closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMTMaster II x 4

GMTMaster II x 4

Finally got myself down to Rolex’s lair in St James’ this morning to transform this

Into this

Quite a refreshing change after nearly 15 years of owning this watch.

Well chuffed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Looks great. You’ve looked after it well!

I did have it serviced for the first time last year to be fair, but yes I've always kept it in good nick (without nannying it by any means - it was my only watch for at least 5 or 6 years).

Very nice, the Pepsi and jubilee work well together, like having a new watch I'd imagine.
    Phil.

Well done!

It's the right colour now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    How much was it if you don’t mind me asking? Can Pm if you prefer

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Exactly as a GMT should be, Pepsi + jubilee.

Perfect.

Congratulations on the transformation, I've had fun doing similar with mine. The jubilee bracelet i just borrowed from a Datejust and Rolex St James simply fitted it for me whilst supplying the requisite end links (502T)

Did you buy the bracelet new from Rolex? if you don't mind me asking.

You just need the plain black bezel now to make it GMT x 6, though admittedly the black bezel never sees the light of day with me.

Master

GMTMaster II x 4

I know I want one as my next watch, but the next purchase is the explorer for my wife’s 40th & by which point these will be so out of reach!

That is an amazing transformation OP, how does the jubilee wear vs the oyster?

Never had a watch on a jubilee apart from the snide Rolex my dad bought me that ticked when it shouldn’t & I adjusted the bracelet by opening up the jubilee curve pieces, leveraging with a screwdriver to remove chunks of links, assume this has a better way!

Edit: just to say when my dad bought if for me, I was 11, so pitchforks away & as you were!

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    You just need the plain black bezel now to make it GMT x 6, though admittedly the black bezel never sees the light of day with me.
    Or get a rubber b as well to make it GMT x 9

The jubilee is £900 inc VAT

Tastes change over time but this feels like the perfect "vintage" (2004!!) spec right now.

I guess that's the magic of Rolex - this watch has the DNA of its equivalents from 30/40+ years ago

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Exactly as a GMT should be, Pepsi + jubilee.

Perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Pretty reasonable that

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jubilee always looks more luxurious to me

Craftsman
    Wow that’s cheap by Rolex standards. Was that on a straight purchase or did you give them your old bracelet as well?

Straight purchase. I wasnt giving up my oyster!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Great work. That Jubilee looks magic on the GMT.

Master
    Great watch, good thread !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I expected it to be a lot more! I wonder if they would charge me that much to fit a jubilee to my BLNR?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I know I want one as my next watch, but the next purchase is the explorer for my wife’s 40th & by which point these will be so out of reach!

That is an amazing transformation OP, how does the jubilee wear vs the oyster?

Day 1 - jubilee wears similar to the oyster. The oyster from that era wasn’t especially heavy or chunky like the current version.
    I do like a jubilee though. Superb comfort.

Craftsman
    The makeover looks great

I am glad the OP is pleased; I would be too.

Very nice

What reference is the GMT? Asking because I might be buying a 16710 and a fresh jubilee bracelet would be quite exciting I think

Looks superb! Tempted to do that to mine!

I have a GMT with 5 bezels and two bracelets, incredible how the watch changes when switching from Coke/Oyster to Pepsi/Jubilee.

The GMT is such an iconic watch, difficult to beat.

Last edited by Raffe; 12th January 2019 at 00:31.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Pretty reasonable that
    Only on here can that be said for a bracelet that probably costs <£40 to make

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Only on here can that be said for a bracelet that probably costs <£40 to make
    I was thinking the same (well, the production cost including the clasp is probably a little higher than £40...).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Very nice

What reference is the GMT? Asking because I might be buying a 16710 and a fresh jubilee bracelet would be quite exciting I think
    That’s the one

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I have a GMT with 5 bezels and two bracelets, incredible how the watch changes when switching from Coke/Oyster to Pepsi/Jubilee.

The GMT is such an iconic watch, difficult to beat.

Maybe a silly question, but do you change the bezels yourself? If yes, what tools do you use? And how hard/easy is it to do?

Craftsman

GMTMaster II x 4

Day 1 - jubilee wears similar to the oyster.

I do like a jubilee though. Superb comfort
    Sorry to nitpick - is there a difference from a non aesthetic perspective, and how are you feeling having parted with the cash for it?

I think it looks great, but would need to be phenomenal for me to consider that price (but still pretty new for me!)

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Sorry to nitpick - is there a difference from a non aesthetic perspective, and how are you feeling having parted with the cash for it?

I think it looks great, but would need to be phenomenal for me to consider that price (but still pretty new for me!)
    Feel bloody great, like I’ve just bought one of the most iconic watches ever for just under a grand tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but do you change the bezels yourself? If yes, what tools do you use? And how hard/easy is it to do?
    Yes, I do it myself. Really easy to do and takes only a few minutes.

Check out this description by our very own Celia how to do it:

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I know there have been guides written before but let's face it.. People have eaten burgers before, doesn't make them never want to see one again.

I decided to switch the bezel on my SD for a fatter font variant that's beginning to mellow nicely with a brown-ish hue in certain lights.
    Sourced it over a coffee from a pal who I trust implicitly so have no qualms about it being an 80s original.

Ive never done a bezel change before and quite frankly, was butt clenched for a good 5 minutes.
    Anyway.

Current bezel with FF next to it.

