closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose only one...

If you had to choose only one...

If you had to choose just one watch up to £2500 for all occasions what would it be?

The £2500 can be new or pre-owned.

Just one!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    If you had to choose just one watch up to £2500 for all occasions what would it be?

The £2500 can be new or pre-owned.

Just one!

Omega seamaster planet ocean ceramic 45mm on bracelet. Could always swap out the bracelet for leather if a "dress" watch is required.

The end.

^^^Totally agree with the PO^^^

Master
    Used or new? I'd go for either a Breitling Aerospace Evo or Onega Speedmaster. Both could be had new for around that.

Or or perhaps an Omega Seamaster ceramic?

Definitely NOT the planet ocean, lovely to look at, exc quality but compromised due to its thickness.

Aqua Terra 8500 if used or as Wayne said, Breitling Aerospace.

Master
    As said earlier, PO 8500 45mm.

I would go for a new nomos glashutte club auto. Suitable for almost any occasion.

The last Tudor Sub, a 79190, in blue.
    I know, it has sapphire and not the more characterful plexi, but it really could do anything, dressed up or down. Especially if you managed to get the silver and blue bezel inserts.

D

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Definitely NOT the planet ocean, lovely to look at, exc quality but compromised due to its thickness.

Aqua Terra 8500 if used or as Wayne said, Breitling Aerospace.
    The Aqua Terra 8500 is very nice indeed. Is the 38.5mm considered purely a dress watch or could it be one for all occasions? (subjective I know).
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 20th July 2014 at 21:32.

Banned
    Polar Explorer II

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Polar Explorer II
    For £2500? Show me!

Craftsman
    My day to day is a 38.5mm AT. It looks great with casual dress and with a more formal setting.

Would def get my vote for that price bracket. Close second would be a Black Bay but definitely not as versatile.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    For £2500? Show me!
    It'd have to be used ofc. Perhaps the SC values on these are more robust than I recall?

To be fair to you... One sold last year at 2300 but it was missing everything... Box papers, bracelet.

AT 8500 gets my vote. What's not to like?

Sport and casual,

And dressy,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    To be fair to you... One sold last year at 2300 but it was missing everything... Box papers, bracelet.
    There was one listed in April at 2850 - not a million miles away.

Master
    Seamaster Professional, with Ceramic bezel.
    Stunning watch and perfect for every occasion.

If you could get the Polar Explorer 2 for that money then it would be that as I have one as my everyday watch anyway and I love it.

Second choices would be good condition Rolex Air King (3,6,9 preferably)/Oyster/Date, failing that a Tudor Heritage Chrono (Blue).

Blog Entries
    Another tick for the PO but a 14060 must be a consideration.

Paul

Craftsman
    Another shout for either a 42mm PO or AT..... What about a pelagos for the larger wrists folk?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Seamaster Professional, with Ceramic bezel.
    Stunning watch and perfect for every occasion.
    ^ This!

Last edited by Thorien; 20th July 2014 at 22:20.

I would Sinn good with that kind of budget
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

No question it would be an Explorer1 36mm. My grail.

Apprentice
    Easy. Just echoing above with a PO.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Same here - on a bracelet for all occasions

Journeyman
    Acqua Terra for me...its beautiful and versatile.

Master
    PRS 22

Explorer I

Any iteration of it. I'm sure they'd be available for £2500

Master
    Any of my three - Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut LE, Speedy Pro, Omega SMP 2264 - could probably do the job. I like chronos (preferably centre minute type), good lume, turning bezels, quickset hour hands and decent WR; but it's hard to combine all those in a daily wearer. My Fortis is a superb all-rounder and light in titanium, but at 16mm, a bit tall. I would probably choose that out the three, though if I could agree to live without a chrono, the SMP 2264 is very hard to beat. Once on the wrist, it stays there for weeks.

The Breitling M1 could do the job, but it's as tall as the Fortis, slightly wider, and a bit ugly, which is not what you want in a daily wearer; the Rolex GMT II would be a contender, but it's outside the price range. If it's someone else's £2500, I'd follow the herd, and go Omega, with one of:
    • SMP GMT, with sword hands (which means a mod to the 2535.80 "Bond" type, or the 2234.50)
    • Planet Ocean 8500 - the titanium version would be nice, but probably too pricey
    • SMP 2264, and spare cash
    • Speedmaster Solar Impulse GMT Chrono - if I could find one for the money

Blog Entries
    A three hander Grand Seiko...

(From http://www.seiyajapan.com/products/s-sbgr073)

Master
    It'd have to be used ofc. Perhaps the SC values on these are more robust than I recall?
    Can be done...

Journeyman
    IWC Aquatimer - wearing it now!

Banned
    The Explorer 1 is also a good call (among other good calls above) ive owned one but prefer a 40mm size and quite like a date although it's not a deal breaker.

i

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    The first watch that I thought of too, not too big, not too small, good for casual wear yet doesn't look out of place with a suit.
    A real classic.

6900 solar atomic on bracelet.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    Maybe Omega Planet Ocean with black dial white numerals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    6900 solar atomic on bracelet.
    i suspect your AD might be slightly overcharging you...

i suspect your AD might be slightly overcharging you...
    I believe the OP stated 'up to' m'lud...

but seriously, I bought it around four years ago from our esteemed Dave E ( as in 'E's are good, E's are good, all Dave E's are good ) , i have worn it nearly every day, it does everything I want from a watch ( unlike all my other watches , which all have some missing or superfluous functions ) it is well comfy mate innit , it doesn't look too bad if you can swallow the star wars stoomtrooper styling, and it is incredibly reliable. Been with me four times around the globe as well as numerous school runs and trips to morrisons , etc )
    Last edited by seikopath; 21st July 2014 at 10:05.

