closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega discounting changes

Craftsman

Omega discounting changes

So I'm aware Omega are apparently in the process of trying to reduce discounting by ADs. Does anyone know if this has started yet?

I'm planning on buying a white Seamaster this week & was aiming to get 10% off. Do we think this is still realistic?

Well just ask in the shop and see how you get on, report back :)

Craftsman
    I got 10% on a white Seamaster Tokyo edition the other week but after asking for other since this is not an option!
    It also seems the same across the board after a few more enquiries.
    Is this the end of 10, 15% discount on Omega?

I managed 18% back in October after a day of ringing around every Omega retailer in the UK. I'd be interested to see how you get on so please keep us updated.

Journeyman
    Got 18% last month, glad I got in if it is happening

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post

That's really it. ^^^^^^^

I mean - if you are pushing for a discount and they are refusing............. what are you going to do? Quote this thread?

You have the best tool in your box - if you are prepared to walk away. (then you know exactly where you stand).

Master
    Ernst Jones have some Omega in their sale if you’re lucky enough for it to be the one you’re looking for.

Really don’t see this working too well for them.

Swiss watches direct are selling this watch at 10% discount without even asking.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Ernst Jones have some Omega in their sale if you’re lucky enough for it to be the one you’re looking for.
    Although many of the watches showing as available on the website are just a “mirage” and EJ haven’t had them in stock for months, even if it allows you to order. I was after an Omega, ordered it, had the order cancelled. When I did some digging with a sales assistant, they hadn’t had any stock for weeks before the sale went live.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Although many of the watches showing as available on the website are just a “mirage” and EJ haven’t had them in stock for months, even if it allows you to order. I was after an Omega, ordered it, had the order cancelled. When I did some digging with a sales assistant, they hadn’t had any stock for weeks before the sale went live.
    Is this not what Jura watches were doing? This seems to be more and more popular.

It is one reason we're seeeing more boutiques - direct control of pricing and brand equity. I personally think discounts are silly - but alas they're necessary as most brands are dillusional in how they price/what they think something is actually worth.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Is this not what Jura watches were doing? This seems to be more and more popular.
    Subtly different maybe…I think EJs stock system and website maintanence is chaotic whereas Jura just advertise stuff they have never had and then order it in. Same outcome though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That's really it. ^^^^^^^

I mean - if you are pushing for a discount and they are refusing............. what are you going to do? Quote this thread?

You have the best tool in your box - if you are prepared to walk away. (then you know exactly where you stand).
    Well yes of course. I'm just canvassing opinions & gauging people's recent experience. This is probably useful information no?

But yes, it had occurred to me to go onto the shop & ask them as well

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I bought a Speedmaster 2021 a few weeks ago and got approx 11% off.

I think if it had been a less popular and new model I could have got more.

Cheers, Shaun

Master
    Pointless comment! This forum is here to help people. OP wanted other people’s experiences, any info could be useful.

Craftsman
    I think this has already started. Went into my local AD last weekend who I’ve regularly gotten about 18% discount off only to be offered an absolute max of 13%. This was against an orange and white PO that’s not a great seller (although I really wanted it for my daily). At the same time we were buying an 8k diamond ring in the same store for my wife as well so I thought my previous discounts would have been a starting point.

Annoyingly they denied ever giving me a bigger discount in the past, despite the fact that I’d gotten them to match chrono 24 prices several times.

I wan’t too annoyed by them offering a poor discount, but I was about being inferred to have fibbed about the discount I had gotten from them before.

I voted with my wallet as a result: the ring was bought elsewhere (for a discount) and I bought a Tudor elsewhere. No discount on the Tudor, but I won’t be needing to pull my pants down if I ever sell it also.

Much as I love Omega, I’m tired of taking a bath come resale time, so without a decent discount any more it kills the brand for me :-(
    Last edited by NickGaters; 27th June 2021 at 16:35.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    I think this has already started. Went into my local AD last weekend who I’ve regularly gotten about 18% discount off only to be offered an absolute max of 13%. This was against an orange and white PO that’s not a great seller (although I really wanted it for my daily).

Much as I love Omega, I’m tired of taking a bath come resale time, so without a decent discount any more it kills the brand for me :-(
    Thing is without them discounting any more you won't take a bath at resale time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Thing is without them discounting any more you won't take a bath at resale time.

That's the theory. Reality may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That's the theory. Reality may be different.
    They'll just be like Rolex. Don't forget today you can walk into any Rolex AD and buy a Rolex. Probably not the one you maybe want but the less popular ones you can.

