closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help Upgrading Mac OS El Capitan

Master

Help Upgrading Mac OS El Capitan

I have 13" Macbook Pro mid 2009 with OS Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but starting to get a bit slow.
    I want to upgrade the OS to El Capitan but can't find it on the App store, does anyone know where or how to upgrade?

Thanks

Master
    Think you'll struggle unfortunately.. Apple don't list / publish the out of date versions of their operating systems or make them available through the App Store, unless you've previously already downloaded them.

I've got access to every release since Mavericks.. if you're really stumped and don't get any luck anywhere else, I'd be happy to download it and write the installer to a USB pen drive for the cost of the pen drive / posting it to you?

*edit*

Did you see this page? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206886

Master
    Will El Capitan run any quicker / better, on a mid-2009 MB Pro, than a fresh install of Snow Leopard? Genuine question - I would like to know which OS is the optimum on an older system.

Blog Entries
    It's more helpful when you upgrade the hardware (memory etc)

Menno

Craftsman
    My wife is running 10.13.4 High Sierra on her MBAir 2010 and it runs fine. I wouldn't say there is any performance improvement but then again I can't day what it would have been like left on a legacy OS as it isn't! Regularly clearing cache's and going through a disk cleaning certainly helps. Turning it off also does - ie not leaving it always on standby - this is probably the easiest way to speed it up in my experience....

Blog Entries
    Strongly suggest that you install a hard-disk cloner (useful also as a backup) like SuoerDuper (£20 I think), and before you update you take a full clone of your HD. If you after the update do not like it or is not faster, or does not run properly, you will be able to boot up directly from your SD backup and erase the new setup. Fast and easy, have used SD for the last 10 years - in addition to TimeMachine.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    It's more helpful when you upgrade the hardware (memory etc)

Menno
    Agree. New SSD and max RAM will do wonders.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Agree. New SSD and max RAM will do wonders.
    Agree. If you have the tech skills to open it up and swap out the hard drive for an SSD, you'll be blown away by the improvement in performance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Think you'll struggle unfortunately.. Apple don't list / publish the out of date versions of their operating systems or make them available through the App Store, unless you've previously already downloaded them.

I've got access to every release since Mavericks.. if you're really stumped and don't get any luck anywhere else, I'd be happy to download it and write the installer to a USB pen drive for the cost of the pen drive / posting it to you?

*edit*

Did you see this page? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206886
    Thanks

I have the basic requirements to upgrade to El Capitan, reading some web pages I can’t or shouldn’t upgrade anything newer as my laptop will not get any benefit out it, only the opposite.

I’m having problems with Chrome/Firefox and other websites opened in the search browser, the problem is that it needs updating but can’t because of my OS needs upgrading.
    Last edited by classics; 17th May 2018 at 18:26.

Master

Installed OS El Capitan

Just to let you know I have installed El Capitan (Thanks to Chicaneuk) and is currently running smoothly.

The whole process took approx 60 mins from start to finish although the screen said the install time will take 30 mins it was more like 40 mins, the only problem that I have encountered is the Turn off Bluetooth option is greyed out however I have seen a fixed on the net...

For some reason, on my faulty OS X install, in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ there was a file called com.apple.Bluetooth. In my working OS X install, this file didn’t exist. It was the only difference I could see, so I deleted it. After a restart, BEHOLD! The option to turn Bluetooth off re-appeared in both System Preferences and the menu bar.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Just to let you know I have installed El Capitan (Thanks to Chicaneuk) and is currently running smoothly.
    That's good to know, thanks for the update. My MIL's mid-2009 MacBook Pro is running Lion or some such, and grinding away at a really slow pace. I'll tell her to update to El Capitan.