closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First come first serve on SC or not?

Master

First come first serve on SC or not?

Hi,

Just wondering what users opinions are regarding sales in Sales Corner. Is it a first come first serve basis on who an item gets sold to? Is there an etiquette that should be adhered to?

All my sales on SC have gone to the first person to reply with a confirmed “yes I’ll take it if still available” kind of response. This, in my eye is how it should be and is the most fairest way of doing it.

Recently, I replied to a SC post in less than 1 minute, on both the thread and a PM confirming that I’ll take it. I then got a reply many hours later thanking me for my interest and he’ll reply tomorrow. I replied fair enough, no rush and we’ll speak soon, assuming that it must be mine because I was sure I was the fastest to reply... 2 days later I then get a reply saying “thanks for your interest OHPF”, then nothing and no replies to further messages.

What that’s supposed to mean I have no idea but I wasn’t very impressed tbh.

Views?

I don't sell anything until I've checked people out on H+V. If I've had a choice, I've always preferred selling to people I've sold to before (someone has six of my watches) Everyone has a right to choose who to sell with according to whatever criteria they see fit. Some people might prefer to sell f2f if possible. Some people might prefer not to sell to people with entitled attitudes. Who knows, it's none of our business.

I'll normally sell to the 1st person but in all honesty I have in the past skipped the 1st guy to sell to someone I've dealt with before who I know for sure is a genuine enthusiast and not a hoover/dealer/chancer.

Master
    Both fair points. I do have lots of feedback in H&V and I’m a collector/flipper and definitely not a “forum hoover” lol.

I was just curious of other users opinions. Oh well. You win some and you lose some I suppose.

Master
    Seller's choice.

If the first person to PM is an absolute timewaster/forum hoover are you under obligation to sell to him regardless?

No, it's for the seller to decide who buys his item in my opinion.

And as mentioned above, if it's someone you've built up a relationship with or dealt with before, why pass them by?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do a quick check ie post count, H&V and how long he as been a forum member. When you think of the value it seems the sensible thing to do.

Master
    All things being equal I would sell to the first responder but I do take into account feedback and also ease of transaction/delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I'll normally sell to the 1st person but in all honesty I have in the past skipped the 1st guy to sell to someone I've dealt with before who I know for sure is a genuine enthusiast and not a hoover/dealer/chancer.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    Both fair points. I do have lots of feedback in H&V and I’m a collector/flipper and definitely not a “forum hoover” lol.

I was just curious of other users opinions. Oh well. You win some and you lose some I suppose.

I think the flipper is the problem maybe ! It would'nt bother some people ,me included if you purchased at my asking price. But some will get the hump if you buy then flip quickly ( I realise sometimes this can not be helped and is for genuine reasons ) especially if its not offered first on SC and you sell it on Ebay .

I do a quick H&V check and if nothing stands out then it's first come, first served.

There are a few on ze list who I just won't deal with but it's never been a problem.

Maybe the seller had a better offer? Ultimately, it's the seller's choice who they sell to for whatever reason and there's not much you can do about it.

Craftsman
    Pm-ed a couple of sellers on SC fairly quickly and didn't get a response, which I assume was just due to the lack of any previous dealings with me/the age of my account/my post count. Cash was always ready and was up for a quick deal, but I do agree the seller gets to choose.

Master
    Totally agree with what’s been said. “Flipper” was the wrong term tbh. The only watches I’ve flipped are cheaper g-shocks and the like and one breitling, which I actually purchased new from a shop and sold a couple of weeks later on SC at a loss. I’ve never gained from anything I’ve sold. More expensive watches I tend to keep for a long time. I purchased my SD4K nearly 5 years ago from SC and still have it now along with many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    People I won’t deal with I add to my ignore list. I think it stops them send PM as well - so easy to filter them out. Else I tend to sell to first responder but with due diligence. In the end the seller can sell to anyone - not only the first responder.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    Hi,

Recently, I replied to a SC post in less than 1 minute, on both the thread and a PM confirming that I’ll take it. I then got a reply many hours later thanking me for my interest and he’ll reply tomorrow. I replied fair enough, no rush and we’ll speak soon, assuming that it must be mine because I was sure I was the fastest to reply... 2 days later I then get a reply saying “thanks for your interest OHPF”, then nothing and no replies to further messages.
    That's priddy shiddy behaviour really IMO. Why they don't man up and say "Sorry, I'd rather not sell to you"

I normally just deal with the first person to contact me, but appreciate that others vet who they deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That's priddy shiddy behaviour really IMO. Why they don't man up and say "Sorry, I'd rather not sell to you"
    Because in most cases that would be inaccurate: I haven’t sold much here (if anything) but I used to sell a lot more on a knife forum. Although I had a few names ‘on ze list’, I would most of the time wait at least a couple of hours and up to a day before checking my messages. If no name stood out (people I knew IRL, people I’d dealt with before, etc.) I would take the first pm received. But that was fairly rare.
    Rq: knife selling is more delicate than watch from a legal perspective so selling to someone you don’t know is more risky.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It wasn't Captain Slow was it ? 😁

As with others first come first serve but will go for someone I've dealt with before if they were early doors on the message.