So moving forward probably Speedy Pro etc sells at RRP and you don't take a bath on resale. Probably Seamaster 300 also.

They'll just be like Rolex. Don't forget today you can walk into any Rolex AD and buy a Rolex. Probably not the one you maybe want but the less popular ones you can.

So moving forward probably Speedy Pro etc sells at RRP and you don't take a bath on resale. Probably Seamaster 300 also.

I think the Rolex Vs Omega ship has sailed. At the sensibly priced SS end anyway, not sure about PM.

Omega are now competing with Tudor. At best Omega is 70% competing with Tudor and 30% with Rolex.

I think the Rolex Vs Omega ship has sailed. At the sensibly priced SS end anyway, not sure about PM.

Omega are now competing with Tudor. At best Omega is 70% competing with Tudor and 30% with Rolex.
    I think it depends on the market globally. I'd agree the Rolex SS range has taken on a life of its own. Omega does ltd edition after ltd edition and loses identity that way. That being said Omega is fortunate to have some absolute halo pieces that the brand is well known for - arguably the Moonwatch is the most famous chronograph you can buy. To a lesser degree the Seamaster 300. I don't think they compete with Tudor - the price points are very different.

So I can see them A being strict on discounts and then B starting to restrict supply of some of their halo pieces. You already saw it with the Ed White and the Snoopy. No doubt the Speedy Pro will start to get restricted. Maybe Planet Ocean too. What worked for Patek was copied by Rolex and AP and maybe Omega want in on it. Makes it easier to hoik prices too. Let's face it if Rolex can ask £10.5k for a Daytona (mythical price anyway due to unicorn status) there is no reason an arguably more famous watch like the Moonwatch couldn't be a £7.5k watch. Make them harder to buy and punters will be all over them

I think it depends on the market globally. I'd agree the Rolex SS range has taken on a life of its own. Omega does ltd edition after ltd edition and loses identity that way. That being said Omega is fortunate to have some absolute halo pieces that the brand is well known for - arguably the Moonwatch is the most famous chronograph you can buy. To a lesser degree the Seamaster 300. I don't think they compete with Tudor - the price points are very different.

So I can see them A being strict on discounts and then B starting to restrict supply of some of their halo pieces. You already saw it with the Ed White and the Snoopy. No doubt the Speedy Pro will start to get restricted. Maybe Planet Ocean too. What worked for Patek was copied by Rolex and AP and maybe Omega want in on it. Makes it easier to hoik prices too. Let's face it if Rolex can ask £10.5k for a Daytona (mythical price anyway due to unicorn status) there is no reason an arguably more famous watch like the Moonwatch couldn't be a £7.5k watch. Make them harder to buy and punters will be all over them

Omega have milked the Speedy udder dry. It's almost like all they have are limited editions now.

The Snoopy versions are interesting and copy/pasting artificial drought tactics may work to a degree but I'd much rather have a Black Bay Chrono than another Speedy which is something I never thought I'd say.

If Omega really are getting strict then I guess it's curtains for Ernest Jones.

Wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Pointless comment! This forum is here to help people. OP wanted other people’s experiences, any info could be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    You’re absolutely right and I apologise for offending you.

I was trying to help. Here’s the long-winded version. The OP asked because the pricing structure is rumoured to have changed. So the discount one person may have received a few weeks or months ago isn’t really relevant. The only way to find out is to go and ask, and then the OP will be in a position to offer sound advice to others in the same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would Omega not offering a discount suddenly make them more desirable and less likely to take a hit on resale? Did IWC not try and buy up all their stock to try and keep the market price up on their watches?

I was trying to help. Here’s the long-winded version. The OP asked because the pricing structure is rumoured to have changed. So the discount one person may have received a few weeks or months ago isn’t really relevant. The only way to find out is to go and ask, and then the OP will be in a position to offer sound advice to others in the same boat.

Yes, but play the process through in your head:

OP goes to Omega dealership:

"I like that Speedmaster, but I was hoping for a discount"

"Sorry sir - we are not able to offer any discount"

Now what?

"I was told on good authority that up to 20% discount was available"

"No sir, like I said - we are not discounting the Omegas."

"Not even 10%?"

"No sir - we adhere to the RRP"

then what?

"People on a watch forum have said that dealers are offering up to 20%"

"They are either mistaken, or some other dealer earlier this year, perhaps?"

Buy at RRP or walk.

OR - the dealer offers between 10-20% off after humming and hawing.........................

Neither of the above scenarios are going to be influenced by whatever historical instances are offered here.

I remember back in the day that the tame Omega dealer on TZ would offer 30% discount with no sales tax.

