closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoons

Wetherspoons

I hope once this Pandemic is over people will give companies that behave badly a wide berth. Like Wetherspoons (I'll add Sports Direct to the list also)

https://amp.theguardian.com/business...mpression=true

And sticking with the Sports Direct theme...... Newcastle United.

Season Ticket Direct Debits have just gone out whilst other clubs have been offering refunds.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

No amount of cheap beer could get me into a Wetherspoons ever again. I hope the owner loses his shirt and all his staff club together and form a workers cooperative from the ruins of his evil empire :-)

As for Sports Direct. They don't even have the minor advantage of selling anything remotely helpful to the world. To give Wetherspoon’s their due, at least beer is an inherently good thing.

Once Sports direct has ceased to exist then hopefully its staff staff could also form a workers cooperative to provide thr prisons service with all the shit tracksuits that they can buy...

Sports Direct and Witherspoon's were on ze list before this let alone now.

However I won't be using the services of Spicer Hart or a eating at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant based on how they have also treated their staff.

Craftsman
    I used to think that Wetherspoons were an OK company and treated suppliers/staff fairly. I did have concerns when Tim Martin became a "voice " for Brexit (everyone is entitled to their view on this )but he became obnoxious and it appears that this has continued in this current situation, so yes , like you Ryan , no support from me when this is all over. Cheers, John B4

Master
    I don’t really go in Wetherspoons anyway but I certainly won’t Go in now. Sports Direct, I’ve never used as I can’t abide his business ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I don’t really go in Wetherspoons anyway but I certainly won’t Go in now. Sports Direct, I’ve never used as I can’t abide his business ethics.
    Pretty much how I am over this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Just the same
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Given that I have probably only been in a Wetherspoons about three times in my entire life, I'd like to say I am withdrawing my trade (in fact I would have said this several years ago as a result of Martin's appalling Brexit propaganda), but I can say this: I'll make sure I never set foot in one, ever from now on.
    Same goes for Sports Direct - hideous place.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Thanks to the tory party in the guise of Teresa May slashing the numbers of the police force then when and if law and order break down they are 2 of the first places to get looted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Given that I have probably only been in a Wetherspoons about three times in my entire life, I'd like to say I am withdrawing my trade (in fact I would have said this several years ago as a result of Martin's appalling Brexit propaganda), but I can say this: I'll make sure I never set foot in one, ever from now on.
    Same goes for Sports Direct - hideous place.
    Wouldn’t go in Sports Direct before this all happened.
    As for ‘spoonies’ never went much before but his Brexit views would probably get my trade funnily enough.
    As for Branson, probably not.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I've been boycotting Wetherspoons for years so this means I'll have to cross over the road when I pass one. Can you do a double boycott?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    And sticking with the Sports Direct theme...... Newcastle United.

Season Ticket Direct Debits have just gone out whilst other clubs have been offering refunds.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    It's the single payment direct debit option, full payment for next season which has been taken today, absolutely scandalous. Could Ashley not have given supporters a payment holiday until the currect crisis is over and the Premiership even know when next season will start.

Ghastly places anyway.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Just out of curiosity but when this is over will folks vote with their wallets and boycott Chinese made stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Just out of curiosity but when this is over will folks vote with their wallets and boycott Chinese made stuff?
    How are you posting this message?

The government could and should have been very clear and specific earlier. But... Yes some companies could have done much more.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    How are you posting this message?
    It’s a valid question, going forward when this one breaks as it inevitably will are other options available dunno but I will have a look and then there’s lots of other Stuff, quite a bit of which is non essential truth be told or For which alternative suppliers do exist...what about you...accept poor food security, cultural quirks, animal cruelty and eventually health pandemics as the inevitable and acceptable cost of cheap stuff or use the only avenue available and vote with your wallet...I have not reached a conclusion just interested in what others think, plus there’s all the moral, humanitarian issues around supporting the regime with ones cash...

Master
    NO...would starve without my Chinese takeout

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a valid question, going forward when this one breaks as it inevitably will are other options available dunno but I will have a look and then there’s lots of other Stuff, quite a bit of which is non essential truth be told or For which alternative suppliers do exist...what about you...accept poor food security, cultural quirks, animal cruelty and eventually health pandemics as the inevitable and acceptable cost of cheap stuff or use the only avenue available and vote with your wallet...I have not reached a conclusion just interested in what others think, plus there’s all the moral, humanitarian issues around supporting the regime with ones cash...
    Everyone would be a lot better off - financially and mentally - if they bought less Stuff. You'd be bucking the trend, mind you.

To the OP - Brexit killed Weatherspoons for me, Sports Direct I will use if they have what I want, as I like to try running shoes on before I buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Chuckled very good

Bucking the trend is a way to freedom imho Nik.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonah View Post
    Thanks to the tory party in the guise of Teresa May slashing the numbers of the police force then when and if law and order break down they are 2 of the first places to get looted.
    This is G&D, and no idea what this has to do with the topic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Mine has bloody closed for however long this takes.

I’ve never spent a penny in either retailer, so unfortunately my future not spending will not hurt them, but hope everybody else votes with their wallets & we see the afore mentioned worker takeovers.