One thing I would say is if the item was over £2.5k I would go for someone who could do F2F due to RMSD.

Master

That was my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, people need to be vetted before going ahead with a purchase or sale. I do myself and I’m sure anyone who’s sensible does the same. I have nothing but positive feedback so even more reason why I was a bit miffed to have had that reply. It left a bad taste in my mouth tbh. First negative experience I’ve ever had on TZ.
    Ultimately it’s the sellers choice but I feel it could have been dealt with in a far better manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not ebay
    Some people dont want to ship abroad, some others prefer people they dealt with in the past

Master
    Getting more like facebook every day, lol.
    In all honesty if someone wants to buy something from you then they don't just vanish after expressing an interest, but that also applies to the seller, i know we lead bust lives but you should try and respond to potential buyers quickly, to either discount them, or deal with them, don't forget everyone needs to start somewhere with their H&V ratings.

Master
    If there were no red flags then first response gets it for me but the seller gets to choose which I respect.

Master
    First contact gets first refusal, with me and if I accept an offer I stick to it even if I receive a better offer before the sale has been confirmed with the first bidder.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    First contact who us prepared to pay asking price or close enough for me.

The difficulty arises when the first contact makes an offer that isn’t enough for me to bite their hand off, In some respects they should get chance to offer a bit more, but what if someone else has made a better offer that’s acceptable?

That’s the drawback when you offer low, everyone likes a bargain but you run the risk of not getting the watch and not getting chance to improve your offer. If you really want a watch and you’re prepared to pay the asking price it sometimes makes sense to pay it straight up and not mess around.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to think it was first come, first served, but experience of human nature would lead me to think differently!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    First contact gets first refusal, with me and if I accept an offer I stick to it even if I receive a better offer before the sale has been confirmed with the first bidder.
    'Bidder'? Gazumping on SC?

Blog Entries

100% agree

I've only sold a few items here and generally I would sell to the first taker but if I had 2 matching offers 1 from someone local and 1 long distance I would go with the local one face to face for convenience

Master
    To be fair, do you know you we’re even first?

It could have been you were 2nd/3rd even for all we know from the info given here. I’ve replied to others that weren’t first to keep them in line and then had to tell them it was sold but I usually tell people what position they’re in.

If it was something like the recent (cheap) Submariner there was probably someone on it as the seller pressed submit thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    To be fair, do you know you we’re even first?

It could have been you were 2nd/3rd even for all we know from the info given here. I’ve replied to others that weren’t first to keep them in line and then had to tell them it was sold but I usually tell people what position they’re in.

If it was something like the recent (cheap) Submariner there was probably someone on it as the seller pressed submit thread.
    I'm not sure the OP is talking about being 1st or not, I think his point is the lack of communications from the seller is what's p!$$ed him off some.

Master
    I'm not sure the OP is talking about being 1st or not, I think his point is the lack of communications from the seller is what's p!$$ed him off some.
    It’s exactly the title of the thread and the content of his first post. Talking about being 1st and etiquette of selling to 1st come 1st served... “assuming it must be mine because I was sure I was the fastest”

I’m not a prolific SC user, but for me it’s much as others have said already - seller’s choice.

All things being equal, the first acceptable offer gets to buy, and if I accept their offer in writing I’ll honour that regardless of any later offers.

However, before acceptance I’ll be checking ‘ze list’, H&V & post history. If I don’t like you I won’t be selling to you - at any price or order of offer.

I’ve generally had very pleasant transactions with nice folk, but from reading some of the stories on here, poor or non-existent communication seems to cause a lot of the issues.

If it is one of the silly low price deals I'll sometimes put on SC I now just select someone I know is a good guy from the PMs. Makes me laugh when I put something up and someone says 'Yes Please' when a few weeks back they will have called me a dealer or mentally unhinged in the Bear Pit. So for 'market priced' stuff I'll sell to most people, for crazy low priced stuff I'll be more choosy and I'll also avoid the WTBs if it is a crazy price in order to let more people have a chance of owning something they may have thought was beyond their means. Plus it gets to stay on the forum.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Sellers choice, I find it amusing when someone assumes because they first dibbed means they get it and then take the huff when they don’t, followed up by forensic investigations of time item posted against time of their response post or pm.