Times have changed.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I got 32 or 33% off the bog standard Speedy a few years ago. Was ok for the money but at full price I would have bought something else instead even if it meant adding more money.

I would love to work in a car dealership and you can come in as a customer. ‘Sorry sir that was last quarters offer’.

In all seriousness negotiating can take a lot of skill and getting a flavour of the types of discount other members have gained will let the OP know if he’s getting a good deal or not.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Why would Omega not offering a discount suddenly make them more desirable and less likely to take a hit on resale? Did IWC not try and buy up all their stock to try and keep the market price up on their watches?
    It wouldn't.
    Maybe it would alter the private sales but in the trade used watches like omega iwc jlc panerai Breitling etc when offered used are being bought at around -50/60%RRP or politely refused.
    I cant really see that changing as the market thirst is for rolex AP PP RM etc.

Intersting discussion

what is most surprising is that if any manufacturer of any goods is to seen to exert 'pressure' / control over its network of dealers then it would to my knowledge (if the same as Vehicle retailing) fall seriously foul of the 'Anti-Competition act'...it is illegal to dictate to an independent retailer what they should sell any product for and it is also illegal to penalise any retailer for discounting (breaching free market trading)....the fines for breaching the act were always excruciatingly large to deter such behaviour...

that said manufacturers do 'ahem' find novel ways to make life less fruitful for those who do not tow the line by restricting supply or making investment demands until their 'will' is broken...

most conversations surrounding 'pricing' strategy are typically held off site '1 on 1' and are merely suggestions to improve the retailers profitability and ability to invest in the brand....

once the product is shipped and 'invoiced' (title changed from supplier to retailer) it is the retailers decision what they sell it for even at a loss if they see fit....

It will be interesting to see how it plays out particularly if sales are impacted and retailers are holding stock too long which is detrimental to 'cash flow'...
    Last edited by TKH; 28th June 2021 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yes, but play the process through in your head:

OP goes to Omega dealership:

"I like that Speedmaster, but I was hoping for a discount"

"Sorry sir - we are not able to offer any discount"

Now what?

"I was told on good authority that up to 20% discount was available"

"No sir, like I said - we are not discounting the Omegas."

"Not even 10%?"

"No sir - we adhere to the RRP"

then what?

"People on a watch forum have said that dealers are offering up to 20%"

"They are either mistaken, or some other dealer earlier this year, perhaps?"

Buy at RRP or walk.

OR - the dealer offers between 10-20% off after humming and hawing.........................

Neither of the above scenarios are going to be influenced by whatever historical instances are offered here.
    Struggling to figure out how you've landed at that conclusion.

There's more than one place to buy an Omega. The whole point of asking a question like this is so the customer is able to make a well informed decision at those points you've highlighted in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It wouldn't.
    Maybe it would alter the private sales but in the trade used watches like omega iwc jlc panerai Breitling etc when offered used are being bought at around -50/60%RRP or politely refused.
    I cant really see that changing as the market thirst is for rolex AP PP RM etc.
    It won't change overnight, but I imagine it would have a knock on impact down the line.

Watches like Speedmasters are in demand. If I can get one at 20-25% off in the showroom of course I'm going to expect circa 40-50% off on a used one. If I can only get them at full RRP in the showroom, suddenly 20-25% off sounds alright for a used one.

The question for me is whether they'll be able to sell them at full RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Intersting discussion

what is most surprising is that if any manufacturer of any goods is to seen to exert 'pressure' / control over its network of dealers then it would to my knowledge (if the same as Vehicle retailing) fall seriously foul of the 'Anti-Competition act'...it is illegal to dictate to an independent retailer what they should sell any product for and it is also illegal to penalise any retailer for discounting (breaching free market trading)....the fines for breaching the act were always excruciatingly large to deter such behaviour...

that said manufacturers do 'ahem' find novel ways to make life less fruitful for those who do not tow the line by restricting supply or making investment demands until their 'will' is broken...

most conversations surrounding 'pricing' strategy are typically held off site '1 on 1' and are merely suggestions to improve the retailers profitability and ability to invest in the brand....

once the product is shipped and 'invoiced' (title changed from supplier to retailer) it is the retailers decision what they sell it for even at a loss if they see fit....

It will be interesting to see how it plays out particularly if sales are impacted and retailers are holding stock too long which is detrimental to 'cash flow'...
    I think the method of dissuading dealers from discounting is to reduce their margins such that further discounting hurts the dealer.

I visited an Omega AD earlier today while passing to have another look at the new and outgoing Speedmaster and was offered a discount on both without really having to ask or push for it.

