t a zombie thread be resurrected instead?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The 'sales package' is whatever they agree to sell you and they can legally attach conditions to the sale.

If not happy go elsewhere.
    They would have to put that in writing for it to be legal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not this topic AGAIN. For goodness sake. Couldn’t a zombie thread be resurrected instead?
    Why put your nose in a thread if you're not interested in it?

Why put your nose in a thread if you're not interested in it?
    To be perfectly frank this subject has been discussed to death, buy it or don't buy it, quite a few of us don't care one way or another. Crack on.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    To be perfectly frank this subject has been discussed to death, buy it or don't buy it, quite a few of us don't care one way or another. Crack on.
    My point still stands.

They would have to put that in writing for it to be legal.
    They wouldn't, contract can be verbal.

Master

But the point is, they're not giving you the watch, they're selling it for full price. So it should come with everything that you've paid for.

Imagine buying a Ferrari and them keeping one wheel 'in case you sell it'. Not great analogy I know because you can still wear the watch, but the point stands. You don't pay for something and then let them keep part of it - if they want to hang on to the card for whatever reason fine, hang on to some of the money.

What happens when you go back in six months time and the bloke you dealt with has moved on and no one else knows what you're on about?

If it's really true (and I have my doubts that it is) then it is absolutely absurd that people allow shops to treat them this contemptibly.

Master
    They wouldn't, contract can be verbal.
    Anyway, I think its very silly and customers shouldn't put up with this kind of cr*p. We English do a lot of complaining but never do anything about it. It seems to be a cultural trait. Take the raising of pension age. In the UK we just rolled over and took it. In France there were strikes when they tried to do it. There are many other examples.

Sometimes I wonder if we've turned into a bunch of wimps in the UK!
    Last edited by Tiny; 28th February 2018 at 20:34.

If it's really true (and I have my doubts that it is) then it is absolutely absurd that people allow shops to treat them this contemptibly.
    It absolutely is true. People have the choice to accept their stupid terms or they can just walk away. Nobody is going to be harmed by not buying a luxury watch.

It really is very simple.

Anyway, I think its very silly and customers shouldn't put up with this kind of cr*p. We English do a lot of complaining but never do anything about it. It seems to be a cultural trait. Take the raising of pension age. In the UK we just rolled over and took it. In France there were strikes when they tried to do it. There are many other examples.

Sometimes I wonder if we've turned into a bunch of wimps in the UK!

You're right! Don't buy the Rolex, but go on strike outside the dealer's doorway!

I'm with you comrade!

Master
    No, just insist on getting what you've just paid a LOT of money to buy. All of it.

Master
    It absolutely is true. People have the choice to accept their stupid terms or they can just walk away. Nobody is going to be harmed by not buying a luxury watch.

It really is very simple.
    Then we should tell them to shove their Rolex's up their a*sess if that's the way they want to treat customers. There are plenty of other nice watches to buy. It really is that simple.

Master
    Does that include the diet stuff too Alistair?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I want to see and it will happen the time an owner goes in after 6 or 12 months as per the AD stipulations and the card has gone AWOL or has been issued to someone else by mistake ?

It will also be interesting when someone says I'll just give Rolex a ring to see what their opinion is and what will happen and what will you do if my Warranty card goes missing after the 6-12 months ?

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    I want to see and it will happen the time an owner goes in after 6 or 12 months as per the AD stipulations and the card has gone AWOL or has been issued to someone else by mistake ?

It will also be interesting when someone says I'll just give Rolex a ring to see what their opinion is and what will happen and what will you do if my Warranty card goes missing after the 6-12 months ?
    Wouldn't be Rolex problem.

Master
    Wouldn't be Rolex problem.

I know that but it's a problem to the guy who is left holding something that's worth £2k less by the clueless and careless staff of some ADS ( not all btw ) making their own rules up not enforced by Rolex to hold a Warranty card that is not their property of an item that has been paid for in full by a paying customer ?

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    I know that but it's a problem to the guy who is left holding something that's worth £2k less by the clueless and careless staff of some ADS ( not all btw ) making their own rules up not enforced by Rolex to hold a Warranty card that is not their property of an item that has been paid for in full by a paying customer ?
    Well the AD will make amends. All speculation anyway, why not start a thread if this ever happens? They can make their own rules up but it's up to the buyer to play along or not.

Personally if I was in the market for one and this policy makes it easier for me, all to the good.

Master
    Well the AD will make amends. All speculation anyway, why not start a thread if this ever happens? They can make their own rules up but it's up to the buyer to play along or not.

Personally if I was in the market for one and this policy makes it easier for me, all to the good.

If it was me I'd either ask politely for the card and if declined get something in writing to say who put the card away and what date it will be released , that way I have some proof that it's been kept by the AD .

Speculation along with a bit of paranoia maybe but trust me somewhere down the line !

As for the AD making amends what can he do to make it right only thing is to refund you in full ?
    RSC Service Sir , still not enough ?
    Last edited by marksh; 28th February 2018 at 23:41.

Master
    Well the AD will make amends.
    Of course they will. :D

Warranty card sir? No, no, you'd have been given that with the watch, we wouldn't have it. Sorry we can't help you, goodbye.

Banned
    I recently purchased a Rolex from a local AD.
    I phoned up on the off chance to see if they had one in and was surprised to hear "yes we have"
    I was told on the phone it was someone else but they could not collect for a couple of weeks.
    I was also told if I was interested I had to collect that day no HP and the warranty card would to kept for six months.
    For me this was not a problem as I wanted the watch to keep.