I was a bit miffed when I had this done to me as a relatively new member (about a year) I understand why some do this but personally wouldn’t do it myself and would sell to the first responder.
    It’s not a hanging offence though and it’s up to the seller.

As someone that has no discoverable* feedback on H&V, I hope that doesn't count against me.

Than again, seeing as I've managed to buy a fair amount and sell a little over the years it doesn't seem to have been a hindrance.

* I think I have a fair amount of positive feedback on H&V but, having a username that's too short for the vBulletin search mechanism there's no way for me nor anyone else to find it** :-(
    ** if anyone knows how to find H&V feedback for <4 character usernames then I'd be delighted to know***
    *** unless of course it turns out that I have oodles of feedback and it's all negative...

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I was a bit miffed when I had this done to me as a relatively new member (about a year) I understand why some do this but personally wouldn’t do it myself and would sell to the first responder.
    It’s not a hanging offence though and it’s up to the seller.
    I get that you'd be miffed and I've never skipped a forum member for being new. What I have done before is skipped a long term, low post count member whose only contributions to the forum were in Sales Corner.
    I have also specified I'd be a picky seller in a sales thread too which I think was fair warning: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ean-1200m-Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    As someone that has no discoverable* feedback on H&V, I hope that doesn't count against me.

Than again, seeing as I've managed to buy a fair amount and sell a little over the years it doesn't seem to have been a hindrance.

* I think I have a fair amount of positive feedback on H&V but, having a username that's too short for the vBulletin search mechanism there's no way for me nor anyone else to find it** :-(
    ** if anyone knows how to find H&V feedback for <4 character usernames then I'd be delighted to know***
    *** unless of course it turns out that I have oodles of feedback and it's all negative...
    You add a * after so gyp*

No, this rule doesn't work on here for many. There are reasons why it shouldn't (bad feedback, known flipper, profiteer, dealer). But, some people follow other reasons which make less sense, however it's their prerogative at the end of the day.

Master
    I had a similar situation a while ago where a seller initially replied to my offer to buy at the asking price, but shortly thereafter binned me for a local buyer. I was prepared to fly over to collect, as I have done a couple of times, so was a bit miffed. But hey I am a big boy.
    And karma did its work a short time later.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I’ll sell to whomever I chose, first come has no bearing. Whether I’ve dealt before or the H&V posts will inform my decision who to sell to. Location also a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    You add a * after so gyp*
    Have you found any using that approach or is that simply a suggestion?

I've tried it in H&V and found nothing (though it hasn't complained that the search term is too short). Elsewhere it finds longer words that start gyp but not gyp on its own.

I know they are there though...

eg

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?457715-Gyp-Hero!

First come first serve on SC or not?

So a Google search instead of relying on Tz search?

Edit: I tried with Gyp and Hero but nothing came up. Someone more talented than me is required.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 14th December 2019 at 17:08.

I'm on another forum (bicycle related) and there's definitely first come first serve basis visible. Thread opens, people just comment with ''dibs'', ''2nd dibs'' and it seems like most of it works that way. Sometimes, the seller doesn't want to post, and even though somebody was really fast with their ''dibs'', they don't get the item because another guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow etc... So, I guess it depends on the item, the seller. Everyone's different.

By the way - I still can't see the Sales Corner section (on my account) and once I can, I will be a forum hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Have you found any using that approach or is that simply a suggestion?

I've tried it in H&V and found nothing (though it hasn't complained that the search term is too short). Elsewhere it finds longer words that start gyp but not gyp on its own.

I know they are there though...

eg

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?457715-Gyp-Hero!
    It appears not to work but I’m sure it used to

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    By the way - I still can't see the Sales Corner section (on my account) and once I can, I will be a forum hoover
    I don’t think it’s the sort of attitude that will get you the watches you want. But what do I know?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sell to the first replier..........no

Sell to who you want...........yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    So a Google search instead of relying on Tz search?

Edit: I tried with Gyp and Hero but nothing came up. Someone more talented than me is required.
    Did you try Gyp and villain?

That might have worked...

(I'm glad you tried it and it didn't work as that proves it's not just me)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don’t think it’s the sort of attitude that will get you the watches you want. But what do I know?
    I hoped the devilish face will make it clear it was a joke...