closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Craftsman

The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Haters move on, it's that time of year again (only seems like 6 months since the last releases ) where we get to speculate on what new Rolex models we won't be able to buy! Hurrah!

50th anniversary of the Explorer II? Larger Daytona? Oysterflex on something that isn't precious metal? Over to you...

They’ll reduce the size of the “v” in superlative by 2 nano-microns. Everyone will loose their minds. The ADs will only sell whatever it is out of the back door to Gary from Watchfinder anyway.
    It’ll sell like hot pants in Brazil.
    Those are my predictions.

In all seriousness I reckon it’ll be a new Explorer 2. Possibly a larger Daytona too.

Journeyman
    They’ll add an exact reissue of the 5517 to the lineup and offer a trudome plexi option on all models along with a retrofit service. There will be global riots outside ADs, society will collapse and we’ll end up in sack cloth clothing fighting over turnips.
    It’s the hols and I am drinking. Carry on...

Safe bet: new Explorer II

Longer shot: 41mm Explorer I with the new movement

A 36mm white dial Explorer would be nice.

I've been waiting for a new Explorer II but I really hope it isn't a white dial with a jet black ceramic bezel.

Daytona in 42mm would be mental and I'd consider one in WG on Oysterflex unless it's silly money.

A 42mm double red - because I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Daytona in 42mm would be mental and I'd consider one in WG on Oysterflex unless it's silly money.
    It will be...

Prediction would be a 41mm Explorer with the upgraded movement. I’d like to see them do a white one but doubt it. The only thing that makes me think it could be a possibility is that they discontinued the white OP. They’ll do something with the Exp II - for me if they just took the current design, put it back in a 40mm case with drilled lugs it would be perfect.

I’d like to see Tudor release a 38mm Ranger with closed end links, and for them to slim down the movement to make the Black Bay a thinner watch. If they could also do an all black and silver one at the same time, instead of gilt, that would be great!

Master
    The new movement in the Milgauss, maybe a slight change to it. the Air King to be killed off?

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    The new movement in the Milgauss, maybe a slight change to it. the Air King to be killed off?
    Wouldn’t be surprised if one of the Air King or Milgauss was killed off. I have no idea which is more popular. Not that popularity influences Rolex’s decisions in these matters.

Master
    I looked earlier today to see if there was a thread about this. I realised that in normal times it would have been Basel (or has that just been binned off now with so many manufacturers puling out?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    A 36mm white dial Explorer would be nice.
    That's what I like about my (admittedly 34mm) AK. It's a dead ringer for a white Explorer (if you don't look too closely).

[IMG][/IMG]

Craftsman
    Tripling of production whist dropping prices 9%.

Well, it’s April 1st ........

- - - Updated - - -

Tripling of production whist dropping prices 9%.

Well, it’s April 1st ........

My money is on some exciting new additions to the Cellini line.

Titanium Yachtmaster ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

What I’d like:

- the Daytona to get no bigger

- the Explorer II to be reduced to the 41mm case, and for it to keep the steel bezel (good differentiation between it & the rest of the steel sports, and makes sense given heritage of the model)

- a 36mm option for the Explorer 1

Blog Entries
    I've been waiting for a new Explorer II but I really hope it isn't a white dial with a jet black ceramic bezel.

I'd like to see an Exp2 with a black bezel, and preferably still 42mm. I have the polar in 42 and it wears really well.

Agree 100% with the Daytona in 42mm, might even be tempted to go grey if it's a white one!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    My thoughts on the Explorer II

Every render of it with a black ceramic bezel just looks plain wrong. Not that there's anything wrong with a 1990s TAG F1 but that's what it looks like.

However, the steel bezel which was designed to appeal to spelunkers does detract as it scratches and can't be polished easily. So a well worn Explorer II used as intended looks rough.

So is the ceramic bezel any better against rock? I'm not certain it is however if Rolex see it as a more durable alternative then how about a grey bezel to blend in with the steel case? The Explorer II still has something that differentiates it against the rest of the professional models.

In all honesty, does anyone really think that any passing buyer could tell the difference between..

Submariner
    Sea Dweller
    Sea Dweller Deep Sea

The GMT gets a slight pass as it's currently only offered with a two tone bezel and jubilee bracelet but if it were to be released with a black bezel and oyster as before it would be another one to the line up.

At present, at least the Explorer II and the Yachtmaster I currently offer something different.
    Last edited by LaurasOtherHalf; 2nd April 2021 at 09:21.

Master
    ‘spelunkers’ - I had forgotten that word; I’m pleased to have rediscovered it!

Can the ExpII be improved? Surely not... perhaps changing the orange details to a different colour...

Craftsman
    The orange is my favourite detail of the current reference as it happens.

Master
    This points to a new Explorer 2 - water resistance shown on crown with cyclops and both poles and cave exploring in the video

https://twitter.com/rolex/status/137...422149632?s=21

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This points to a new Explorer 2 - water resistance shown on crown with cyclops and both poles and cave exploring in the video

Confirmation of the new Explorer - That’s what I thought. Anniversary and all that too.

A screenshot of the snipped then edited to see a hint of numbers on the bezel. The crown underscore logo is curious.