Master
    Sports Direct - allegations of profiteering made by its own staff :-

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-24/...its-own-staff/

Meanwhile, Tesco have announced that vulnerable staff, pregnant and those over 70 will get 12 weeks off on full pay.

Karma.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Ghastly places anyway.
    I agree, but how did they manage to procure so many art deco cinemas for conversion? There must be about 10 in London alone. Beautiful buildings turned into piss holes for the damned.

Wetherspoons?

Not since Brexit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    I've been boycotting Wetherspoons for years so this means I'll have to cross over the road when I pass one. Can you do a double boycott?
    Yes, but a double boycott cancels the boycott and sadly now you have to use them.

I will be going back to my local one (and any of the many in London) when it reopens.
    I haven't been to one where the premises and beer aren't as well kept as most other pubs, plus they usually have a better selection of beer which, with the CAMRA discount, is even better value than it would otherwise be

Amazing. Quite clearly the guy is scum of the earth but you, and many others, will continue to put your money in his pocket because it suits you do so. You > *. Wouldn't be seen dead in one.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Amazing. Quite clearly the guy is scum of the earth but you, and many others, will continue to put your money in his pocket because it suits you do so. You > *. Wouldn't be seen dead in one.
    and it suits you to not "be seen dead in one."...I'm sure Mr Martin will be gutted

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    and it suits you to not "be seen dead in one."...I'm sure Mr Martin will be gutted
    I'm sure he couldn't care less as there are plenty of mugs about with no morals desperate for his cess pits to reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm sure he couldn't care less as there are plenty of mugs about with no morals desperate for his cess pits to reopen.
    I don't usually descend to petty keyboard warrior stuff, but you are so sanctimonious you bring me down to (or is that up to) your level.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I don't usually descend to petty keyboard warrior stuff, but you are so sanctimonious you bring me down to (or is that up to) your level.
    It's neither.

Stopped going to a Wetherspoons as soon as I was old enough to be served .

Horrendous places.

Master
    Not really a fan of Wetherspoons, but I must say that Tim Martin very handsomely earned my respect as one of the rational good guys during the Brexit / democracy crisis, and it would take a great deal to erode that. I gather he's had a change of heart now anyway. I'll make a point of giving him a bit of custom once that's possible again.

He’s had a change of mind over his Brexit stance? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

I can't see any evidence of that.

And given this from Wikipedia:

Coronavirus

Martin criticised the shutdown of businesses during the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic, saying that it was "over the top" and that pubs should continue to operate but with social distancing measures in place.[25][26] After criticism regarding the shutdown of all pubs due the spread of Covid-19, and pushing sales until the very last minute. The following Monday Tim Martin addressed a video message to over 40.000 employees telling them the company will be unable to pay the staff as they have no cash through the tills, despite £1.8 billion turnover, and to go to work for Tesco. [27]
    To widespread criticism and outrage, he told workers they will not be paid until the Government delivers on its promise to cover 80% of wages. "Wetherspoons have left over 40,000 people without their next pay date. With no means of paying for rent, bills or food, and no warning," employees said in a letter to the media.

I made up my mind a long time ago about Martin, and it would take an awful lot to shift my opinion from him being a total ****.

So clever my foot fell off.

News to me but if he has changed his mind over Brexit it will only be because there's something in it for him.

I think Mono means he has changed his mind about paying his staff etc, not his Brexit stance.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Shocking, I hope they struggle to employ staff after all of this. Shows how much they value there staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Billy4389 View Post
    Shocking, I hope they struggle to employ staff after all of this. Shows how much they value there staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They don't seem to value their suppliers either, they've just announced they won't be paying any money owed to them until after the pubs reopen following the crisis.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think Mono means he has changed his mind about paying his staff etc, not his Brexit stance.
    I guess in the excitement not to miss a valuable trolling opportunity he missed that vital bit of information. Oh well, if monotone wants to further line the pockets of someone who puts business before lives, more fool him.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    They don't seem to value their suppliers either, they've just announced they won't be paying any money owed to them until after the pubs reopen following the crisis.

R
    That's pretty much what all the car companies have done, they are not answering phones or responding to emails it will destroy the cashflow of a considerable number of smaller companies.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that the banks are taking advantage of desperate people, if the government underwrites a loan why should anyone have to give a personnel guarantee, I heard a report on the radio this morning that they are hiking loan rates to 12% as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043896

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Don't, someone might take the bait. This is the G & D not one of TM's sh*tholes. Although I used to enjoy The Crosse Keys, Bank, mainly because the widely held down-market perception kept the hooray-henries and loadsa-money barrowboys away.

Master
    My workmates daughter used to work as an assistant manager at weatherspoons and she was run ragged for 10 hours a day for peanuts she went to work for the co op instead and never looked back unfortunately I can see this being a good thing for weatherspoons as I can see a lot of independent pubs going under after this

Likewise, I haven't been to a wetherspoons since Tim Martin's awful Brexit campaign and when they started putting out anti-EU propaganda on pub tables. Arguably by not being their customer I'm also exercising my democratic rights through action.

A couple of my mates didn't mind it so much but they too have said they'll stop going because of TM's treatment of his staff. It's a shame really since aside from their CEO I like them as a business.

Never been in one.

No.