The new 2021 model was offered at £4450, older model was offered at £4050.

Just went into an OB as I was eyeing up the SM300 on SC. Looked at the Speedy too and asked if they had a Ploprof to try on.

Didn't get as far as discounts but the SM300 really is fussy both in the dial and the bracelet. The new Speedy isn't anything special and I wouldn't be plonking £4k on one let alone higher. Strange bracelet and strong taper.

They didnt have a single Ploprof in stock and advised me to try the OB in Regent Street "as that's owned by Omega so they'll have to stock it".

Strange bracelet and strong taper.
    The bracelet and clasp have ruined it more than the price IMO, it just doesn’t look right at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    The bracelet and clasp have ruined it more than the price IMO, it just doesn’t look right at all.
    Someone fairly high up in a car manufacturer told me before the new version of every car generally looks pretty ugly and the outgoing model is always nicer to look at. I asked why and was told "the new one doesn't have to look better or even be better, it just has to look different. People need to see it and know it's the new one. Looking better is the job of the facelift model".

I think this is what Omega have gone for here. They've mangled the bracelet and clasp while preserving the dial to try make it look as different as possible aka new.

Master
    Just went into an OB as I was eyeing up the SM300 on SC. Looked at the Speedy too and asked if they had a Ploprof to try on.

Didn't get as far as discounts but the SM300 really is fussy both in the dial and the bracelet. The new Speedy isn't anything special and I wouldn't be plonking £4k on one let alone higher. Strange bracelet and strong taper.

They didnt have a single Ploprof in stock and advised me to try the OB in Regent Street "as that's owned by Omega so they'll have to stock it".
    Interesting. I was expecting not to like the new speedy. When I tried it on I really liked it. The size was really nice, end links that don’t stick out made it comfortable, I like the taper of the bracelet and the new bracelet comfort and design as well. I would have preferred the micro adjusting clasp at the price point and the lines engraved on the clasp look a bit out of place. Not enough to put me off though. It’s on my maybe list of next watches.

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I would love to work in a car dealership and you can come in as a customer. ‘Sorry sir that was last quarters offer’.
    That’s rather the point I was making.

Journeyman
    seems most are offering 4 years 0% finance on these so 5-10% discount if you don't take the finance must be possible?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The only way Omega are going to hike prices considerably without discounting is to ape Rolex etc and severely limit availability and even then it's not going to work across the board and without the brand celeb/snob value - Moonwatch/Seamaster? Maybe. I can't see anyone bothering to wait or pay inflated prices for a PO.

There's too much of equal quality out there for less money imo. Glashutte/Zenith etc begin to look very compelling if Omega pushes prices up.

Craftsman
    So there were two goals I had today: i) pick up a Seamaster with a discount, and ii) use this to start a purchase history to get closer to a no-date sub.

First I went to a nice independent dealer, who was very lovely but told me no chance of any discount & that I'm looking at a five (5) year wait at least. Dear god. I then went to a chain AD, chatted to the manager who was also very nice for an hour, was offered a 10% discount & told I'd probably wait anywhere between 6-18 months for a no-date.

So now I own this & have a good feeling a shiny black sub might not be too far away. Happy days.

Thanks for the comments, except for the weirdly patronising, obtuse ones obviously. Turns out discounts are still there to be had.

Great choice. I was offered a max of 10% off a Seamaster by my Rolex AD (huge chain) back in October. Enjoy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on your purchase, but unless you have that promise of a ND Sub in writing I think you're being wildly optimistic that it'll ever appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    but unless you have that promise of a ND Sub in writing I think you're being wildly optimistic that it'll ever appear.
    Is that a thing, putting it in writing?

And I don’t think it’s wildly optimistic at all for a Submariner, they really aren’t hard to come by and are produced in big numbers compared to other models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Is that a thing, putting it in writing?

And I don’t think it’s wildly optimistic at all for a Submariner, they really aren’t hard to come by and are produced in big numbers compared to other models.
    Yeah that's what I thought. We're not talking about a Daytona or a GMT here. I mean, who knows, but he was intimating I might not have to wait that long. I'm in no hurry though tbh, got a brand new Seamaster

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Will make a great pair when it does arrive.

Apprentice
    Someone fairly high up in a car manufacturer told me before the new version of every car generally looks pretty ugly and the outgoing model is always nicer to look at. I asked why and was told "the new one doesn't have to look better or even be better, it just has to look different. People need to see it and know it's the new one. Looking better is the job of the facelift model".

I think this is what Omega have gone for here. They've mangled the bracelet and clasp while preserving the dial to try make it look as different as possible aka new.

Probably BMW. :)