Tape up the lugs. Yes. I have children's plasters. WHAT?

Take a slim blade knife and slide it between the top of the lugs and bezel, apply light leverage and it will pop off without any arguments.

Underneath the bezel itself as a very thin steel ring.
    I took it off to give it a wipe round with a q-tip and took the opportunity to clean the case underneath it.

When you put the steel ring back, it sits underneath the piece of wire at 12.00
    Dont lose that part as its the ratchet for the bezel.
    On close inspection it's an L shaped wire, the long part slides into a hole and the short L part protrudes and clicks it's way round the bezel teeth on the inside.
    Below is the cleaned ring installed under the spring.

I didn't get photos of the next bit as I was doing it but..
    To remove the current bezel insert put both thumbs at the back of the insert and push outwards.
    The insert will pop out the front.

It's a good idea to take a photo of where the pip triangle sits between the grooves of the bezel so that you can line it up from a picture rather than remounting the whole thing and then having to re-do as the lume pip is just a half click off 12.00 and it makes you want to tear your eyes out.

After youve pushed old bezel out.. The replacement is installed by laying on top and pushing downwards.
    I found that the first push gets it in, but after that, putting a cloth over the edge of a table and squishing it round 360 degrees against that works a treat as its difficult to push in using thumb force alone.
    This is quite reassuring though since the final click into place is both noisy and satisfying. Not going to fall out anytime soon.

Once the insert is in, lie the whole unit on top of the case making sure that the L spring is inside it. I just slid it over the case from 12 and down to make sure that the spring was engaged with the inner teeth.

Hold in hands and push down hard with thumbs at 45 and 15. It will audibly click back into place and you can test it by giving it a good turn round the dial.
    Check that the bezel insert is flush all round, and the mount is also flush to the case all round and you're good to go.

I would say if you've been in two minds about bezel switching but been nervous about doing it, just go for it.
    This is literally an idiots guide. I managed it with zero drama and I don't even like changing lightbulbs.
    Totally simple job and you feel like a legend for half an hour after successfully completing the mission. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Yes, I do it myself. Really easy to do and takes only a few minutes.

Check out this description by our very own Celia how to do it:
    Thanks very much for that, very interesting.

Journeyman
    Hope you enjoy it

Master
    Always loved the GMT Master and have always wanted one. This thread has now made me seriously consider selling my SD4K to get a 16710.

Congrats!

I found changing inserts a bit of a pain, so I came up with an alternative solution:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I found changing inserts a bit of a pain, so I came up with an alternative solution:-)

I like your style !

Just did exactly the same as the OP.

Sourced a classic 'full set' GMT 16700 'pepsi' for a family member, and took it to Rolex St James's to have a new Jubilee fitted.

First class service, watch looks superb, tasteful mix of vintage and modern, and new owner absolutely delighted. And, I'm pretty sure it will enjoy everyday wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Congratulations on the transformation, I've had fun doing similar with mine. The jubilee bracelet i just borrowed from a Datejust and Rolex St James simply fitted it for me whilst supplying the requisite end links (502T)

Did you buy the bracelet new from Rolex? if you don't mind me asking.

The DJ jubilee is not quite the same as it uses thinner springbars. It causes rattle and also some wear to the case using it. Its easily modified to take thicker springbars though. Just needs some bending n prying.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The DJ jubilee is not quite the same as it uses thinner springbars. It causes rattle and also some wear to the case using it. Its easily modified to take thicker springbars though. Just needs some bending n prying.
    Sorry for the bump but can you explain the above please?

Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Sorry for the bump but can you explain the above please?

Thanks

The Datejust jubilee, if you remove the end links, at the ends of it there are "loops" at the end, through which the spring bar fits.

These loops are smaller on the DJ jubilee, as it uses thinner spring bars. The GMT jubilee uses thick springbars.

If you simply fit a DJ jubilee with DJ spring bars, there will be rattle and movement, and the bracelet "loops" will rub against the case.

You can use a round nosed plier and a vise, and pry them open a bit to take the thick spring bars.

I hope this makes sense, ive got no way to upload pics.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I don't know if the sub glidelock oyster bracelet can be fitted to ceramic GMT11s but this would be my preferred option.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes you can fit a glidelock 97200 bracelet onto the GMT Master II

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The Datejust jubilee, if you remove the end links, at the ends of it there are "loops" at the end, through which the spring bar fits.

These loops are smaller on the DJ jubilee, as it uses thinner spring bars. The GMT jubilee uses thick springbars.

If you simply fit a DJ jubilee with DJ spring bars, there will be rattle and movement, and the bracelet "loops" will rub against the case.

You can use a round nosed plier and a vise, and pry them open a bit to take the thick spring bars.

I hope this makes sense, ive got no way to upload pics.
    Thanks. My wife has a Datejust on jubilee, and I’d like to try it on my GMT for a bit before I buy one, so I’ll trt this^

Master
    Correct Henk.

I've been trying to source such a bracelet without luck so far. On my WTB thread there is a way around but you do need a subc in the first place.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Feel bloody great, like I’ve just bought one of the most iconic watches ever for just under a grand
    So this has been on my mind since you first posted it, and with my birthday coming up I think it’s time!

Is there any risk of RSJ wanting to keep the oyster, as an old thread I found elsewhere warned? As I can just pop it on a leather strap but would be easier not to.

Absolutely none whatsoever