Craftsman
    Would have to be a seamaster ceramic for me.

Banned
    I believe the OP stated 'up to' m'lud...

but seriously, I bought it around four years ago from our esteemed Dave E ( as in 'E's are good, E's are good, all Dave E's are good ) , i have worn it nearly every day, it does everything I want from a watch ( unlike all my other watches , which all have some missing or superfluous functions ) it is well comfy mate innit , it doesn't look too bad if you can swallow the star wars stoomtrooper styling, and it is incredibly reliable. Been with me four times around the globe as well as numerous school runs and trips to morrisons , etc )
    I do rather fancy picking up a 6900 some time - must be a GW though, that's the only type of G i go for. I could manage with a gulfman or similar just fine ofc but there are times when something a little nicer just feels right.

I do rather fancy picking up a 6900 some time - must be a GW though, that's the only type of G i go for. I could manage with a gulfman or similar just fine ofc but there are times when something a little nicer just feels right.
    the problem with my 'nicer' watches is that i find they are all missing some aspect of the functionality for daily wear. there is only one occasion when i thought perhaps it wasn't best to wear my g shock and that was my mums funeral.

Banned
    i dunno about that - my daily wearer is a 16600 and while i sometimes wear a G in place of it that's only cos i fancy a change really. can't think of anything missing there (that i need at any rate.)

the polar explorer 2 fits the one watch bill well. its a bit thinner and lighter than the SD so very comfortable and with the white face might be slightly better off with a suit being a little less overtly sporty (i have no issues with a suit and the SD personally)

i dunno about that - my daily wearer is a 16600 and while i sometimes wear a G in place of it that's only cos i fancy a change really. can't think of anything missing there (that i need at any rate.)

the polar explorer 2 fits the one watch bill well. its a bit thinner and lighter than the SD so very comfortable and with the white face might be slightly better off with a suit being a little less overtly sporty (i have no issues with a suit and the SD personally)
    i don't know what a 16600 is but i suspect it might be one of the rolex divers everyone is on about. it misses the backlight , second time zone and atomic timekeeping functions of the 6900 s/a all of which i use every day.

I've got a polar exp ii. it was my grail - until i got one. don't think i ever worn it.

Banned
    i don't know what a 16600 is but i suspect it might be one of the rolex divers everyone is on about. it misses the backlight , second time zone and atomic timekeeping functions of the 6900 s/a all of which i use every day.

I've got a polar exp ii. it was my grail - until i got one. don't think i ever worn it.
    yes, its the sea dweller. the hands glow enough in the dark for my purposes, i dont need a singe time zone (i regularly use a whole bunch and my phone comes in handy.) Atomic timed precision is certainly not a daily necessity for me and i should be interested to learn why it is for you? (again my phone app can provide such if required.

bit of a pity not to wear a grail?

yes, its the sea dweller. the hands glow enough in the dark for my purposes, i dont need a singe time zone (i regularly use a whole bunch and my phone comes in handy.) Atomic timed precision is certainly not a daily necessity for me and i should be interested to learn why it is for you? (again my phone app can provide such if required.

bit of a pity not to wear a grail?
    one of the things i wear a watch for is to tell the time. accuracy is important to me, that is why i value the atomic timekeeping. i never need to check or set my watch when within reach of a transmitter. ( when I'm not within a reach of a transmitter that level of accuracy isn't so important, but thats a different story ..)

i hardly wear any of my watches apart from the g . it doesn't mean i don't enjoy having them. i also am firmly in the 'watches are to be worn' camp , and that none of what i say may be logical. obviously, the exp ii is no longer a grail for me, for several reasons. once you possess a grail and all that .... that is the whole point isn't it, of having one? not so much that the journey is the goal , but once you find what you were seeking all that time you realise that what you were actually seeking was there all along etc.

Banned
    one of the things i wear a watch for is to tell the time. accuracy is important to me, that is why i value the atomic timekeeping. i never need to check or set my watch when within reach of a transmitter. ( when I'm not within a reach of a transmitter that level of accuracy isn't so important, but thats a different story ..)

i hardly wear any of my watches apart from the g . it doesn't mean i don't enjoy having them. i also am firmly in the 'watches are to be worn' camp , and that none of what i say may be logical. obviously, the exp ii is no longer a grail for me, for several reasons. once you possess a grail and all that .... that is the whole point isn't it, of having one? not so much that the journey is the goal , but once you find what you were seeking all that time you realise that what you were actually seeking was there all along etc.
    completely illogical but makes perfect sense to me!

Craftsman
    The Rolex Explorer II, or the Rolex Sub, if you can find one for that budget. If not, I'd choose a Omega SMP Bond (2531.80).

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    ^ This!

Totally agree. I've often said that the SMP is pretty much all the watch I'll ever need. It does everything. On the bracelet it is smart enough, it works with casual dress or a suit, it is small enough to tuck nicely under a shirt cuff so can be hidden away. Get the rubber strap and it gives you a great casual look too.

Blog Entries
    Omega Speedmaster Professional, as much as I hate the way the brand is going these days (so buy pre-worn, don't fund the brand!!!)

A great watch, for casual wear or dressing up.

Greg.
    Last edited by gregory; 21st July 2014 at 11:21.

Master
    For that price, I'd have to go with the Seamaster Professional as well. In fact, I have one that I wore every single day for about 10 years, until I got into the multiple watch game….