Master
    A screenshot of the snipped then edited to see a hint of numbers on the bezel. The crown underscore logo is curious.
    That is the same underscore as on the existing Explorer 2

That is the same underscore as on the existing Explorer 2
    I know, I was expecting Triplock. Bit surprised.

Master
    Two tone Explorer II with ceramic bezel would seem to be sum of the clues so far.

Master

From that it looks like they have kept the stainless steel bezel...

Craftsman
    Two tone? You don't mean steel/gold surely?

I know, I was expecting Triplock. Bit surprised.
    Differentiation between it and the diving models. I believe the GMT is the same?

It’s bigger than the old ones, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Differentiation between it and the diving models. I believe the GMT is the same?

It’s bigger than the old ones, though.
    Must be for differentiation but I checked my BLNR earlier and it has three dots so not really sure what the reason to keep it twinlock is.

The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    From that it looks like they have kept the stainless steel bezel...
    Does it? Looks dark to me...if it is a two-tone Explorer 2, then I suspect it’d look odd with a gold bezel. More likely a black ceramic bezel with gold numerals, and a gold 24-hr hand replacing the orange one. Won’t be very nice IMO.

The Explorers should not be anything other than steel; and I have no problem with precious metal divers/Daytonas/GMTs, indeed I quite like them.

Must be for differentiation but I checked my BLNR earlier and it has three dots so not really sure what the reason to keep it twinlock is.
    I stand corrected! Thought they were Twinlock but bigger.

Right, I’m sure that crown symbol chart might have been right once upon a time, but the current steel Explorer II has the same, single line marking.

Highly doubt its two tone, now.

Master
    I think two tone reference was to steel and ceramic bezel

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

Can the ExpII be improved? Surely not... .
    I agree. I love mine and cannot really see how it can be improved-changed maybe, but not improved. I don't like green aspects on a watch so that would ruin it for me.

Master
    ‘spelunkers’ - I had forgotten that word; I’m pleased to have rediscovered it!

Can the ExpII be improved? Surely not... perhaps changing the orange details to a different colour...
    Check out the story of John Jones spelunking in nutty putt cave.

Trust me you’d never go near a cave again after reading.

Craftsman
    I would like the Pepsi from two years ago still waiting.
    Last edited by Dandandanman; 2nd April 2021 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

I watched a video on that, randomly came up on my YouTube feed. One of the grimmest ways to go imaginable. I cannot for the life of me see the attraction in pot-holing.

I had a 25% deposit put down on a Milgauss GV Z-Blue, but after months of messing around by the AD, I called it quits and got my money back.

This now means that the watch will be discontinued and used prices will rocket - this is a guaranteed certainty

Craftsman
    Rumours are end of the line for the Cellini range. Not sure about Milgauss/Air-king, maybe movement upgrades.

Can't wait to see the new Explorer II!

Do Tudor release same dates?

Display Case Backs of bog standard Rolex Movements?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Do Tudor release same dates?
    Yes.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Yes.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. That’ll be an intriguing comparison

Craftsman
    I'll be interested to see if the new Explorer II uses the same 3285 movement as used in the GMT, or they still go to the trouble of designing a larger diameter / E2-specific movement (as per the current 3187) to maintain the date windows' outboard position on the larger dial. I'd wager the latter, as Rolex aren't lacking designers and cash to develop "3287", and I guess the new E2 will have at least a decade of life in it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I watched a video on that, randomly came up on my YouTube feed. One of the grimmest ways to go imaginable. I cannot for the life of me see the attraction in pot-holing.
    I find pot holing deeply unnatural and fear inducing. There’s a couple of (Hollywood) horror films set around caving and they’re the scariest films I’ve ever seen! Off to terrify myself by googling this story now...

I find pot holing deeply unnatural and fear inducing. There’s a couple of (Hollywood) horror films set around caving and they’re the scariest films I’ve ever seen! Off to terrify myself by googling this story now...
    I’ve been pot- holing as part of a survival course and the guy in front of me - in total darkness - had a complete meltdown. The only way I settled him was by pressing the light button on the Casio I was wearing - which illuminated the whole cave (we’d been in total darkness for quite a while so eyes were fully adjusted). The network was so tight I’d never consider wearing a ‘proper’ watch in that environment but that little lightbulb was a sanity saver for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve been pot- holing as part of a survival course and the guy in front of me - in total darkness - had a complete meltdown. The only way I settled him was by pressing the light button on the Casio I was wearing - which illuminated the whole cave (we’d been in total darkness for quite a while so eyes were fully adjusted). The network was so tight I’d never consider wearing a ‘proper’ watch in that environment but that little lightbulb was a sanity saver for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We were forced to do it at school on regular adventure weekends; I think that’s why I now have a phobia! Same for being forced to abseil of massive viaducts; I don’t tolerate heights well either now! When you’re 12 you either love it or are utterly terrified of it, and being forced doesn’t help!

We were forced to do it at school on regular adventure weekends; I think that’s why I now have a phobia! Same for being forced to abseil of massive viaducts; I don’t tolerate heights well either now! When you’re 12 you either love it or are utterly terrified of it, and being forced doesn’t help!
    Your school sounds WAY cooler than my school!